PDA

View Full Version : Magic agree with Dooling

timvp
07-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Magic agree with Dooling
Free agent guard played with Miami last season
By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer

The Orlando Magic have reached an agreement with free agent guard Keyon Dooling, sweetening their offer to four years and an estimated $11 million, according to NBA sources today.

Dooling will sign with the Magic when the league and its players finalize their collective bargaining agreement, which is expected to happen before August 1.

Dooling played as a reserve last season in Miami, where he averaged 5.2 points, 1.8 assists in just 16 minutes.

The Magic originally drafted Dooling in 2000 from the University of Missouri, but they traded his rights with Corey Maggette and Derek Strong as part of a salary cap clearing move.

According to sources, Dooling was promised a "chance to start,'' which is something that he didn't receive in Miami last season.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-spt-magic072205,0,5150771.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

benjirh
07-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Magic agree with Dooling
Free agent guard played with Miami last season
By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer

The Orlando Magic have reached an agreement with free agent guard Keyon Dooling, sweetening their offer to four years and an estimated $11 million, according to NBA sources today.

Dooling will sign with the Magic when the league and its players finalize their collective bargaining agreement, which is expected to happen before August 1.

Dooling played as a reserve last season in Miami, where he averaged 5.2 points, 1.8 assists in just 16 minutes.

The Magic originally drafted Dooling in 2000 from the University of Missouri, but they traded his rights with Corey Maggette and Derek Strong as part of a salary cap clearing move.

According to sources, Dooling was promised a "chance to start,'' which is something that he didn't receive in Miami last season.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-spt-magic072205,0,5150771.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

First of all, how do they figure that he will have a chance to start. If jones is still there, then he will start. And if he isn't there then they will move D-Wade to point and place someone else in the starting lineup.
Second, I thought there were several teams looking at Dooling. Is 4yrs-11mil the best he was hearing?

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 05:45 PM
He didn't sign with Miami. He signed with Orlando.

benjirh
07-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm a moron, sorry. For some reason I read it Miami agrees with Dooling.

timvp
07-22-2005, 05:56 PM
What about Jameer?

What's what I was wondering. Francis will no doubt play as a shooting guard next year in Orlando (unless they trade him). But IMO, Nelson is better than Dooling.

The Spurs had an interest in Nelson in last year's draft. If the coach's have given up on Beno, then he'd be a good target.

benjirh
07-22-2005, 06:02 PM
What's what I was wondering. Francis will no doubt play as a shooting guard next year in Orlando (unless they trade him). But IMO, Nelson is better than Dooling.

The Spurs had an interest in Nelson in last year's draft. If the coach's have given up on Beno, then he'd be a good target.

Now that I have the right team:
My guess is there telling Dooling that he will have to challenge Nelson for the starting spot. Nelson is still pretty unproven and having Dooling will give them a couple guys they can plantoon at PG. They just need to see who will win the starting job. And my guess will be Nelson since he is more of a leader on the floor. I see Dooling as a Francis type player.

ALVAREZ6
07-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Jameer was the man back here in Philly w/ St. Joe's....I hope he plays some more this season.

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 06:13 PM
There probably wasn't a team in the league with money who guaranteed him a starting spot. With reason - he's a marginal talent. Orlando was probably the only one where he could legitimately compete for the starting spot.

texbumTHElife
07-22-2005, 06:27 PM
This is absolutely a perfect fit for Orlando. Now they can move Franchise to the two and have a big PG in Dooling who can guard the other teams two on defense. If Francis can finally swallow his ego and accept his role as a shooting guard his career can be completely ressurected. However is he refuses and continues to be trouble then he is gone by the All -Star break, Dooling moves to the two and Jameer starts at the one.

Duncanoypi
07-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Dooling is always a laughing stock here in the Philippines...i mean "Dooling" here means "cross-eyed"...lol...

exstatic
07-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Now they can move Franchise to the two and have a big PG in Dooling who can guard the other teams two on defense.

??? Dooling and Francis are both 6'3", and neither is physically equipped to play the NBA 2, nor mentally equipped to play the NBA 1. They are the same player, albeit Francis costs a lot more.

ducks
07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
so he is promised he starts humm...

ChumpDumper
07-23-2005, 10:45 AM
The Magic agree with Dooling that both are pretty mediocre.

Spurologist
07-23-2005, 10:58 AM
so he is promised he starts humm...

"chance to start,''

This doesn't mean he will start, but I wonder if that's what drew him to sign. He will probably compete with Jameer for the job. I think Dooling will start, though.

HomerSimpson
07-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I guess he didn't want to back up Kidd in N.J.

ducks
07-23-2005, 11:58 AM
he was not going to get a chance to start with heat so that is why he changed teams