PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spurs team of all time?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Mine has to be 07.

xmas1997
09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
'99
Followed closely by '03.
The other two '05 & '07 were just icing on the cake.
Besides, DRob and Sean had retired by then, so it didn't have the impact the first two did.
The '99 championship was phenomenal.
The whole city was super infected, and there we're Go Spurs Go signs everywhere, on practically every building, every business, every car!
And when we won, the whole city closed down, no rioting at all, but even the expressways downtown had to close because fans were getting out of their cars cheering, honking horns, and happy mayhem.
There has been nothing even remotely like it ever since.
'03 wasn't even half of what '99 was.
'05 even less.
And '07 barely a celebration, hardly any signs, and not much of a celebration at all, rather hohum.
I guess we were spoiled by then.

TheyCallMePro
09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Gotta say 07. I'd never been as confident as I was entering those playoffs that we would win it all. I remember when Cleveland won the East I started celebrating early and told everyone I saw that we would sweep them.

We played DEFENCE in 07, and we had CLUTCH shooters around the Big 3. Micheal Finley instead of Danny Green. Robert Horry instead of Gary Neal. Bruce Bowen instead of Kawhi Leonard.

Boomersgold
09-30-2013, 11:34 AM

barakz21
09-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Idk about favorite, but he spurs team I detested was the 09-10 team, for a number o reasons:

1. He who must not be named
2. 7th seed
3. The centerpiece
4. Blair providing us with false hopes
5. Sweep by the suns

To be fair though, that hate was mitigated by the upset of the 2nd seeded mavs.

TheGreatYacht
09-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Mine has to be 07.I would've thought you'd pick the 2005 teams since that was Manu's best NBA Finals.

'99
Followed closely by '03.
The other two '05 & '07 were just icing on the cake.
Besides, DRob and Sean had retired by then, so it didn't have the impact the first two did.
The '99 championship was phenomenal.
The whole city was super infected, and there we're Go Spurs Go signs everywhere, on practically every building, every business, every car!
And when we won, the whole city closed down, no rioting at all, but even the expressways downtown had to close because fans were getting out of their cars cheering, honking horns, and happy mayhem.
There has been nothing even remotely like it ever since.
'03 wasn't even half of what '99 was.
'05 even less.
And '07 barely a celebration, hardly any signs, and not much of a celebration at all, rather hohum.
I guess we were spoiled by then.For the first time ever I actually agree with your order. I would debate between 99 and 03 though because both teams played terrific defense. We had the twin towers to protect the rim. We had an excellent perimeter defender in Sean Eliot and Bruce Bowen. Those were Tim Duncan's best years. Yeah, I wish I can go back and relive those times. Just got a little nostalgic here.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
I would've thought you'd pick the 2005 teams since that was Manu's best NBA Finals.
For the first time ever I actually agree with your order. I would debate between 99 and 03 though because both teams played terrific defense. We had the twin towers to protect the rim. We had an excellent perimeter defender in Sean Eliot and Bruce Bowen. Those were Tim Duncan's best years. Yeah, I wish I can go back and relive those times. Just got a little nostalgic here.

I was sitting in class today watching the 07 series against the Nuggets when Big Shot Rob drained that three to stop Melo and Iverson's comeback. Great, great times.

xmas1997
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
The '99 year was a truly amazing one that I will never forget because it was so long in coming. It was a fantastic time to be a long time Spurs fan. All the years of disappointment that preceded it finally came to a head.
The only down side was when that ignorant jerk off Phil Jackson said it should have an asterisk because of the strike shortened season.

Sean Cagney
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
2003 was the most FUN IMO! We went through LA and our Rivals Dallas that year, dethroned the 3 time champ and D Rob went out on Top! That year was just crazy, Tim at his best and a bunch of youngins and skilled vets around him.

TheGreatYacht
09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
2003 was the most FUN IMO! We went through LA and our Rivals Dallas that year, dethroned the 3 time champ and D Rob went out on Top! That year was just crazy, Tim at his best and a bunch of youngins and skilled vets around him.I have to agree. Eliminating the Lakers was such a wonderful feeling since they were our nemesis for three straight years.

