PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: Spurs vs. Suns - Oct. 13 (Preseason)

timvp
10-13-2013, 06:10 PM
-I'm still impressed with Tim Duncan. I don't see much of a drop off from last season. If he can have another vintage year, that alone would make these Spurs championship contenders.

-I'm also very happy with Manu Ginobili. He looks like he's sharp and in good shape. His intensity is already off the charts. Oh, and his defense has been surprisingly really good in preseason.

-Tony Parker looks fine. He's not pushing it much past first gear -- but he doesn't need to at this point.

-The little we saw of Splitter was more of the same. Strong D, good movement on O, play hard, etc.

-Danny Green passed the ball well and was attentive defensively. His off the dribble game doesn't seem like it has improved, though. But, really, expecting it to at this point of his career would probably be foolish.

-Corey Maggette has made a career out of getting to the free throw line. He did that again today. However, I wasn't too impressed with what I saw. He's a player who relies on his athleticism to be effective ... and the soon to be 34-year-old didn't display any of the explosiveness of yesteryear. Take away his ability to physically dominate and you have a subpar defender who is an iffy outside shooter, an average rebounder, below average basketball IQ-wise, and a limited passer and playmaker. Hopefully he shows more athletic ability as preseason progresses but as of right now, it's just not there.

-Marco Belinelli continues to show he has a lot to learn. His defense needs to be about two or three notches more intense. Floating on that end of the court won't win him any minutes. Offensively, he illustrated some ability in the pick-and-roll but also made a few ill-advised passes. Shooting-wise, he needs to learn that in San Antonio, shooters have the space to get stationary, get set and fire. He was constantly shooting from an off-balanced stance, which hurt his accuracy. While shooting off-balance was necessary for a lot of his previous career due to not playing in offenses that created open shots, that's no longer the case. Get set, Marco. No longer must you lean and otherwise cavort in order to find open space. Thanks in advance.

-I thought Jeff Ayres played pretty damn well and looks to be a really good fit. He runs the court hard, which works well in this system. He is comfortable from the high post and looks to be able to shoot well and pass well from that area of the court -- which again fits well in this system. Ayres plays hard, plays physically, sets strong screens and seems to have an above average basketball IQ for a bigman. I like what I've seen and he's making a good case for himself for a possible spot in the rotation.

-Aaron Baynes played decently well. I'm still a bit disappointed by his lack of physicality. He's a big, strong dude who can jump -- he has to use that to his advantage. There were again multiple points in this game where he didn't take advantage and instead tried to get by with finesse. That ain't gonna cut it.

-Matt Bonner did Matt Bonner things.

-Cory Joseph again was underwhelming. He was the first PG off the bench but looked uncomfortable. His D was nothing special and his O was much too herky-jerky. Let's hope he gets extended minutes in one of these upcoming games and builds upon the promise he exhibited last season.

-Patty Mills looked pretty good again. Sure, he's not a point guard but he can shoot and his slimmed down physique allows him to be a better defender. With Joseph yet to take the backup reins and the possibility that the Spurs could use more shooting off the bench due to the loss of Gary Neal, Mills has a legitimate chance to crack the rotation if things break his way and he keeps playing well.

-Drama! Nando De Colo started the second half. But Pop yanked him in less the two minutes and gave him a serious tongue lashing. De Colo responded by pouting and sitting on the baseline a good five to seven feet away from the nearest Spurs player. Pop reinserted him in the fourth quarter and even allowed him to play point guard -- but there wasn't much positive to report. It looks like De Colo is unhappy. Does he want the Spurs to release him so he can retreat back to Europe? That's the body language he's displaying right now.

-I like the defense Courtney Fells played. He pressured the ball well and was able to move his feet against smaller players. He was also very active on the boards. He didn't appear to be too skillful on the offensive end but his overall tenacity did him well this afternoon.

