PDA

View Full Version : 10/6 Open Scrimmage Thoughts

callo1
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Post your thoughts and observations here

PlayNando
10-06-2013, 11:05 PM
NANDO WAS GREAT! THAT BUZZER BEATER WAS SPECIAL!!!

NickiRasgo
10-06-2013, 11:10 PM
NANDO WAS GREAT! THAT BUZZER BEATER WAS SPECIAL!!!

:lol

callo1
10-06-2013, 11:28 PM
This is a short post of what I observed at the scrimmage.

I was most impressed by Cory Magette. It appeared that Magette had a fast first step, and the strength that he has always had. I was surprised by his ability to bring the ball up the court. Magette got to the line half a dozen times. We really need a guy that can draw fouls and get to the stripe. Magette showed that he clearly has more left in the tank, from my point of view. 10-12 minutes per game to spell Kawhi would be great. I can't wait to see more of Magette...I think that playing on a championship team is exactly what this guy needs.

Timmy was Timmy. Other than his mid-range shot being off, he looked great. TD looked like he is far ahead of the curve conditioning wise.

Tony Parker looked good. He made some moves that awed the crowd, but his speed doesn't look to be there yet, which is expected.

Marco Belinelli had some superb passes...very pre-Manu 2013 Finals like. Smooth stroke, high awareness on the court, and the ability to play the backup PG role. I can't wait to see him play some more.

Tiago looked like the same old Tiago...weak around the basket. He tried that hook shot of his far too many times. He was at his best when Manu got him involved in pick and rolls. He did look to have decent conditioning already.

Boris looked leaner than he has been as a Spur up to this point. He knocked down a three or two, but mostly played his normal role of trying to get others involved.

Sam Young looked alright, but was trumped by the performance of Magette.

Jeff Pendergraph aka Jeff Ayres looked pretty good. I am most excited about his ability to hit the open baseline shot.

Danny Green's stroke looked smooth...honestly, he looked like he did during game 5 of the Finals. I was disappointed to see that his ball handling has not improved, but he did play some very good defense on Kawhi when matched up on him.

Kawhi got blocked quite a few times. His timing was clearly off, but he did display some pretty nice ball handling. I hop Pop gives Kawhi more opportunities to run the offense here and there.

Patty Mills looked like he always does...ready to play if the season started tomorrow. His stroked from outside was good, and he played scrappy defense.

Baynes looked like a guy that should be the third or fourth off of the bench playing his position. I hope he was just off his game.

ElNono
10-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Both teams played hard...

Robz4000
10-06-2013, 11:55 PM
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Boomersgold
10-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Manu and Patty's a deadly combination. It worked in the regular season (Spurs score most points per 100 possessions when Patty and Manu are on together, if I remember correctly from the player pair analysis) and it worked in the scrimmage. Don't know why the Spurs don't use it more often.

Ice009
10-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Manu and Patty's a deadly combination. It worked in the regular season (Spurs score most points per 100 possessions when Patty and Manu are on together, if I remember correctly from the player pair analysis) and it worked in the scrimmage. Don't know why the Spurs don't use it more often.

IMO the main reason he doesn't play isn't because he doesn't fit on offense, I think it's more because his defense was shockingly bad at times last season and that is where he needs to make the most improvements to get on the court.

Boomersgold
10-07-2013, 12:35 AM
IMO the main reason he doesn't play isn't because he doesn't fit on offense, I think it's more because his defense was shockingly bad at times last season and that is where he needs to make the most improvements to get on the court.
Quite true. Pop does love his defense. It's the reason he went with Cojo last season as backup pg.

PlayNando
10-07-2013, 01:24 AM
:lol
Laugh, but you know I'm right. :toast

mute
10-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Patty needs the ball in his a lot in order to be effective. But with the amount of weapons we have (Duncan, Kwahi, Green, Parker, Manu, Tiago), it doesn't make sense for him to go isolation like Iverson every single time down. I'd say we just trade him for a serviceable backup or pick. He could easily be a 15-18ppg scorer for a team that would need him.

racm
10-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Manu played well enough that the haters are quiet. That's good.

