PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts After First Spurs Preseason Game of 2013-14

timvp
10-09-2013, 11:59 PM
-I think Tim Duncan looked really good. He appears to be in great shape again. His flexibility and fluidity were there and he moved well out on the perimeter. Considering there was a chance he could suddenly look old over the summer given his age, it was reassuring to see him look so spry.

-Tony Parker looked relatively sharp. He is someone who usually works his way into shape throughout the preseason but he looks to be in decent to good physical condition.

-This was a reminder of why I can't help but love Manu Ginobili. It's the first preseason game, he's up there in age, he has likely signed his last contract ... and yet he's competing at 100% capacity. It's been a joy to watch his NBA career to date and I'm glad the ride isn't over. Speaking of this game specifically, he looked ready for the regular season. His O was crisp and his D was pretty damn good, too.

-It appears Kawhi Leonard has been working on quickening the release on his jumper because it was noticeably faster tonight. He's still a work in progress in terms of handling the ball in traffic and making plays in a crowd -- but I liked what I saw. His confidence is sky high, which is important. Just as important is the fact that the Spurs offense was tweaked to get him more involved. Additionally, it was great to see him get a few touches in the post.

-No surprises with Tiago Splitter. Looks like he's in good shape and did what he usually does. It'll be great to have him as the full-time starter for a complete season (hopefully, of course).

-No surprises with Danny Green either. Outside stroke looked smooth. Defense was there. When he put it on the floor, it was an adventure. In other words, par for the course.

-Boris Diaw didn't become a land whale over the offseason, which in itself is a positive. He looked extremely comfortable and seems to have found his niche on both ends of the court. It's lining up to be a relatively quiet yet effective season for the Frenchman.

-Maco Belinelli exhibited some promise but there's a lot of work to do. His defense was poor -- to the point that Pop ripped him a few times. If Pop is mad at you in preseason for bad defense, there's something wrong. His above average court vision was apparent but he was also a bit too sloppy. I think he should be okay but he's far from where he needs to be.

-Cory Joseph got the backup point guard minutes in the first half -- and underwhelmed. I didn't see anything that helped his cause at all. Defensively, he didn't have the necessary vigor. On offense, he didn't make plays or do anything else positive. With so many potential backup PGs, he needs to do a lot better in subsequent preseason games to win the gig.

-I've always hated Sam Young's game. I was disappointed when the Spurs invited him to camp. It turns out I was wrong. He's actually much worse than even I thought he was. His defense is decent but he's a trainwreck on offense. Low basketball IQ. No talent. No outside shot. Fading athleticism. Sure, he has a great pump fake but the rest of his game is so broken that I pray he doesn't make the team.

-Aron Baynes was adequate but he could have been a lot better. It's frustrating that he doesn't use his powerful body more to his advantage. It's like he went to the Tiago Splitter school of finishing around the basket -- even though he has all the tools to be a much more devastating finisher. He's strong, athletic, can jump yet he hasn't learned how to put it all together yet -- and that goes for rebounding and defense as well. He's still an intriguing prospect but to earn a spot in the rotation, he needs to play to his strengths ... literally.

-Teddy Pendergrass Bill Ayers Ayres looked solid. Strong on the boards, ran the court well, illustrated capable perimeter skills, relatively quick rotations on D and seemed to know what he was doing. He doesn't have a whole lot of upside but he is solid bigman depth who might turn into a capable fourth big.

-It's preseason so I was surprised that Matt Bonner missed a couple open shots.

-Patty Mills looks great physically. Looking back on it, he must have been carrying around 15-20 pounds of fat last season. He's slim and stronger now, which makes him even faster. Unfortunately, getting in better shape didn't make him any more of a point guard. It's still painfully obvious that he's a shooting guard in a point guard's body. The fourth quarter collapse was mostly due to his inability to run the point. He just can't do it.

-Nando de Colo as the opposite problem of Mills: Being a point guard in a shooting guard's body. Playing off the ball, he just doesn't have enough ruthlessness in him to do anything of note. He blends into the background unless he has the ball in his hands. Take the ball away and he's completely neutered.

