PDA

View Full Version : When did living with your old folks become Negatively viewed In North America?

apalisoc_9
10-10-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm currently in university right now trying to finish up a degree. A few years back, i decided to work instead and save money for school and maybe just maybe I'd move up without a degree. I had a mini business that i ran a couple years back but I was too young and Inexperienced for it to work. I lived alone for three years. Now I'm back in university and taking courses with blokes a couple to a few years younger than me. I wasn't raised with North American culture despite living in one.

I don't get how helping your old folks pay the bills, the mortages is a bad thing. I don't get how moving back for university to save up money is a bad thing. It sure beats moving out in your late teens or early twenties but still relying on mom and dad for the most part. There's absoutely no way, majority of these kids in North American pay 100% for their own stuff if they're studying full time. Unless you earn 60k a year working for 20 hours a week, that's just not feasible.

Many people argue that the reason why there so much difference in culture with this is because of Economic difference. I don't know if that's true though. Many Middle eastern countires are living above means and so does other european countries.

I'd love to buy my old folks a house nearby mine when I'm ready to start my own familiy. I love their happy face whenever they see my niece. I'm assuming though In north American this would be seen as still relying on old folks?

cantthinkofanything
10-10-2013, 12:21 PM
When you don't contribute shit and are constantly disrespectful and do nothing but bitch and moan because you want money but aren't willing to start at the bottom and bust your sorry ass.

apalisoc_9
10-10-2013, 12:27 PM
When you don't contribute shit and are constantly disrespectful and do nothing but bitch and moan because you want money but aren't willing to start at the bottom and bust your sorry ass.

Not sure where the idea of guy/gal living with old folks become freeloading. Many people I know from Europe and Asians do it to help their old folks finish their mortage payment. Not that they can't afford it.

xmas1997
10-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Answer: it never did, that is purely an assumption.

apalisoc_9
10-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Answer: it never did, that is purely an assumption.

Really?

Surly jokes and the media is indicative of north american culture. I know there's a lot of smart people out there that would think otherwise though...

FkLA
10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Because its the norm tbh, mostly in the US. For the most part there is no family value here, same reason divorce rates are so high and why they put their parents in nursing homes. Its like an expectation for you to move out at 18...I knew someone who got kicked out of his parents house simply because he was 18 and an 'adult' now. Theres also dumbass people that think its uncool to live at home--you cant party, bring chicks home, etc at your parents.

I live with my girl now, but Id still be living at home otherwise. Nothing wrong with it.

m>s
10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I did it through college to get out with as minimal debt as possible. Paid for all my own stuff or took out loans, only asked them for a roof over my head and never caused problems so it was never really an issue. Just don't worry about what others think brah just be sure not to put them out or be a freeloader while you're there.

apalisoc_9
10-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I did it through college to get out with as minimal debt as possible. Paid for all my own stuff or took out loans, only asked them for a roof over my head and never caused problems so it was never really an issue. Just don't worry about what others think brah just be sure not to put them out or be a freeloader while you're there.

Nah man, my money goes straight through university and I pay off the house Cable/Internet in return for a roof. I've finished three semesters so far and I've managed to pay it off all with my money. I'll probably be applying for loans later once courses start to become more difficult and more time demanding.

Spur|n|Austin
10-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Are you married with children? If not, it has def cramped your style with the ladies, no?

xmas1997
10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Yes, it's an expectation to move out around 18 or so, give or take a few years.
But it is also an expectation to take care of our elders after they get to the point of not being able to take care of themselves, unless they are of substantial financial means as to be able to have alternatives such as hiring live in help, or old folks homes with in house nursing etc.
It all depends on their desire for their own independence and their ability to maintain it.
Many prefer to not live with their children. Others do. Some children cannot afford to have their parents move in with them and some have too many kids still living with them to have room for their parents too.
Each situation is different.

apalisoc_9
10-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Are you married with children? If not, it has def cramped your style with the ladies, no?

Lol yeah. Gotta admit, if there was thing I miss living alone is being able to bring back ladies. I'm in my early twenties, so no wifey or kids.

Gotta concentrate on university though and saving money for my future. bitches will come.

AntiChrist
10-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Adult children living with their parents will be the norm pretty soon.

Thanks Obama.

