PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated/Underappreciated Movie?

Phillip
10-08-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm going to start the list with Minority Report.

DeadlyDynasty
10-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Videodrome

Phillip
10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Collateral

DPG21920
10-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Bloodsport.

DeadlyDynasty
10-08-2013, 11:59 PM
The Razor's Edge (1984)

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Jacob's Ladder

monosylab1k
10-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Dirty Work

monosylab1k
10-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Half Nelson

RD2191
10-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Johnny Tsunami(1999)

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Major Payne

Toooooooooooooooooot Tooooooooooooooooooooot!

HI-FI
10-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Miami Vice (2006) a flop and people shat on it, but I dug the shit out of it, much more than Mann's Public Enemies, which could maybe make this list as well.

HI-FI
10-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Brain Candy. damn why didn't Kids in the Hall make more movies. to this day I still quote this one a lot, and I swear Mark McKinney's corporate CEO was a predecessor for Dr. Evil.

HI-FI
10-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Howard the Duck. fuck it, i own it and i still don't get the hate. Lea Thompson in this flick was the reason boners were created.

Holden_Caulfield
10-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Dragonball

Jacob1983
10-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Life As A House. Kevin Kline should have been nominated for an Oscar in that movie and shitty Hayden Christensen was actually good in it too. And let's not forget the sexy Kristen Scott Thomas is in it too. This movie really gets to your emotions and can make you relate to it if you have a dysfunctional family or family drama.

DJR210
10-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Robocop 2

Thebesteva
10-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Collateral

Agreed, it came out at a time when Tom Cruise was one of the most hated men in Hollywood. The film is brilliant...a bit slow paced at times but absolutely brilliant. Fuck it im gonna watch it again now

mojorizen7
10-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Alien3
The extended cut. Theatrical cut is bad and makes little sense.

Sharky's Machine
Dirty Harry ripoff with better characters.

Rogue
10-09-2013, 05:36 AM
the Island is pretty underrated too imho. It definitely deserves more appreciation that it actually got simply for the fact that it's a Michael Bay film starring my goddess.

Rogue
10-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Manny & lo is also a film that received less attention & appreciation than it deserved imho. My goddess was accredited for her tremendous performance in the film and was recognized as a promising young star but the film itself was hardly a successs. It was the poor performance of Lo that killed its odd of winning any legit award imho, bitch looked 10yrs older than my goddess when she was in fact just 3 years senior.

resistanze
10-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

UZER
10-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Harsh Times - Bale should've been nominated for something in that movie.

bus driver
10-09-2013, 08:54 AM
true lies

bigzak25
10-09-2013, 10:30 AM
The Kentucky Fried Movie

xmas1997
10-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Easy Rider - underrated

Titanic - overrated

Spur|n|Austin
10-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Heavyweights is underrated imo, Ben Stiller is gotdayum hilarious in it!

mrsmaalox
10-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Too many: The Player, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, Pan's Labyrinth, An Education, Little Children, Doubt, Revolutionary Road.....

Spur|n|Austin
10-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Too many: The Player, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, Pan's Labyrinth, An Education, Little Children, Doubt, Revolutionary Road.....

Good ones!

Leetonidas
10-09-2013, 11:56 AM
A couple movies I've never heard anyone mention:

Light it Up
Little Children
Idiocracy

benefactor
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Sharky's Machine and Collateral...:tu

Gattaca

leemajors
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Harsh Times - Bale should've been nominated for something in that movie.

I'd rather watch Hard Times instead

Windy City Heat tbh

benefactor
10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
The Golden Child...in a decade full of Eddie Murphy gold it got pretty bad reviews, but it contains some of the funniest scenes and one liners he's ever produced. Yes it's cheesy...but the Eddie Murphy goods outweigh the cheese.

bigzak25
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
good call on the golden child. i want the knife...

Blake
10-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Better Off Dead (John Cusak)

silverblk mystix
10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
True Romance

monosylab1k
10-09-2013, 05:09 PM
True Romance

Other than the genius Sicilian scene that was pretty much a piece of shit.

Chief Brody
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Bullet...love the end with Buffalo Bill killing Pac

silverblk mystix
10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Other than the genius Sicilian scene that was pretty much a piece of shit.