-Pop went with a strict 9-man rotation for much of the first half, which is surprising because he usually doesn't break out a real rotation until the final one or two games of the exhibition season. I liked the rotation and hope it's the one we see to start the season. (TP, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Splitter, Joseph, Belinelli, Ginobili, Diaw were the nine men, btw.)

-Getting Leonard more involved seems to be the focus of the few offensive tweaks I noticed. That is something that had to be done and it's good to see it from the very start of the season.

-Using Ginobili basically as the backup small forward is smart. These days, his strength is superior to his speed, so I'd rather him play at SF than SG if given a choice. Also, these Spurs have a ton of options for backup shooting guard and nothing of note at backup SF ... so it helps the roster fit together better.

-Pop's overall intensity was pretty damn high considering it was the first preseason game. I like the idea of pushing this team to have a strong regular season. Coasting until the playoffs would be the wrong way to react to last season's heartbreak, IMO.

-I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this team. Tim, Manu, Parker and Pop back at it. Kawhi looking to blossom. Very good role players in Splitter and Green. Exciting bench players. Damn, this'll be a fun season.

Robz4000
10-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Good write-up. I completely agree about Sam Young, hope he's cut ASAP. Beli underwhelmed for me but he's definitely got promise. I disagree about Ayers though; I thought he was pretty good and think he has a very solid chance to crack the rotation (hopefully at least him or Baynes can get that 4th spot).

silverblackfan
10-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Yay! The season started, sort of. Thanks for the write up. Wish I had seen the game.

RD2191
10-10-2013, 12:14 AM
:tu

spurs10
10-10-2013, 12:16 AM
This was a welcome sight! Thanks for the "Thoughts!" :toast

ElNono
10-10-2013, 01:02 AM
-Using Ginobili basically as the backup small forward is smart. These days, his strength is superior to his speed, so I'd rather him play at SF than SG if given a choice. Also, these Spurs have a ton of options for backup shooting guard and nothing of note at backup SF ... so it helps the roster fit together better.

If we go by the first half rotation, Manu played SG (even when Belli/Joseph walked in) and Kawhi and Belli SF (which I didn't think he felt too comfortable). I don't really expect to see much of that Mills-De Colo-Gino 2nd half lineup when playing for the marbles.

Boomersgold
10-10-2013, 01:03 AM
-Patty Mills looks great physically. Looking back on it, he must have been carrying around 15-20 pounds of fat last season. He's slim and stronger now, which makes him even faster. Unfortunately, getting in better shape didn't make him any more of a point guard. It's still painfully obvious that he's a shooting guard in a point guard's body. The fourth quarter collapse was mostly due to his inability to run the point. He just can't do it.

I completely agree that Patty's a shooting guard in a point guard's body, but I think the 4th quarter collapse had more to do with the fact that Pop played 3rd and 4th stringers, and guys who don't even have guaranteed contracts for most of the fourth and all of overtime. Patty playing with Manu and Green, guys who would actually be in the rotation in the regular season, in the third was what got us that lead (watch the game again, if you disagree with me) in the first place.

Darius McCrary
10-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks Timvp

Chinook
10-10-2013, 01:11 AM
Green seemed rusty to me. He was kind of all over the place on defense. I liked that Pop out him in with the bench on the second half. I want to see if he's expanded his game at all. Ayers looked solid. I think he can be am immediate contributor with room to grow into a good PnR/PnP guy. I was meh on Belinelli. Looks like a better Neal.

xellos88330
10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Glad to see you back Timvp!

HI-FI
10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
-Teddy Pendergrass Bill Ayers Ayres looked solid. Strong on the boards, ran the court well, illustrated capable perimeter skills, relatively quick rotations on D and seemed to know what he was doing. He doesn't have a whole lot of upside but he is solid bigman depth who might turn into a capable fourth big.

:lol
I had mentioned on here about his name change that you just lost a good joke.

good to see the random thoughts again.

heyheymymy
10-10-2013, 01:39 AM
gonna be another great season ahead of us with timvp and his solid, spot-on analysis. thanks for the write-up.

ajballer4
10-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Did Maggette play at all? If so, how did he do?

hooperflash
10-10-2013, 01:43 AM
First and Last name basis I see... hmmmm.

Thanks as always for your thoughts LJ.

