PDA

View Full Version : Magic plan future with Francis

ducks
07-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Magic plan future with Francis
Published July 24, 2005

Several NBA teams have called the Orlando Magic this summer, wondering about the availability of talented but sometimes tempestuous guard Steve Francis.

None have gotten very far.

When Francis attended the Magic's summer-league games in Las Vegas earlier this month, he met with Magic officials to talk about several things, including the trade rumors that continue to circulate around him.

What he learned from that meeting was that he wasn't going anywhere. But it wasn't just the Magic getting the calls from other teams.

"I'd be misleading you if I said, 'I have not received calls from around the league,' people wondering what Steve wanted to do," said Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, who was vacationing in Florida last week. "The interest from other teams was genuine. But Steve likes Orlando. And based on our discussions with the Magic, they like him here."

The upcoming addition of point guard Keyon Dooling led to one rumor that he could be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, possibly for Lamar Odom. There was talk about a trade to the Minnesota Timberwolves. There was talk about him going to the Boston Celtics for Paul Pierce.

The dismissal of Magic general manager John Weisbrod -- who orchestrated the trade with the Houston Rockets that brought Francis to Orlando last summer -- has fueled the rumors. Weisbrod was Francis' biggest supporter, but Magic officials said with confidence last week that Francis will remain in Orlando. It's the same thing they told Francis and Fried a few days before.

It's a good thing because despite his turnovers and defensive lapses, Francis still plays the game with impressive energy and aggression. He not only led the team in scoring (21.3 points per game), assists (7 apg) and minutes played (38.2 mpg) last season, he was fun to watch.

Brian Hill's most important task this season as coach will be convincing Francis to trust and use his teammates more effectively -- and to become a leader defensively.

"You hear [trade] rumors, but I think reality is quite the contrary," Fried said. "I'm pretty sure of that. They want him in Orlando."

A big acquisition

Magic fans can stop worrying about the availability of first-round draft pick Fran Vazquez from Spain. Shortly after the collective bargaining agreement is finalized, which is expected to happen Thursday, Orlando will finish the contract buyout from his European team.

Some scouts in Europe are beginning to compare him to Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies. By European standards, scouts say he has good explosiveness and agility, which could make him an immediate contributor for the Magic.

Not ready to retire

There is coaching in the future for former Magic guard Darrell Armstrong, but the future isn't here just yet.

Armstrong, one of the most popular players in Magic history, was back in town last week for the Doc Rivers Celebrity Golf Invitational at Keene's Pointe.

Although he turned 37 last month, old for a point guard relying on quickness, Armstrong said he expects to sign a new contract with Dallas. He finished last season with the Mavericks after a trade from the New Orleans Hornets.

"I'm not getting older. I'm getting better," he joked after his round of golf. "I still think I can play another couple years. Then I'll think about coaching."

Armstrong averaged just 2.3 points and 2.2 assists in 11.1 minutes in Dallas last season, but Coach Avery Johnson likes the leadership Armstrong brings, even as the third point guard. Armstrong talked briefly this summer with the Magic about a possible return here, but those talks went nowhere.

Armstrong left the Magic after the 2002-03 season when the team encouraged him to sign elsewhere. At the time, Rivers wanted a younger point guard, although that move ultimately backfired, leading to the firing of both Rivers and general manager John Gabriel when the season turned into a disaster.

Although he makes his home now in Atlanta, Armstrong made sure to come back for Rivers' charity event.

It was the fifth consecutive year that Rivers hosted the event, which raised an all-time high of $100,000 for Shepherd's Hope, a nonprofit organization in Central Florida that provides healthcare for the uninsured.

As part of the event, Rivers hosted a charity auction/party at his Winter Park home the night before the golf outing. Like Armstrong, he isn't part of the Magic anymore -- they fired him at the start of the 2003-04 season -- but he remains committed to Central Florida.

Around the rim

If John Weisbrod still were running the show with the Magic, they might be looking at a different coach today. According to others in the organization, Weisbrod's first choice was Chris Ford. But with an eye toward connecting with former fans in the community, ownership decided it wanted Hill -- a great choice for this situation. Although that disagreement over a coach wasn't why Weisbrod was asked to step down, it didn't help an already deteriorating situation.

Reconnecting with fans is one reason the Magic should find a way to bring Nick Anderson back to town, retiring his jersey and then hiring him in a community-relations role.

Former Magic player Monty Williams will be getting a full-time position with the San Antonio Spurs next season. Williams, who was a coaching intern last spring when the Spurs won their latest championship, coached their summer-league team and did well, prompting the full-time offer.

Former Magic coach Johnny Davis, fired late last season, is going to Minnesota as an assistant to Dwane Casey, who is getting his first shot at being a head coach.

Interesting to see that Sports Illustrated picked Orlando's second-round draft pick, Travis Diener, as one of its five summer-league surprises, joining Ryan Gomes (Boston), Travis Outlaw (Portland Trail Blazers), Nate Robinson (New York Knicks) and Nikoloz Tskitishvili (Denver Nuggets).

A Final Thought: Many Eastern Conference teams have improved in the offseason.