Nah, it had a lot of moments...

the Elvis thing, the brad pitt stoner thing, the christmas L.A. "winter" thing, the patricia arquette/gondolfini fight motel scene, the gary oldman wanna be "black" character,

off the top of my head.

SA210
10-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Too many to name, but here are a few imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYGJTiylkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZfVuhVqi4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocAeBZdSDWg

HI-FI
10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Predator 2. It's definitely not as good as part one, since McTiernan >> Hopkins and Arnold >> Danny Glover, but when you look at the pure shit that followed, it was a pretty good movie.

Blake
10-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Too many to name, but here are a few imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYGJTiylkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZfVuhVqi4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocAeBZdSDWg

None of those are underrated or under appreciated.

Shit, Legends won an Oscar

CuckingFunt
10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
New York, New York.

SA210
10-09-2013, 09:41 PM
None of those are underrated or under appreciated.

Shit, Legends won an Oscar

They can still be underrated, and that's also why I said "imo"

And Casualties of War IS underrated/under appreciated.

DeadlyDynasty
10-09-2013, 09:45 PM
CoW might be the worst Vietnam movie I've ever seen...worse than some of the Chuck Norris ones as well.

SA210
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
It was never appreciated bc it was about exposing some American soldiers for kidnapping, raping, and murdering..committing war crimes, which isn't very popular to admit or realize here in the states. Movie wasn't really about the war itself, imo..but the war between the soldiers surrounding that incident. Great film tbh.

DMC
10-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I thought Road to Perdition was pretty good.

Skull-1
10-09-2013, 10:08 PM
DIE HARD. IRON EAGLE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6R1sJrWPk RED DAWN. (The Original.) THE YOUNG LIONS.

DeadlyDynasty
10-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Dressed to Kill and Body Double
Running Man

HI-FI
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Dressed to Kill and Body Double
Running Man

I heart and own Body Double. it's the purest DePalma film I've seen, in terms of blatant Hitchcockian plus kinky elements. I still need to see all of Dressed to Kill, only seen parts of it.

In some ways Scarface would've been considered underrated if not for the growth on VHS and in black communities. but Body Double is truly underrated. time to spin that Pino Donaggio tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixfk_sc64fg
this version sounds different than the one I got off of iTunes.

DeadlyDynasty
10-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I heart and own Body Double. it's the purest DePalma film I've seen, in terms of blatant Hitchcockian plus kinky elements. I still need to see all of Dressed to Kill, only seen parts of it.

In some ways Scarface would've been considered underrated if not for the growth on VHS and in black communities. but Body Double is truly underrated. time to spin that Pino Donaggio tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixfk_sc64fg
this version sounds different than the one I got off of iTunes.
No joke, I was listening to that theme 2 minutes after I made that post:lol

Good shit:tu

CitizenDwayne
10-11-2013, 08:50 PM
^ You could go ahead and add Blow Out to that. '80s De Palma was the shit.

DeadlyDynasty
10-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Haven't seen Blow Out...will catch it tonight if it's on viozz.

Nbadan
10-11-2013, 11:21 PM
funny, but.... Hall Pass

cantthinkofanything
10-11-2013, 11:31 PM
^ You could go ahead and add Blow Out to that. '80s De Palma was the shit.

That's a great call. I forgot about that one. Loved Body Double as well. I remember them showing that all the time on HBO. Had one of those Jerrold converters that you could open up and tune in all the channels.

No Way Out was a good flick.
And Pandemonium with Pee Wee Herman

Two10Whitey
10-12-2013, 12:46 AM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee71/VernonWelss/chongliplaysmeandrums.gif

exstatic
10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
The Razor's Edge (1984)

Bill Murray trying to be serious, and thereby being hilarious anyway. :lol

quentin_compson
10-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Welcome to L.A. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076910/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Mark in Austin
10-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Midnight Run

DeadlyDynasty
10-13-2013, 12:55 AM
oh billy

CitizenDwayne
10-13-2013, 01:20 AM
^Midnight Express.

Both are good.

I'd also add Runaway Train.

