PDA

View Full Version : You Don't Know Jam - Interview w/NBA Jam Designer

leemajors
09-24-2013, 06:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3668922

NBA Jam is the crown jewel of coin-op, still holding the world record for most money earned at one location in a single week ($2,468).

Shaq actually bought two machines. He kept one at home and then, if you can believe this, they shipped the game with them on their road trips, setting up the machine in their hotel rooms as they traveled. The players would play, then get someone to pack it up and ship it off to the next city.

ElNono
09-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Great interview...

Did Scottie Pippen's ratings in the game really drop when he played certain teams?
It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons. If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks. There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field.

:lol

DJR210
09-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Good read.

Classic game of my childhood. I can remember walking in to Diversions Game Room or Cinemark Movies 16 here in San Antonio and immediately hearing the sounds of Mortal Kombat II and NBA Jam specifically amongsts the sounds of all the other games..putting your quarter up on the machine to reserve your spot in line. Back when Electronic Gaming Monthly or Gamepro were 300 pages long and every cover had MK or SF in some way.

diego
09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
i still play this with a couple of friends (hang time too) using emulators. good times