PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Oberto better than Scola

ducks
07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Dan (Newark, DE): Rumors are swirling that the Spurs are looking to trade Rasho and unhappy Luis Scola's rights to another team. Are there any teams out there interested in this package?

SportsNation Marc Stein: (3:27 PM ET ) They're looking to trade Rasho because they're trying to dump some salary before re-signing Nazr. They don't want to trade Scola, but if they can't buy him out and someone else thinks they can, San Antonio will listen to offers. It's not like they don't want Scola here. But they're not going to pay zillions for him when Manu came to the States making around 1.5 mil as an NBA rookie. I personally like Oberto better anyway, but even if that's not a unanimous opion he's a great replacement for Scola.

timvp
07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Imagine that.

:smokin

usckk
07-22-2005, 02:45 PM
:jack

Obi wan Ginobili
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Could Marc Stein Be even More of a homer?

LoL.

usckk
07-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Haha yeah...I also noticed how Marc always stands with the Spurs!!, GRRR..unlike Steven A. Smith.

spvrs
07-22-2005, 02:48 PM
let's put a baseball bat to the hornets nest!!!

No one knows whose better than who... Maybe in a couple years we'll findout.

clubalien
07-22-2005, 02:48 PM
say it with me

You never trade big for small unless for a superstar

this isn't my rule I read it awhile back when we were trying to get a big man why is it everyone is ignoring the rule now when trying to trade rasho and scola

BTW oberto >scola
OH BOY!

SWC Bonfire
07-22-2005, 02:50 PM

Clubalien actually posted something intelligent. :lol

Dingle Barry
07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
i was really impressed until he noted that it was something he read.

spvrs
07-22-2005, 02:53 PM
You never trade big for small unless for a superstar*

*unless the big sucks and has a huge contract.

Ishta
07-22-2005, 02:55 PM
*unless the big sucks and has a huge contract.
:lol

King
07-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree with the 'don't trade big for small...' but Scola is only 6'9, and an embellished 6'9, from what I've read. Not exactly a 'big' and not irreplaceable. Not they'd be trading him for Nate Robinson.

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Not sure that Spurs will ever find any other player willing to receive less money than European's league to play in NBA.

Manu is only in his kind ... wanted and showed how big was his will to play in Spurs.

clubalien
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
all i am saying is we are trading a
starting center that plays defense and has a jumper not a bad price on contract
PLUS a gold medal winning powerforward

so we are trading TWO GOOD big man and I want my superstar

this rule goes againts us when we wanted a bigman it shouldn't when we are trading a big men unless the rule should read spurs get screwed in trades

I understand we have "too many" great big man now and need to mvoe them for a "need"

JUUOT
07-22-2005, 03:04 PM
this statement counts 99% of the time. but exception confirm general rules.

Spurs would deal rasho because nazr would agree to extend. Where is the risk?

they would have 4 Big Tim, horry, nazr and oberto under contract for at least 2 more years. it is not like it is a huge risk

plus they have Karaulov, javtokas and mahimni maturing for near future.

timvp
07-22-2005, 03:04 PM
mvoe

There ya go.

Welcome back.

:)

ace3g
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Spurs should bring in Javtokas and Scola next year

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Stein seems to think that the Spurs will keep Nazr.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-22-2005, 03:11 PM
say it with me

this isn't my rule I read it awhile back when we were trying to get a big man why is it everyone is ignoring the rule now when trying to trade rasho and scola

BTW oberto >scola
OH BOY!

Rules are meant to be broken. We need a small forward. Hopefully, the Spurs will be able to sign a free agent using the remaining mle. But if they can't, look at the roster and the minutes available per position, then look at the salary cap. Rasho or Nazr and/or Scola's rights are resources that the team may have to use to make sure they have a backup small forward next season.