-Marcus Cousin plays like DeMarcus Cousins but with less of an emphasis on D. Marcus Cousin looks a he's gained quite a bit of weight since the last time he was in training camp. It's changed him as a player but it hasn't gotten him any closer to making the NBA.

Darius Bieber
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
The only real reason (I can think of) of keeping Nando is to trade him later on... Other than that I don't know what the Spurs could possibly do with him.

siraulo23
10-13-2013, 06:28 PM
yep ayres is gonna make the team, you could see he's a good fit the first time he stepped on the court as a spur

- i agree maggette was pretty bad i didnt think he played with much intensity at all and not having the ability to consistently shoot the outside shot is gonna be tough for him to play, with that said i think bruno mentioned this was his first game in 10 months, hopefully he gets into game shape soon

Bruno
10-13-2013, 06:44 PM
It would be damn understandable if Nando wants to get the hell out of Spurs. They are clearly showing him they don't count on him and their behavior with him has been questionable these last months.

RD2191
10-13-2013, 06:49 PM
well maybe if he didn't suck in every aspect of the game he would get some playing time

RD2191
10-13-2013, 06:50 PM
This scrub was getting shit on by camp players in preseason, what a joke.

jestersmash
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
It would be damn understandable if Nando wants to get the hell out of Spurs. They are clearly showing him they don't count on him and their behavior with him has been questionable these last months.

They don't count on him because he's been awful. What behavior from the spurs organization would you call "questionable?"

jestersmash
10-13-2013, 07:03 PM
And I'm actually genuinely curious - I've been away from spurs basketball pretty much all summer so I haven't been keeping up with anything. I didn't even know that we had signed Corey Maggette until today :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
10-13-2013, 07:03 PM

He is being treated the same way as Chucky Brown and Beno Udrih. He strikes me as the type that thinks he is a hell of a lot better than he actually is and doesn't feel the need to prove himself.

All of the bad stereotypes they pile on millennials here in the states he exhibits.

Hoops Czar
10-13-2013, 07:06 PM
De Colo is out of his depth in the NBA. Anybody who thought he had game because of a couple of fluke performances against Miami and Chicago was only kidding themselves.

As for CoJo, maybe he's still stuck in 1st gear, but one assist in 19 minutes of action is pretty damning. And to think, Mo Williams was available and on the market. RC had a pretty disastrous off season.

ChumpDumper
10-13-2013, 07:07 PM
lol disastrous

NickiRasgo
10-13-2013, 07:25 PM
From the start, I dunno but I see Ayres as PF (Tyson) Chandler. A great team player.

Bruno
10-13-2013, 07:29 PM
They don't count on him because he's been awful.

It doesn't matter why they don't count on him.

What behavior from the spurs organization would you call "questionable?"

It's questionable to put a player from the backup PG spot to the inactive list without explaining him why.
It's questionable to ask a player to play summer league while it's the only time of the year he can spend a couple of weeks with his family and while he has a lot of experience.
It's questionable to yank after a player that is in the doghouse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Poor Nando, Pop is so unfair with him." It's just that he is in a tough situation and I would understand him wanting to get out of it.

outmap
10-13-2013, 07:39 PM
From the start, I dunno but I see Ayres as PF (Tyson) Chandler. A great team player.

I see Ayres more like a post injury Antonio McDyess.

ElNono
10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
It's questionable to put a player from the backup PG spot to the inactive list without explaining him why.
It's questionable to ask a player to play summer league while it's the only time of the year he can spend a couple of weeks with his family and while he has a lot of experience.

IMO, all those things sound to me like they're trying to "humble" him. Pop is a guy that will put players through unpleasant stuff to see if you have what it takes. Tony would know a thing or two about that.

I don't know if it's fair or not, but this isn't new and I think the Spurs take that as a part of character building.

ceperez
10-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Nando needs to do only one thing to show that he can stay with the team... shoot the ball when he is open.

So far, he has not shown this at all!

Not during the playoffs.
Not during summer league.
Not during the pre-season.

