PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Hospital or a Hotel?

ElNono
09-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Is This a Hospital or a Hotel?

Do patients really need room service and nail salons?

As the new St. Joseph’s Hospital in Highland, Ill., prepared to open in August, its chief executive exulted, “You feel like you could be at the Marriott.”

In the $63 million community hospital, patients all enjoy private rooms, with couches, flat-screen TVs and views of nature. Its lobby features stone fireplaces and a waterfall.

Some hospitals in the United States, like Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, have long been associated with deluxe accommodations, and others have always had suites for V.I.P.’s. But today even many smaller hospitals often offer general amenities, like room service and nail salons, more often associated with hotels than health care.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/sunday-review/is-this-a-hospital-or-a-hotel.html

boutons_deux
09-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Same goes for universities, where students are wooed with on-campus 5-star luxury accommodations, various amenities, etc, etc while, eg, adjunct professors are paid shit.

Nbadan
09-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Just another example of the poor gen-x subsidizing the me-generation baby boomers with outrages insurance premiums...

AntiChrist
09-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Just another example of the poor gen-x subsidizing the me-generation baby boomers with outrages insurance premiums...

Meh, that hospital was founded by what you guys would call hard core "jeebotards".