SanAntonioSpurs23
09-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Gotta say 07. I'd never been as confident as I was entering those playoffs that we would win it all. I remember when Cleveland won the East I started celebrating early and told everyone I saw that we would sweep them.

We played DEFENCE in 07, and we had CLUTCH shooters around the Big 3. Micheal Finley instead of Danny Green. Robert Horry instead of Gary Neal. Bruce Bowen instead of Kawhi Leonard.

I was confident against Cleveland, but that Phoenix series could have gone either way. That was the true finals.

Tony Porker
09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
2013. While that heart breaking defeat in the finals still hurts that team overachieved beyond what anyone thought was possible. Here's a hopeful fan wishing they make it happen this year finally.

GO SPURS GO

baseline bum
09-30-2013, 05:43 PM

baseline bum
09-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Bitching about Leonard in the Finals? Did you even watch Game 7? When Leonard kept hitting big shots to keep the Spurs in it every time Miami was about to blow the game open. He missed a free throw, but even an 80% FT shooter is going to miss 1 of 2 every 3rd time or so. Ungrateful fucking Spurs fans.

TXstbobcat
09-30-2013, 06:43 PM
1999. The 1st title was the greatest feeling for me as a fan.

TheyCallMePro
10-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Bitching about Leonard in the Finals? Did you even watch Game 7? When Leonard kept hitting big shots to keep the Spurs in it every time Miami was about to blow the game open. He missed a free throw, but even an 80% FT shooter is going to miss 1 of 2 every 3rd time or so. Ungrateful fucking Spurs fans.

I can never forgive Leonard for being unable to secure a crucial rebound late in game 6, missing that Finals-clenching free-throw late in game 6, and taking an extremely ill-advised 3 in game 7 when we were down 2 with almost a full shot clock. Also, he allowed Lebron to take every outside shot he wanted, and it was Leonard who was guarding Lebron when he hit the shot in game 7 that put the Heat up 4 late and sealed it.

The reality is, Leonard deserves a lot of the blame. Ginobili had terrible turnovers, but Leonard's mistakes cost us more in the end.

spurs10
10-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Favorite team and favorite championship are different, but loved Tim/ Big Shot Bob/ Bruce/ Obewon Ginobili/ and TP. Loved DRob and Sean too.

baseline bum
10-01-2013, 06:38 AM
I can never forgive Leonard for being unable to secure a crucial rebound late in game 6, missing that Finals-clenching free-throw late in game 6, and taking an extremely ill-advised 3 in game 7 when we were down 2 with almost a full shot clock. Also, he allowed Lebron to take every outside shot he wanted, and it was Leonard who was guarding Lebron when he hit the shot in game 7 that put the Heat up 4 late and sealed it.

The reality is, Leonard deserves a lot of the blame. Ginobili had terrible turnovers, but Leonard's mistakes cost us more in the end.

You blame Leonard for executing the gameplan? The plan that got them the 3-2 lead in the first place? As if he's going to be able to stop LeBron on the drive if he's closing out on his jumpshot, which had been suspect for a lot of the series? Kawhi got beat by the guy who is at worst the second greatest player since Jordan and who will likely retire the #2 player in the history of the NBA. Leonard was the only thing keeping the Spurs in game 7 and to claim he was the problem is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on spurstalk. LOL claiming Leonard's mistakes were worse than Ginobili's too. You forgot that Manu missed a title clinching free throw too? Or that he turned the ball over twice in the last minute to minute and a half of the game when the Spurs could have taken the lead?

ambchang
10-01-2013, 12:30 PM
03 - Admiral's final year, title in a supposedly rebuild year, Duncan cementing his status as the greatest PF of all time, Jackson's coming out party, Manu showing glimpses of greatness, Parker starting his road to greatness, that Game 6 vs. the Mavs, that Game 6 vs. the Lakers, Duncan's near quad-double, Robinson's 13/17 game.

99 - First championship.

90- Robinson's rookie year, starting more than two decades of success (other than 96-97)

13 - Overachieved and will likely be forgotten and underrated for years to come.

