PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on purchasing a new laptop in San Antonio

GrandeDavid
07-23-2005, 07:40 AM
If anyone can give me some tips on making the smart decision with regard to purchasing a new laptop in San Antonio, I'd appreciate it. Actually, location probably doesn't matter since I may end up buying it at dell.com or directly from some manufacturer/online retailer. But would any of you suggest looking at a particular store like Circuit City? Any specialty stores that offer good rates, warranties etc.?

In brief, I'm looking to buy a new laptop which will be used primarly for business purposes, i.e. nothing too "heavy", also for net surfing, playing live video feeds, burning DVD's and so on.

Obviously I don't want to break the bank buying something unnecessary, but on the other hand, I know I'll have to spend to get quality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

spurschick
07-23-2005, 08:10 AM
I could give you MAC suggestions, but it sounds like you're wanting PC. My serious suggestion... call this guy - Phil Pennington 210-336-8540. He is a good friend of mine and he owns a computer/internet business. I would definitely order online and he can give you suggestions of the best sites and give you some good info on the best laptop for your needs.

HB22inSA
07-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Spurschick sure does give out alot of phone numbers.

First there was the plumber...

:lol

GrandeDavid
07-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Spurschick, thank you so much for the contact. Also, could you please send me a message with your name so that I may use it as a reference if I call? Thanks again!

spurschick
07-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Spurschick sure does give out alot of phone numbers.

First there was the plumber...

Just trying to hook my spurstalk peeps up... it takes a village. :spin

ChumpDumper
07-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Dell has pretty decent online promotions -- techbargains.com usually has them listed -- and their full-tilt replacement program looks pretty good if you're into that.

As for the other companies, CompUSA has had a pretty nice selection lately -- I'm partial to the new Turion or smaller Pentium M HP/Compaqs out these days in the $1000-1500 range before the various rebates they always seem to be offerring. My girlfriend has a similar Fujitsu and it's a great machine; I recommend that brand if you don't mind paying the premium for quality.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
07-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Not in San Antonio but two friends of mine have purchased machines from Averatec (http://www.averatec.com/) and are quite pleased. Check em out!

HB22inSA
07-23-2005, 04:54 PM
it takes a village
Okay, Hillary...

duncan_21
07-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Are going to watch movies on this laptop, or is that a priority, or do you want something that's light and can run business programs?

I would look at the Dell Inspiron 700m on the dell small business site.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Not in San Antonio but two friends of mine have purchased machines from Averatec (http://www.averatec.com/) and are quite pleased. Check em out!CompUSA actually had one of their tablet PCs we used in setting up a plastic surgeon's office. Older tech but not bad, all things considered. David seems to have the ducats to go upscale, though....

PM5K
07-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Buy a Dell...

PM5K
07-23-2005, 11:26 PM
I have two Dell's. One is a 600M and the other is a 9100. A friend of my brother bought a 9100 after I did and my brother got an XPS which is it's big brother.

All are great laptops. I actually used to own a D600 which is the business version of the 600M, only problem is the graphics memory bandwidth is half that of the 600M so I traded up.

I highly recommend Dell laptops, there technical support may be spotty but I don't need technical support, and with the internet you probably won't either. Their warranty support is superb, they will even send you replacement rubber feet if you email them.

GrandeDavid
07-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks to all of you for your tips and consideration. I really appreciate it.