PDA

View Full Version : Diaw...

benefactor
10-09-2013, 08:44 PM
det guy...:wow

look_at_g_shred
10-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I just hope fatigue doesn't kick in mid-way through the season, and this "new" diaw becomes but a distant memory when P/O's come around. Fingers crossed.

exstatic
10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Diaw has always been a top 20 player in terms of talent and IQ. He just never burned for the game. It's fun for him, but he's never maximized his talent. When he isn't being challenged, he tends to drift. If Tony and Pop can keep him on point, he could have a monster season off the bench.

spurraider21
10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Diaw has always been a top 20 player in terms of talent and IQ. He just never burned for the game. It's fun for him, but he's never maximized his talent. When he isn't being challenged, he tends to drift. If Tony and Pop can keep him on point, he could have a monster season off the bench.
no. this implies he's good enough to be the #1 on at least 10 teams

ace3g
10-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Paul Garcia PS @PaulGarciaPS
(http://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS)Coach Pop on Boris Diaw's improvement early on: "He's more aggressive offensively, that's what we want." #Spurs (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs).

Paul Garcia PS @PaulGarciaPS
(http://twitter.com/PaulGarciaPS)Coach Pop said it was good that Diaw played in the summer with France where he showed more aggression on offense. #Spurs (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs)

exstatic
10-09-2013, 10:43 PM

No, it just implies that he has the TALENT to be such. Other than the year of no Amare in PHO, BoDi has never shown but maybe 75-80% of what he can be.

Chinook
10-09-2013, 10:48 PM

MIP Diaw (which is about as close to Fully Actualized Diaw as we've seen) was a borderline star. He averaged 19/5/7 in the playoffs that year as the team's first option.

spurraider21
10-09-2013, 10:51 PM
MIP Diaw (which is about as close to Fully Actualized Diaw as we've seen) was a borderline star. He averaged 19/5/7 in the playoffs that year as the team's first option.
ahead of Nash?

Chinook
10-09-2013, 10:55 PM
ahead of Nash?

For parts of the year, for sure.

spurraider21
10-09-2013, 10:58 PM
For parts of the year, for sure.
his numbers were phenomenal in the dallas series (i believe thats in the season you were referring to) but top 20 in the league is a stretch to me.

exstatic
10-09-2013, 11:50 PM
his numbers were phenomenal in the dallas series (i believe thats in the season you were referring to) but top 20 in the league is a stretch to me.

DUDE. We're not talking that he's a top 20 player. We're saying he's a top 20 TALENT. VC had the TALENT to be the best ever. McGrady, too. They weren't. They lacked the "competitive" gene that other players like MJ, Kobe, TD, and Magic had that MADE them the best of all time.

RECOGNIZE THE DIFFERENCE.

RD2191
10-09-2013, 11:53 PM
DUDE. We're not talking that he's a top 20 player. We're saying he's a top 20 TALENT. VC had the TALENT to be the best ever. McGrady, too. They weren't. They lacked the "competitive" gene that other players like MJ, Kobe, TD, and Magic had that MADE them the best of all time.

Sort of like Bynum and D Cousins, they have the talent to be GREAT but they're both headcases and not really passionate about the game.

spurraider21
10-10-2013, 12:02 AM

yeah bro james white was a top 5 talent

exstatic
10-10-2013, 12:03 AM

James White wasn't even a top 5 talent on any team he was on after college. Stop being stupid...if you can.

exstatic
10-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Sort of like Bynum and D Cousins, they have the talent to be GREAT but they're both headcases and not really passionate about the game.

Give the man a cigar.

Too many people, like spurraider, don't see the difference. In the media, they confuse talent with greatness on a daily basis.

will_spurs
10-10-2013, 02:35 AM
He just never burned for the game.

I think the combination of the tough loss in the Finals and the win with France has made him a new player. He's acknowledged this in interviews. Hopefully it's not a short-term change.