Russo21
10-10-2013, 01:55 AM
16 points & 15 rebounds between ayres and baynes aint to shabby

Holden_Caulfield
10-10-2013, 02:20 AM
man i wanted to see maggette and/or kabongo. young and nando was turrible :lol

MAx_Eric
10-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Hope Maggette can play in the next game, instead of Sam Young, he looks awful in offense...got blocked and missed wide open-3
Decolo-->No improvement at all
Tiago Weaker-->As weak as before, should use his money to sign another player......

Hoops Czar
10-10-2013, 02:26 AM
I was meh on Belinelli. Looks like a better Neal.

Not defensively!!!

mountainballer
10-10-2013, 02:27 AM
I liked the rotation and hope it's the one we see to start the season. (TP, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Splitter, Joseph, Belinelli, Ginobili, Diaw were the nine men, btw.)

if CJ doesn't improve significantely over the pre-season, this rotation has a glaring week spot. (and I would like a 10-man rotation including Ayres. assuming Tim's minutes will be limited, it will be necessary to have a 4th big man in the regular rotation anyway)

Fireball
10-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Sam Young was comically bad ... it was total slapstick on offense ... cut him immediately

Hoops Czar
10-10-2013, 02:36 AM
if CJ doesn't improve significantely over the pre-season, this rotation has a glaring week spot. (and I would like a 10-man rotation including Ayres. assuming Tim's minutes will be limited, it will be necessary to have a 4th big man in the regular rotation anyway)

I don't make a big deal about 1 game against a non-NBA team when Pop was using a revolving door rotation to get as many players involved as possible. But, 1 missed shot and no assists in 11 minutes is pretty damning.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2013, 02:56 AM
I don't make a big deal about 1 game against a non-NBA team when Pop was using a revolving door rotation to get as many players involved as possible. But, 1 missed shot and no assists in 11 minutes is pretty damning.
You just made a big deal of it.

timtonymanu
10-10-2013, 03:07 AM
I've been on the Ayres bandwagon since he started out in Portland. I told people on here that he would be a surprise player. This was a good start.

Seventyniner
10-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Does Sam Young remind you more of:

A) a poor man's Ime Udoka
B) a homeless man's Tony Allen

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Young was HORRIBLE.

racm
10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Young was the reason Moscow went on a 17-0 run in the fourth IMO. Sure, part of it was Mills showing that he's not a floor general (though he backs up Tony "top 2 PG" Parker) and the fact that De Colo isn't really good at forcing defenses to scramble, but the fact that he's useless as a spot-up shooter or as an off-the-dribble slasher means that his calling card would be his defense... which also sucks.

I'd put more stock in Maggette than Young.

Captivus
10-10-2013, 07:59 AM

If we go by the first half rotation, Manu played SG (even when Belli/Joseph walked in) and Kawhi and Belli SF (which I didn't think he felt too comfortable). I don't really expect to see much of that Mills-De Colo-Gino 2nd half lineup when playing for the marbles.

Good points.

How many minutes will Kiwi actually play? That’s the key to see how many minutes the backup SF is needed.
I mean, if a team has a great young player, he should/has to play heavy minutes, otherwise he is not that good. Being in great physical shape and not injured also matters for great player.

racm
10-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Good points.

How many minutes will Kiwi actually play? That’s the key to see how many minutes the backup SF is needed.
I mean, if a team has a great young player, he should/has to play heavy minutes, otherwise he is not that good. Being in great physical shape and not injured also matters for great player.

30-34 mpg in the RS and 34-38 mpg in the playoffs, if his knee plays nice.

bigfan
10-10-2013, 08:13 AM
All is right with the world, sitting here with my cup o coffee reading a TIMVP assessment at the very start of a Spurs campaign.

bklynspursfan
10-10-2013, 08:15 AM
It looked like Patty has been studying TP in terms of how he finishes around the basket. The way he used his body and finished around other guys was very TP'esque.

will_spurs
10-10-2013, 08:21 AM
All is right with the world, sitting here with my cup o coffee reading a TIMVP assessment at the very start of a Spurs campaign.

QFT.

Captivus
10-10-2013, 08:32 AM
30-34 mpg in the RS and 34-38 mpg in the playoffs, if his knee plays nice.