JUUOT
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
i personally am 50/50 between. rasho and nazr.
as long as they pay nazr rasho type of money i am fine with it

clubalien
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
we have a SF he is BOWEN
you are trading a starting center in rasho + another good big man for someone to back up bowen

while this feels a need maybe we shoudl be trading for someone that could actual start for us

we need to rasie the bar on who we accept back

because we can play with "too many big man" so there isn't really any harm

sure project SFs are nice but when y ou are trading two great big men i think the trade isn't balanced

JUUOT
07-22-2005, 03:23 PM
club alien you are making a really good point.

spend rasho plus scola for a project sounds like over paying.
but keepingrasho and scola is not a lot better

spvrs
07-22-2005, 03:25 PM
rasho + another good big man f

rasho sucks... plus he's not a spring chicken... plus he's got a horrible contract...

if you think we are getting a super star you are layden league gm stupid

you've got to give up something to unload Rasho... enter Scola

Solid D
07-22-2005, 03:27 PM
say it with me

Generally true...not always.

Remember when the Spurs traded Dwayne Schintzius for Antoine Carr? Carr was a smaller big (4 man) and Dwayne a 7'+ center. Carr was a nice player for the Spurs, certainly not a star, but definitely the best cheerleader the Spurs have had and was a true fan favorite. Unfortunately, he got hurt before PHX series when Barkley closed down the HemisFair Arena.

clubalien
07-22-2005, 03:29 PM
horrible contract?
he took LESS to play for spurs
do you except everyone to play for the vet min
spurs didn't think it was big when they paid for it
all of a sudden if contract last past 2 years and aren't "cheap" they are horrible

houston=bad contract
rasho= reasonable

let me guess you want to sign nazr to an extention for 3 mil a year?
or is it 1.5?

bigbendbruisebrother
07-22-2005, 03:31 PM
we have a SF he is BOWEN
you are trading a starting center in rasho + another good big man for someone to back up bowen

while this feels a need maybe we shoudl be trading for someone that could actual start for us

we need to rasie the bar on who we accept back

because we can play with "too many big man" so there isn't really any harm

sure project SFs are nice but when y ou are trading two great big men i think the trade isn't balanced

You can argue the value of Rasho/Scola to your heart's content and I understand your point, but your implication that Bowen alone is sufficient at SF is incredibly short sighted. We need more than one SF. Bowen is nearly 34 years old. While he has been solid as a rock for 3 years, the rule of averages says something has to give; either we start managing his minutes in the next few seasons, or he's going to get hurt. Having one SF on a roster is a disaster waiting to happen.

spvrs
07-22-2005, 03:33 PM

and this means what? sure as fvck doesn't mean he's good.

I think we'll know more of what the front office + the league feels if a trade happens and we have to sweeten the pot with scola...

but maybe you'll know better than the rest of the gm's if that happens (alien from planet layden)

clubalien
07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
I think we should get a SF too either to back up or to replace bowen in starting line up

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
You trade big for smaller when you can address a need with a quality player in return and you have a surplus of "big".

End of sideshow.

spurster
07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Do you really save salary by trading Rasho? I think Nazr will command a much higher salary than his current contract.

clubalien
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
quality player in return that is all i am saying we need a quailty player in return

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Do you really save salary by trading Rasho? I think Nazr will command a much higher salary than his current contract.

I think Nazr will got less money than Manu or TP, otherwise Spurs will let him go.

ducks
07-22-2005, 03:40 PM
manu got less then tp
I do not think nazr rightnow would command 66 million

spvrs
07-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I think we should get a SF too either to back up or to replace bowen in starting line up

I think I deserve to be paid 1 million a year, doesn't mean it's going to happen. If a trade goes down I think we'll be able to see where the 'market' is for Rasho. Somepeople think he's a starting quality center with a reasonable contract, this type of person would get a quality player back without sweetner. Other think his contract is high and he isn't a gamer... then we shoudl see a 'salary dump' type move.

If we get someone good for just Rasho, then I was wrong...

waly.mg
07-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Scola isnīt under contract with the Spurs so you are trading Rasho for someone and Scolaīs rights, thatīs 3 million a year less

Your arenīt trading 2 players unless first sign Scola and you make a sign and trade

The Scolaīs right donīt have a value in the trades

Sense
07-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Could Marc Stein Be even More of a homer?

