PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of being so optimistic in life?

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2013, 04:49 PM
What is the point of being so optimistic in life?

I've noticed that most of the homers (Popsuckers & Manutards) have the tendency to be positive about everything. They're always expecting the best and only look at the bright side of things. I feel like sometimes they set themselves up for disappointment and blind their selves from reality.

My Dad always said to me "always expect the worst." He would say that expecting the unexpected will better prepare me to tackle the negative things in life. Being pessimistic would help me cope with disappointments that life throws at me. My father always said "you need to open your eyes; the world is not a bright and beautiful place. There are a lot of evil things out there."

I've done plenty of research online but all them websites in general say that "being positive is good for you. Being optimistic will help you be more successful in life and work." I got A's and B's in high school and I'm one of the best employees at my job so... yeah, I don't get it.

So why do the majority of people approach life opposite of my Dad's philosophy?

P.S. I am REALLY hated upstairs so I'll probably get a more personal attacks than actual answers.

benefactor
10-02-2013, 04:54 PM
No one gives a fuck. Go back upstairs.

Creepn
10-02-2013, 04:54 PM
lol.

bigzak25
10-02-2013, 04:57 PM
d-diB65scQU

:toast

ChumpDumper
10-02-2013, 04:59 PM
It means not being like the op.

/thread

Clipper Nation
10-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Quality troll, tbh....

HI-FI
10-02-2013, 05:04 PM
TGY, poster of the year imho.

xmas1997
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
:lmao

Seriously though, being optimistic or pessimistic has been shown by science and research to have profound physical effects on the human body. People who were optimistic tended to be healthier, smarter, and live longer. Plus they engendered greater respect from their peers. And they were more successful.
I am referring to realistic optimism vs. unrealistic optimism. But even unrealistic optimism has greater positive side effects than any of the various pessimisms.
I hope this helps. There is far more involved in a discussion of this nature than my simplistic answer, but it would take more time than any of us have to go into.
I won't go into how optimism attracts optimistic outcomes and benefits, whereas pessimism attracts the opposite.

silverblk mystix
10-02-2013, 05:12 PM

I've noticed that most of the homers (Popsuckers & Manutards) have the tendency to be positive about everything. They're always expecting the best and only look at the bright side of things. I feel like sometimes they set themselves up for disappointment and blind their selves from reality.

My Dad always said to me "always expect the worst." He would say that expecting the unexpected will better prepare me to tackle the negative things in life. Being pessimistic would help me cope with disappointments that life throws at me. My father always said "you need to open your eyes; the world is not a bright and beautiful place. There are a lot of evil things out there."

I've done plenty of research online but all them websites in general say that "being positive is good for you. Being optimistic will help you be more successful in life and work." I got A's and B's in high school and I'm one of the best employees at my job so... yeah, I don't get it.

P.S. I am REALLY hated upstairs so I'll probably get a more personal attacks than actual answers.

Because we live in a sick society - and the biggest preoccupation - is to remain sick.

Reality is something that we are programmed and trained to avoid. We are programmed to be unhappy. We are programmed to distract ourselves away from reality.

This is why tv, internet, socializing, books, - everything - is so popular - people need distraction - to accomplish their life-long goal - which is - to remain sick, asleep, programmed - and most of all - detached or cut off from reality.

Insane asylum my friend - but there are too many of us and we run the goddamn place - so it will never change.

Oh, I wouldn't try to have a real conversation - this is also reality - and people are programmed to avoid that - so just insults, bathroom humor, racism, bigotry, etc... are the norm in here...don't take it personal - it is just this place.

The optimism is actually fake optimism - because it isn't really a path to happiness - for example;

Be happy, always look on the bright side- don't dwell on the negative....right?

So what happens when tragedy strikes?

People freak out, grieve, mourn, cry, go crazy, drug themselves...etc....is this crazy? Yes it is insanity.

If you are in touch with reality - you will understand that tragedy is a part of life and shit happens. When you have been in touch with reality all along - tragedy will not shock you or hurt you- you will just understand that it is a normal part of life and continue living in reality.

But so-called psychologists don't want to help you find a cure - they want to place a band-aid on you and keep you sick so you can continue to remain blind to reality.

Avante
10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Far better to laugh than cry. I work at putting myself in the best possible situation to grin/laugh than frown/cry.

lakerhaterade
10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Avante about to chime in. Dis gon be good

ChumpDumper
10-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Avante and sbmiametrically opposed.