If thats the case, anyone can play backup SF, wont have a big effect unless is a total disaster.
On the other hand, last season 31 players averaged more than 35 minutes in RS.
Can he pay that many minutes?

gee
10-10-2013, 08:34 AM
It looked like Patty has been studying TP in terms of how he finishes around the basket. The way he used his body and finished around other guys was very TP'esque.Yeah I noticed that too, especially the way he used his body on that fast break layup, it looked identical to Parker.

TheGreatYacht
10-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Manu made his free throws and hit some threes. Of course this is only the preseason so let's not get too excited here. Will Ginobili have enough legs come playoff time? We should all pay attention to his FG, FT, and 3pt FG percentages through out the year.

Also, keep an eye on Tim Duncan's defense, especially his shot blocking. If Timmy can still protect the rim like last year, then this Spurs team can be just as good as last year defensively.

xmas1997
10-10-2013, 09:01 AM
If Cojo doesn't start showing some improvement they should trade him away and start developing Kabongo.
Wasn't Kabongo projected to be a sure fire lottery pick?
I've never been high on Young.
Maggette may be on his last legs so is it worth giving him the backup SF spot versus keeping that 15th roster open for a later pickup?

DPG21920
10-10-2013, 09:02 AM
:lol ruining any cap flexibility for a player who's apparent upside is a possible 4th big.

Dex
10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I was on the Sam Young bandwagon...but that game seriously is making me think twice. He looked pretty damn bad out there, like he had no idea where to be on offense.

HarlemHeat37
10-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't know why so many Spurs fans have liked Sam Young over the years, tbh:lol..if he was drafted by the Spurs in the same year they drafted Blair, he would have been cut, tbh..he's a less athletic Malik Hairston, tbh..

Maggette sucks as well, at this point of his career, but I'd take him over Young without hesitating, tbh..he's a seasoned veteran with a good build and NBA refs are aware of his reputation, which always helps..

I like Pendergraph, as I said when the Spurs signed him(although I wouldn't have wasted the cap space on him:lol), he seems like a tough-minded player with balls, tbh..

Belineli and Neal are essentially the same player in every facet of the game, with Beli being an upgrade in passing..Spurs fans that have put a lot of stock in him are going to be greatly disappointed, tbh..

kobyz
10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
It might be better to start Pendergraph over Tiago "waste of money" Splitter, tiago will fit better with the second unite...

look_at_g_shred
10-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Manu made his free throws and hit some threes. Of course this is only the preseason so let's not get too excited here. Will Ginobili have enough legs come playoff time? We should all pay attention to his FG, FT, and 3pt FG percentages through out the year.

Also, keep an eye on Tim Duncan's defense, especially his shot blocking. If Timmy can still protect the rim like last year, then this Spurs team can be just as good as last year defensively.Had a couple of blocks underneath the rim last night. Tim looking like Tim.

racm
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
It might be better to start Pendergraph over Tiago "waste of money" Splitter, tiago will fit better with the second unite...

Splitter's ability to defend perimeter bigs and allow Duncan to hang near the basket on D is why he starts.

Rebounds
10-10-2013, 10:24 AM
It looked like Patty has been studying TP in terms of how he finishes around the basket. The way he used his body and finished around other guys was very TP'esque.
Big YES, you wondered if it was a fluke, the first time he did that successfully but then the second tough layup he made in similiar fashion made you realize Mills has chosen wisely who and what to emulate.

Boomersgold
10-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Was pleasantly surprised by Pendergraph's play. He hustled on the boards and looked comfortable in the Spurs' offense.

xmas1997
10-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Why do you say Tiago is a waste of money?
All stats and intangibles compared to players making as much or more than him show he is a bargain.
Is this another of your crybaby posts?

bklynspursfan
10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Big YES, you wondered if it was a fluke, the first time he did that successfully but then the second tough layup he made in similiar fashion made you realize Mills has chosen wisely who and what to emulate.

Definitely... Seems quicker too which is great as well. I like the energy he brings off the bench

rjv
10-10-2013, 11:06 AM
-I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this team. Tim, Manu, Parker and Pop back at it. Kawhi looking to blossom. Very good role players in Splitter and Green. Exciting bench players. Damn, this'll be a fun season. indeed

Spur|n|Austin
10-10-2013, 12:14 PM
So no burn for Maggette?