05 - Manu's epic performance

07 - It's a championship team

spurraider21
10-03-2013, 01:57 AM
03. dethroning the 3peat lakers. tim outplaying shaq one on one in that series. kobe crying. duncan with one of the most dominant seasons in memory. reg season mvp, finals mvp, etc. near quadruple double to clinch the finals. Robinson retiring... a champ. Manu's rookie year. Kerr's heroics. Jackson's heroics. validated 99.

07 was the "worst" of the titles because it had the least impact and was least memorable. denver wasn't scary that year. phoenix series wasn't as entertaining as 05, jazz were the jazz, and cleveland series was a joke. plus parker got finals mvp so w/e

i actually think i enjoyed '13 more than '07. thats how spoiled we were at the time :lol

Skull-1
10-03-2013, 02:51 AM

Skull-1
10-03-2013, 02:51 AM
You blame Leonard for executing the gameplan? The plan that got them the 3-2 lead in the first place? As if he's going to be able to stop LeBron on the drive if he's closing out on his jumpshot, which had been suspect for a lot of the series? Kawhi got beat by the guy who is at worst the second greatest player since Jordan and who will likely retire the #2 player in the history of the NBA. Leonard was the only thing keeping the Spurs in game 7 and to claim he was the problem is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on spurstalk. LOL claiming Leonard's mistakes were worse than Ginobili's too. You forgot that Manu missed a title clinching free throw too? Or that he turned the ball over twice in the last minute to minute and a half of the game when the Spurs could have taken the lead?

Skull-1
10-03-2013, 02:52 AM

What a flipping troll. Leonard is the only reason we even had a chance. Without him we lose 4-1.

SpurSwag
10-03-2013, 03:03 AM
13 and it's not even close. It speaks volumes to how much I loved this team that I picked them over 4 teams that won championships. The narratives of this season personally were so great, from telling all of my friends that the spurs definitely had one more run to seeing Tim absolutely dominate. Fantastic season despite the obviously disappointing result

Brazil
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
OP is going with 2007 because a bit before he was still a foetus.

I'd go with 2003

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-03-2013, 04:03 PM
OP is going with 2007 because a bit before he was still a foetus.

I'd go with 2003
Lol Brazil (in general)
Lol Neymar the only thing keeping your country relevant

Brazil
10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Lol Brazil (in general)
Lol Neymar the only thing keeping your country relevant

Lol not knowing the diff between a French flag and a Brazilian one
lol thinking Brazil is not relevant
lol teenager

Kool Bob Love
10-03-2013, 06:03 PM
2013 would have been a PROBLEM. Oh well......:depressed

ElNono
10-03-2013, 06:51 PM
'03 was awesome, IMO. That Lakeshow series was phenomenal.

CitizenDwayne
10-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Followed by 13

barbacoataco
10-03-2013, 07:51 PM
2003 Taking out the Lakers was the best.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Lol not knowing the diff between a French flag and a Brazilian one
lol thinking Brazil is not relevant
lol teenager

lol too stupid to know i'm talking about your username
lol brazil hasn't won a cup in how long?
lol only being relevant due to riots
lol brazil
lol your posts
lol your life

DesignatedT
10-03-2013, 10:36 PM
All of them from 97-201? until TD retires.

xmas1997
10-03-2013, 11:41 PM
All of them from 97-201? until TD retires.

:lol
And after he retires?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-03-2013, 11:57 PM
It's just not gonna be the same w/out the big three..

Might actually shed a tear when Duncan retires, tbh

xmas1997
10-04-2013, 12:01 AM

I thought the same thing when the Iceman and Capt. Late quit the game.
And when Sean and DRob and Bruce quit.
I'll feel the same about TD, TP, and Manu.

lefty
10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Toss up : 2003 and 2005

- 2003 was the most talented, but at the same time we were not supposed to win the title this year; we were supposed to be in rebuilding mode (well, not from scratch), and Robinson was playing his last season; then we caught fire and Robinson retired with another ring

- 2005 is still IMO the best team; not the most talented, but the best; we could play D with the best of them (Pistons), but we could also run and gun with the Phoenix Suns
:lol Nash & Co didn't see that one coming

Oh and Pop wasn't senile yet

Boddah
10-04-2013, 12:40 AM
1999 was awesome, because it started everything, and lots of great moments, but my fave is 2005, big moments throughout the playoffs, horry hit big shots but none greater than in Detroit.

