PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Rand Paul calls for restoring felons' voting, gun rights

Galileo
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Sen. Rand Paul calls for restoring felons' voting, gun rights

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul told a largely black audience Monday in Louisville that he will push to restore the voting and gun-ownership rights of felons who have completed their sentences — and he will urge state Senate Republicans to follow his lead.

“I am in favor of letting people get their rights back, the right to vote ... Second Amendment rights, all your rights to come back,” he said. “I know of one man who 30-some-odd years ago had pot plants in his closet in college, got a felony conviction in college, still can’t vote, and it’s plagued him his whole life trying to get work.”

The Republican’s comments came at the Plymouth Community Renewal Center in western Louisville as he spoke with community leaders about issues that affect African Americans. Additionally, as he has done in the past, he called for doing away with mandatory minimum sentences in the federal criminal justice system, saying they are often too harsh.

MORE:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130916/NEWS01/309160090/Sen-Rand-Paul-calls-restoring-felons-voting-gun-rights

:flag:

Koolaid_Man
09-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Rand would be a great Mayor in Wasilla

Axegrinder
09-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Fuck that shit. Only a moron would arm convicted felons. Hes just sucking black dick in hopes of getting the black vote

Galileo
09-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Fuck that shit. Only a moron would arm convicted felons. Hes just sucking black dick in hopes of getting the black vote

you sound like a racist that wants to keep the black man down.

Biernutz
09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Damm Rand....Next time he will come out for free cell phones, free rent and food stamps for everyone.

Galileo
09-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Damm Rand....Next time he will come out for free cell phones, free rent and food stamps for everyone.

No, you have it ass backwards.

CosmicCowboy
09-21-2013, 10:44 AM
He's right. Hell, an ounce of weed was a felony in the 70's. Lots of good solid citizens out there with records. Might want to limit it to non-violent felonies, though.

Axegrinder
09-21-2013, 11:26 AM
you sound like a racist that wants to keep the black man down.Youve got it ass backwards, I want Cons to live with the consequences of their actions, no matter what race..especially those with any convictions deemed violent. And if you don't realize that politicians craft their speeches for their particular audiences, then you should probably not be so quick to judge.

boutons_deux
09-21-2013, 11:59 AM
FL and other red states deny felons from voting to keep blacks from voting. Another form of Jim Crow

Galileo
09-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Youve got it ass backwards, I want Cons to live with the consequences of their actions, no matter what race..especially those with any convictions deemed violent. And if you don't realize that politicians craft their speeches for their particular audiences, then you should probably not be so quick to judge.

You're a racist. Rand Paul will stamp out racism whether you like it or not.

Blake
09-21-2013, 02:26 PM
you sound like a racist that wants to keep the black man down.

So does Rand Paul

boutons_deux
09-21-2013, 02:29 PM
You're a racist. Rand Paul will stamp out racism whether you like it or not.

:lol

RP said that businessess should be "free" to refuse service to, eg, blacks.

Galileo
09-21-2013, 02:52 PM

RP said that businessess should be "free" to refuse service to, eg, blacks.

No, Rand did not say that, Rand opposes Jim Crow laws.

boutons_deux
09-21-2013, 02:58 PM
he's a racist like his father

Rand Paul aide has history of neo-Confederate sympathies, inflammatory statements

http://freebeacon.com/rebel-yell/

You can't win in racist Confederate KY unless you're a Confederate racist.

Galileo
09-21-2013, 03:30 PM
he's a racist like his father

Rand Paul aide has history of neo-Confederate sympathies, inflammatory statements

http://freebeacon.com/rebel-yell/

You can't win in racist Confederate KY unless you're a Confederate racist.

Republican Senator Rand Paul Wants To Reinstate Voting Rights For Black Men (VIDEO)

This might come as a shock to those of you who are caught up in the left-right paradigm of politics, but Republican U.S. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky has taken a bold stand in the fight for civil rights of previously convicted felons.

In a recent testimony before the Senate Judiciary committee, Rand Paul has spoken out against strict mandatory minimum sentences that disproportionally effect minorities, while also advocating for reinstating voting rights & gun ownership rights for those who have served their time.

Paul is widely considered as the Republican front-runner for the 2016 Presidential ticket.