Now he wants to show his displeasure by sulking on the bench??

The Spurs already passed on free agency by keeping him on the books. Should the Spurs pass on some more players?

racm
10-13-2013, 07:48 PM
IMO, all those things sound to me like they're trying to "humble" him. Pop is a guy that will put players through unpleasant stuff to see if you have what it takes. Tony would know a thing or two about that.

I don't know if it's fair or not, but this isn't new and I think the Spurs take that as a part of character building.

"Get over yourself" is only second to "pounding the rock" as a team motto.

Strategic
10-13-2013, 08:01 PM
It doesn't matter why they don't count on him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Poor Nando, Pop is so unfair with him." It's just that he is in a tough situation and I would understand him wanting to get out of it.Bruno, didn't Nando make a choice not to spend some time with his family in the weeks prior to summer league ball? Then when the Spurs needed to use summer league to shore up the back up point guard position you suggest that he deserved a free pass? Why don't we take up a collection plate and fly the poor man's family to the states for a couple weeks visit?

Bruno
10-13-2013, 08:04 PM

Well, I'm skeptical on how you need to humble or build the character of a 26 years old player that is starting his 8th professional year. It might be true for a 19 years old Parker or a college player but not for a seasoned vet.

Bruno
10-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Bruno, didn't Nando make a choice not to spend some time with his family in the weeks prior to summer league ball?

No, he didn't.

Then when the Spurs needed to use summer league to shore up the back up point guard position you suggest that he deserved a free pass?

De Colo, played SG in summer league. I really failed to see the interest while he has played hundreds of highest level games at SG in his career, while he was going to play the next 2 months SG with the French National Team and while Spurs still had three high level SG with Green, Ginobili and Belinelli.

Basketball wise, it was so pointless to have De Colo playing SL.

exstatic
10-13-2013, 08:11 PM
yep ayres is gonna make the team, you could see he's a good fit the first time he stepped on the court as a spur

- i agree maggette was pretty bad i didnt think he played with much intensity at all and not having the ability to consistently shoot the outside shot is gonna be tough for him to play, with that said i think bruno mentioned this was his first game in 10 months, hopefully he gets into game shape soon

:lol You could see that when they signed him to a guaranteed contract at $2M per year.

ElNono
10-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, I'm skeptical on how you need to humble or build the character of a 26 years old player that is starting his 8th professional year. It might be true for a 19 years old Parker or a college player but not for a seasoned vet.

Bonner was 26 when he joined the Spurs and had the same treatment. Oberto after he won an olympic gold medal and had a long career in Europe. Same with Splitter.

Pop's act doesn't discriminate, tbh... if he thinks a player needs it, he goes with it.

Strategic
10-13-2013, 08:23 PM
No, he didn't.. :rollin

De Colo, played SG in summer league. I really failed to see the interest while he has played hundreds of highest level games at SG in his career, while he was going to play the next 2 months SG with the French National Team and while Spurs still had three high level SG with Green, Ginobili and Belinelli.

Basketball wise, it was so pointless to have De Colo playing SL.It appears that Nando is having a hard time fitting in with the Spurs. I like to see the club give these guys every opportunity possible. I hope it works out for him. As for lacking quality family time, these guys have all of my sympathies.

Bruno
10-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Bonner was 26 when he joined the Spurs and had the same treatment. Oberto after he won an olympic gold medal and had a long career in Europe. Same with Splitter.

Pop's act doesn't discriminate, tbh... if he thinks a player needs it, he goes with it.

Yeah, sure... Pop humbled and build Oberto's character.

Darkwaters
10-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Bruno, I respect you, but that's a really silly comment. Young players don't have a monopoly on this stuff. Players come into the league with all different kings of maturity, and they move through their careers with the same variety. You can't tell me that Kobe, a serious veteran, would ever be able to "get over himself" even if he tried 100 years. It's pretty clear that Nando feels that he's better than he is, or at the very least deserves a different role. It's also obvious to everyone watching that he's just not that good. At the end of the day he's a professional athlete that makes insane money - and he wants to pout...again? Sounds like an immature baby to me.

