PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Brown weighs hometown vs. more minutes

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Brown weighs hometown vs. more minutes
Web Posted: 07/23/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072305.1D.BKNspurs.brown.eb2ae8.html

Fresh off a sun-splashed, two-week Miami vacation, much of which was spent shuttling from tee box to basketball court, Devin Brown is happy to report his back feels steadier than his golf swing.

Having put his PGA aspirations on hold for at least another year, the Spurs' free-agent guard plans to resume his NBA career. Hopefully, he said, in the same city where it began.

"I want to stay here as long as I can," said Brown, who starred at West Campus High School and UTSA before joining the Spurs. "San Antonio is a great situation for me.

"On the other side of that, I know I also have to do what's best for my career. I think every pro player wants to play as much as he can. I would love to play 30 minutes a night if I could, so that's something I have to look at also, if another team is interested."

Because Brown is a restricted free agent, the Spurs can retain him by matching any offer he receives from another team or they can decide not to re-sign him and go with someone else. Brown's agent, Derek Powell, said at least 12 teams have expressed varying levels of interest, including Portland, Seattle and Cleveland.

"It's still going kind of slow," Brown said. "Teams are seeing what their options are. It's no rush, so we're taking our time and looking at different situations."

Brown said he might visit with a couple of teams in the next two weeks. His biggest challenge, however, will be to convince the Spurs and any other potential suitors that his back injury won't be a lingering problem.

Brown had developed into one of the Spurs' most productive reserves before a herniated disk forced him onto the injured list in late March. The injury also weakened his right leg. Though Brown was placed on the team's postseason roster, he never completely regained his explosiveness and averaged only 5.4 minutes in 11 playoff games.

"Everybody knows he is (Gregg Popovich)'s kind of player, so the fact he played minimally in the playoffs would tend to frighten teams about how bad he is," said a Western Conference executive whose team briefly considered Brown. "There's no question it's had an effect on his market value. He's a defender, he plays real hard and he gets to the basket. Anything that minimizes his ability to do any of those things is going to make teams leery."

Brown said he was told during his season-ending physical that his back had healed. He also said he has had no problems playing basketball or golf this summer.

"The leg is good," Brown said. "If a team has a lot of interest in me and they still have concerns, I'm willing to take physicals or work out for them."

Spurs officials, so far, appear hesitant on giving Brown much of a raise beyond the $700,000 he made last season until they better determine his health and market value, as well as assess their other free-agent options.

Sacramento guard Maurice Evans, also a restricted free agent, is among those options. After averaging 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 65 games last season for the Kings, Evans has "significant interest" in joining the Spurs, his agent said Friday.

The Spurs know Evans well. He played the 2000-01 season at the University of Texas, works out at the Spurs' practice facility during the summer and recently purchased a home in San Antonio.

"He really likes it here," said Evans' San Antonio-based agent, Roger Montgomery. "Obviously, he's still a restricted free agent, but I think he would be a good fit with the Spurs. We'll just have to see what happens."

Having already agreed to three-year contracts with Robert Horry and Fabricio Oberto, the Spurs have about half of their $5 million midlevel exception remaining, as well as a lesser $1.6 million exception. The Kings, who would have 15 days to match any offer sheet Evans signs, may be less interested in keeping him after agreeing Friday to acquire swingman Bonzi Wells from Memphis.

Like Brown, Evans is 26 years old and measures 6-foot-5, 220 pounds. While Evans is slightly more explosive, one scout considers Brown a little better all-around player.

Whether it's Evans, Brown or someone else, finding an athletic wing player is among the Spurs' top remaining priorities. The team likely won't pick up Linton Johnson III's option except to include him in a trade.

Indiana swingman James Jones also has attracted interest from the Spurs, but, like Evans, is a restricted free agent. New Orleans' forward Casey Jacobsen, an unrestricted free agent, is another option.

The Spurs, who also would like to add a veteran big man and a third point guard, have talked to a handful of teams about trading center Rasho Nesterovic. Atlanta, which is in need of a big man, has so far shown no interest.

The Spurs also are hesitant to commit to anything until the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement is completed because veteran guards such as Michael Finley, Doug Christie and Allan Houston might be waived by their respective teams under the league's new amnesty rule.