Skull-1
10-04-2013, 12:56 AM

What Big Three? You mean Timmeh, TP, and Leonard?

Sean Cagney
10-04-2013, 01:22 AM

SHIT I WILL NO MIGHT!!!!

gee
10-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Things will never be the same again.... it will be interesting to see how many fans have stuck around 5-6 years down the track

DieMrBond
10-04-2013, 05:54 AM
'03 was definitely my favourite because for the first time I was really able to follow the games and results because of advances in the net/forums. I could only follow the '99 championship from newspaper clippings but if I could have watched those games it definitely would have been my favourite.

DrSteffo
10-04-2013, 08:57 AM
1999 for me. David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Tim Duncan and first championship.

ThaBigFundamental21
10-04-2013, 09:41 AM
It's so hard to choose. As Spurs fans we have been so lucky to have Tim Duncan for all these years. But 2005 and 2013 were amazing for me. I can't wait for Timmy to add a ring to his thumb.

Brazil
10-04-2013, 09:47 AM
lol too stupid to know i'm talking about your username
lol brazil hasn't won a cup in how long?
lol only being relevant due to riots
lol brazil
lol your posts
lol your life

lol confuding username with my actual country
lol your country
lol scrub
lol Brazil being only relevant due to riots
lol american idiot
lol not recognizing simple flags
lol fat teenager

Brazil
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
:lmao Shumpert for Green and Diaw

ThaBigFundamental21
10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
:lmao Shumpert for Green and Diaw

LMFAO. Right?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
lol confuding username with my actual country
lol your country
lol scrub
lol Brazil being only relevant due to riots
lol american idiot
lol not recognizing simple flags
lol fat teenager

lol at half of your insults being the same as mine
lol brazil
lol france

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-04-2013, 01:14 PM
:lmao

brazil

spurs10
10-04-2013, 01:49 PM

brazil

:lmao Have you seen the women? They have some beauties...

Brazil
10-04-2013, 02:01 PM
lol at half of your insults being the same as mine
lol brazil
lol france

:lol mentally challenged
:lol Shumpert for Diaw + Green

Brazil
10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
in the other news cam newton is underrated :lol

silverblk mystix
10-04-2013, 06:04 PM
All of them were awesome.

When you win a title - there is nothing better.

From 1973 to 1998 - I enjoyed them all too -

1979 was the most painful because they were just plain robbed - and being a young young man - it hurt the most because I still loved the idea of San Antonio actually accomplishing the monumental feat of having a pro team. The fact that the Spurs were a former ABA team that was playing with the big boys and were one step away from embarrassing the superior NBA - which had tried to keep the Spurs out - was very, very gratifying to a young man who liked the underdog position.

When Finley joined the Spurs and Pop did a 180 degree turnaround - it was the beginning of the end - and it completely ruined this lifelong Spurs fan love affair for this team.

When Pop preached defense and only the hardest working players stayed on the floor - he was a great coach - whether the spurs won a title or not.

When Finley arrived and Pop transformed into a coach who played favorites and allowed lazy defense and lazy players to remain on the floor - he has been an average coach at best - and sometimes downright horrible.

This has taken away my love for this team - and it might just be time - FOR ME - to feel for the Spurs - the same way I now feel for major league baseball. I haven't watched a baseball game in about 10 years.

Thanks Pop!

szkorhetz
10-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Mine is the 12 team. The most creative and flashy offense, ever in basketball's history.
That offense seemed to be unstoppable, unblockable. I like 05 too. And even 06.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-04-2013, 09:35 PM
in the other news cam newton is underrated :lol

tl;dr

brazil lmao

Sean Cagney
10-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Mine is the 12 team. The most creative and flashy offense, ever in basketball's history.
That offense seemed to be unstoppable, unblockable. I like 05 too. And even 06.