ElNono
10-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah, sure... Pop humbled and build Oberto's character.

He sure had him warming up the bench quite a bit the first season. Same for Bonner. Same for Splitter.

Heck, De Colo played more games than all those 3 did in his first season as a Spur. He definitely had his chances.

Strategic
10-13-2013, 08:43 PM
First you have the thoroughbred league and then you have the Eurobred league. If a man can't make it in the first there is no shame in the latter.

Libri
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I didn't know Pop was into building player's character.

Ask Pop and he would say, I'm yelling because I'm pissed that your playing like crap.

ElNono
10-13-2013, 08:51 PM
I didn't know Pop was into building player's character.

Ask Pop and he would say, I'm yelling because I'm pissed that your playing like crap.

well, that too. But you also have Splitter or Hill "not being ready" (according to Pop) for their first playoffs, for example.

Bruno
10-13-2013, 08:54 PM
He sure had him warming up the bench quite a bit the first season. Same for Bonner. Same for Splitter.

Heck, De Colo played more games than all those 3 did in his first season as a Spur. He definitely had his chances.

I'm not sure what you want to say. I've never said De Colo is receiving a treatment that other haven't received or that he didn't received opportunities to show what he can do. I've never said that De Colo was some kind of amazing player who was ruined by Pop.

What I'm saying is just that I would easily understand and even agreed if De Colo wanted to leave Spurs.
First, he won't get consistent playing time with Spurs.
Second, Spurs haven't bee that friendly with him lately.
Third, if he goes back to Spain his personal life would certainly be easier. Since he isn't married his
Spanish fiancee isn't able to stay the whole year in the US.

spurraider21
10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
-there is no reason to defend Nando. he hasn't been very good on the court and isn't exactly being a good soldier about it.

-Manu needs to refine that long distance shooting. it peaked a couple of years ago and has fallen off a bit

-backup pg position is still the biggest concern on the team. CoJo still looks overwhelmed at times. doesn't really create and doesn't look really comfortable with the role of initiating the offense. bellineli can handle it for a possession here and there, but like Manu, he needs to go back to doing what he does best, shooting, to set up the rest of his game. it looks like Manu will be the de facto backup pg yet again, and this time we don't have Neal to go to in a pinch. I'm sure Mills can more or less handle anything Neal did.

-baynes did disappoint. he needs to realize that more often than not, he is physically superior to his counterpart on the other team.

-ayres has been a revelation and looks like a really good pickup. he can hit the Kurt Thomas jumper and plays with some intensity.

-i actually love what Maggette brings to the table. he's not going to be a guy that plays heavy rotation minutes (with Danny, Kawhi, Bello, Manu, and even Diaw getting some minutes at the 3) we have enough wing players to not be reliant on big minutes from Maggette. But its always good to have somebody who is willing to put pressure on the defense and attack attack attack. particularly if we have a lead in a game and the big guns need a breather. throw him in there and let him get to the line like he always does. got there 8 times. as long as he isn't responsible with the role of defending one of the other teams better players, he should be fine if he makes the roster.

-of course, its good to see Timmy looking this good. tbh, i don't know if i'm really pumped for the season. i was really drained after this past year and dont think my heart will really be in it for the first month or so of the season. with that said, its amazing to see Tim has more fire than I do as a fan :lol. he looks locked and loaded for another yet. may the punisher protect him :toast

ElNono
10-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure what you want to say. I've never said De Colo is receiving a treatment that other haven't received or that he didn't received opportunities to show what he can do. I've never said that De Colo was some kind of amazing player who was ruined by Pop.

What I'm saying is just that I would easily understand and even agreed if De Colo wanted to leave Spurs.
First, he won't get consistent playing time with Spurs.
Second, Spurs haven't bee that friendly with him lately.
Third, if he goes back to Spain his personal life would certainly be easier. Since he isn't married his
Spanish fiancee isn't able to stay the whole year in the US.

