PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Better roster?

ElNono
10-07-2013, 01:00 AM
2005-2006 Lakers:

Kobe Bryant
Andrew Bynum
Lamar Odom
Stanislav Medvedenko
Sasha Vujacic
Brian Cook
Devean George
Jim Jackson
Devin Green
Kwame Brown
Ronny Turiaf
Aaron McKie
Chris Mihm
Smush Parker
Laron Profit
Von Wafer
Luke Walton

or

2013-2014 Lakers:

Kobe Bryant
Pau Gasol
Steve Nash
Nick Young
Jordan Farmar
Steve Blake
Dan Gadzuric
Elias Harris
Xavier Henry
Jordan Hill
Wesley Johnson
Chris Kaman
Ryan Kelly
Marcus Landry
Jodie Meeks
Robert Sacre
Shawne Williams

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 01:03 AM
2013, prime Kirby was good and his volume scoring won games, but Hill,Pau,Kaman are better than anything 05-07 Lakers had for their frontcourt and Nash + Young + Kirby are a better back court than anything 05-07 Lakers had. And 2013 Lakers somewhat have a bench if Xavier Henry and Farmer pan out, tbh.

ElNono
10-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Pretty even, IMO. While Nash is a big name, he's too hurt to make an impact at this stage. Turiaf always been underrated, and between Sasha and Farmar is kind of a wash.

You also have the Bynum that used to be able to walk, who I always thought was much better than Pau grabbing the rebounds from Kirby's misses and putting them back.

ElNono
10-07-2013, 01:06 AM
2013, prime Kirby was good and his volume scoring won games, but Hill,Pau,Kaman are better than anything 05-07 Lakers had for their frontcourt

Hill and Kaman are scrubs. Odom and Bynum are much better, especially the Laker's version of Odom. Pau is the better overall frontcourt player, though. I agree with that.

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 01:06 AM
My bad, I meant Young comes off the bench, and Wesley J:lolhns:loln will probably be the starting SF.

Coaching staff is the only advantage 05-07 Lakers have, tbh.

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Hill and Kaman are scrubs. Odom and Bynum are much better, especially the Laker's version of Odom. Pau is the better overall frontcourt player, though. I agree with that.

Odom was good, but overall the 2013 front court is better, Hill was actually very productive under Mike Brown, MDA is making him shoot 20 ft jumpers, which will limit his production as he's further away from the basket. Hill's strength is his ability to rebound and score on putbacks inside.

Lakers are missing a player like Odom, they need a 4 that can handle the ball like an SF and who can shoot the open J, Hill and Wes suck ass.

Trainwreck2100
10-07-2013, 01:08 AM
My bad, I meant Young comes off the bench, and Wesley J:lolhns:loln will probably be the starting SF.

Coaching staff is the only advantage 05-07 Lakers have, tbh.

Is D'antoni still the coach? Then yeah there won't be anyone coming off the bench

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 01:09 AM
And :lol at Lakers not even making an offer to Earl Clark, he was arguably their 4th best player last season.

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Is D'antoni still the coach? Then yeah there won't be anyone coming off the bench

Well, he'll start until Kirby's not playing, but once Kirby plays, their starting line-up will most likely be:

Nash
Kirby
Johnson
Hill
Pau

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Johnson and Hill can somewhat play defense, Young is a good scorer but his defense is ass, Laker fans better hope he doesn't start alongside Kirby and Nash, tbh.

ElNono
10-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Odom was good, but overall the 2013 front court is better, Hill was actually very productive under Mike Brown, MDA is making him shoot 20 ft jumpers, which will limit his production as he's further away from the basket. Hill's strength is his ability to rebound and score on putbacks inside.

Lakers are missing a player like Odom, they need a 4 that can handle the ball like an SF and who can shoot the open J, Hill and Wes suck ass.

Hill is basically Turiaf. Hustle guy inside, with no offense. Kaman is basically Chris Mim with a beard. Offensively, Pau is much superior than anything in that 05-06 team, but defensively, I think the old team has the advantage.

Trainwreck2100
10-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Hill is basically Turiaf. Hustle guy inside, with no offense. Kaman is basically Chris Mim with a beard. Offensively, Pau is much superior than anything in that 05-06 team, but defensively, I think the old team has the advantage.

they won't need defense to beat the teams in their division (not counting clipps of course) or most of the teams in the East

ElNono
10-07-2013, 01:19 AM
they won't need defense to beat the teams in their division (not counting clipps of course) or most of the teams in the East

that's true.