I know they lost in the end but that roll they got on in 12 later in the season and in the playoffs just seemed surreal and out of nowhere! They were clicking on all cylinders and the O seemed just so flawless and fluid and unstoppable. I agree I have seen nothing like that and most on the radio here and even in bars I went to was saying man that team looks unbeatable! Utahs Jefferson said he has never seen anything like that. I can't believe the floor dropped, the first two rounds and the games 1 and 2 in the WCF made them seem destined they were going to win it all that year. I hate the way it ended but that resurgence gave me hope again in this team (Knew we had a shot this year because of it). That was fun to watch.

They went back to more D this year and more traditional Spurs ball this year so it gave them a more realistic shot at a title. Pop said he hated the long win streak because he could not dig into them and that worked against them later as opposed to this years slide coming into the playoffs and gave them alot to work on and they were more ready for a longer run and a shot at the title. That was still as you said very fun to watch though for that few months.

Skull-1
10-04-2013, 09:58 PM
The '12 team rocked. Destiny until Manu passed behind the back to tony for that three in the blowout. Stern told the refs to screw the Spurs after that...

Skull-1
10-04-2013, 10:04 PM
For me it is close. Probably 2003 watching Dave's last game. Watching him launch for a slam and blast it up into the rafters was awesome, even if he missed. His last game was awesome. And that season saw the beginning of the Manu kamikaze warrior Flying Spaghetti Monster we love.

2003 - Dave
2005 - Manu, tough series, and GREAT defensive team (remember how EVERYONE ran at the shooters with hands in the air? I miss that.)
2012 - Offense, Leonard
2013 - Leonard, Tim
1999 - First one
2007 - Who doesn't love watching James lose?

Kidd K
10-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I've liked them most years tbh. . .they've always been really good.

I'll go with 2012 though. Had we gone on to sweep the Thunder then beat the Heat in 4-5, that would've been heralded as one of the greatest teams of all time. I mean come on, 20 straight games, half of which in the postseason. Right at the point was like the height of Spurfan big dick euphoria. Then they blew it, but yeah. Last year was exciting too. Guess it's easy to pick the recent ones though.

As for old ones, I liked the DRob MVP season team. I know I'm picking the years Spurfans probably hate the most (postseason wise), but it's too easy to just pick years we won titles in.

Idk about favorite, but he spurs team I detested was the 09-10 team, for a number o reasons:

1. He who must not be named
2. 7th seed
3. The centerpiece
4. Blair providing us with false hopes
5. Sweep by the suns

To be fair though, that hate was mitigated by the upset of the 2nd seeded mavs.

You shouldn't have hated them. Most of their failings were due to dealing with injuries throughout the season. That's precisely why I picked them to "shock people" for a top seed prior to 2011 starting. They didn't only win 50 because they sucked, it was because every other player on the team either missed noticable time or had to play through injury. Even in the year prior, they started slipping down because of the same reason (health)

With a healthy 2011 coming up (our foreign guys not playing overseas and instead resting up for once), it was clear they'd be better by default since they got to start with full health. Now, Duncan had some health problems he had to play through, but almost the whole rest of the team didn't.

2010 team wasn't that bad, they were just very unhealthy. Possibly the least healthy Spurteam that didn't feature major guys going down for the season with critical injuries since the nightmare tank season.

spursnatic
10-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Mine was 06 Nick Van Exel, Michael Finley and Oberto came in...So much talent that year and we still came up short

HI-FI
10-05-2013, 01:00 AM
The Current Team....tbh, i think my appreciation for the guys and the Spurs has grown moreso than the early 00s, just because you see them older and the longevity and consistency is something you always hope to see with a professional team but so many are run by idiots. Also, the mix of young and old is another thing that appeals to me. Duncan is supposedly on the final few years but you can't really tell, Ginobili is definitely near the end and Parker is really in his prime. All the young guns like Kawhi, CoJo and Green just add a new dimension. So I appreciate the balance and the longevity.

Second would be the 2003 team, seeing the Admiral go out like that was amazing, not to mention taking a huge shit in the plans of the NBA and Lakers to be the next Bulls:lol.

Sean Cagney
10-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Mine was 06 Nick Van Exel, Michael Finley and Oberto came in...So much talent that year and we still came up short
Intersting some mention non title teams in here as well, easy to mention a title team (Mine the 03 team easily personally) but a losing team that fell short is cool! I respect that. 012 and 013 and 06 teams were special too, win or lose in the end they were great teams as well and very fun to watch.

barakz21
10-05-2013, 02:40 AM
I've liked them most years tbh. . .they've always been really good.