I already stated what I want to say: I don't particularly agree that the Spurs behavior with him has been that much different than with other players.

If he can't handle the pressure or has other personal problems, then I would agree with you that walking away would make sense too.

I mean, he wouldn't be the first player that couldn't make it past Pop's mindgames. Udrih comes to mind.

Hoops Czar
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM

The Spurs didn't have a true back up PG and they wanted to avoid overusing Ginobili. De Colo had more lives than a cat. At 26, for a player who can't shoot or direct an offense, I'm not really sure what he can improve upon.

He doesn't have the right to be snarky with anyone but himself. He should be thanking the Spurs for the opportunity because I don't think there's another organization that would have.

Ice009
10-13-2013, 10:52 PM

Nando was the one that started with the behavior last season. He shouldn't be in the NBA or on the team. He isn't tough enough mentally and doesn't display tenacity on the court. He's trying to play a finesse game out there IMO. He needs to play tougher and scrappier.

Spursfanfromafar
10-13-2013, 11:19 PM
I think Nando can't have it both ways.. He lacked playing time during the playoffs.. and while in regular season he showed some promise as a passing shooting guard, his game was plagued by turnovers and bad shooting.. I suppose it was only fair for the Spurs to have him play summer league by re-learning the Spurs offense (and also defense).

The thing is he is not cutting it well as a player without the ball and he thinks he is better than this situation is. It is not the Spurs fault.

The best thing for all is to trade De Colo to a team where he can find a role. Maybe the Sixers? or the Jazz or Magic or Bobcats or some like that where they wouldn't mind trying out a prospect. If not he can go back to Europe.

Splits
10-13-2013, 11:33 PM
DeColo didn't even play 20 minutes a game for France in their Eurobasket run, yielding a meh 7/2/1 statline. I'm not sure how he expects to crack the rotation on one of the best teams in the world when he barely gets minutes or produces for his NT.

td4mvp2k
10-14-2013, 12:00 AM
-there is no reason to defend Nando. he hasn't been very good on the court and isn't exactly being a good soldier about it.
I'm not sure how he expects to crack the rotation on one of the best teams in the world when he barely gets minutes or produces for his NT.
-i actually love what Maggette brings to the table. he's not going to be a guy that plays heavy rotation minutes (with Danny, Kawhi, Bello, Manu, and even Diaw getting some minutes at the 3) we have enough wing players to not be reliant on big minutes from Maggette. But its always good to have somebody who is willing to put pressure on the defense and attack attack attack. particularly if we have a lead in a game and the big guns need a breather. throw him in there and let him get to the line like he always does. got there 8 times. as long as he isn't responsible with the role of defending one of the other teams better players, he should be fine if he makes the roster.

cd021
10-14-2013, 12:00 AM
The only real reason (I can think of) of keeping Nando is to trade him later on... Other than that I don't know what the Spurs could possibly do with him.

He does have $1.4 million on the books. We don't have to many players we would seem willing to trade. Moving him along with Bonner or even Diaw could allow us to get near the $7 million dollar range in return.

szkorhetz
10-14-2013, 12:34 AM
I already stated what I want to say: I don't particularly agree that the Spurs behavior with him has been that much different than with other players.

If he can't handle the pressure or has other personal problems, then I would agree with you that walking away would make sense too.

I mean, he wouldn't be the first player that couldn't make it past Pop's mindgames. Udrih comes to mind.
Trade him to Denver for Anthony Randolph, TBH. Both players can't find minutes with their team. Denver will play a lot of triangle but they still only have Ty Lawson as a shoot creator. They even play Wilson Chandler as SG. We would badly need a shoot blocker, a long, athletic body, and AR qualifies.

Texas_Ranger
10-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Like I said. If it was possible I'd get rid of all of out backup PG's and give their money to Teodosic.