Trainwreck2100
10-07-2013, 01:21 AM
that's true.

another thing to add is that their offense won't be stalled by hack a howard like last season. I think they probably make the playoffs

ElNono
10-07-2013, 01:52 AM
another thing to add is that their offense won't be stalled by hack a howard like last season. I think they probably make the playoffs

woha, woha.. slow down there... teams didn't really use hack a howard much...

Plus Howard scored A LOT for the Lakeshow last season. Here's the top 10:

1.Kobe Bryant - 2133 pts
2.Dwight Howard - 1296 pts (gone)
3.Metta World Peace - 929 pts (gone)
4.Antawn Jamison - 712 pts (gone)
5.Pau Gasol - 673 pts
6.Steve Nash - 636 pts
7.Jodie Meeks - 618 pts
8.Earl Clark - 428 pts (gone)
9.Steve Blake - 327 pts
10.Jordan Hill - 194 pts

Even with Gasol playing more games, there's no way Swaggy P makes up for all that.

spurraider21
10-07-2013, 01:56 AM
if Kobe can't win with this...

Spurs da champs
10-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Warriors?

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2013, 03:11 AM
05/06 is bullshit

seriously kobe never had a prime or peaked years, dude is nothing more than a chucker...give any volume scorer the amount of FGA and im sure they can avg what the clown did

CitizenDwayne
10-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Stalemate.

Should be an um...interesting year for the Lakeshow. And Kobe's legacy, imo.

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2013, 05:45 AM
both rosters led to the begging

just wait til end of the 13/14, you see these clowns begging for a star FA to join them....

beggars cant be choosers

racm
10-07-2013, 05:49 AM
both rosters led to the begging

just wait til end of the 13/14, you see these clowns begging for a star FA to join them....

beggars cant be choosers

Worst case for LA: Melo stays in New York, LeBron and Wade stay in Miami. No one bites at their unlimited cap space because they know they'll lose their touches playing alongside Kobe, especially if his leg injuries begin to considerably limit him.

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Worst case for LA: Melo stays in New York, LeBron and Wade stay in Miami. No one bites at their unlimited cap space because they know they'll lose their touches playing alongside Kobe, especially if his leg injuries begin to considerably limit him.

interesting how players would chose to go play for the lakers even with all its history, but they ignore chicago cause of jordans history with the team, seriously i dont know why the double standards when it comes to these teams for FA to select from....they afraid they wont live up to the hype living upto jordans achievements in chicago, when for nearly 2 decades since his retirement the bulls have done jackshit,

as for the lakers seems like they dont care if you live up to the expectations of the team, look at all the recent players who have signed with them and move on to other teams leaving on bad terms....

racm
10-07-2013, 06:07 AM
interesting how players would chose to go play for the lakers even with all its history, but they ignore chicago cause of jordans history with the team, seriously i dont know why the double standards when it comes to these teams for FA to select from....they afraid they wont live up to the hype living upto jordans achievements in chicago, when for nearly 2 decades since his retirement the bulls have done jackshit,

as for the lakers seems like they dont care if you live up to the expectations of the team, look at all the recent players who have signed with them and move on to other teams leaving on bad terms....

Well, that, and the fact that the Bulls don't have cap space until Boozer comes off the books and Derrick Rose has a contract whose terms are named after him. Reinsdorf is notorious for having the Bulls as his second franchise to the White Sox.

LkrFan
10-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Pretty even, IMO. While Nash is a big name, he's too hurt to make an impact at this stage. Turiaf always been underrated, and between Sasha and Farmar is kind of a wash.

You also have the Bynum that used to be able to walk, who I always thought was much better than Pau grabbing the rebounds from Kirby's misses and putting them back.
2005 Bynum wasn't shitPERIOD. There's a reason why PJ didn't play him as a rook.