Now they will say they agreed all along. Such is the nature of their palbromance.

silverblk mystix
10-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Avante and sbm diametrically opposed.

Lol

You don't seem to understand, obviously, what I posted.

ChumpDumper
10-02-2013, 05:37 PM
You don't seem to understand, obviously, what I posted.I understand idiots like you and op are taking their philosophies on a child's game too far.

silverblk mystix
10-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I understand idiots like you and op are taking their philosophies on a child's game too far.

Idiots dont - understand - anything.

I will return when and if the OP returns - otherwise - idiots like you can play with each other and misunderstand everything.

Rogue
10-02-2013, 06:57 PM
being pessimistic lifelong is the reason why some people never get any pussies throughout their life times. I think every person has two selves, the animal self and the human self. While you're being your human self you have to remain calm and sober, and being pessimistic may help you deal with the cruel reality of life that you have to deal with. Meanwhile, you also need to please yourself every now and then (otherwise you would commit suicide), having a pleasurable break from your miserable life, which can only be acquired from your animal self.

A famous quote of Tom Booker, a character in The Horse Whisperer:

"Sometimes what seems like a surrender isn't a surrender at all... it's all about what's going on in your heart, about seeing clearly the way life is, accepting it and being true to it."

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Seriously though, being optimistic or pessimistic has been shown by science and research to have profound physical effects on the human body. People who were optimistic tended to be healthier, smarter, and live longer. Plus they engendered greater respect from their peers. And they were more successful.
I am referring to realistic optimism vs. unrealistic optimism. But even unrealistic optimism has greater positive side effects than any of the various pessimisms.
I hope this helps. There is far more involved in a discussion of this nature than my simplistic answer, but it would take more time than any of us have to go into.
I won't go into how optimism attracts optimistic outcomes and benefits, whereas pessimism attracts the opposite.Interesting. I expected you be the first one to give an answer considering that you're one of the most optimistic people upstairs. I need to look into that science and research stuff that you mentioned.

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Because we live in a sick society - and the biggest preoccupation - is to remain sick.

Reality is something that we are programmed and trained to avoid. We are programmed to be unhappy. We are programmed to distract ourselves away from reality.

This is why tv, internet, socializing, books, - everything - is so popular - people need distraction - to accomplish their life-long goal - which is - to remain sick, asleep, programmed - and most of all - detached or cut off from reality.

Insane asylum my friend - but there are too many of us and we run the goddamn place - so it will never change.

Oh, I wouldn't try to have a real conversation - this is also reality - and people are programmed to avoid that - so just insults, bathroom humor, racism, bigotry, etc... are the norm in here...don't take it personal - it is just this place.

The optimism is actually fake optimism - because it isn't really a path to happiness - for example;

People freak out, grieve, mourn, cry, go crazy, drug themselves...etc....is this crazy? Yes it is insanity.

If you are in touch with reality - you will understand that tragedy is a part of life and shit happens. When you have been in touch with reality all along - tragedy will not shock you or hurt you- you will just understand that it is a normal part of life and continue living in reality.

But so-called psychologists don't want to help you find a cure - they want to place a band-aid on you and keep you sick so you can continue to remain blind to reality.I've read some very interesting answers so far. I like your explanation. I get the impression that a lot of people are oblivious to the harsh realities around the world. Very similar to what the homers do upstairs which is to cover their eyes and ears from anything negative and just focus on the positives - "Let's zone out everything bad."

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
being pessimistic lifelong is the reason why some people never get any pussies throughout their life times. I think every person has two selves, the animal self and the human self. While you're being your human self you have to remain calm and sober, and being pessimistic may help you deal with the cruel reality of life that you have to deal with. Meanwhile, you also need to please yourself every now and then (otherwise you would commit suicide), having a pleasurable break from your miserable life, which can only be acquired from your animal self.

A famous quote of Tom Booker, a character in The Horse Whisperer:

"Sometimes what seems like a surrender isn't a surrender at all... it's all about what's going on in your heart, about seeing clearly the way life is, accepting it and being true to it."Wow, I think you bring up an excellent point. I do have one major weakness and that is women. Women do not like the way I act and think. They think I'm a jerk. I do go to the gym so the only way I can get laid is to find myself a drunken girl at a bar/club or by posting some nudes of myself online. I can't score legit LOL.

Sadly, I will probably never find true love from a woman unless I get lucky and find one that accepts my approach to life. I am very surprised that SBM was able to find a partner and have kids given that we are somewhat similar... I think.