Ice009
10-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Like I said. If it was possible I'd get rid of all of out backup PG's and give their money to Teodosic.

Is he even allowed to sign win an NBA team? How does his contract work?

Texas_Ranger
10-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Is he even allowed to sign win an NBA team? How does his contract work?

Don't know. It's a question for Bruno. I would guess that CSKA would want a lot of money, cause he is one of the highest paid players in Europe but also one of the best. I also think his contract is over after this year, so some teams from the NBA will probably knock on his doors.

UZER
10-14-2013, 01:49 AM

And this is exactly why the team hasn't had a back up point guard since Speedy. Pop plays to many bullshit games with players minds. He may not be as tough as Parker mentally, but if its what you've got, then you gotta put a player in the best position to make you successful without running your starting pg into the ground and forcing others to play out of position. It'll come back to haunt you in the playoffs.

And I ain't even defending De Colo. He's just another player in the Pop back up point guard dog house routine.

HI-FI
10-14-2013, 02:38 AM
sucks to hear about DeColo, I didn't watch the game but have a feeling this won't end well.

I had high hopes for the guy, but maybe it's not meant to be. I read his interview over the summer, saying how much he missed Spain. I share his sentiments on Spain, but add to the fact he's got a fiancee over there, then maybe his head isn't in the right place. Or maybe he's simply too much of a bitch about things. Sucks we still don't have an answer for the backup PG, not sure if the mindgames are helping or hurting in that regard.

ElNono
10-14-2013, 02:54 AM
And this is exactly why the team hasn't had a back up point guard since Speedy. Pop plays to many bullshit games with players minds. He may not be as tough as Parker mentally, but if its what you've got, then you gotta put a player in the best position to make you successful without running your starting pg into the ground and forcing others to play out of position. It'll come back to haunt you in the playoffs.

And I ain't even defending De Colo. He's just another player in the Pop back up point guard dog house routine.

I thought both Jack Vaughn and TJ Ford were serviceable, but they were both vets, and had a relative short run with the team.

My personal impression is that the Spurs don't really feel they have a major hole to plug there. With Tony being young and able to play many minutes, I get the feeling they just want somebody so-so to burn minutes in the regular season, and ultimately I think Pop trusts Manu more than anybody else to run the backup PG when the playoffs roll around. That's what I see. What I think is that the backup PG situation has been a problem for a while, and I much rather have Manu playing SG anyways. I actually liked when they signed TJ Ford. I thought it was addressing that issue. It's a shame he had that accident and he had to retire.

Spursfanfromafar
10-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Too much mind-reading going on Pop.. Pop is doing what Pop does best - plainspeaking to players on the basketball court and establishing a relationship off-court.

It isn't Pop's fault that Nando has been underwhelming-to-unimpressive .. It isn't his fault that Nando thinks he can reprise his role in an inferior league as a NBA player.. Pop has been as good with Nando as with any other player ever. It has got nothing to do with Pop.

I think Nando has to find a niche for himself and do what is expected off him on the court. Anything less and then howmushsoever, he frets and fumes, it is his fault and not anyone else's.

There are just two ways to this thing - a minor mess in a teacup - either Nando is patient and finds his way or is traded. I see a prospect more for the latter than the former, because of the guard logjam and also because there is going to be less patience in a contender like the Spurs instead of a rebuilding team.

kobyz
10-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Spurs need to release Maggette, he is not type of player for winning team, ruin every basketball chemistry when he on the floor, style of game and defense very poor... Spurs should have kept Young even if he was awful in first game, at least he is player that play hard and tough and always will be ready when he is called...

kobyz
10-14-2013, 03:21 AM
I see Ayres more like a post injury Antonio McDyess.
i see him more like smaller David Robinson...