I'll go with 2012 though. Had we gone on to sweep the Thunder then beat the Heat in 4-5, that would've been heralded as one of the greatest teams of all time. I mean come on, 20 straight games, half of which in the postseason. Right at the point was like the height of Spurfan big dick euphoria. Then they blew it, but yeah. Last year was exciting too. Guess it's easy to pick the recent ones though.

As for old ones, I liked the DRob MVP season team. I know I'm picking the years Spurfans probably hate the most (postseason wise), but it's too easy to just pick years we won titles in.

You shouldn't have hated them. Most of their failings were due to dealing with injuries throughout the season. That's precisely why I picked them to "shock people" for a top seed prior to 2011 starting. They didn't only win 50 because they sucked, it was because every other player on the team either missed noticable time or had to play through injury. Even in the year prior, they started slipping down because of the same reason (health)

With a healthy 2011 coming up (our foreign guys not playing overseas and instead resting up for once), it was clear they'd be better by default since they got to start with full health. Now, Duncan had some health problems he had to play through, but almost the whole rest of the team didn't.

2010 team wasn't that bad, they were just very unhealthy. Possibly the least healthy Spurteam that didn't feature major guys going down for the season with critical injuries since the nightmare tank season.

Sorry, I didn't exactly "hate" that team. I just had to use the word "hate", since win or lose, I've always loved the spurs, but of all the spurs teams I've seen(became a fan in 01), that was easily the worst team. From my perspective, you know that team sort of "sucks" if it's giving the centerpiece a ton of minutes, despite te other guys being healthy. And to be fair, of all the spurs teams since 99, that was easily the worst spurs team. Aside from the centerpiece getting all those minutes, you have RMJ who was a key contributor the previous year losing confidence in himself, and then Findog asking to be traded. It's not a good sign when guys you peg as key contributors go through those.

anyway, I'm not arguing with you. I just wanted to explain why I "hated" that particular team. :toast

rascal
10-05-2013, 10:29 AM

The old school spurs were more exciting than any teams that came after.

elemento
10-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Sophomore Duncan taking a dump on every BIG in the NBA and D-Rob was still a beast. Best front-court of all-time.

mudyez
10-05-2013, 10:49 AM
1. regarding the Championship impact: '99...obviously
2. regarding the play off ride: '03...for all the reasons mentioned
3. regarding the roster: '05...not having The Admiral anymore hurts but I loved the Horry/Bowen combo so much and in '03 Parker and Manu where far from peaking.
4. regarding non championship teams: '13...probably even over '07 because the roster was nice and I'm so proud of the team.

mudyez
10-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Sophomore Duncan taking a dump on every BIG in the NBA and D-Rob was still a beast. Best front-court of all-time.

Have to agree but the backcourt probably wasn't even playoff worthy :)

xmas1997
10-05-2013, 12:14 PM

1. regarding the Championship impact: '99...obviously
2. regarding the play off ride: '03...for all the reasons mentioned
3. regarding the roster: '05...not having The Admiral anymore hurts but I loved the Horry/Bowen combo so much and in '03 Parker and Manu where far from peaking.
4. regarding non championship teams: '13...probably even over '07 because the roster was nice and I'm so proud of the team.

Have to agree but the backcourt probably wasn't even playoff worthy :)

I agree, and Sean was beasting as well. Isn't it in '99 when he made his Memorial Day miracle on the way to the finals?