The Reckoning
10-13-2013, 05:30 AM
The Man Who Would Be King

DMC
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Secondhand Lions

Thread
01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
The Man Who Would Be King

Absofuckinglutely. A spectacular film. Caine at prime's prime and Connery backing off in spots just enough to allow the film to explode. It's human nature, WASP style to the max.

Caine's real life wife plays the girl Connery weds and it is she who destroys them both.
"Billy Fish" is the best sidekick and settles the movie every single time it starts to roil.
"Rudyard Kipling" sees it all before it happens---but, cannot stop them. "But I am the correspondent for the 'Northern Star'!" over the train whistle---"What?"---lmao!!!

Outstanding citation, Reck. It's on my shelf, and I will retrieve it momentarily.

Thread
01-18-2014, 03:35 PM
I heart and own Body Double. it's the purest DePalma film I've seen

A big problem with it is the Shelton girl. She either can't act, or, was faking it in order to neutralize her death scene. Either way that scene has the desired affect on "Scully"---but, the viewer is left kinda left in the lurch between pretending to be scared and laughing for crying out loud.

bigzak25
01-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Double jeopardy. Nice ashley judd.

SnakeBoy
01-18-2014, 03:40 PM
And Casualties of War IS underrated/under appreciated.

It is not possible to under appreciate Michael J. Fox

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Miller's Crossong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20TMRnPR40

Thread
01-18-2014, 03:50 PM
It is not possible to under appreciate Michael J. Fox

Amen.

Thread
01-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Midnight Run

It is a good movie, though DeNiro's character kind of pussies out at the end in the airport. Instead of taking on "Serrano" in a more honorable way, like Serrano did him, he gets him via the police, like a rat. It's unbecoming.

CubanSucks
01-18-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't remember this thread.

anyway, mine is Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. It's one of my favorite movies in general. The soundtrack, the history, the personal lives of people back then, the mystery of the sea and the ship they were chasing, the dialogue between the Captain and the Doctor, and most definitely the intensity of the battle scenes. Fuck I love that movie

Thread
01-18-2014, 04:36 PM
^Frankly, Sucks, I thought "Master and Commander" interminable.

UZER
01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
O Brother where art thou

Not a big Clooney fan, but love him in this movie.

JMarkJohns
01-18-2014, 06:23 PM
LA Confidential

A tangled web has seldom been woven better, yet it rarely gets any due. Tip-toed the line between reverent and caricature with a playful, but convincing telling. Strong acting, captivating characters, creating that nudge-nudge-wink-wink facade of "this Hollywood make pretending, but believe us, this shit happens every day."

ChumpDumper
01-18-2014, 06:33 PM
LA Confidential

A tangled web has seldom been woven better, yet it rarely gets any due.It got like ten Oscar nominations. I guess one could claim it has been kind of forgotten maybe.

JMarkJohns
01-18-2014, 06:42 PM
It got like ten Oscar nominations. I guess one could claim it has been kind of forgotten maybe.

I know it had initial acclaim, but it sits on the shelf of successful films collecting dust. It's never mentioned amongst Oscar greats, and while plenty of mobster movies, both good and bad, live on in a cable replaying for eternity, I can't recall a time I've seen it on TV, basic, premium, or otherwise.

You can ask almost anyone to list the best or their favorite mob/crime movies and it is, as you put, forgotten.

ChumpDumper
01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
I know it had initial acclaim, but it sits on the shelf of successful films collecting dust. It's never mentioned amongst Oscar greats, and while plenty of mobster movies, both good and bad, live on in a cable replaying for eternity, I can't recall a time I've seen it on TV, basic, premium, or otherwise.

You can ask almost anyone to list the best or their favorite mob/crime movies and it is, as you put, forgotten.I think it's mainly because Curtis Hanson never did anything that good again.

JMarkJohns
01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
I think it's mainly because Curtis Hanson never did anything that good again.

Possibly. Just weird. Had two Oscar wins, multiple other nominations including Best Picture, boasts an all-star cast, dabbles in just enough controversy to all Hollywood to pat itself on the back for acclaim, yet it's like most washed their hands of the film within a few years of its make.

I seriously can't remember it having any sort of cable life, despite being a film that helped launch Crowe and Pearce, and has infinitely cable-friendly sorts of DeVito and Spacey.

