PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook to miss 4-6 weeks of reg season due to loose stitch

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-01-2013, 01:12 PM
For some reason this reminds me so much of the beginning of the end for Arenas.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9754402/russell-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-miss-first-4-6-weeks-regular-season-due-arthroscopic-knee-surgery

I know this isn't a Spurs topic, but how do you think this impacts the race in the West?

xmas1997
10-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Pretty much knocks them out until he comes back. I still think they will make the playoffs.

Russ
10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Duncan had the same operation in 2000 and played great the next year. Thank goodness the Spurs are a competent organization in all respects.

racm
10-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Duncan had the same operation in 2000 and played great the next year. Thank goodness the Spurs are a competent organization in all respects.

that knee grew worse as he aged though (it's the one with the brace). Timmy's game isn't reliant on his athleticism, though.

OKC looks turrible. I know Brooks will make the right move of starting Jackson in Westbrook's place, but if it means 20+ minutes of Derek Fisher then :lolKC

Man In Black
10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
The resident Spurs Haters are going to say this actually makes OKC better because it makes them UNPREDICTABLE. Book it.

Man In Black
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Question, why wasn't he evaluated 4-6 weeks ago to check on said loose stitch? When did he go to get surgery?

Did he go Andrew Bynum and decide to go World Traveler BEFORE the surgery?

RD2191
10-01-2013, 01:47 PM
in before thunderup rant

racm
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Question, why wasn't he evaluated 4-6 weeks ago to check on said loose stitch? When did he go to get surgery?

probably because the surgeons were only paid 80% of their usual fee.

SpurPadre
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Loose stitch? Next thing you know, we'll hear D. Rose will miss 4-6 weeks of reg season due to being a bitch.

Russ
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM

The stitches should have fully healed about four months ago.

This really doesn't make much sense.

td4mvp2k
10-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Lol dem sh*ty okc drs.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Circumstances change with injury. Most notably swelling.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Circumstances change with injury. Most notably swelling.

According to Mark Stein, that's what Westbrook was experiencing. They were hoping it would be minor. Turned out to be not so minor.

Budkin
10-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Sucks for them, great for us. Let's get a big cushion early on.

racm
10-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Sucks for them, great for us. Let's get a big cushion early on.

yeah, I think only the Clippers have the better chance of coming hot out the gate aside from the Spurs.

xmas1997
10-01-2013, 02:35 PM
yeah, I think only the Clippers have the better chance of coming hot out the gate aside from the Spurs.

Clippers, and dark horse candidates Houston and New Orleans.

Russ
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Presti commended Westbrook for his hard work in rehabbing from the original surgery but acknowledged that an additional operation provided the 24-year-old with "the best chance" to return at 100 percent.

The best "chance" to return at 100 percent? This is simple bleeping meniscus injury, not an ACL. Something is fishy here.

Man In Black
10-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Meniscus injuries aren't problematic in the sense that, in many times, the surgeon can remove the torn part of the meniscus and the athlete can return in a relatively quick fashion. The problem is, once the surgeon removes that torn part, that athlete has a good chance of developing Arthritis because of bone-on-bone damage(less cartilage means more bone contact) in the knee later on in life.

Knees have a terrible blood supply, most joints do. Surgeons nowadays, want to not remove but REPAIR, provided the tear is one that can be stitched. Not all tears are repairable. When they do the repair, it's because they feel that the tear can be stitched up and has a good connection to some blood supply. The issue then is one of time. If you opt for repair, that will take 4 to 6 weeks easy.

Sounds like that dude with bad fashion sense, took the REPAIR route. Good for him long term(provided he has a competent surgeon) but short term, Brooks and Presti have to find OKC a competent Point Guard.

racm
10-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Meniscus injuries aren't problematic in the sense that, in many times, the surgeon can remove the torn part of the meniscus and the athlete can return in a relatively quick fashion. The problem is, once the surgeon removes that torn part, that athlete has a good chance of developing Arthritis in the knee later on in life.

Knees have a terrible blood supply, most joints do. Surgeons nowadays, want to not remove but REPAIR. When they do the repair, it's because they feel that the tear can be stitched up and has a good connection to some blood supply. The issue then is one of time. If you opt for repair, that will take 4 to 6 weeks easy.

Sounds like that dude with bad fashion sense, took the REPAIR route. Good for him long term(provided he has a competent surgeon) but short term, Brooks and Presti have to find OKC a competent Point Guard.