Rogue
10-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm 25 and still living with my parents and I don't see no reason to make any change to it, since I'm a lifelong celibate. And I agree with AntiChrist that living with parents will become the norm, that's already the norm in many counties and towns where house prices are too high for young adults to live by themselves, which means there'll be more and more young guys, and possibly even girls joining our brotherhood of celibates

DJR210
10-10-2013, 11:30 PM
I think after like 25 if you aren't dying to get out there's a bigger problem than school. I got a 31 year old dipshit of a friend who tries to use the excuse of "taking care of my Mom" to justify he's 31 years old and can't cook for himself or even work a washer. Lazy fuck will be unable to survive when she dies.

Rogue
10-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Living with your parents doesn't mean being unable to take care of yourself imho, maybe that's the case for your dipshit friend but I know many people who live in their parents home up to their 30s just to save $ for education or business investment. I'm a celibate so I honestly don't see no reason why I should rent an apartment and live there by myself, and I'm also an ardent Leykisian who believes that youngsters should live frugal lives in their 20s while keeping pursuing their dreams, just as how our mentor Leykis lectured us. Thrift is a great revenue and you'll be surprised to find how much money it saves you in the long run, and how much your career will benefit from it. Bitches are dream killers and a smart dude like me will never allow any of them to fuck up my life like how they fucked up yours, tbh.

FkLA
10-10-2013, 11:53 PM
^Not even Scarlett ?

Rogue
10-11-2013, 12:01 AM
^Not even Scarlett ?
fortunately she'll never get into my life and fuck it up because she's so far away from me, no matter whether it means geographical distance or social gap. It's like, there's always a safe distance between Scarlett and me, so I can let my affection grow freely without no concern of actually falling love with her in the real life. Lucy was a mirage of my goddess, a girl that I fell in love with in the real life in my story but Lucy is just imaginary... There's no such a girl like Lucy in the real world, imho.

AaronY
10-11-2013, 05:57 AM

The Reckoning
10-11-2013, 07:12 AM
lol try bringing a chick home

Rogue
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Yes, it's an expectation to move out around 18 or so, give or take a few years.
But it is also an expectation to take care of our elders after they get to the point of not being able to take care of themselves, unless they are of substantial financial means as to be able to have alternatives such as hiring live in help, or old folks homes with in house nursing etc.
It all depends on their desire for their own independence and their ability to maintain it.
Many prefer to not live with their children. Others do. Some children cannot afford to have their parents move in with them and some have too many kids still living with them to have room for their parents too.
Each situation is different.
I remember the last days of my maternal grandparents. They didn't have any serious diseases but were just senile as fuck and couldn't take care of themselves so their children (there wasn't no such shit like on-child policy back in their generation, imho) had to stay at their home taking care of their life alternately. Every Saturday was my mom's turn and she didn't want to leave me at home with my dad who had always been an avid smoker and drinker when I was still rather young (had just graduated from primary school), so I always had to go with my mom to my grandparents' home every weekend, reluctantly.

I used to have a lot of fun playing with my cousins in grandparents' home when I was a little child and I really enjoyed that time, and I knew that time would never come back again... But I was loath to go there anymore to see my grandparents who were already senile as fuck, stinking like rotten fish, and were badly treated by their children including my mom. They cooked them food and offered them drink, helping them piss and shit, but nothing else... they didn't even want to talk with their parents, and they didn't even bother to listen to them talking or whining about the physical pain and the fear of the imminent death. They were still living but living with basically no dignity, and it broke Rogue's heart to see the dread of death and loneliness in their old dull eyes. :cry

How they managed to treat their parents like that was beyond me, and I know that's not uncommon in the US nor anywhere of the world.

Spur|n|Austin
10-11-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm 25 and still living with my parents and I don't see no reason to make any change to it, since I'm a lifelong celibate. And I agree with AntiChrist that living with parents will become the norm, that's already the norm in many counties and towns where house prices are too high for young adults to live by themselves, which means there'll be more and more young guys, and possibly even girls joining our brotherhood of celibates

You are a weirdo, sorry.

Spur|n|Austin
10-11-2013, 08:34 AM

Rogue
10-11-2013, 08:49 AM
There're better ways of demonstrating your adulthood than wasting unnecessary money renting a flat and living by yourself imho.

AaronY
10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Correct answer is definitely 1492. I double checked on this