Just odd.

ChumpDumper
01-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Possibly. Just weird. Had two Oscar wins, multiple other nominations including Best Picture, boasts an all-star cast, dabbles in just enough controversy to all Hollywood to pat itself on the back for acclaim, yet it's like most washed their hands of the film within a few years of its make.

I seriously can't remember it having any sort of cable life, despite being a film that helped launch Crowe and Pearce, and has infinitely cable-friendly sorts of DeVito and Spacey.

Just odd.Oh it was in heavy rotation on TNT for a few years.

They tried to make a series out of it a few years later.

Come to think of it, no one has really been able to do much of anything with James Ellroy's stuff since then either -- or 50s style or influenced west coast crime anymore. LA Confidential seem like the culmination of the revival of that genre that started around 1970.

What has come out since? Gangster Squad?

JMarkJohns
01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I must have missed it on TNT. Weird, because I remember seeing many shitty flicks on the channel.

Maybe it's just me. But I follow films very closely and save for an initial burst onto the scene, I don't recall any lasting appreciation of the film.

It's never mentioned as an Oscar darling, not even during the month of February when every film seems to be celebrated.

benefactor
01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Thread
01-18-2014, 07:40 PM
^I'll tell you:::it (Confidential) was propped up and jammed down "our" throats. And of course this fool fell for it and paid his money to sit thru it. Overrated pablum and a set up.

ChumpDumper
01-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Yeah, the whole film genre seemed to be put in the deep freeze after that.

I guess I'll check out Gangster Squad and maybe Mob City (I think cable might be the place to revive the genre), but I haven't been super excited about what I've hear about either.

Joyrider
01-18-2014, 07:49 PM
A Bronx Tale

Thread
01-18-2014, 09:17 PM
A Bronx Tale

Agreed, though I have some issues with this motion picture:

One, the mother disappears about 2/3 of the way thru without explanation.
Two, "Sonny" would not have condoned "C's" relationship with the black girl. No fucking way!
Three, it's too damn convenient at the end when Pesci shows up at the funeral parlor and assures "C" that he will not lose his meal ticket.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Agreed, though I have some issues with this motion picture:

One, the mother disappears about 2/3 of the way thru without explanation.
Two, "Sonny" would not have condoned "C's" relationship with the black girl. No fucking way!
Three, it's too damn convenient at the end when Pesci shows up at the funeral parlor and assures "C" that he will not lose his meal ticket.

I only agree with point #2, Cub...the other 2 I have no issue with but old school guineas HATE black people. My favorite scene of that movie is the biker gang getting their asses beat by Sonny and his guys. "Now yous can't leave":lol

Thread
01-18-2014, 09:29 PM
I only agree with point #2, Cub...the other 2 I have no issue with but old school guineas HATE black people. My favorite scene of that movie is the biker gang getting their asses beat by Sonny and his guys. "Now yous can't leave":lol

But, even that scene is cockeyed, Deads. It looks bad on the screen. It evokes no response, no emotion, no catharsis. "Sonny" looks a little pussy confronting these clowns AFTER they've humiliated the neighborhood by just entering it AND squirting the beer everywhere, making a spectacle of the bartender. I wished they'd have cut that scene, or, redid it another way. Contrast it with the way "Sonny" admonishes "C" for chasing that kid down for a few bucks. It's brilliant.

& the way the movie concocts "Sonny's" involvement & condemnation (out of hand) with "C's" gang. It's topsy turvy again. "Sonny" is all over the map with his sermonizing. In total it does not add up and frustrates a viewer.

Thread
01-18-2014, 09:38 PM
I only agree with point #2, Cub...the other 2 I have no issue with

It's important that the mother be accounted for. There is a line there twixt the couple when he won't take the money for running numbers on his bus route and she will. She wants that money. That is a rift there, a large void in the marriage and it's never touched again. Why show us this calamity if you're not going to expand on it, not settle it, but, have everyone put there cards on the table. He went first. She went second. And it laid there until she went MIA. I wonder if a part got cut. And it may have been just me, but, there seemed to be a dissatisfaction in the marriage from her, even before DeNiro turned down the money. She looked unhappy, unsettled, whereas he was in the exact place he wanted to be, going from home to Yankee Stadium 5 days a week on his bus.

