PDA

View Full Version : Spurs waive Sam Young

tony77
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/131010_spurs_waive_sam_young

Darius Bieber
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
No surprise after last night to be honest.

Boomersgold
10-10-2013, 01:46 PM
And it's official. Not surprised after his abysmal performance against Moscow.

Spur|n|Austin
10-10-2013, 01:48 PM
:lol well there we go

RD2191
10-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Played like garbage last night, almost felt bad for the guy.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-10-2013, 01:54 PM
4 rebounds 1 steal in 18 minutes

The Reckoning
10-10-2013, 01:56 PM
rofl that dude is relegated to playing pickup at the Y and that's it

Bruno
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
He was so bad against CSKA that it isn't really a surprise. Waiving him that fast also allow Spurs to try another player during the training camp.

Robz4000
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
And nothing of value was lost...

SenorSpur
10-10-2013, 02:02 PM
This dude really must've been horrible. WTF happened to him?

Though, after reading the game summary, it's not surprising. I guess what was surprising is that Young was so damn bad.

TimDunkem
10-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I wonder how he feels. He clearly did everything in his power to have the Spurs waive him last night. :lol

TimDunkem
10-10-2013, 02:06 PM
This dude really must've been horrible. WTF happened to him?

Though, after reading the game summary, it's not surprising. I guess what was surprising is that Young was so damn bad.

It's strange how the only player - other than Maggette - invited to training camp who has played meaningful NBA minutes could be so bad that the Spurs waived him after the first preseason game despite having an opening at his position. What happened to this guy?

sexinthatsx
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
It's strange how the only player - other than Maggette - invited to training camp who has played meaningful NBA minutes could be so bad that the Spurs waived him after the first preseason game despite having an opening at his position. What happened to this guy?

Nenad Kristic made a poster out of Sam young with a demasculating block. That's what happened.

koriwhat
10-10-2013, 02:50 PM
i was there last night, row 12, and holy shit was sam old really really bad! dude made me cheer on bonner when he entered the game which i never do.

mosdef17
10-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I never liked the training camp invite to begin with. Everyone is pointing to last night but all I saw from him last season was a guy that couldn't make a shot to save himself, poor decision making, turnover prone and an average defender. I was annoyed when I saw him get invited to TC, I didn't want a season of having to watch Sam Young.

TheGreatYacht
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Wow... I knew the guy was a scrub all along but I actually feel kind of bad for him. I thought he should have at least gotten one more game before being cut. Oh well. I would have liked to see Hollis Thompson given an opportunity. I liked his D in the summer league. Too bad Philly (Brett Brown) took him from us.

jeebus
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
:wakeup

xmas1997
10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I would have liked Nunnally here. Could have been the second coming of Bruce Bowen, or rather mini-Bruce. :lol

Holden_Caulfield
10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
shouldve gotten the kiffin treatment after that shit of a performance but we were at home so getting cut 12 hours later is good too:lol

loveforthegame
10-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Not surprising after last night. Yikes.

silverblk mystix
10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I didn't see it - what did happen to him - he killed the Spurs during that Memphis series that the spurs lost -

or at least appeared to be a decent role player at that time with a lot of upside.

Austin_Toros
10-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Does this mean Maggette's chances of signing have increased if Spurs can't find another SF?

Libri
10-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Not even good enough for the Toros?!

Interrohater
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Does this mean Maggette's chances of signing have increased if Spurs can't find another SF?
I would say no. Just because Maggette has no competition doesn't mean that he has a better chance because he's also fighting against roster flexibility. The Spurs will judge him on his own merits.

Joseph Kony
10-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Why couldn't this asshole play like shit versus SA in 2011 :pctoss

TD 21
10-10-2013, 04:56 PM
It never hurts to take a look, but he really never should have been brought in in the first place. Can't shoot, pass, or dribble, in addition to being low IQ and lacking confidence.

I still think Maggette has virtually no chance of making the team though. At this point, they'll probably go into the season with 14 and hope someone emerges throughout the season, either in the D-League or Europe.

Obviously, I hope it doesn't happen, but they really deserve for Leonard to be out for a couple of months, for being so negligent in addressing this need. It's inexplicable.

Dex
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone play themselves out of a job that fast.

xellos88330
10-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Sam Young was an absolute train wreck offensively. I was somewhat pleased with his defense, but in the Spurs system you have to able to make your shots. If you are blowing wide open layups, and cannot hit the jumper, you are not going to make the team. Danny Green has trouble offensively in the paint, but he has a reliable jumper.