Like Brandon Roy?

Also, I do think Reggie Jackson looks good. The problem is when HE needs a breather. OKC's alternative is... Derek Fisher :lol

Captivus
10-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Like Brandon Roy?

Also, I do think Reggie Jackson looks good. The problem is when HE needs a breather. OKC's alternative is... Derek Fisher :lol

Agree, Reggie Jackson can be the point guard with no problems.
During the 2013 POs he almost averaged 14 pts - 4 ass - 5 reb. Good at the line also. His 3Pt shooting needs a little work, but not a bad backup at all.
The problem is the 3rd PG that comes in when he is resting.

Kidd K
10-01-2013, 06:52 PM
The stitches should have fully healed about four months ago.

This really doesn't make much sense.

That's because it's bullshit and his knee was in worse shape than they let on. They want fans to buy them season tickets and be excited for the season, not be ready to cash in their chips on the team who traded away their hopes at a title last year.

barakz21
10-01-2013, 07:11 PM
OKC is screwed if Westbrook's athleticism gets affected by this, since they're reliant on hero ball. It's not like Scott Brooks runs lots of plays that puts his players in the best position to score.

xmas1997
10-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Another year of OKC out in the first round.

Bruno
10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
If Westbrook miss more time than that, OKC might even not make the playoffs this year. After Durant, they don't really have that much offensive weapons with Kevin Martin also gone.

ThaBigFundamental21
10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
A lot of wishful thinking by you guys. To be the best, you have to beat the best, not wish that a player has a debilitating injury. I don't disagree that something seems a little off seeing how in the NFL players come back faster than Westbrook after MCL injuries. But to even imply the Thunder won't be in the playoffs is comical, Westbrook or not.

racm
10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
A lot of wishful thinking by you guys. To be the best, you have to beat the best, not wish that a player has a debilitating injury. I don't disagree that something seems a little off seeing how in the NFL players come back faster than Westbrook after MCL injuries. But to even imply the Thunder won't be in the playoffs is comical, Westbrook or not.

Wanting a fair playground led to 6.

RD2191
10-01-2013, 07:42 PM
fuk that, i hope lbj goes down too. i don't think lbj feels bad that rose went down and pretty much guaranteed the heat a clear path to the finals the past 2 seasons.

TD 21
10-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Let's not get crazy: No team with prime Durant and near elite defense is missing the playoffs. And given that Parker is unlikely to consistently play at the level he has the past two seasons, plus the Spurs constant managing of minutes/injuries, they probably aren't running away and hiding in that time frame.

Obviously, it helps the Spurs chances of finishing with the one seed or at least a higher seed than the Thunder, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Thunder make a deadline move (Dragic or Gortat, come to mind as prime candidates) that changes the complexion of their team. Whether Westbrook is 100% or not, they can't honestly like their chances against the Spurs or they think have a legitimate shot at beating the Heat.

anakha
10-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Let's not get crazy: No team with a prime Durant and near elite defense is missing the playoffs.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you - just wanted to point out that Westbrook's crazy athleticism played a big role in the effectiveness of OKC's defense. I don't think it's a lock that their D is going to be at the same level if he's not 100%.

TD 21
10-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm not completely disagreeing with you - just wanted to point out that Westbrook's crazy athleticism played a big role in the effectiveness of OKC's defense. I don't think it's a lock that their D is going to be at the same level if he's not 100%.

Maybe not, but if it remains around 10th, then along with Durant's greatness, they should be fine as far as making the playoffs go, even if he had to miss a few more weeks.

racm
10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Plus, OKC's defense is better in the perimeter (Sefolosha, Jackson, Westbrook, and even Durant) than inside (P:lolrkins sucks at positional defense, Abaka bites on pump fakes, and their best team defender is Nick Collison).

exstatic
10-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Sucks for OKC. Spurs need to make hay while the sun is shining. I was actually thinking there was no way we would get the #1 seed from OKC, but if we come out fast, and Kawhi beasts, we might just do it now.

xmas1997
10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I never said they would miss the playoffs, rather that they would be out in the first round.
In fact, I want them in the playoffs, the Lakers, and the Mavs too.
I don't want any of those teams even sniffing the lottery!