What do you think, Deads?

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 09:40 PM
It's important that the mother be accounted for. There is a line there twixt the couple when he won't take the money for running numbers on his bus route and she will. She wants that money. That is a rift there, a large void in the marriage and it's never touched again. Why show us this calamity if you're not going to expand on it, not settle it, but, have everyone put there cards on the table. He went first. She went second. And it laid there until she went MIA. I wonder if a part got cut. And it may have been just me, but, there seemed to be a dissatisfaction in the marriage from her, even before DeNiro turned down the money. She looked unhappy, unsettled, whereas he was in the exact place he wanted to be, going from home to Yankee Stadium 5 days a week on his bus.

What do you think, Deads?

I never gave it much thought till now, tbh. Maybe that was De Niro's graceful way of saying women are money-grubbing whores--by just having the audience assume she left. Still doesn't make sense though since she chastises C earlier for hanging out at Sonny's bar, and makes sure to keep his ass on the stoop and not in the street

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Khartoum - Heston was decent, but Olivier as the Mahdist leader was surprisingly good (and a little scary).

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Couple more...

Salvador
Hamburger Hill

HI-FI
01-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Couple more...

Salvador
Hamburger Hill
Salvador is a weird flick for me. I think had Stone directed it later in his career it would've been better, but it's an oddity, I just chalk it up to inexperience and probably copious drug usage (per the par for Stone) that made it not work for me. It's not a bad movie, and I'd agree it's underappreciated, I just think the tone is wonky.

a seriously underappreciated film is David Fincher's Zodiac. I own it and saw it twice in theaters so I'd say it's my favorite Fincher film and I think his best work, but I think it was too subdued to be appreciated like Fight Club or Social Network. It was really Fincher's warped love letter to the Bay Area of his youth, and I just love the atmosphere of that movie, something he can do in his sleep.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3128/zodiac2007sd2.jpg
It was also a big part of Robert Downey Jr.'s comeback, along with Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkley. I also loved the use of CGI in Zodiac, I didn't even realize how much of it was used but was shocked to see entire neighborhoods in Frisco recreated via CGI.

Major props to the Harris Savides cinematography (rest in peace) and David Shire's excellent score.

btw I still need to see all of Hamburger Hill. I also think you could easily add Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Scanner Darkley to this list.

Reck
01-18-2014, 10:50 PM
The remake of Judge Dredd.

Pretty etertaining movie. I decided to watch this movie thinking it was going to suck majorly but got pleasantly surprised at how good it actually was.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 11:03 PM
The remake of Judge Dredd.

Pretty etertaining movie. I decided to watch this movie thinking it was going to suck majorly but got pleasantly surprised at how good it actually was.

The chick in your sig has tranny-face, tbh

Thread
01-18-2014, 11:10 PM
They had "Quest For Fire" on today from '82 about the cavemen. I wouldn't say that was underrated, but, it was a fine production and a helluva lot of work went into it. My God, the language alone must have been a life achievement. It's held up nice 30 years in.

Reck
01-18-2014, 11:18 PM
The chick in your sig has tranny-face, tbh

Same slut from this vid, dont know if you seen it but tranny or not I'd fuck. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pGiae3Zbc

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Same slut from this vid, dont know if you seen it but tranny or not I'd fuck. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pGiae3Zbc

You should put that vid as your sig instead...she's much hotter in that. The pic you have now screams TS Abbey Diaz imo

Reck
01-18-2014, 11:34 PM
You should put that vid as your sig instead...she's much hotter in that. The pic you have now screams TS Abbey Diaz imo

I may.

Only thing is the fairy getting in the way.

benefactor
01-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Zodiac...:tu

CuckingFunt
01-18-2014, 11:48 PM
I think it's mainly because Curtis Hanson never did anything that good again.

Not even close, really. Wonder Boys is solid, but LA Confidential stands out so far from everything else on Hanson's resume it's almost funny.

Over the course of a decade, he went from The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, to The River Wild, to LA Confidential, to Wonder Boys, to 8 Mile. One of these things is not like the other, indeed.