That being said, I wish Young the best of luck.

xmas1997
10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Sam Young was an absolute train wreck offensively. I was somewhat pleased with his defense, but in the Spurs system you have to able to make your shots. If you are blowing wide open layups, and cannot hit the jumper, you are not going to make the team. Danny Green has trouble offensively in the paint, but he has a reliable jumper.

That being said, I wish Young the best of luck.

I warned people his offense was atrocious, but I also warned people that Maggettes' defense is equally atrocious.
IMHO Youngs offense was only a little worse than Maggettes defense, but not by much.
Thus my contention that neither make the team. Both were long shots anyway.

Hoops Czar
10-10-2013, 05:19 PM
It could have been just a bad game. I'm surprised Pop didn't give him a second chance, and no, I don't mean one of those Nando De Colo second chances.

ElNono
10-10-2013, 05:33 PM
I suspect the decision wasn't solely based on last night, but something that was brewing and last night basically cemented it.

Good luck to him wherever he might end up.

Horry For 3!
10-10-2013, 05:38 PM
He was horrible last night but I figured they would give him another game or 2. Guess not.

loveforthegame
10-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I wonder if the Spurs are sold on Maggette or plan to bring someone else in?

Hope it doesn't mean Josh Howard in 3...2...1.

Budkin
10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Damn, never thought he would be that terrible. Oh well.

elemento
10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Kind of hard to stay in the league if you can't do anything well. That's the case of Young.

Anyway, GL to him.

therealtruth
10-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I don't understand why we never gave TMac a chance.

Embedded
10-10-2013, 08:39 PM
I felt bad for him, he really embarrassed himself. It didn't seem like he was in basketball shape.

rick1991
10-10-2013, 08:48 PM

+1

baseline bum
10-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Because he is completely finished and not an NBA caliber player anymore even as a deep bench guy.

freetiago
10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
No one even saw Tmac play and when he did he was actually pretty sharp defensively and his passing was great

and im hoping they bring in Tyler Wilkerson or whoever that long lanky guy who was a 4 year college player was in Spurs preseason game last year

Darius McCrary
10-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Told you guys timvp said he was horrible in every aspect.

FkLA
10-10-2013, 10:00 PM

Bro get rid of that fucking sig tbh.

PlayNando
10-10-2013, 11:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/131010_spurs_waive_sam_young
Once a scrub, always a scrub.

racm
10-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Lol, 17-0 run. Pacers fans hate him too for Game 2 of the ECF.

Hoops Czar
10-10-2013, 11:28 PM

You needed Timvp to tell you that?

timvp
10-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Damn, this year is off to a great start :tu

I was pissed the Spurs invited him to camp but at least they corrected that mistake ASAP.

Hopefully this will end Spurs fans' infatuation with him that all stems from the fact that Richard Jefferson bit on about 239109412083129310 of his pumpfakes in that Memphis series. If you don't fall for the pumpfake, Young literally can't do anything on the offensive end.

racm
10-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Damn, this year is off to a great start :tu

I was pissed the Spurs invited him to camp but at least they corrected that mistake ASAP.

Hopefully this will end Spurs fans' infatuation with him that all stems from the fact that Richard Jefferson bit on about 239109412083129310 of his pumpfakes in that Memphis series. If you don't fall for the pumpfake, Young literally can't do anything on the offensive end.

Young can't defend either. If he were at plus defender that Moscow run wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Floyd Pacquiao
10-10-2013, 11:49 PM

:lol

Axegrinder
10-11-2013, 12:59 AM
JaMychel Green was released. I'm still hoping for Hollis T. or J Nunnally.

Raven
10-11-2013, 01:24 AM
well deserved, i'm a little sad by this, but he was ridicolously bad.

Biernutz
10-11-2013, 01:33 AM
The Lakers need a forward , LA will give him a call.

kobyz
10-11-2013, 04:16 AM
I think he was worth another chance to prove himself, still is a player who was rotation player on east finals team last year and in his prime...

Axegrinder
10-11-2013, 06:40 AM
I think he was worth another chance to prove himself, still is a player who was rotation player on east finals team last year and in his prime...Please follow him wherever he goes. You both suck

The Reckoning
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
RC must have been putting down vodkas with the Russians and made a late night drunk call

DMC
10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't feel bad for these people. They had a shot to make millions, many have, and they didn't do the basic things required to remain usable. We don't feel sorry for people who don't get jobs they interview for, why feel sorry for this clown?

cjw
10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Wasn't he the guy who should have fouled Lebron in game 1 of the ECF when he had the wide open layup at the end (with Hibbert off the floor)?