For now, Brown will be patient. He's putting on a free basketball clinic for kids today and his youth camp starts in two weeks.

His 13 handicap also could use some work.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 12:07 AM
So it looks like Devin is still up in the air. Evans is under consideration if Devin's out, but he's restricted. James Jones is under consideration but he's restricted. Casey Jacobsen is under consideration. Linton is out. And they are trying to trade Rasho (maybe not to Atlanta).

usckk
07-23-2005, 12:12 AM
That's weird...I thought the Paper said the Hawks HAD interest.

timvp
07-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Though I like Maurice Evans (Ludden seems like he read the forum today ... hmmm), my first pick would be Devin Brown. He's just a better all-around basketball player.

The only thing Evans has on Brown is he's probably a better athlete.

ducks
07-23-2005, 12:15 AM
jj going to hawks might change hawks mind

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2005, 12:20 AM
"Everybody knows he is (Gregg Popovich)'s kind of player, so the fact he played minimally in the playoffs would tend to frighten teams about how bad he is," said a Western Conference executive whose team briefly considered Brown. "There's no question it's had an effect on his market value. He's a defender, he plays real hard and he gets to the basket. Anything that minimizes his ability to do any of those things is going to make teams leery."

Imagine that. The Spurs are playing this perfectly. They are forcing Devin to go out and prove his market value. This certainly gives the impression that they have some doubts about him. Dropping Evans' name can only help their position.

It sucks, but it's a business. If Devin had not gone out with that injury he probably would have had a solid postseason run and would be getting 3 years and $9 mil or so from somebody. As it stands, he's not going to see much this summer and he'll have to go out and prove himself next season.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Though I like Maurice Evans (Ludden seems like he read the forum today ... hmmm), my first pick would be Devin Brown. He's just a better all-around basketball player.

The only thing Evans has on Brown is he's probably a better athlete.

No kidding.

Duff McCartney
07-23-2005, 12:23 AM
The team likely won't pick up Linton Johnson III's option except to include him in a trade.

:pctoss

Linton is the future at the SF position.

ducks
07-23-2005, 12:24 AM
evans is not pop's target
pop would not let the name get out in press yet
12 teams out there someone is going to make a offer

spurs could also maybe work out a sign and trade to the hawks with brown
if no one else is going to sign with hawks

usckk
07-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Nah...The hawks are full at Brown's position.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2005, 12:25 AM
The Spurs also are hesitant to commit to anything until the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement is completed because veteran guards such as Michael Finley, Doug Christie and Allan Houston might be waived by their respective teams under the league's new amnesty rule.

Interesting.

angel_luv
07-23-2005, 12:26 AM
The Spurs, who also would like to add a veteran big man and a third point guard, have talked to a handful of teams about trading center Rasho Nesterovic. Atlanta, which is in need of a big man, has so far shown no interest.

I win today!!!!!!!!!!!!! = )

usckk
07-23-2005, 12:28 AM

I win today!!!!!!!!!!!!! = )

Haha, and tomorrow night Ludden will write: "Breaking News: Spurs trade Rasho and Scola's rights for Harrington and a 2nd round pick"

Just kidding.

angel_luv
07-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Hey all I want everyday is just one more day. = )
So far so good!

milkyway21
07-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Brown's agent, Derek Powell, said at least 12 teams have expressed varying levels of interest, including Portland, Seattle and Cleveland. glad that at least few teams are interested on him. He's a good player.

as well as assess their other free-agent options:
Sacramento guard Maurice Evans, also a restricted free agent, is among those options. After averaging 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 65 games last season for the Kings, Evans has "significant interest" in joining the Spurs, his agent said Friday.

Indiana swingman James Jones also has attracted interest from the Spurs, but, like Evans, is a restricted free agent. New Orleans' forward Casey Jacobsen, an unrestricted free agent, is another option.

meaning? the Spurs officials are not considering Big Dog for now? they're more into adding a SG. How about SF? what are their other options besides Jones?

:rolleyes

James Jones seems like not a that good to me.

Player News
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/playerpage/400555
Jones went 0-for-3 from the floor in nine minutes and was held without a point in Tuesday's contest against the Grizzlies. He started and was also held without a rebound. :cry
(Updated 01/12/2005).