CuckingFunt
01-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Come to think of it, no one has really been able to do much of anything with James Ellroy's stuff since then either -- or 50s style or influenced west coast crime anymore. LA Confidential seem like the culmination of the revival of that genre that started around 1970.

What has come out since? Gangster Squad?

Gangster Squad was a mess.

Only thing I can think of that's done a good job of the period west coast crime thing since LA Confidential would actually be LA Noire, which sold terribly.

CuckingFunt
01-18-2014, 11:58 PM
a seriously underappreciated film is David Fincher's Zodiac.

Love this film. I love Fight Club and Se7en, but for me this is easily with them at the top of Fincher's filmography.

Rogue
01-19-2014, 12:21 AM
each movie our Goddess made that didn't win her any sort of award is, in some way, underrated :cry

Rogue
01-19-2014, 12:23 AM
never watched zodiac but you know it ain't a bad film when you see IronMan and Hulk on the cast list, tbh.

CitizenDwayne
01-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Gangster Squad was a mess.

Only thing I can think of that's done a good job of the period west coast crime thing since LA Confidential would actually be LA Noire, which sold terribly.

Seems the audience for those neo-noir flicks is at an all-time low; unless they involve Batman, that is. A shame, Ellroy's novel The Big Nowhere is just begging to be made into a film. It's an even better story than Confidential, imo

DMC
01-19-2014, 01:35 AM
Absofuckinglutely. A spectacular film. Caine at prime's prime and Connery backing off in spots just enough to allow the film to explode. It's human nature, WASP style to the max.

Caine's real life wife plays the girl Connery weds and it is she who destroys them both.
"Billy Fish" is the best sidekick and settles the movie every single time it starts to roil.
"Rudyard Kipling" sees it all before it happens---but, cannot stop them. "But I am the correspondent for the 'Northern Star'!" over the train whistle---"What?"---lmao!!!

Outstanding citation, Reck. It's on my shelf, and I will retrieve it momentarily.

Man to woman: "you like Kipling?"

Woman to man: "I don't know you naughty boy, I've never Kippled"

DMC
01-19-2014, 01:42 AM
Salvador is a weird flick for me. I think had Stone directed it later in his career it would've been better, but it's an oddity, I just chalk it up to inexperience and probably copious drug usage (per the par for Stone) that made it not work for me. It's not a bad movie, and I'd agree it's underappreciated, I just think the tone is wonky.

a seriously underappreciated film is David Fincher's Zodiac. I own it and saw it twice in theaters so I'd say it's my favorite Fincher film and I think his best work, but I think it was too subdued to be appreciated like Fight Club or Social Network. It was really Fincher's warped love letter to the Bay Area of his youth, and I just love the atmosphere of that movie, something he can do in his sleep.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3128/zodiac2007sd2.jpg
It was also a big part of Robert Downey Jr.'s comeback, along with Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkley. I also loved the use of CGI in Zodiac, I didn't even realize how much of it was used but was shocked to see entire neighborhoods in Frisco recreated via CGI.

Major props to the Harris Savides cinematography (rest in peace) and David Shire's excellent score.

btw I still need to see all of Hamburger Hill. I also think you could easily add Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Scanner Darkley to this list.

Robert Downey Jr is highly underrated. He could do much more serious roles. One of the best actors in the world IMO.

Mark in Austin
01-19-2014, 01:52 AM
It is a good movie, though DeNiro's character kind of pussies out at the end in the airport. Instead of taking on "Serrano" in a more honorable way, like Serrano did him, he gets him via the police, like a rat. It's unbecoming.

I think you're missing the point. In Jack's mind, getting Serrano arrested "by the book" IS the most honorable way. He proves he's more of a policeman than any of the "real" cops still on the force and on the take.

Maybe you didn't do the litmus configuration?

monosylab1k
01-19-2014, 02:23 AM
I realize its cool to mock 8 Mile, but aside from the inherent cheesiness of rap battles, the movie ain't bad. Could absolutely be considered underrated, as opposed to the Curtis Hanson film nominated for fucking Best Picture :lol

Seriously, can we all just agree that anything nominated for multiple Oscars and Best Picture had zero business being listed here?

monosylab1k
01-19-2014, 02:25 AM
Robert Downey Jr is highly underrated. He could do much more serious roles. One of the best actors in the world IMO.