Raven
10-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Diaw has the biggest arsenal of any big man in the game duncan included. He'll never be able to use it properly but he does have it.

timtonymanu
10-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Loved what I saw from Diaw.

I couldn't become a complete fan of his because of how passive he was on offense. This new aggressive Diaw was refreshing to see. Hopefully he can stay this way the whole season.

mountainballer
10-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Diaw has the biggest arsenal of any big man in the game duncan included. He'll never be able to use it properly but he does have it.

uh. now we enter the exaggeration area. and if we go that way... Dirk, Pau and - yes - Lamar say no.

Hoops Czar
10-10-2013, 03:18 AM

You're not saying he's a top 20 player, but if he applies himself, he could be. NOT A CHANCE!!! He's a good lookin role player that plays well within the system, but he's no top 20 talent.

Not sure why you're throwing Mcgrady under the bus. From 2001-05, he averaged over 25 points a game followed by two years of a smidgen over 24 ppg. In 2003, he averaged 32.1 ppg and 28.0 ppg in 2004. I believe he led the league in scoring both years. It sounds like he had that "competitive" gene you're raving about. Vince carter never led the league in scoring outright, but had 11 seasons of 20.0 ppg+, topping out at 27.6 in 2001. They had the competitive gene, they just didn't have the all around game that would have put them in the top 1% of the league.

Raven
10-10-2013, 03:23 AM
uh. now we enter the exaggeration area. and if we go that way... Dirk, Pau and - yes - Lamar say no.

not really, pau doesn't have the 3pt and diaw is by far the best passer .. that doesn't mean that he can score at will or whatever, just that his offensive game has no real flaw. He is however Boris Diaw.

exstatic
10-10-2013, 07:02 AM
You're not saying he's a top 20 player, but if he applies himself, he could be. NOT A CHANCE!!! He's a good lookin role player that plays well within the system, but he's no top 20 talent.

Not sure why you're throwing Mcgrady under the bus. From 2001-05, he averaged over 25 points a game followed by two years of a smidgen over 24 ppg. In 2003, he averaged 32.1 ppg and 28.0 ppg in 2004. I believe he led the league in scoring both years. It sounds like he had that "competitive" gene you're raving about. Vince carter never led the league in scoring outright, but had 11 seasons of 20.0 ppg+, topping out at 27.6 in 2001. They had the competitive gene, they just didn't have the all around game that would have put them in the top 1% of the league.
?? I never said that TMac and VC didn't put up numbers. I said they had the talent to be the GREATEST EVER, but they weren't. You yourself said they didn't have the all around game. Guess what? Neither did Kobe or MJ when they came into the league. Neither could shoot well. They worked and worked at it. They worked on a pinch post game. They worked on a rocker step. TD - When Brent Barry came on his FA visit, TD was at the practice center doing defensive slides. He had two championships and two MVPs under his belt already, but he spent his summers at the practice center. Some guys BURN for the game, some guys don't.

exstatic
10-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Lamar is the only one that can say 'no', and he's also an under achiever. Dirk doesn't have the handles or court vision. Pau lacks the handles and long range shooting.

Darkwaters
10-10-2013, 07:26 AM

James White!

mountainballer
10-10-2013, 07:45 AM

no. James White was a top 5 kangaroo.
(but I'm not sure if he even was a top 5 basketball talent among kangaroos)

Southwest Texas Fan
10-11-2013, 06:55 PM
?? I never said that TMac and VC didn't put up numbers. I said they had the talent to be the GREATEST EVER, but they weren't. You yourself said they didn't have the all around game. Guess what? Neither did Kobe or MJ when they came into the league. Neither could shoot well. They worked and worked at it. They worked on a pinch post game. They worked on a rocker step. TD - When Brent Barry came on his FA visit, TD was at the practice center doing defensive slides. He had two championships and two MVPs under his belt already, but he spent his summers at the practice center. Some guys BURN for the game, some guys don't.

I certainly hope Kawhi's hard work pays off just as it did for Jordan and Kobe.