MORE:

http://keepittrill.com/online/2013/09/republican-senator-rand-paul-reinstate-voting-rights-black-men/

:lmao

leemajors
09-21-2013, 03:33 PM
you linked keepittrill.com ?

Blake
09-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Galileo
09-21-2013, 03:49 PM

err, that's what the link says.

Spurminator
09-21-2013, 04:15 PM
I agree with him on voting rights.

Galileo
09-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Rand Paul, a Prisoner’s Best Friend?

Whatever you think of Rand Paul or his motives, current and former prison inmates— who are nobody’s constituency and possess zero lobbying power—have rarely had as impassioned a champion in Congress.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/rand-paul-a-prisoners-best-friend/?smid=fb-share&_r=0

FuzzyLumpkins
09-21-2013, 06:08 PM
He's right. Hell, an ounce of weed was a felony in the 70's. Lots of good solid citizens out there with records. Might want to limit it to non-violent felonies, though.

I don't know about terpitude either. I definitely think that the punishment that has been administered because of US drug policy needs to be revisited especially for non- violent offenders. Grand larceny not so much.

Axegrinder
09-21-2013, 06:51 PM
You're a racist. Rand Paul will stamp out racism whether you like it or not.You are a moron for making ASSumptions. I have said nothing racist. Oh and Rand Paul couldnt stamp an envelope. Galileo is spinning in his grave seeing such a judgemental dolt using his name.

Galileo
09-21-2013, 07:25 PM
You are a moron for making ASSumptions. I have said nothing racist. Oh and Rand Paul couldnt stamp an envelope. Galileo is spinning in his grave seeing such a judgemental dolt using his name.

I AM Galileo! I was cloned from Galileo's finger!

Axegrinder
09-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I AM Galileo! I was cloned from Galileo's finger!Then there must be some kind of Multiplicity thing going on for obvious reasons. Or there was a lot of poop on that finger.

boutons_deux
09-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said on Thursday that Republicans have been “winning” recent Washington battles and laid out a roadmap for how the party can use the victories to appeal to key voting blocks that fueled President Barack Obama’s 2012 re-election

by winning Washington battles, he's referring to the GOP civil war that's tearing his party apart. (http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2013/09/15/republicans-eating-their-own-episode-259382-clash-on-obamacare-opens-up-gop-civil-war/)

“Who is probably the least likely to protect your privacy among Democrats? Hillary Clinton,” Paul added. (He did not specify why he thought the former secretary of state would be so vulnerable on this issue.

On Thursday, Paul said making it an issue for Republicans to campaign on can help win over another demographic that Obama dominated in 2012 – African Americans.

This from the guy who questioned the Civil Rights Act on The Rachel Maddow Show... and then denied he ever did:

But here's the money quote:

Rand Paul:

Does anybody remember Charlie Sheen when he was kind of going crazy… And he was going around, jumping around saying, "Winning, winning, we’re winning." Well I kind of feel like that, we are winning. And I’m not on any drugs.

That's debatable.

Yes, Rand Paul thought it was a good idea to compare the GOP to Charlie Sheen... the cringe-worthy, wackadoodle guy on drugs who was losing.

And Paul wants American voters to trust him to be their next president. Good luck with that, genius. And thank you for playing:

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2013/09/20/video-rand-paul-compares-republicans-wait-charlie-sheen/

The Reckoning
09-22-2013, 04:26 AM

lol im sure they'd find a way to illegally get a gun if their motive is clear. there's nothing wrong with restoring constitutional rights once you serve out your debt to society.

The Reckoning
09-22-2013, 04:28 AM
http://keepittrill.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/rand-paul.jpg

nice shot tbh...brown bag but still a nice photo

Axegrinder
09-22-2013, 11:23 AM
lol im sure they'd find a way to illegally get a gun if their motive is clear. there's nothing wrong with restoring constitutional rights once you serve out your debt to society.There is if said convicted felon is proven violent. It would be moronic to allow violent offenders to legally obtain weapons. You think that will make gun violence stats drop? Or do you just not care? Sure they can do it ILLEGALLY, but if caught armed they go right back where they belong without needing to commit a different crime and possibly hurt another victim. Its called gun RIGHTS for a reason. Some shouldnt have that right