Fantasy Analysis
Jones' value has decreased steadily since the returns of Reggie Miller and Jermaine O'Neal. He's no longer worth Fantasy consideration. (Updated 01/12/2005). :rolleyes

slayermin
07-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Brown's agent, Derek Powell, said at least 12 teams have expressed varying levels of interest, including Portland, Seattle and Cleveland.

Fuck.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I didn't know Evans lived in SA.

I agree, it's Devin first but if not, then either Evans, Sanders, or Jacobson.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-23-2005, 01:45 AM
Fuck.

No one's going to offer anything more than a mill for more than two seasons at max.

I think had he not gotten injured towards the end of the season, he'd of gotten all of the LLE.

slayermin
07-23-2005, 01:55 AM
No one's going to offer anything more than a mill for more than two seasons at max.

I think had he not gotten injured towards the end of the season, he'd of gotten all of the LLE.

I hope your right. Twelve teams sounds like a lot to me. If the Spurs can resign Devin, the bench is set.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-23-2005, 02:04 AM
I hope your right. Twelve teams sounds like a lot to me. If the Spurs can resign Devin, the bench is set.

12 teams? I highly doubt 12. It's an agent working his magic.

But Devin's back is too much of a question mark and he got very little exposure this past season that I don't think he'll get too big (1.5 or more) an offer.

slayermin
07-23-2005, 02:13 AM
12 teams? I highly doubt 12. It's an agent working his magic.

But Devin's back is too much of a question mark and he got very little exposure this past season that I don't think he'll get too big (1.5 or more) an offer.

Me likes. :smokin

FuzzyLumpkins
07-23-2005, 04:32 AM
The spurs are absolutely the best at hiding info.

i remember when aj atacked malik in the shower in 2000 there was a story on the express news website. it was pulled within an hour and mum from the media on it til after the season was over.

regardless the word that was coming out of atlata and argentina was that it was scola they were talking about in atl, not rasho so.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-23-2005, 05:32 AM
This whole CIA Spurs thing is getting really old.

Last summer when the Express News said the Spurs were interested in Brent Barry, what happened? They signed him.

What I find funny is you'll velieve since they named a player that they're interested in, that means they're not interested and have other options. Well then I guess we're keeping Linton and not trying to trade Rasho... huh?

rwb
07-23-2005, 07:41 AM
As much as I like Devin, him stating that his back is healed is, I think, wishful thinking. Once a back is injured it's never healed completely. I'm worried that injury has significantly shortened his NBA career.

HB22inSA
07-23-2005, 08:13 AM
Brown should go to Cleveland...

JUUOT
07-23-2005, 08:35 AM
the big surprise for me in this article talk about

- adding a wing player, but names given are not what us spurs fan were hoping : a long SF
- getting a veteran big and a third PG seems surprisely linked with rasho traded...

i have strange and mix feeling about those news. not worried overall. but not confident either

angel_luv
07-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Okay, it is early in the morning, my judgement is impaired. I;ll bite.

[QUOTE=FuzzyLumpkins]The spurs are absolutely the best at hiding info.

i remember when aj atacked malik in the shower in 2000 there was a story on the express news website. it was pulled within an hour and mum from the media on it til after the season was over. [ Quote]

What??????????????????

jalbre6
07-23-2005, 09:55 AM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/feb05/rock_022805_big.jpg

Commitment? Or new pussy?

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 10:02 AM
the big surprise for me in this article talk about

- adding a wing player, but names given are not what us spurs fan were hoping : a long SF

Well James Jones is a long SF. Maurice Evans isn't long, but he's definitely ideal if Devin isn't coming back.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Having already agreed to three-year contracts with Robert Horry and Fabricio Oberto, the Spurs have about half of their $5 million midlevel exception remaining, as well as a lesser $1.6 million exception. The Kings, who would have 15 days to match any offer sheet Evans signs, may be less interested in keeping him after agreeing Friday to acquire swingman Bonzi Wells from Memphis.

Ludden needs to brush up on his CBA knowledge. First he got the Horry early bird situatoin wrong, and now he's misquoting the amount of time RFAs have. Teams only have 7 days to match under the new CBA.

spurster
07-23-2005, 11:24 AM
It sounds like the Spurs are confident of filling in the remaining roster spots.