09-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I think the song at the 6:00 mark will be the biggest STP hit since the 90's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5T5uV6WgI

Zzakk's Garage
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the heads-up

JMarkJohns
09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
It isn't Guns N Roses without Slash, Alice N Chains without Layne, nor is it Stone Temple Pilots without Scott Weiland.

Just form a new band, make new music.

CubanSucks
09-24-2013, 11:25 PM
They sound too damn different not to be distracting. Anytime I hear Chester's voice I think back to my favorite band as an adolescent. No bueno

UZER
09-25-2013, 12:50 AM
It isn't Guns N Roses without Slash, Alice N Chains without Layne, nor is it Stone Temple Pilots without Scott Weiland.

Just form a new band, make new music.

Like Rage without Zach became Audioslave with Chris Cornell.

JMarkJohns
09-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Exactly... Don't feed me bullshit because I'm a fan. Shit, Weiland was STP. His vocals and electricity in performance made their crappy songs. And I like STP (first albums, anyways).

JMarkJohns
09-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Another is Guns without Rose added Weiland and became Velvet Revolver.

cantthinkofanything
09-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Like Rage without Zach became Audioslave with Chris Cornell.

That's a little different don't you think? They weren't trying to replicate RATM sound. You can't punish them for trying. Just punish them for being average.

UZER
09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
That's a little different don't you think? They weren't trying to replicate RATM sound. You can't punish them for trying. Just punish them for being average.

That IS exactly the point. They weren't trying replicate the sound.

Technique
09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
This shit is horrible and generic as fuck... What you mean is if we were in the 90s this lp would be a hit, if that.

The Reckoning
09-25-2013, 09:05 AM
audioslave wasn't all that bad tbh. after their debut they were meh though.

Spur|n|Austin
09-25-2013, 09:12 AM
audioslave wasn't all that bad tbh. after their debut they were meh though.

I enjoyed Audioslave, of course it wasn't RATM, but like UZER said: they weren't trying to be.

JMarkJohns
09-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Curiosity got the better of me and I listened... Won't make that mistake again.

Leetonidas
09-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Damn, is Led Zeppelin the only band in history to lose a member and say "welp, that's it for us."

cantthinkofanything
09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Damn, is Led Zeppelin the only band in history to lose a member and say "welp, that's it for us."

Winger

leemajors
09-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Didn't they already try this as Talk Show?

cantthinkofanything
09-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Didn't they already try this as Talk Show?

Talk Show was Ok

Big Empty
09-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Nice! Scott who??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ir4c9tAnQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAjsAaistW0

Mark in Austin
09-27-2013, 06:33 PM
wow. is there a worse live frontman than Bennington? Just can't carry a tune outside of a studio.

JMarkJohns
09-27-2013, 06:42 PM
It's sacrilege for someone with the name "Big Empty" to say "Scott Who?" when posting the new Stone Temple Pilots songs.

Always my favorite STP song and Weiland's vocals make that song.

JMarkJohns
09-27-2013, 06:45 PM
In those clips Bennington is trying desperately to sound like a singer and is failing miserably.

Big Empty
09-27-2013, 06:59 PM
It's sacrilege for someone with the name "Big Empty" to say "Scott Who?" when posting the new Stone Temple Pilots songs.

Always my favorite STP song and Weiland's vocals make that song.
im a big pre-heroin weiland fan and i root for him but damn...hes full of himself. he tries too hard to emulate his idols (jim morrison, keith richards) instead of just mellowing out and doing his thing. scott has all the talent in the world but is completely worthless at this point. stp isnt his priority.

HI-FI
09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
It's hard to think of many. a personal favorite of mine, Fugazi, went on hiatus since the drummer is real busy with various musical gigs to support his family. There is no plans to do anything without him even though the various members work together in other projects.

Uncle Tupelo is another who I believe just called it quits and both went off to make new bands for themselves.
it does seem most bands try to carry on, and I imagine it's simply because of branding. Once you established that name, and enjoy the lifestyle, probably hard to start from the beginning.

it does seem that when a band loses a longtime member, the dynamics are never the same. i knew when REM lost Bill Berry, they would never be the same again though I still appreciated the latter stuff.

as for STP, i bought their first album way back in the day as a kid, wasn't that impressed until Purple and Tiny Music. Weiland is a good frontman, better than Bennington, but I don't blame the DeLeo brothers for being tired of his shit. He's been screwing up a good thing from the beginning. I don't really mind them getting a different lead singer, it's like replacing a star QB, obviously the team won't be as good but it gets tiring to meet the star's demands.

leemajors
09-28-2013, 12:03 AM
im a big pre-heroin weiland fan and i root for him but damn...hes full of himself. he tries too hard to emulate his idols (jim morrison, keith richards) instead of just mellowing out and doing his thing. scott has all the talent in the world but is completely worthless at this point. stp isnt his priority.

They've been toast since 2000 if we're being generous, so why should it be any sort of priority?

koriwhat
09-28-2013, 03:15 AM
horrible.

CitizenDwayne
09-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Weiland was really the only thing noteworthy about this band in the first place imo. I'll pass.

cantthinkofanything
09-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Weiland was really the only thing noteworthy about this band in the first place imo. I'll pass.

crazy. the tunes by the DeLeo brothers gave Weiland something to sing over.

CitizenDwayne
09-28-2013, 08:48 PM
crazy. the tunes by the DeLeo brothers gave Weiland something to sing over.

The tunes were nothing special, imo. Without Weiland's charisma, they would have been just another flash-in-the-pan post-grunge band.

And Chester blows.

cantthinkofanything
09-28-2013, 08:54 PM
The tunes were nothing special, imo. Without Weiland's charisma, they would have been just another flash-in-the-pan post-grunge band.

And Chester blows.

no doubt that Chester blows...that wasn't my point. and I agree that Weiland is a great frontman with a great voice. some of the songs were generic and he made them tolerable but some like Interstate Love Song and from the second and third albums were pretty damn good. but yeah...Chester was a terrible choice

CitizenDwayne
09-28-2013, 08:57 PM
no doubt that Chester blows...that wasn't my point. and I agree that Weiland is a great frontman with a great voice. some of the songs were generic and he made them tolerable but some like Interstate Love Song and from the second and third albums were pretty damn good. but yeah...Chester was a terrible choice

That much we can agree on. I wasn't really trying to undermine the DeLeos, js you take away Weiland, you take away a very integral piece of what made STP interesting.

Now they are just another generic rock band.

cantthinkofanything
09-28-2013, 09:03 PM
That much we can agree on. I wasn't really trying to undermine the DeLeos, js you take away Weiland, you take away a very integral piece of what made STP interesting.

Now they are just another generic rock band.

I'm with you on that.

SpursRock20
10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Hopefully Weiland gets his shit together and rejoins the Deleos. I'm rooting for this new incarnation of STP, because Weiland has held this band underwater since the reunion and I desperately wanted new tunes. On the other hand, however, Scott is a huge part of what made STP special. The Deleos, as talented as they are, have never gotten success outside of STP (Army of Anyone, Talk Show) while Weiland has (both solo and with Velvet Revolver). It's clear that he holds a lot of talent, it's just a question if he is going to drop the pills and booze.