DrunkTXLabrat
10-11-2013, 12:23 PM
it's a bummer young didn't work out. i was very optimistic about him. i'm not so optimistic about maggette. if they go with the revolving door 15 spot, it'll make for some interesting threads this year. but...

i think it's starting to look like draft and stash is getting a little outta hand. kawhi needs a backup. manu at 3 is cool, and i think it'll work. and i wouldn't mind some minutes for diaw at 3 when/if manu goes down. but how about a rookie 3 with a niche, to actively groom? during the season, he can ride the pine and take in the system. but right now is prime experience and evaluation time, and it's being spent on a late 20something with low potential. thomas had a good enough summer league. davies, southerland, or anybody in the draft pool woulda been fine.

i don't mind livio pick. i think mitchell was worth a shot, but sure livio looks real good down the line. but "come on man" spurs. throw the 2nd rounder into the pool and see if he sinks or swims.

Seventyniner
10-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Young bent over for Moscow even more than Kirilenko did. Good riddance.

TheGreatYacht
10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
It never hurts to take a look, but he really never should have been brought in in the first place. Can't shoot, pass, or dribble, in addition to being low IQ and lacking confidence.

I still think Maggette has virtually no chance of making the team though. At this point, they'll probably go into the season with 14 and hope someone emerges throughout the season, either in the D-League or Europe.

Obviously, I hope it doesn't happen, but they really deserve for Leonard to be out for a couple of months, for being so negligent in addressing this need. It's inexplicable.
I don't ever wish the Spurs failure but you do have a valid point. I wonder if wasting capspace on Manu's $14.5 M contract and retaining Matt Bonner will come back to bite the FO in the rear.
I don't feel bad for these people. They had a shot to make millions, many have, and they didn't do the basic things required to remain usable. We don't feel sorry for people who don't get jobs they interview for, why feel sorry for this clown?
True. The Pop and Manu apologists didn't feel sorry for Timmy that he didn't get his 5th ring. They were more preoccupied about defending the honor of Pop and Manu so why even care about a scrub like Sam Young. :lol
it's a bummer young didn't work out. i was very optimistic about him. i'm not so optimistic about maggette. if they go with the revolving door 15 spot, it'll make for some interesting threads this year. but...

i think it's starting to look like draft and stash is getting a little outta hand. kawhi needs a backup. manu at 3 is cool, and i think it'll work. and i wouldn't mind some minutes for diaw at 3 when/if manu goes down. but how about a rookie 3 with a niche, to actively groom? during the season, he can ride the pine and take in the system. but right now is prime experience and evaluation time, and it's being spent on a late 20something with low potential. thomas had a good enough summer league. davies, southerland, or anybody in the draft pool woulda been fine.

i don't mind livio pick. i think mitchell was worth a shot, but sure livio looks real good down the line. but "come on man" spurs. throw the 2nd rounder into the pool and see if he sinks or swims.
I'm still not convinced that Manu will cover our hole at the three spot on a permanent basis. Having Manu defend guys that are bigger and stronger than him can be detremental to his health, especially at his age.

DMC
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
My agenda my agenda my agenda my agenda... what? Oh btw my agenda my agenda my agenda my shtick my agenda my shtick

Bruno
10-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Spurs next preseason games will be a b2b so it will give a great opportunity to see the end of the bench players and training camp invite given that most of the rotation players won't play both games.

I do hope Maggette shows he still able to play because otherwise, Spurs are back at square one at the search of a big SF/mobile PF.

ace3g
10-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Spurs next preseason games will be a b2b so it will give a great opportunity to see the end of the bench players and training camp invite given that most of the rotation players won't play both games.

I do hope Maggette shows he still able to play because otherwise, Spurs are back at square one at the search of a big SF/mobile PF.

One thing I did like about Maggette during the open practice was his passing. He wasn't always looking to score on his drives to the basket.

DrunkTXLabrat
10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
TheGreatYacht

yeah the spurs shoulda drafted mitchell with the first. or at least kept thomas around for the 15 spot. manu is gonna get hurt playing anybody. and diaw is about as good of injury insurance as thomas or mitchell would be.

therealtruth
10-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Because he is completely finished and not an NBA caliber player anymore even as a deep bench guy.

He couldn't have been more finished than Ginobili was in the Finals.

xmas1997
10-11-2013, 10:18 PM

hsxvvd
10-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Kid can't shoot.