Brunodf
10-14-2013, 03:22 AM
One thing i realized about Nando a year ago: he needs good players around him, we saw what Nando can do when paired with good teammates, it's no surprise that he can't play well paired with 3rd stringers.

benfti
10-14-2013, 03:25 AM
DeColo didn't even play 20 minutes a game for France in their Eurobasket run, yielding a meh 7/2/1 statline. I'm not sure how he expects to crack the rotation on one of the best teams in the world when he barely gets minutes or produces for his NT.
In comparison mills lights it the fuck up for his NT, and doesn't bitch about his minutes for he spurs, he just puts his head down and works hard

Boomersgold
10-14-2013, 03:27 AM
One thing i realized about Nando a year ago: he needs good players around him, we saw what Nando can do when paired with good teammates, it's no surprise that he can't play well paired with 3rd stringers.

Anyone would play well if they had good players around them. Put Bonner on with Duncan and Tiago, and his ineffectiveness is masked by their effectiveness.

Hoops Czar
10-14-2013, 04:01 AM

What I found out, almost instantly since he got here was that Nando wasn't that good and everybody spent a year making excuses for him..... "He doesn't know the system", "Wait until he gets his confidence", "Pop doesn't give Nando consistent playing time" etc. It was the foolhardy members that were so blinded by a few of his "manu-esque" passes that were far and few between, they couldn't see the stink.

Actually, his best games were against Miami and Chicago and in both cases, the starters sat. So, on a rare occasions, he has had success with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

He's not even worth a second round pick and most NBA teams would rather keep theirs rather than take De Crapo in a trade. At roughly 1.8M, the Spurs should just release him outright.

OrEmuN
10-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Anyone would play well if they had good players around them. Put Bonner on with Duncan and Tiago, and his ineffectiveness is masked by their effectiveness.

Well, not anyone. RJ managed to suck regardless whom he is playing with

Vash StampedE
10-14-2013, 05:04 AM
Great to hear Jeff Ayres' contributions. Solid offseason signing, so far.

mountainballer
10-14-2013, 05:13 AM
the De Colo situation might be a bit of a gamble on both sides. not sure if he already asked for a buy out, but let's guess he did. what happens next. it's a business and you don't need to keep a good relationship with someone who wants to leave. so let's guess the Spurs offered him a "buy out" for more or less nothing. Nando might have asekd for a million at min. so, both sides play the waiting game.
best case for Nando: Spurs just waive him, have to pay the full salary, he returns to Europe and get's a decent contract, likely in Spain.
best case for Spurs: Nando is afraid of a career setback b/c he won't play for a whole season and available spots in Europe vanish quickly. he agrees to a buyout close to zero.

I can't see Nado traded. who would take him at this point? even for a top 59 protected 2nd rounder. and I don't see the Spurs carry an unhappy player till deadline, just b/c they might need him as a filler in a trade.

speculation: Nando gets bought out for half of his salary within the next 10 days.

will_spurs
10-14-2013, 06:55 AM
In comparison mills lights it the fuck up for his NT, and doesn't bitch about his minutes for he spurs, he just puts his head down and works hard

The thing is, we shouldn't even have to compare Mills with De Colo. It's apples and oranges, really.

On one side you have a guy whose ceiling is to be a role player anyway, who plays a big role for his national team (which says all you need to know about the Australian NT, really).

On the other side you have a guy who had a really good contract for top European teams, who just won the Euro with his NT (even if not being one of the stars of the team, he contributed), and who would definitely get paid if he were going to back to Spain.

De Colo jumped to the NBA aiming to be a starter. As that's obviously not going to be the case (there are 3 players ahead of him for his position and he's being forced to play spotty backup minutes out of position), I'm with Bruno that I can understand why he's unhappy and wanting out. It's not rocket science. And I'm not defending him either, it's just not that hard to see what's going through his mind right now.

Boomersgold
10-14-2013, 07:14 AM
The thing is, we shouldn't even have to compare Mills with De Colo. It's apples and oranges, really.

On one side you have a guy whose ceiling is to be a role player anyway, who plays a big role for his national team (which says all you need to know about the Australian NT, really).