Dex
10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
So no burn for Maggette?

Zilch.

Pop had very weird rotations for a preseason game.

The main rotation played the first half, with CoJo playing the backup PG role.

The starters played a bit in the third, then Pop went to the second rotation (the international Cojo/Ginobili/Belineli/Diaw/Baynes rotation was neat), and eventually switched to Mills at the backup 1.

Then the fourth quarter and overtime it was primarily Mills/De Colo/Young/Ayres/Baynes.

Very strange to
a) see the starters play that much
b) see the same set on the floor for such an extended period at the end of the game
c) not see more of the end of the bench players, which apparently includes Maggette at this point

Shifty
10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Last preseason, Pop preferred to use players that were less likely to make the team. I guess that it was to see them one last time or give them a chance to be seen by other teams. I'm thinking that is what's he doing with Young and Maggette. Pop knows what he has with Maggette or at least more than with Young and he is taking a longer look at him.

Spursfanfromafar
10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Sam Yuck.. The backup SF spot had no obvious candidates, so I thought, he would offer some kind of a defensive fit.. Turns out he is a big liability.

The question is, if De Colo is a PG in a SG's body and Mills a SG in PG's body.. can they play together as PG, SG respectively in say late third quarter, early fourth quarter minutes?

stéphane
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks Timvp.
Feels good to read you after the mourning summer.

SenorSpur
10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
I've been on the Ayres bandwagon since he started out in Portland. I told people on here that he would be a surprise player. This was a good start.

Same here. I predict that he will be the surprise of the Spurs summer FA signings - even more so than Belinelli.

Biernutz
10-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I saw Vinny Del Negro at the game last night. He was talking to David Robinson in
the tunnel on the spurs side of the court. Anyone know what he was doing in SAT.

Baam
10-10-2013, 03:43 PM
:lol ruining any cap flexibility for a player who's apparent upside is a possible 4th big.

Would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Beli is not better than Neal either.

Still an issue at backup PG...

monkeypunk
10-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Beli is not better than Neal either.

:rolleyes

Rebounds
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Definitely... Seems quicker too which is great as well. I like the energy he brings off the bench

:tu

PlayNando
10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Cojo was terrible. Nando = The Answer.

PlayNando
10-10-2013, 11:00 PM

Also, keep an eye on Tim Duncan's defense, especially his shot blocking. If Timmy can still protect the rim like last year, then this Spurs team can be just as good as last year defensively.
TGY with another pathetic hateful vengeful post.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-11-2013, 12:57 AM
If only we could fuse Mills and DeColo into one player we'd have Tony Parker Mk II to be TP's backup! :lol

Thanks for the notes. :tu

marbles1991
10-11-2013, 01:55 AM
I was really happy to see pop call a couple of post-ups for Kawhi, I think that is where his touches should come from. He isn't the dynamic decision-maker in the pick and roll so this is what we will rely on I think. His length and strength should make him really hard to deal with for other small forwards. It seems like Pop has drawn up some pretty cool sets to get him position as well. I saw a set that I loved where he gets a downscreen from Duncan in the high post while a parker/splitter pick and roll is going on on the other elbow to distract the defense while Kawhi gets really deep position almost under the basket.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-11-2013, 03:03 AM
I was really happy to see pop call a couple of post-ups for Kawhi, I think that is where his touches should come from. He isn't the dynamic decision-maker in the pick and roll so this is what we will rely on I think. His length and strength should make him really hard to deal with for other small forwards. It seems like Pop has drawn up some pretty cool sets to get him position as well. I saw a set that I loved where he gets a downscreen from Duncan in the high post while a parker/splitter pick and roll is going on on the other elbow to distract the defense while Kawhi gets really deep position almost under the basket.

Nice call. :tu

Agreed - atm Kawhi is best in the low post, cutting the baseline, and occasionally flashing out to the high post for curls and rhythm pullups. Just wait though, he's got a fair bit of development left in him methinks. :D

xmas1997
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
If Nando doesn't start showing something real soon his days as a Spur will be numbered.
I was really high on him coming here last year but he sure has disappointed.