Kidd K
10-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I didn't exactly "hate" that team. I just had to use the word "hate", since win or lose, I've always loved the spurs, but of all the spurs teams I've seen(became a fan in 01), that was easily the worst team. From my perspective, you know that team sort of "sucks" if it's giving the centerpiece a ton of minutes, despite te other guys being healthy. And to be fair, of all the spurs teams since 99, that was easily the worst spurs team. Aside from the centerpiece getting all those minutes, you have RMJ who was a key contributor the previous year losing confidence in himself, and then Findog asking to be traded. It's not a good sign when guys you peg as key contributors go through those.

anyway, I'm not arguing with you. I just wanted to explain why I "hated" that particular team. :toast

I get why it's your least favorite since '99, they lost the most games and had a poor run overall. No need to apologize man. I'm just sayin they were hurt all year. I thought that were really underrated, especially in the offseason when MANY Spurfans were jumpiing ship and clammoring to blow the team up. All they needed was good health and they won 60.

rascal
10-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Any team with Bowen on it was boring as hell.

barakz21
10-06-2013, 10:36 AM
I get why it's your least favorite since '99, they lost the most games and had a poor run overall. No need to apologize man. I'm just sayin they were hurt all year. I thought that were really underrated, especially in the offseason when MANY Spurfans were jumpiing ship and clammoring to blow the team up. All they needed was good health and they won 60.

I just wanted to make things clear, since some poster here think that you're attacking them when you respond to their posts and immediately go on the offensive. I'm here to discuss Spurs with fellow Sours fans, not be trading barbs with them. Anyway, nowow that you mention it, I guess if the pieces they had had performed up to par, then maybe they'd have done better. I'm looking at a 3rd or 4th seed.

Sean Cagney
10-06-2013, 11:29 AM

I guess most of our title teams that were defensive juggernauts and perfect in execution in the playoffs were just boring then. How are you even a fan saying this? Those teams were playoff built and they won most of their titles with him on the squad, even the 06 squad had him and they were pretty damn exciting going through that classic Dallas series (05 Detroit series as well). That's a playoff team built for war! :hat

barakz21
10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I guess most of our title teams that were defensive juggernauts and perfect in execution in the playoffs were just boring then. How are you even a fan saying this? Those teams were playoff built and they won most of their titles with him on the squad, even the 06 squad had him and they were pretty damn exciting going through that classic Dallas series (05 Detroit series as well). That's a playoff team built for war! :hat

:toast

007nites
10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
1999 - Most dominant front court
2003 - Unstoppable Timmy
2005 - Prime big three
2007 - Best all around team

Kidd K
10-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I just wanted to make things clear, since some poster here think that you're attacking them when you respond to their posts and immediately go on the offensive. I'm here to discuss Spurs with fellow Sours fans, not be trading barbs with them. Anyway, nowow that you mention it, I guess if the pieces they had had performed up to par, then maybe they'd have done better. I'm looking at a 3rd or 4th seed.

Yeah I feel you, same here man. I'm only here to talk basketball, not bullshit.

It was mostly health that year though (and kind of the year before that too) there's no other reason I would've been so sure they'd be good in 2011. I was getting trolled on other forums when I was claiming they'd be good. Honestly, it made no sense to me that other people couldn't see it. But that was before I realized how many basketball fans barely watch basketball and that their opinions are usually not based on reality, but rather what they hear on ESPN and TNT. :lol

barakz21
10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Yeah I feel you, same here man. I'm only here to talk basketball, not bullshit.

It was mostly health that year though (and kind of the year before that too) there's no other reason I would've been so sure they'd be good in 2011. I was getting trolled on other forums when I was claiming they'd be good. Honestly, it made no sense to me that other people couldn't see it. But that was before I realized how many basketball fans barely watch basketball and that their opinions are usually not based on reality, but rather what they hear on ESPN and TNT. :lol

i know how you feel man. :lol

Skull-1
10-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Defense is the best part of basketball.

timtonymanu
10-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Favorite title team was 2005.

Agree with HI-FI about the current Spurs team. I like them too. Just seeing Duncan play the way he is at his age is special to watch. Plus the number of young players the Spurs have. Even though we came up short in the finals, it's been an exciting time for this team.

rascal
10-06-2013, 08:29 PM

To me the Spurs were run and gun and high scoring games with Doug Moe. those teams put the Spurs on the map to even get into the NBA. Pop ruined the Spurs into a boring team with the type of players he got. Any team with Robinson and Duncan and then Duncan as the center piece would have brought titles to San Antonio. Don't think there was only one way to skin the cat to get the titles they did. The Spurs could have built high scoring run and gun teams with Duncan and still won playing that way just like the Lakers in the 1980s did with Showtime.

pjjrfan
10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
99 our 1st championship team

Sean Cagney
10-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Defense is the best part of basketball.

