PDA

View Full Version : Pop has become too obvious

mchammer
07-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I remember Pop a few weeks ago saying he was very excited to get Scola for next season, calling him the best power forward in Europe. Obviously, he was already trying to gain some bargaining leverage for trading his rights. I think Oberto was the plan all along.

As the Spurs FO has repeatedly pulled off trades and moves where they come out ahead, less teams are eager to deal with the Spurs. So I think it will really be tough for the Spurs to move Rasho and get somebody solid in return. Chances are the Spurs will enter the season with him backing up Nazr (he'll probably get more minutes to display his talent) while Oberto transitions to the NBA. Then they'll likely try to trade Rasho before the trading deadline barring any injury to our bigs. Anyway, I think a Rasho trade is a red herring. I think our key to repeating next year is:

1) getting Parker to improve his decionmaking and jumpshot
2) solid back-up for Bruce
3) improved free throw shooting

Hiring Chip should help with 1 & 3, # 2 will be addressed with our remaining $.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-23-2005, 06:38 PM
word.

clubalien
07-23-2005, 06:40 PM
What I don't get is if we aren't going to resign nazr why don't we trade him since he is more likely to get us something good. I guess they want to dump rasho and benfit from nazr till it is time to say goodbye

oberto then rasho backing him up would be a great we used to worry about having a good center and now we are loaded and it seems spurs want to unload down to
oberto and then some scrub center

now there might be some under the table deal to resign nazr and then oberto and nazr backing him up is great

Dre_7
07-23-2005, 06:48 PM

1) Decision making comes with experience.
2) GRob would be a VERY solid backup.
3) Like you said, getting Chip will help out with this.

clubalien
07-23-2005, 11:45 PM
rasho doesn;t seem like the person to demand mins

midgetonadonkey
07-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't see why keeping Rasho is such a bad thing. I like the idea of having a defensive minded 7 footer come off the bench to replace another 7 footer. The deeper the team, the better.

duncan_21
07-24-2005, 01:36 AM
I remember Pop a few weeks ago saying he was very excited to get Scola for next season, calling him the best power forward in Europe. Obviously, he was already trying to gain some bargaining leverage for trading his rights. I think Oberto was the plan all along.

As the Spurs FO has repeatedly pulled off trades and moves where they come out ahead, less teams are eager to deal with the Spurs. So I think it will really be tough for the Spurs to move Rasho and get somebody solid in return. Chances are the Spurs will enter the season with him backing up Nazr (he'll probably get more minutes to display his talent) while Oberto transitions to the NBA. Then they'll likely try to trade Rasho before the trading deadline barring any injury to our bigs. Anyway, I think a Rasho trade is a red herring. I think our key to repeating next year is:

Hiring Chip should help with 1 & 3, # 2 will be addressed with our remaining $.

Nice post, why didn't you come here earlier. I have to agree on all 3 counts.

duncan_21
07-24-2005, 01:40 AM
What I don't get is if we aren't going to resign nazr why don't we trade him since he is more likely to get us something good. I guess they want to dump rasho and benfit from nazr till it is time to say goodbye

oberto then rasho backing him up would be a great we used to worry about having a good center and now we are loaded and it seems spurs want to unload down to
oberto and then some scrub center

now there might be some under the table deal to resign nazr and then oberto and nazr backing him up is great

Here's what I think, the spurs know the free agent they want to back up for the 3 but aren't tipping their hand. Probably somebody not well known. Having horry, nazr, rasho, oberto is not a bad thing, especially if they already got the 3 figured out.

Why not keep nazr as insurance in case oberto sucks or if he's good for trade bait in case of future injury or to allow oberto to break in for a year.

Taking it to the Hole
07-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Because Scola's rights are not enough for most teams. They are going to want something more in addition to Scola. I know alot of people are counting out Rasho, and I wouldn't mind seeing a trade for a quality 3, but what if we are all wrong, and the real plan was to keep Rasho and Scola's right's all along? For all we know, Rasho, could be so pissed off that we wanted to trade him and come out with a monster year this upcoming season. You just never know what is going to happen sometimes until it has happened.