Ice009
10-07-2013, 03:24 AM
How is Nando playing in comparison to Corey Maggette and Sam Young? That is one of the main focal points for me, of this training camp so far. The other focal points are how Kawhi, Danny, CJ and Tiago are progressing, plus if Jeff Ayres and/or Baynes are good enough to get a spot in the rotation.

btw, people are still saying that Patty should be traded. Benfti (Australian poster) said he heard from a source that both Tim and Tony want him around longer than this season. I know the Spurs can still trade him, but if Tim and Tony are that vocal about it, then they might not because of that. That is also the reason I am looking harder at Nando as a trade possibility rather than Patty.

exstatic
10-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Patty needs the ball in his a lot in order to be effective. But with the amount of weapons we have (Duncan, Kwahi, Green, Parker, Manu, Tiago), it doesn't make sense for him to go isolation like Iverson every single time down. I'd say we just trade him for a serviceable backup or pick. He could easily be a 15-18ppg scorer for a team that would need him.

In his one full and one partial seasons, his FG% was 48.5 and his 3G% was 42.9 for the partial season, and FG% was 46.9 and his 3G% was 40.0% for the full season.

That's pretty fucking EFFECTIVE. You might want to at least have the facts before you post bullshit like the above.

Fireball
10-07-2013, 07:37 AM
In his one full and one partial seasons, his FG% was 48.5 and his 3G% was 42.9 for the partial season, and FG% was 46.9 and his 3G% was 40.0% for the full season.

That's pretty fucking EFFECTIVE. You might want to at least have the facts before you post bullshit like the above.

But you have to distinct his percentages ... was it better when creating himself shooting off the dribble or by spot up shooting?

anakha
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Guess his sources fucked up again.

keywester
10-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Neal's defense was also bad last year, but Pop kept playing him? I'm all for Patty being traded to a team that can use him so I can see him play. I can still root for the Spurs and watch Patty put up his 20ppg for the enemy.

Vash StampedE
10-07-2013, 09:16 AM
This is a short post of what I observed at the scrimmage.

I was most impressed by Cory Magette. It appeared that Magette had a fast first step, and the strength that he has always had. I was surprised by his ability to bring the ball up the court. Magette got to the line half a dozen times. We really need a guy that can draw fouls and get to the stripe. Magette showed that he clearly has more left in the tank, from my point of view. 10-12 minutes per game to spell Kawhi would be great. I can't wait to see more of Magette...I think that playing on a championship team is exactly what this guy needs.

Timmy was Timmy. Other than his mid-range shot being off, he looked great. TD looked like he is far ahead of the curve conditioning wise.

Tony Parker looked good. He made some moves that awed the crowd, but his speed doesn't look to be there yet, which is expected.

Marco Belinelli had some superb passes...very pre-Manu 2013 Finals like. Smooth stroke, high awareness on the court, and the ability to play the backup PG role. I can't wait to see him play some more.

Tiago looked like the same old Tiago...weak around the basket. He tried that hook shot of his far too many times. He was at his best when Manu got him involved in pick and rolls. He did look to have decent conditioning already.

Boris looked leaner than he has been as a Spur up to this point. He knocked down a three or two, but mostly played his normal role of trying to get others involved.

Sam Young looked alright, but was trumped by the performance of Magette.

Jeff Pendergraph aka Jeff Ayres looked pretty good. I am most excited about his ability to hit the open baseline shot.

Danny Green's stroke looked smooth...honestly, he looked like he did during game 5 of the Finals. I was disappointed to see that his ball handling has not improved, but he did play some very good defense on Kawhi when matched up on him.

Kawhi got blocked quite a few times. His timing was clearly off, but he did display some pretty nice ball handling. I hop Pop gives Kawhi more opportunities to run the offense here and there.

Patty Mills looked like he always does...ready to play if the season started tomorrow. His stroked from outside was good, and he played scrappy defense.

Baynes looked like a guy that should be the third or fourth off of the bench playing his position. I hope he was just off his game.
If what you said about Maggette is true and it carries on next season, then we could say that the FO did a good job during the offseason. I really hope this news is true.

Ice009
10-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I love players that can get to the free throw line. I consider that a big thing and a very important aspect on the offensive side of the ball. Getting to the free throw line can be huge for a team to help get you jump started if your offense were to bog down. TD and Manu both used to get to the free throw line a lot, but now we don't really have anyone that does it consistently. It's also something that comes into play on the road, as drawing fouls and getting to the free throw line can make a huge difference to winning games on the road. I've said before that I value defense more than offense, but I also value getting to the free throw line a close second to defense.

If Maggette can play decent defense and is willing to work his ass off on that end, then he is my early pick for the spot. I'm also interested in signing Young too (if he were to also outplay Nando). Of course that means that Nando would have to be traded in that scenario. I wonder what the front office would do if both those guys show more than Nando in preseason?