Clipper Nation
10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Okay, now it's official.... whose troll is this? :lol

Rogue
10-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Okay, now it's official.... whose troll is this? :lol
Yacht ain't my troll tbh. there're just some similarities between us, concerning personality and maybe posting style also, but we ain't the same person I promise you. Yacht posts alot upstairs while I've made no more than 100 posts there for many years since I first became known as a mavs fan.

and there's a sheer difference between our attitudes towards bitches. Yacht still wants bitches and he just finds it hard to get any good ones, while Rogue doesn't give a shit about them at all (unless there's a bitch named Scarlett Johansson available for me to take home, which ain't never gonna come true though). Plus, I never go to gyms

xmas1997
10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Interesting. I expected you be the first one to give an answer considering that you're one of the most optimistic people upstairs. I need to look into that science and research stuff that you mentioned.

TGY I sincerely was not making fun of you. I hope you know that. Yes, google it online. You have to wade through the mumbo jumbo BS stuff about the power of positive thought, some good and some not so good, but it is worth going through it because it could change your life for the better, women being the least favorable change that you'll like, money being another, but the best is your interactions with all sorts of very interesting people.
I sincerely wanted to help because I think that is one of the things we are all here for.
Just like it is more fun to give than to take, it is also more fun to help than to hurt.
Good luck with your adventure.

Oh, before I forget, can you please simmer it down a bit on the Manu and Pop trashing. We know how you feel (geez do we know how you feel!), but it is hard to sympathize with you when you say the same thing so much. Hope you understand. No offense meant.

Joseph Kony
10-02-2013, 08:30 PM

But so-called psychologists don't want to help you find a cure - they want to place a band-aid on you and keep you sick so you can continue to remain blind to reality.

tl;dr

silverblk mystix
10-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Wow, I think you bring up an excellent point. I do have one major weakness and that is women. Women do not like the way I act and think. They think I'm a jerk. I do go to the gym so the only way I can get laid is to find myself a drunken girl at a bar/club or by posting some nudes of myself online. I can't score legit LOL.

Sadly, I will probably never find true love from a woman unless I get lucky and find one that accepts my approach to life. I am very surprised that SBM was able to find a partner and have kids given that we are somewhat similar... I think.

?WUT?

xmas1997
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Interesting. I expected you be the first one to give an answer considering that you're one of the most optimistic people upstairs. I need to look into that science and research stuff that you mentioned.

Did you think I would try to help, or ridicule you?

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Did you think I would try to help, or ridicule you?Nah, I expected you to give the first serious reply. You seem like the type of person that if someone treats you with respect, you will return the favor. In other words, I don't think you're a bad person. We just have completely different opinion upstairs.

RD2191
10-02-2013, 10:03 PM

?WUT?

xmas1997
10-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Were you able to profit from anyone's advice here?
Did anyone's experience help in any way?

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-05-2013, 07:44 PM
What an excellent thread.

mouse
10-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I was going to give you a serious answer until I saw your Sig.

Koolaid_Man
10-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Optimism adds 4 inches to your cock and keeps it rock hard :hat

Rogue
10-05-2013, 08:05 PM
^^ excellent until you showed your yid head up here

Koolaid_Man
10-05-2013, 08:08 PM

ohh stop whining and suck a pussy

Koolaid_Man
10-05-2013, 08:09 PM

if you be Optimistic Rogue you will finally get to 4 inches :lol

Rogue
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM

How did you know I sucked a pussy? I can't believe you would ever bother to read my novels, tbh.

if you be Optimistic Rogue you will finally get to 4 inches :lol

I don't need it that long though, just long enough for me to avoid being splattered by my urine when I'm pissing and I'll be happy with it.

m>s
10-05-2013, 09:02 PM

:lmao he didn't show his head at all imho it was covered by a yamaka

Rogue
10-05-2013, 09:23 PM
m>s mah nigga! have you read the lastest chapters of my novel "Revenge of Reynolds" yet?

mouse
10-05-2013, 09:30 PM

Could that flavor be inside the next Gator Aid flavored drink mix ? they already have pepino flavored gatorade

9exW9nT2BeM

xmas1997
10-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Could that flavor be inside the next Gator Aid flavored drink mix ? they already have pepino flavored gatorade

9exW9nT2BeM
:lol
Thanks, I needed that. I am easily amused.
Now I need that stiff drink.