Ginobili3
10-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah, looks like Fells. Wonder why they didn't waive him instead of Maggette

waisman
10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
want SF

cd98
10-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Maggette looked pretty bad yesterday in Denver. Maybe he was gassed because of the altitude, but probably he just sucks...hence he was cut.

benefactor
10-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Kybongo too.

monkeypunk
10-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Kybongo too.

This is what sucks, kid looks like he has potential.

MAx_Eric
10-15-2013, 12:24 PM
As expected
Bonner and De Colo should be cut as well!!

Texas_Ranger
10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Manu will get injured playing SF.... But at least there are still 100 guards and 3 backup PG's and none of them looks good.

ace3g
10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Kybongo still expected to go to the Toros, like Woj reported a while back

TimDunkem
10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I liked Kybongo. He's surprisingly strong, plays hard, and finishes well at the rim. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on an NBA roster this year, or the next

waisman
10-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Manu will get injured playing SF.... But at least there are still 100 guards and 3 backup PG's and none of them looks good.
need SF

BatManu20
10-15-2013, 12:46 PM

loveforthegame
10-15-2013, 12:48 PM
No surprises really. Maggette looked done in the Denver game.

I would love to see him added to the staff in some capacity and be a mentor to the young guys.

I wonder if the Spurs bring in someone like Howard or Pietrus?

Dex
10-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Not surprised at the cuts, but surprising that they made them this early.

That leaves only Fells and Nwaelelelalaaloo as preseason fodder, which is going to mean a lot of minutes for rotation and semi-rotational players. :hungry:

Dex
10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Not surprised at the cuts, but surprising that they made them this early.

That leaves only Fells and Nwaelelelalaaloo as preseason fodder, which is going to mean a lot of minutes for rotation and semi-rotational players. :hungry:

jeebus
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Meh. Diaw can be the backup SF along with Beli. Non issue.

Bruno
10-15-2013, 12:52 PM
It was quick but if Maggette has some health issues, it wasn't necessary to wait more.

Spurs will likely start the season with 14 players and a hole in their roster because Nwaelele and Fells should be also waived. Spurs will need to be creative to fix that hole. Maybe they could go after a player waived by another team later this month.

timtonymanu
10-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Spurs still need that backup SF, but Young and Maggette both sucked so this isn't surprising at all.

If Kabongo is really going to the Toros, then that's good news. With the inconsistencies of our backup PGs, having an option like Kabongo shouldn't hurt.

baseline bum
10-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Spurs still need that backup SF, but Young and Maggette both sucked so this isn't surprising at all.

If Kabongo is really going to the Toros, then that's good news. With the inconsistencies of our backup PGs, having an option like Kabongo shouldn't hurt.

Damn, just a couple of years ago Kabongo was supposed to be a sure-fire NBA point guard.

bklynspursfan
10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Maggette was standing in the corner a lot on offense not really moving much...looked pretty winded, but maybe there's more to it

spurraider21
10-15-2013, 01:33 PM
I can't believe we traded Kirilenko to the Nets

will_spurs
10-15-2013, 01:34 PM
It was quick but if Maggette has some health issues, it wasn't necessary to wait more.

Spurs will likely start the season with 14 players and a hole in their roster because Nwaelele and Fells should be also waived. Spurs will need to be creative to fix that hole. Maybe they could go after a player waived by another team later this month.

A player like Florent Piétrus would be nice, at least based on his recent play. Defensive energy off the bench is always good.

Darkwaters
10-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm bummed about Kabongo getting waived. Definitely hope he hits the Toros.

Biernutz
10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
As expected
Bonner and De Colo should be cut as well!!

That's not going to happen.....a trade is another thing....

Darkwaters
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I can't believe we traded Kirilenko to the Nets

Not to mention Paul George...

Darius McCrary
10-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Maybe we should tap the breaks on Canadian UT point guards who leave school too early.

Sucks about Maggette though. I thought his 8 FT's were proof positive he'd be able to find a niche on this team.

spurraider21
10-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Tbh I didn't know kabongo was a guy. Thought it was a lame nickname for Kawhi

TheyCallMePro
10-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Is anyone else disappointed that these guys (especially Kabongo and Cousin) didn't get more playing time? I mean this is the preseason, and these guys were coming in only in garbage time and getting just a few minutes a piece.

Frankly though, these were good decisions. Maggette is completely washed up. Cousin I don't know about...didn't see much of him, and Kabongo is about as raw as they come, and should have stayed at Texas 1 more year. Still though, I wish we'd put Kabongo on the Toros, just because he's a freakish athlete who in time his skills could be utilized if he ever learns how to slow down and run plays.