Captivus
10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
We need FTs, the Spurs are one of the worst team in that category.

timtonymanu
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
How is Nando playing in comparison to Corey Maggette and Sam Young? That is one of the main focal points for me, of this training camp so far. The other focal points are how Kawhi, Danny, CJ and Tiago are progressing, plus if Jeff Ayres and/or Baynes are good enough to get a spot in the rotation.

btw, people are still saying that Patty should be traded. Benfti (Australian poster) said he heard from a source that both Tim and Tony want him around longer than this season. I know the Spurs can still trade him, but if Tim and Tony are that vocal about it, then they might not because of that. That is also the reason I am looking harder at Nando as a trade possibility rather than Patty.

The problem with trading either Nando or Patty is that Parker will have less backups to play for him should he be injured or if Pop is resting him. Kawhi is young enough that he can handle having one backup instead of 2 backup SFs, even though both Maggette and Young are intriguing. Tbh, I get the feeling Pop doesn't sign either of them by the end of the preseason.

Neal's defense was also bad last year, but Pop kept playing him? I'm all for Patty being traded to a team that can use him so I can see him play. I can still root for the Spurs and watch Patty put up his 20ppg for the enemy.

Well, Neal is gone now so it opens up time for Patty. I also hope Pop is going to be conservative with Tony a lot more this season which again opens up time for Patty.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Lol @ Yacht leaving out Manu because he played very well

PingPong
10-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Kawhi is young enough that he can handle having one backup instead of 2 backup SFs, even though both Maggette and Young are intriguing. Tbh, I get the feeling Pop doesn't sign either of them by the end of the preseason.

Kawhi needs a decent backup in order to save his knees from the tendinitis.

SpursDynasty21
10-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Kawhi Leonard is the future of the Spurs. The Spurs need to keep him healthy, and it is probably important to find a solid backup for him.

elmanutres
10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
NANDO WAS GREAT! THAT BUZZER BEATER WAS SPECIAL!!!i got his autograph at the event

ace3g
10-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Still upset they haven't corrected the vid in the link, like I mentioned earlier a large section of the 3rd/4th quarters are missing, based on twitter Maggette got to the line quite a bit in these quarters.

Hoops Czar
10-07-2013, 07:18 PM
The problem with trading either Nando.....

The problem with trading Nando is NOBODY wants him. He's Pop's pet project, one, that will undoubtedly return from whence he came at seasons end.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2013, 07:43 PM

What's bullshit about saying that he needs the ball to be effective? Your percentages don't disprove that statement. Truthfully, he's not useful if he's not shooting, and his shots don't come in the flow of the regular Spurs offense. A Mills that isn't putting up points is a liability. If you think he's going to shoot like that in anything other than garbage time, then you should probably step up and say so.

Texas_Ranger
10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Maggette still likes to make like 5 steps when he catches the ball. He's like near the mid court line when he gets it and then when he starts dribbling he's near the three pointer.

Tbiggums47
10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Ace where is the vid link?
Still upset they haven't corrected the vid in the link, like I mentioned earlier a large section of the 3rd/4th quarters are missing, based on twitter Maggette got to the line quite a bit in these quarters.

ace3g
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Ace where is the vid link?

for me it is split in 2 vids:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/131006_open_scrimmage

PlayNando
10-07-2013, 09:45 PM
i got his autograph at the event
NICE!!! :flag:

tmtcsc
10-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Couple of thoughts from what I saw:

1. Tim Duncan continues to amaze me with his dedication. Dude looks like he's getting younger and appears to be in the best shape of his life. No doubt he has some miles on his knees but he's not giving in to his circumstances. He is the best thing that ever happened to this organization.

2. That neck beard Belinelli is sporting makes me think he lost a bet. Just awful.

Tbiggums47
10-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Thanks

james evans
10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Manu played well enough that the haters are quiet. That's good.
ginobli could score 97 points in the season opener and 73 in the game following and nothing will change the fact that he's cost us 2 championships.

Kool Bob Love
10-08-2013, 11:34 PM
ginobli could score 97 points in the season opener and 73 in the game following and nothing will change the fact that he's cost us 2 championships.

I feel the same about David Robinson and Iceman Gervin. Both good players but Manu 1 up them with his 3 rings.:toast

PlayNando
10-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Stupid. :lol