ThaBigFundamental21
10-01-2013, 08:58 PM
fuk that, i hope lbj goes down too. i don't think lbj feels bad that rose went down and pretty much guaranteed the heat a clear path to the finals the past 2 seasons.

I know what you mean. I'm just saying whoever is in your path, you have to take down. If Westbrook is healthy, so be it. But I want the Spurs to smack around a healthy team, because you know everyone will start bitching about how the Spurs couldn't win a title when all opposition is healthy. ESPN already takes passive aggressive jabs at the Spurs pertaining to Westbrook getting hurt. Yet I don't hear anyone giving the Spurs any sympathy for Parker's hammy in the Finals. Or Manu's perennial injuries...yet all I hear is how if the Bulls/Rose were healthy.....

ThaBigFundamental21
10-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Let's not get crazy: No team with prime Durant and near elite defense is missing the playoffs. And given that Parker is unlikely to consistently play at the level he has the past two seasons, plus the Spurs constant managing of minutes/injuries, they probably aren't running away and hiding in that time frame.

Obviously, it helps the Spurs chances of finishing with the one seed or at least a higher seed than the Thunder, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Thunder make a deadline move (Dragic or Gortat, come to mind as prime candidates) that changes the complexion of their team. Whether Westbrook is 100% or not, they can't honestly like their chances against the Spurs or they think have a legitimate shot at beating the Heat.

Kinda my thoughts as well.

Kidd K
10-01-2013, 09:21 PM

I think they'll make it to round 2. They aren't going very far without Harden though. I always said he was their real 2nd best player, not Westbrook. Westbrook just had higher stats because they gave him more playing time and much larger offensive responsibility.

Then again is Westbrook misses a month+ to start the season then takes a little time to get to full force. . .OKC might end up without HCA in the first round. Guess it's a possibility they won't make it. I think Stern will inform Silver that OKC is to get to the 2nd round though.

xmas1997
10-01-2013, 09:33 PM
I think they'll make it to round 2. They aren't going very far without Harden though. I always said he was their real 2nd best player, not Westbrook. Westbrook just had higher stats because they gave him more playing time and much larger offensive responsibility.

Then again is Westbrook misses a month+ to start the season then takes a little time to get to full force. . .OKC might end up without HCA in the first round. Guess it's a possibility they won't make it. I think Stern will inform Silver that OKC is to get to the 2nd round though.

:lmao
No doubts about Sterns' agenda coming from me.
I never realized how well you use irony in your veiled sarcasm.
Bravo! Remind me never to get into an insult slinging contest with you, ok?
:lol

caŽlo
10-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Loose stitch in his head probably, tbh.

Axegrinder
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
loose stitch sinks ships

blkroadrunners
10-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Even with a fully healthy Westbrook, the Thunder have regressed this offseason. The Cliippers, Warriors, and maybe Houston if they can get quality production from the PG position are bigger threats.

look_at_g_shred
10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
:lolKC

Axegrinder
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
If Lamb can impress during season as he apparently is in camp, OKC could still make noise

Russ
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Skip Bayless on First Take has some info on Westbrook's injury:

Bayless said he's "not buying" what happened here.

Bayless claims that Westbrook "defied the wishes of the team" in seeking treatment. Bayless claims that the team wanted Westbrook to go to the team surgeon to "clip" the meniscus, but Westbrook opted to go for an independent surgeon in Vail, Colorado. That surgeon believed that the damaged portion of the meniscus need not be snipped off but could be saved by stitching, in this case, one stitch. According to Skip, "for whatever reason, the stitch didn't take."

Skip surmises (speculates) that in the second surgery the surgeon had to snip off the torn portion of the meniscus. This complicates things, because arthritic conditions can start to arise after two surgeries -- it could lead to a long term problem.

So, according to Skip, it was Westbrook, not the team, that likely screwed up the treatment here.

Sean Cagney
10-02-2013, 01:05 PM

They went to the finals just over a year ago and were poised for a run last year until Westbrook got hurt (WCF the year before the finals), another year out in the first round? He is out for 4-6 weeks as well not the year, so he will be back and ready for the playoffs. If it were only that easy to get rid of them!

r0drig0lac
10-02-2013, 03:59 PM

completely disagree without westbrook the okc not gotten homecourt, I think it was pretty clear last season against memphis

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Obviously, it helps the Spurs chances of finishing with the one seed or at least a higher seed than the Thunder, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Thunder make a deadline move (Dragic or Gortat, come to mind as prime candidates) that changes the complexion of their team. Whether Westbrook is 100% or not, they can't honestly like their chances against the Spurs or they think have a legitimate shot at beating the Heat.Couldn't agree more. Let's not forget that we have Pop on the sidelines who always finds ways to fuck up in crunch time. We also have Manu who is motivated to come back for $$$ but has lost his passion for the game.

xmas1997
10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Couldn't agree more. Let's not forget that we have Pop on the sidelines who always finds ways to fuck up in crunch time. We also have Manu who is motivated to come back for $$$ but has lost his passion for the game.