I'm not really sure what you meant to say by this, but your post seems to suggest that the French National Team is heads and shoulders above the Australian National team, and that Mills having a large role for the Australian NT is your primary reason for this. You're completely wrong, if that's the case.

According to the official FIBA World rankings, France and Australia are ranked 8th and 9th respectively. And who's the reason for Australia ranking one spot behind France? Patty Mills! Australia's ranking is even more impressive when you consider the fact that their biggest star, Andrew Bogut, hasn't played on the team in years, and that the French NT boasts much more talented, proven NBA players such as Parker, Noah, Diaw and Batum.

will_spurs
10-14-2013, 07:17 AM
I'm not really sure what you meant to say by this, but your post seems to suggest that the French National Team is heads and shoulders above the Australian National team, and that Mills having a large role for the Australian NT is your primary reason for this. You're completely wrong, if that's the case.

According to the official FIBA World rankings, France and Australia are ranked 8th and 9th respectively. And who's the reason for Australia ranking one spot behind France? Patty Mills! Australia's ranking is even more impressive when you consider the fact that their biggest star, Andrew Bogut, hasn't played on the team in years, and that the French NT boasts much more talented, proven NBA players such as Parker, Noah, Diaw and Batum.

That's exactly what I meant and you're proving it :) It's nice for the Australian NT if they overachieve (and for the record I like Patty Mills and his attitude), but it also explains why De Colo has a lesser role with the French NT. As for rankings, they mean nothing, but that's another matter.

In any case, it's impossible to compare Mills' career with De Colo's.

benfti
10-14-2013, 07:44 AM

To be fair, Australia and France come right after one another in the world rankings, and also bear in mind that Bogut has not suited up for the Australia in over 3 years. So im not sure your point is that valid. Australia is that high up the FIBA rankings because of Mills.

look_at_g_shred
10-14-2013, 08:42 AM
So Kawhi and Diaw didn't play?

elemento
10-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I want to Maggette making the roster tbh. He won't be part of the playoff core anyways. He can definitely play and he is still in great shape. I don't think it hurts to have him as a backup insurance. I mean, SA got T-Mac when he looked like Dejuan Blair. Why not Maggette ?

monkeypunk
10-14-2013, 11:30 AM
So Kawhi and Diaw didn't play?

Nope, they'll likely play tonight with TD sitting.

eric365
10-14-2013, 11:30 AM
De Colo is pretty bad but it could be confidence issue
I would still give him a shot at the backup PG since he is the closest thing to a playmaker after Tony and Manu and they'll miss games in the season for sure

CJ is a better defender, a better scorer but he is not a good playmaker at all

monkeypunk
10-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I liked what I saw of Maggette, the assists were a nice bonus and if the play breaks down, we know he can take it in and get fouled. He seemed to try to stay within his skillset and was decent enough for a fringe rotation player.

However, I would really like to see him get the and-1. Looked like he was content just to get to the stripe. He needs to try to complete the play, otherwise he won't make the bunnies when the defense sags off not wanting to foul again. Plus and-1's are demoralized to the opp. team. If he could convert some of those, he'd be much more valuable.

Brunodf
10-14-2013, 02:03 PM
:huh Decolo is a playmaker and can't shoot, so he needs good shooters/scorers around him.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-15-2013, 06:39 AM
De Colo isn't strong or fast enough for the NBA. He wasn't even that exceptional in Europe, so, even with low expectations, he has somehow still managed to disappoint. He needs to go back to Europe, or concede and realize that he needs to be a much better player.

Kineto
10-15-2013, 06:49 AM
:huh Decolo is a playmaker and can't shoot, so he needs good shooters/scorers around him.

I often read this here, and i still don't understand where it come from.
Nando is not ray allen, but he is a decent shooter (38% from 3pts range last year, 80% ft-line)

He made to many TO, he can be better when he finish near the basket, but his shooting is not an issue for me...