LkrFan
10-07-2013, 06:09 AM
:lol

LkrFan
10-07-2013, 06:13 AM
And :lol at Lakers not even making an offer to Earl Clark, he was arguably their 4th best player last season.
How you figure? You think Mitch didn't want to re-sign him? He's young and finally broke out. You know what that means? He didn't want a 1-year deal - which was all he was gonna get. So..."Apologize for your math (and reasoning skills)" :lol

LkrFan
10-07-2013, 06:24 AM
2005-2006 Lakers:

Kobe Bryant
Andrew Bynum - Not ready
Lamar Odom - Inconsistent :bang
Stanislav Medvedenko - :lol
Sasha Vujacic - :lmao
Brian Cook ^
Devean George :rollin:bang :rollin
Jim Jackson {oldPERIOD}
Devin Green - who?
Kwame Brown. - :rollin :lmao :rollin
Ronny Turiaf - :tu
Aaron McKie - expiring skills and contract
Chris Mihm - :lmao
Smush Parker - :rollin :lmao :rollin
Laron Profit - Kobe lookalike
Von Wafer - :lol
Luke Walton :bang:rollin:bang

or

2013-2014 Lakers:

Kobe Bryant
Pau Gasol
Steve Nash
Nick Young
Jordan Farmar
Steve Blake
Dan Gadzuric
Elias Harris
Xavier Henry
Jordan Hill
Wesley Johnson
Chris Kaman
Ryan Kelly
Marcus Landry
Jodie Meeks
Robert Sacre
Shawne Williams
2013 wins by default tbh. :lol

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 07:29 AM
How you figure? You think Mitch didn't want to re-sign him? He's young and finally broke out. You know what that means? He didn't want a 1-year deal - which was all he was gonna get. So..."Apologize for your math (and reasoning skills)" :lol

what? EC himself said he'd sign with the Lakers because they were the ones to give him a chance which led to him breaking out as a decent role player & maybe even a starter. Lakers obviously didn't offer him an actual deal because they want to keep cap space for 2014, could have easily offered him like 3-4m this year and a team option for 2014 in case they needed the space.

In February it was reported that Clark "really wants to stay" (http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/2/4/3951156/nba-free-agent-lakers-earl-clark-wants-to-sign-with-lakers-next-season)with the Lakers and his stance did not change once the season came to an end. Clark told reporters during his exit interview process that he would be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Lakers, and that he wants to be in L.A., reports Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News (http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/04/29/earl-clark-wants-to-return-to-the-lakers-even-at-a-cheaper-price/):
"It’s not always about the money," said Clark, who earned $1.2 million this season. "You could go somewhere with more money and be in a bad situation. I’m not trying to do that."

"I want to have a consistent role on a team that believed I could help them win every night," Clark said. "Hopefully I’ll be here. I want to be here. I like the way we play. I think it fits me. We’ll see. I hope Mitch feels the same way."
Money won't be the issue when it comes time for the front office to decide on Clark, but whether he can progress beyond what he showed this season, along with the matter of where he actually fits on the roster, will be the make or break questions on whether Clark get's to stay with the Lakers. Don't expect the Lakers to rush out of the gates to bring Clark back before weighing in other options.

AchillesHeel
10-07-2013, 07:33 AM
And guess what the Lakers are missing right now? A stretch 4 that can hit the open shot and slash when needed. Hill is not a consistent shooter, EC was much better at that yet they decided to not sign EC. They Signed Kaman, who has never actually played PF, so Gasol I think will eventually have to play PF again if Hill doesn't progress in his new role(Hill knows MDA's system, he was a lottery pick for NY and he was a bust in that system, traded in his rookie year).

Captivus
10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
if Kobe can't win with this...

Blue font?

Leetonidas
10-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Prime Kobe was much better than TOSB Kobe but outside of him that 2006 team is trash. Bynum was nothing back then. Odom was the only decent player besides Kobe. 2013 is filled with a bunch of scrubs and washed up has beens but current Gasol is better than anyone on the 2006 squad sans Kobe. Same goes for Nash and Kaman imo

Killakobe81
10-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Prime Kobe was much better than TOSB Kobe but outside of him that 2006 team is trash. Bynum was nothing back then. Odom was the only decent player besides Kobe. 2013 is filled with a bunch of scrubs and washed up has beens but current Gasol is better than anyone on the 2006 squad sans Kobe. Same goes for Nash and Kaman imo

This. Odom only other player in 2006 that could play a significant role on a legit contender. Pau and Nash ate past their prime but still could be significant 3rd options on the right contending team

LkrFan
10-07-2013, 03:55 PM

+100 points son. I've been telling your farmer buddies that besides Kobe, the 2006 Lakers roster (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202532) was green shit on a stick. No BNSF listened but you. Gotta give you your props son. :tu