How could anyone ever forget when you and your e-gang are constantly posting that crap?
Can't you stop?
Is there anyone on the planet you have not told this to yet?
You remind me of the little kid who keeps saying over and over, "are we there yet, are we there yet?", and never stops saying it.
Don't you get tired of saying the same old crap?
We get tired of hearing it.
It won't be long before your e-gang starts telling you to just shut the fuck up!

jmanu20
10-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Offensively, KD is going to have to run the show alone. Teams will likely let KD get his and shut everyone else down.
If Westbrook never gets back to the level he was before his injury, Patrick Beverly is going to be Thunder fan enemy #1 for a long, long time.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-03-2013, 10:37 AM
How could anyone ever forget when you and your e-gang are constantly posting that crap?
Can't you stop?
Is there anyone on the planet you have not told this to yet?
You remind me of the little kid who keeps saying over and over, "are we there yet, are we there yet?", and never stops saying it.
Don't you get tired of saying the same old crap?
We get tired of hearing it.
It won't be long before your e-gang starts telling you to just shut the fuck up!

No, can't YOU stop hanging by their balls? Stop replying every time they're fishing FFS.

TD 21
10-05-2013, 05:14 PM
completely disagree without westbrook the okc not gotten homecourt, I think it was pretty clear last season against memphis

They still have a chance, it just depends on how quickly he get's back to playing at least close to the level he's accustomed to. Here's what people keep overlooking: Other good teams (namely, the Spurs) are bound to get significant injuries along the way and none of them have a tireless, second best player in the world to carry them in the meantime.

Robz4000
10-05-2013, 05:33 PM
They still have a chance, it just depends on how quickly he get's back to playing at least close to the level he's accustomed to. Here's what people keep overlooking: Other good teams (namely, the Spurs) are bound to get significant injuries along the way and none of them have a tireless, second best player in the world to carry them in the meantime.

It's also possible Durant could injure himself carrying the team if he has to do so for a significant amount of time. Unlike Lebron he isn't one giant muscle.

Biernutz
10-05-2013, 05:41 PM
With more time off Brook can visit more Oklahoma yard sales to pick up
some classy outfits to wear at games. Let's see if he tries to rush it back....
He is young.

exstatic
10-05-2013, 09:48 PM

No, we have something better: a system. OKC is more badly hurt than other teams when one of their big guys misses time because their whole offense is nothing but hero ball. They only beat HOU out of anger, and flopped badly against MEM.

HI-FI
10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Spurs are one of the few teams I feel could suffer a rash of injuries (i pray not) and still do well in the seedings because of the depth and "corporate knowledge" lol. Whatever issues I have with Pop in the postseason, I trust him a lot in the regular season.

Russo21
10-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Hope Durant goes ape-shit and puts up 45+ppg in a historical scoring spree while Westbrook is out. That'll be sweet viewing.

racm
10-06-2013, 08:13 AM
No, we have something better: a system. OKC is more badly hurt than other teams when one of their big guys misses time because their whole offense is nothing but hero ball. They only beat HOU out of anger, and flopped badly against MEM.

Partly that, and partly because Durant is a top player in the league, though Harden's not that far behind, and the Rockets couldn't defend anyone when Asik sat (and even when he was in the game their defense was simply very good as opposed to lockdown).

Obstructed_View
10-07-2013, 03:15 PM

Ian Mahinmi says, "Ow, my ankle."

Biernutz
10-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Westbrook probably pushed the rehab too hard...He is a type A guy. It will
be interesting to see if he favors it in cutting and push offs.

TD 21
10-08-2013, 06:38 PM

That matters more in the playoffs. In the regular season, a player as great and tireless as Durant is, is capable of damn near singlehandedly keeping a mediocre supporting cast within' striking distance of the one seed, for roughly a quarter of the season.