When he's not doing his overacting caricature work in big budget action films, i'd agree.

HI-FI
01-19-2014, 03:26 AM
of Ridley Scott's later work, I have to say Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut is the most underrated. The theatrical cut basically bombed at the theaters, didn't get much recognition, but I think the Director's Cut is very close to being a classic. I have some issues with the script, Orlando Bloom is still Orlando Bloom, but he does a decent job and the movie has moments of true greatness. The usual fantastic visuals and world building from Ridley, a fucking badass battle at the end, and good score from Harry Gregor Williamson who I know more from his Metal Gear Solid music.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5t1kqrWFX1qzpbd2o1_r2_500.gif

FkLA
01-19-2014, 04:09 AM
Blood In Blood Out

Escape From Alcatraz

Solo

Kickboxer

Surrogates

In Time

FkLA
01-19-2014, 04:10 AM
+1 on Minority report, Idiocracy and Bloodsport

JMarkJohns
01-19-2014, 11:40 AM
I realize its cool to mock 8 Mile, but aside from the inherent cheesiness of rap battles, the movie ain't bad. Could absolutely be considered underrated, as opposed to the Curtis Hanson film nominated for fucking Best Picture :lol

Seriously, can we all just agree that anything nominated for multiple Oscars and Best Picture had zero business being listed here?

Title said underappreciated, too.

It is absolutely possible for something to be met with swift and immediate acclaim, then very quickly be almost forgotten, even in the month of February when every movie ever beloved by the Academy is circle-jerked.

I provided a frame of context for the opinion, citing that it's like the film dropped off the face of the earth.

But, cool. Way to think inside the box.

Here's one. Drive.

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Surveillance

monosylab1k
01-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Title said underappreciated, too.

It is absolutely possible for something to be met with swift and immediate acclaim, then very quickly be almost forgotten, even in the month of February when every movie ever beloved by the Academy is circle-jerked.

I provided a frame of context for the opinion, citing that it's like the film dropped off the face of the earth.

But, cool. Way to think inside the box.

Here's one. Drive.

:cry nobody appreciated the movie after months of critical acclaim and dozens of award nominations by every award show :cry

Way to think so far out of the box that you go completely outside the definition of the word underappreciated. :cry let's redefine the entire English language to fit my personal worldview :cry

JMarkJohns
01-19-2014, 02:43 PM
:cry nobody appreciated the movie after months of critical acclaim and dozens of award nominations by every award show :cry

Way to think so far out of the box that you go completely outside the definition of the word underappreciated. :cry let's redefine the entire English language to fit my personal worldview :cry

So, you're going to say a film like Aviator isn't underappreciated, maybe even underrated simply because it was met with some acclaim? Within several contexts I can see how amongst Scorsese films it's undervalued, or how within the biopic genre it was long-term overlooked, or within film quality it has several elements such as acting, directing that are underappreciated.

But since it was met with initial acclaim, never mind that Scorsese was snubbed for Best Director, or that it lost to the utterly unimaginative Million Dollar Baby for best picture. It had a number of wins and a hell of a lot more nominations. Nevermind that most people don't recall who was in it, what it was about, or whom it was based on. Nevermind that Encore plays a crap ton of Scorsese films including Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Last Temptation, but almost never if ever plays Aviator.

It's not underrated, underappreciated, or undervalued at all ever, because the Academy once celebrated the film for a few weeks.

Cool. How hipster-like of you.

Fpoonsie
03-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Rushmore
The Last Kiss

(...Blank Check)

Avante
03-09-2014, 07:41 AM
The Sword and the Dragon, a Russian made fantasy flick back in the late 50's.

5NGuNxw5jQc

xmas1997
03-09-2014, 10:35 AM
The Memories Men

Saving Private Ryan

Thread
03-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Saving Private Ryan

How was that {Under} either one, x?

Seriously.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Ryan might be overrated if anything.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
How was that {Under} either one, x?

Seriously.

That was my question too. Saving Private Ryan had a good opening scene and then sucked the rest of the movie and gets glorified as a classic.