The Reckoning
09-22-2013, 11:52 AM
There is if said convicted felon is proven violent. It would be moronic to allow violent offenders to legally obtain weapons. You think that will make gun violence stats drop? Or do you just not care? Sure they can do it ILLEGALLY, but if caught armed they go right back where they belong without needing to commit a different crime and possibly hurt another victim. Its called gun RIGHTS for a reason. Some shouldnt have that right

maybe if our justice system focused more on rehabilitation than locking people up that wouldn't be an issue.

banning someone from society isn't going to repair anything.

boutons_deux
09-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Randian Paul is simply shilling for the gun manufacturers and their profits, which come back to him as campaign donations.

He, the NRA, gun mfrs don't give a flying fuck about 2nd Amendment. 2nd Amendment "belief" is for suckers, dupes, gun fellators, bubbas, rednecks who think the few contentious words of the 2nd Amendment, the most importatant Amendment in their benighted world, is all they need to know.

Guns are all about $$$ and the power to use those $$$ to accumulate power to accumulate more $$$ to keep duping the gun fellators and 2nd Amendment believers.

Galileo
09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Randian Paul is simply shilling for the gun manufacturers and their profits, which come back to him as campaign donations.

He, the NRA, gun mfrs don't give a flying fuck about 2nd Amendment. 2nd Amendment "belief" is for suckers, dupes, gun fellators, bubbas, rednecks who think the few contentious words of the 2nd Amendment, the most importatant Amendment in their benighted world, is all they need to know.

Guns are all about $$$ and the power to use those $$$ to accumulate power to accumulate more $$$ to keep duping the gun fellators and 2nd Amendment believers.

No, this is just a basic libertarian position on the issues. You are a troll.

boutons_deux
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM

so-called libertarianism, esp the "hate govt/no regulations" aspects are shilling positions for the 1%, the mega-corps.

Rand Paul, libertarian fraud, is as much a quid-pro-quo corrupt politician as any of them.

Axegrinder
09-22-2013, 02:58 PM
maybe if our justice system focused more on rehabilitation than locking people up that wouldn't be an issue.

banning someone from society isn't going to repair anything. Violent criminals deserve prison. How much of a bleeding heart are you? Just answer this. Do you believe that legal guns for violent ex cons would NOT lead to more crime?

The Reckoning
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Violent criminals deserve prison. How much of a bleeding heart are you? Just answer this. Do you believe that legal guns for violent ex cons would NOT lead to more crime?

we can't sustain the prison system as it is. rehabilitation would drastically decrease the upkeep of the system, and legalization of certain substances that imprison people would cut much of the population.

you're moving goalposts by citing violent crime. clearly the argument is paving forward options for non-violent convicted felons.

Axegrinder
09-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm not moving anything, I made my point and stuck to it. What I didn't do was argue against rehab for non violent, nor did I claim I was pro-drug war anti legalization etc..because I'm not. My point was simply that violent offenders should never be allowed to lawfully carry. Some consequences are necessary. And you didnt answer the question either, just deflecting as expected.

Blake
09-22-2013, 04:08 PM
I AM Galileo! I was cloned from Galileo's finger!

there was a lot of poop on that finger.

lol

Blake
09-22-2013, 04:09 PM

You are a weirdo.

angrydude
09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
so-called libertarianism, esp the "hate govt/no regulations" aspects are shilling positions for the 1%, the mega-corps.

Rand Paul, libertarian fraud, is as much a quid-pro-quo corrupt politician as any of them.

You do realize the mega-corps are the government don't you?

boutons_deux
09-22-2013, 05:47 PM
You do realize the mega-corps are the government don't you?

and?

The Reckoning
09-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm not moving anything, I made my point and stuck to it. What I didn't do was argue against rehab for non violent, nor did I claim I was pro-drug war anti legalization etc..because I'm not. My point was simply that violent offenders should never be allowed to lawfully carry. Some consequences are necessary. And you didnt answer the question either, just deflecting as expected.

keep backpedaling, you're doing a great job.

Axegrinder
09-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Not backpedaling at ALL. You are by avoiding my questions then employing the weak-ass tactic of deflection