PDA

View Full Version : Daniels Remains a Fan of Duncan

milkyway21
07-23-2005, 01:57 AM
David Flores: Daniels remains a fan of Duncan
Web Posted: 07/23/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Maybe it was a case of Antonio Daniels being too close to Tim Duncan to fully appreciate his talent when they were Spurs teammates for four seasons.

Antonio Daniels spent four seasons as a teammate of Tim Duncan with the San Antonio Spurs.
More coverage
Devin Brown weighs hometown vs. more minutes

After eight years in the NBA, including the last two with the Seattle SuperSonics, a more mature Daniels knows better now.
"I had no idea how good Tim was until I left," said Daniels, a guard who was traded by the Spurs to Portland in August 2002. "I knew he was good, of course, but I never realized how great he really is until I played against him."
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Daniels, a free agent who came to terms with the Washington Wizards on Tuesday, talked about his career, Duncan and the Spurs on Friday at his basketball camp at the Factory of Champions.

Daniels lives in San Antonio in the offseason and still shares a warm relationship with Duncan. He is probably one of Duncan's biggest fans.

"Tim has been in the league for eight seasons and he already has three championship rings," Daniels said. "There are great players like (Charles) Barkley, (John) Stockton and (Karl) Malone who never even won one. It's amazing."

Daniels averaged 17.8 points and 4.2 assists a game against the Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals this season. San Antonio won the series 4-2 en route to winning the NBA title.

"It was a good series," Daniels said. "The better team won. The Spurs aren't just Tim Duncan anymore. They have very good balance."

Daniels cited the play of Manu Ginobili and Robert Horry as key factors in the Spurs' playoff success.

"Manu is a hell of a player," he said. "He's so unpredictable, but that isn't a bad thing because he makes the right decisions.

"Robert Horry in the playoffs? What can I say that hasn't already been said?"

Daniels also praised Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"Pop may be the best coach in the league," he said. "He will get on Tim Duncan the same way that he gets on the guy on the injured list. You have to respect that."

Daniels has agreed to a five-year, $30 million contract with the Wizards, who finished 45-37 this season and were swept by the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Adept at both guard sports, he joins All-Star Gilbert Arenas in the backcourt and gives the Wizards leadership.

"This is a great situation for me and the family," Daniels said. "The Wizards are a perfect fit."

The Spurs were among the teams Daniels talked to.

"We were talking all the time, but it would have had to have been a sign-and-trade deal," he said. "That's easier said than done. Things just didn't work out."

Life never has been much better for Daniels, an affable fellow who turned 30 in March. He and his wife, Sonia, who is from San Antonio, are expecting their first child, a girl, in mid-August.

Marriage has helped Daniels mature greatly in the past year.

"I'm growing not just as a man, but as a man my wife, mother and entire family can be proud of," he said. "My life has come full circle. I'm very blessed not just financially, but emotionally as well. I have a great group of friends."

Daniels has had basketball camps in San Antonio each of the past five summers, and leaves no doubt that he plans to continue next year.

"I've always loved this," said Daniels, who has a degree in elementary education. "These camps give me a chance to have an impact on kids."

Walter Kramer, in his third year as the director of the camps, said Daniels has a passion for working with children.

"He's here every day," Kramer said. "He's very generous with his time and very sincere when he says that he wants the kids to get something positive out of his camps."

Daniels will have another camp next week before he starts working out with Kramer, a middle school coach who has trained him the past two years.

"Working with Walter has been incredible for me," Daniels said. "He is very observant and knows what he's talking about. His opinion is important to me."

That confidence shows.

spurster
07-23-2005, 11:26 AM
At age 30, AD has finally developed into a decent PG, which is not so much different from other good PGs. The Spurs are so lucky that TP is playing so well at his age.

wildbill2u
07-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Daniels is another former player who has chosen San Antonio to be the home for his family. How difficult it must be for a player to work in one city for months of the year while his family resides in another place.

There is something in our beloved city that keeps people here, even after their career has moved elsewhere. GO SAN ANTONIO!

Taking it to the Hole
07-23-2005, 02:14 PM
I really loved AD when he was here playing for us. I really miss his statue-of-liberty dunks and his great personality around the fans. I am happy that he is enjoying success elsewhere though and I still retain the hope that one day he will finish his career with us. To me, it seems I could never really view him as anything but a Spur.

Mark in Austin
07-23-2005, 03:06 PM
The Spurs were among the teams Daniels talked to.

"We were talking all the time, but it would have had to have been a sign-and-trade deal," he said. "That's easier said than done. Things just didn't work out."

This is a very interesting quote. I wonder if it means they were in agreement on salary but a sign and trade wouldn't work between the two teams, or if it meant the Spurs talked to him, but once they found out his asking price was more than they could offer (therefore making a sign and trade the only way to get him) they moved on.

With a backcourt of Parker, Manu, Barry, Beno already here signing Daniels would have meant Beno gets a demotion to third string PG and Brown probably doesn't return unless it is to be Bowen's primary backup.