CitizenDwayne
03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Citizen Kane

Casablanca

Gone with the Wind

The Godfather

ChumpDumper
03-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Citizen Kane

Casablanca

Gone with the Wind

The Godfatherlol

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
:lmao

Thread
03-09-2014, 12:31 PM
There is a small picture that released in '71, "Red Sky at Morning" and it is a period piece from the 1940s and deals with a young man (Richard Thomas) coming of age in a small town in New Mexico where his father (played splendidly by Richard Crenna) has ensconced his son (Thomas) & wife (the gorgeous Claire Bloom) for the duration as he volunteers to go off and fight the Japs. It deals primarily with race & class distinction and how these two weights must shape us. Harry Guardino has a small, but, pivotal role as Crenna's best friend and he builds a "Mt. Rushmore" here in the Southwest. Desi Arnaz, Jr. & Catherine Burns, both young players at the time are tremendous.

John Colicos, a fine character actor at that time has the plum role in the film as he plays a distant Southern cousin come to visit there and becomes too close-too cozy with the Southern genteel & mentally unstable Bloom.

For some reason this motion picture has not been released onto DVD.

DMX7
03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Requiem for a Dream... a masterpiece.

DMX7
03-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Ryan might be overrated if anything.

It should have won the academy award for best picture though.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
It should have won the academy award for best picture though.Certainly shouldn't have been that Shakespeare abortion, but there were two other great WW2 flicks nominated as well that I would probably take as whole movies over Ryan. I guess the common subject may have diluted the voting.

xmas1997
03-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Certainly shouldn't have been that Shakespeare abortion, but there were two other great WW2 flicks nominated as well that I would probably take as whole movies over Ryan. I guess the common subject may have diluted the voting.

You must be referring to the Thin Red Line, and ? Windtalkers?

AussieFanKurt
03-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Waltz with Bashir for me.. one of my favourite films.. had the best foreign film robbed from it.. haunting but touching.. an excellent film

AussieFanKurt
03-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Certainly shouldn't have been that Shakespeare abortion, but there were two other great WW2 flicks nominated as well that I would probably take as whole movies over Ryan. I guess the common subject may have diluted the voting.

Definitely... Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line both would have been better choices

Thin Red Line is my favourite war film

ChumpDumper
03-09-2014, 09:48 PM
You must be referring to the Thin Red Line, and ? Windtalkers?Life is Beautiful

Granted, it was a pretty weak year for dramas, conventionally speaking, but anything was better than Shakespeare. I think the best movies from around that time were ones whose impact wasn't immediately felt or ones bodies like the academy wouldn't know what to do with in any case. It was a surprise to me that Thin Red Line got so many nominations, as good as it was.

xmas1997
03-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Life is Beautiful

Granted, it was a pretty weak year for dramas, conventionally speaking, but anything was better than Shakespeare. I think the best movies from around that time were ones whose impact wasn't immediately felt or ones bodies like the academy wouldn't know what to do with in any case. It was a surprise to me that Thin Red Line got so many nominations, as good as it was.

Thin Red Line was good, but IMHO not as good as Ryan, that first 20 minutes or so as they stormed the beach was incredible and extremely intense filming.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Thin Red Line was good, but IMHO not as good as Ryan, that first 20 minutes or so as they stormed the beach was incredible and extremely intense filming.Sure, but the rest was utterly forgettable except for the epilogue.

Thread
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Thin Red Line was good, but IMHO not as good as Ryan, that first 20 minutes or so as they stormed the beach was incredible and extremely intense filming.

But, much too cozy in the tradition of "The Green Mile." In both films Hanks character is pious & presumptive of every man/woman (Mile) he "touches." It's tedious and off putting. By the end of each film I find satisfaction with his demise, even to the point of anticipating it with some affirmation.

TheAdmiral#50
03-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Four Rooms
Windy City Heat

xmas1997
03-23-2014, 02:02 PM
But, much too cozy in the tradition of "The Green Mile." In both films Hanks character is pious & presumptive of every man/woman (Mile) he "touches." It's tedious and off putting. By the end of each film I find satisfaction with his demise, even to the point of anticipating it with some affirmation.

Hm, strange viewpoint, but to each his own.

CitizenDwayne
03-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Four Rooms

Really? What exactly do you like about it?