I agree with you!
To me the Spurs were run and gun and high scoring games with Doug Moe. those teams put the Spurs on the map to even get into the NBA. Pop ruined the Spurs into a boring team with the type of players he got. Any team with Robinson and Duncan and then Duncan as the center piece would have brought titles to San Antonio. Don't think there was only one way to skin the cat to get the titles they did. The Spurs could have built high scoring run and gun teams with Duncan and still won playing that way just like the Lakers in the 1980s did with Showtime.

Bowen could switch on to the other teams best guy and slow him down alot and change a game as seen when he switched over to Nash a few times or Billups on the finals, without him we don't have atleast one of those titles. I disagree put anyone around Tim, they have to be skilled in alot of ways and he was on D and the corner three. I disagree with the high scoring team around Tim, we saw the Suns do that alot and Mavs and they netted? The D was the Spurs calling, when they were having a horrible O game their D kept them right there for the win in the end. The D was the key to many of their titles. Those teams you mention never won a title in the 70's etc., exciting or not it did not win a title! Tim is also a great defender himself and the fact that he was surrounded by other good defenders and guys who had that IT and were clutch when it counted was key. The Spurs tried that flashy O and run crap with minimal D in 011 and were outted early! The next year or so they keyed more on D (This year especially) and they were back in the finals! Coincidence? Nope.

Pop has lost some of what he had nowadays but saying he ruined the Spurs by making them boring is just ridiculous, come on now they got 4 titles and they have 0 BEFORE that. D ROB was on the Spurs for years and never got a title until Pop and Tim came along, not saying it's all his fault but that system which was D first seemed to be the key with those big guys down there, wings that could defend etc. were a staple.

rascal
10-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I agree with you!

Bowen could switch on to the other teams best guy and slow him down alot and change a game as seen when he switched over to Nash a few times or Billups on the finals, without him we don't have atleast one of those titles. I disagree put anyone around Tim, they have to be skilled in alot of ways and he was on D and the corner three. I disagree with the high scoring team around Tim, we saw the Suns do that alot and Mavs and they netted? The D was the Spurs calling, when they were having a horrible O game their D kept them right there for the win in the end. The D was the key to many of their titles. Those teams you mention never won a title in the 70's etc., exciting or not it did not win a title! Tim is also a great defender himself and the fact that he was surrounded by other good defenders and guys who had that IT and were clutch when it counted was key. The Spurs tried that flashy O and run crap with minimal D in 011 and were outted early! The next year or so they keyed more on D (This year especially) and they were back in the finals! Coincidence? Nope.

Pop has lost some of what he had nowadays but saying he ruined the Spurs by making them boring is just ridiculous, come on now they got 4 titles and they have 0 BEFORE that. D ROB was on the Spurs for years and never got a title until Pop and Tim came along, not saying it's all his fault but that system which was D first seemed to be the key with those big guys down there, wings that could defend etc. were a staple.

The Spurs have never been built with flashy athletic players under Pop so no they did not have flashy O and run crap in 2011.

will_spurs
10-07-2013, 11:44 AM
2003 by far because of the stories: beating the Lakers, D-Rob retiring with a ring, big 3 assembled...

therealtruth
10-07-2013, 07:25 PM
The return of the defense is what I enjoyed most about the playoff run. There was one possession in the Grizzlies series where we just stiffed them defensively several times in a row.

Skull-1
10-07-2013, 09:00 PM
I agree with you!

Spurs have been trying to replace Bowen since he left, and it showed as to why. We sucked without D. Leonard has helped change that, FINALLY.

Sean Cagney
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Spurs have been trying to replace Bowen since he left, and it showed as to why. We sucked without D. Leonard has helped change that, FINALLY.
Thats true, tried BOGANS and RJ etc. after him and failed miserably.

xmas1997
10-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Kawhi is not a lock down defender like Bruce was, not even close. Kawhi is good although IMHO Green is a better defender.

SpurCharger
10-08-2013, 05:08 PM
1 - 2003
2 - 2005
3 - 1999
4 - 2007

Hard to choose between 05 and 99 for me for 2nd best