LoL.

Homer?

Are you serious?

He's like the best sports writer that supports the Spurs...then again, I think he's probably the best nba analyst on ESPN...this knows his shit.

I'm paying attention.

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:52 PM
manu got less then tp
I do not think nazr rightnow would command 66 million

I mentioned that as a reference, you know next year Nazr will be on FA, that could become crazy if Nazr has a good season.

For the record Manu is underpaid :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 03:54 PM

Not really. It would cost a lot to keep Rasho and retain Mohammed. I believe that was what Stein was getting at.

TheTruth
07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Trade whichever one gets you the best deal.

SpursChampsIII
07-22-2005, 04:44 PM
You always trade non-productive players for productive players
You alwasy trade non-productive players for productive players
You always trade non-productive players for productive players

Even though I like keeping Rasho and having front court depth, Harrington would be an outstanding acquisition for the Spurs. Hell, throw in Scola too since nobody knows when/if he ever shows up here. However, only trade Rasho when you lock up Nazr, or if you are 100% sure you're willing to match any offer for him next year.

FoxMulder
07-22-2005, 05:27 PM
if you want a trade for an small forward... trade Rasho for Nocioni and Deng from the Bulls (And add another argentinian to the roster)

:lol :drunk

Just kidding :spin

benjirh
07-22-2005, 07:28 PM
No one has answered my question yet. Do people really think that Oberto can cover all of Nesterovic's minutes? Can Oberto even give us 15mpg. I see him averaging 5-10mpg and showing up in 25-30 games. Nothing major, just another body to take over for tmass and marks. Am I wrong here?

timvp
07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
all of Nesterovic's minutes?

What minutes? In the playoffs, he got about as many minutes as I did.

But yeah, Oberto could step in and play some good minutes. If he proves to be able to play NBA caliber defense, he might even start.

benjirh
07-22-2005, 07:38 PM
What minutes? In the playoffs, he got about as many minutes as I did.

But yeah, Oberto could step in and play some good minutes. If he proves to be able to play NBA caliber defense, he might even start.

So are you saying that we are planning on playing Horry as much during the year as we did in the playoffs? My point is that if Oberto can't play 15-20 minutes then Tim will need to fill some time there and when he does that, Horry's time goes up. We are not stacked at the 4 and 5 right now. So if we trade Rasho, Oberto will need to play major minutes. And I am unsure he will be that kind of player.

BronxCowboy
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Harrington would be an outstanding acquisition for the Spurs.
That's as much as I could take right there. If trading for Harrington made the Atlanta Hawks even worse, there is no way in hell trading for Harrington is a good idea. But thanks for showing us what a genius you are.

Money316
07-22-2005, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=spvrs]I think I deserve to be paid 1 million a year, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

:lol :fro :lol

mookie2001
07-22-2005, 08:26 PM
a general
?

Money316
07-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I mentioned that as a reference, you know next year Nazr will be on FA, that could become crazy if Nazr has a good season.

For the record Manu is underpaid :lol

All em fuckers are overpaid cording to my creditors.

:fro :fro :fro

clubalien
07-22-2005, 08:28 PM
but he gots to feed his family

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 08:30 PM
One thing seems to be clear, the Spurs have chosen Nazr over Radoslav.

Money316
07-22-2005, 08:53 PM
but he gots to feed his family

Yeah Spree's kids ara real hungry cording to Latrell.

:fro :fro :fro

exstatic
07-22-2005, 08:57 PM
horrible contract?
do you except everyone to play for the vet min
spurs didn't think it was big when they paid for it
all of a sudden if contract last past 2 years and aren't "cheap" they are horrible

The Spurs have shown a propensity to offload big bench contracts, and that's where Rasho resides now.

As for Nazr, I'm wondering if they're working an extension NOW, and not waiting to do a new contract next summer.

SequSpur
07-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Stein seems to think that the Spurs will keep Nazr.

Didn't Nazr start for an NBA Championship team? Fuck its not rocket science who the spurs need and don't need.