Hoops Czar
10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I didn't watch the game live but, I'm surprised Maggette was cut so fast considering he was playing a b2b for the first time in 10 months. I'm sure the thin air in Denver didn't do him any favors either.

Strategic
10-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Spurs will likely start the season with 14 players and a hole in their roster because Nwaelele and Fells should be also waived. Spurs will need to be creative to fix that hole. Maybe they could go after a player waived by another team later this month.Yes, but if history repeats itself, the later the Spurs add a player the less chance he will have to help in the playoffs.

Hoops Czar
10-15-2013, 02:08 PM
This is what sucks, kid looks like he has potential.

What a luxury it was for a team like the Spur to bring in two vets, invite them to camp and cut them just as fast. How many teams could say that, lol?

barakz21
10-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Well...... Fells as Air Force to the toros!

Hoops Czar
10-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes, but if history repeats itself, the later the Spurs add a player the less chance he will have to help in the playoffs.

Not nessessarily. Diaw stepped right in after being amnestied by the Bobcats.

elemento
10-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Well if he has healthy issues then there isn't much to talk about. Crazy to think that SA is going to the season with only Leonard as a true SF.

monkeypunk
10-15-2013, 02:32 PM
What a luxury it was for a team like the Spur to bring in two vets, invite them to camp and cut them just as fast. How many teams could say that, lol?

Poop Star, GTFO. It was and still is a luxury to be deep enough to be able to cut ties with vet players that fill a certain need but aren't the perfect fit. Sorry it doesn't make sense to you, guess you should have gone for that GED.

Hoops Czar
10-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Poop Star, GTFO. It was and still is a luxury to be deep enough to be able to cut ties with vet players that fill a certain need but aren't the perfect fit. Sorry it doesn't make sense to you, guess you should have gone for that GED.

If the Spurs were deep at SF, neither would have been in camp. Don't you see, that's the problem.

wildbill2u
10-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Remember how we all used to rage at Pop for bringing in a used-up veteran and then not playing him. We all wanted athletic young guys with some upside potential.

Well, Pop has changed his outlook on vets it seems.

Personally, I think the right decision was made. Magette simply looked out of place on this squad. We're all about ball movement and spacing with outside shooters to leave the lane open for Parker to attack. We really couldn't use his post up game that he used to have.

monkeypunk
10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
If the Spurs were deep at SF, neither would have been in camp. Don't you see, that's the problem.

It is a problem that we don't have a natural 3 to back Kawhi but we have other short term options from our deep bench like Beli, Manu, DG and Diaw. The luxury is that this 8-10 backup 3 minutes seems like the biggest need when other teams (like Denver) don't even know who most of their starters will be. And that we can take our time and find a backup sf that fits better than the two we just released.

It is a problem but it wasn't enough to keep us from the Finals.

Mr. Body
10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Maggette could have been a Spur years and years ago.

rick1991
10-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Maybe we should tap the breaks on Canadian UT point guards who leave school too early.

Sucks about Maggette though. I thought his 8 FT's were proof positive he'd be able to find a niche on this team.

Me too :(

PingPong
10-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Most of these guys sucked yesterday. The game was ugly when they were in court. The same for NDC. Nice effort from Magette, but he was bad.

Eddy from Austin
10-15-2013, 03:53 PM
What are Maggette's health issues?

txstr1986
10-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Maggette could have been a Spur years and years ago.

Yep, I seem to recall thread after thread several years suggesting that he'd be a great fit. He would'be been too. It all just came together too late...

Brunodf
10-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Cojo/Manu/Diaw/Ayers/Baynes lineup tbh

rick1991
10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
What are Maggette's health issues?

Probably nothing he could have really helped get to the line in his limited minutes. He should have been giving the entire preseason to show what he has considering his lack of PT last season and being a 2nd night of a back to back.

HI-FI
10-15-2013, 04:29 PM
i'm excited about Kabongo. part of it is he's a Longhorn, but also I think he's got serious upside, I just hope the drive is there and he continues to improve. If he's cool with going to the Toros, that would be really good. I might have to go to some of their home games.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Baynes has been looking pretty bad as well.

xmas1997
10-15-2013, 04:55 PM

That would be my guess too, 14 players to keep flexibility in order to maybe pick up a better gem.
I had a feeling all along that neither Young nor Maggette would make the team.
I do hope Kabongo goes to the Toros, although he an inch shorter than Cojo, I think he has serious upside.

Dex
10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Baynes has been looking pretty bad as well.

Baynes very likely hasn't really cracked the rotation. He probably won't see much more than garbage minutes unless somebody gets injured.

C Splitter / Bonner / Baynes
PF Duncan / Diaw / Ayres

Ice009
10-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm surprised both Maggette and Kabongo were cut this soon. I thought that they both would get more of a chance.

ohmwrecker
10-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Cojo/Manu/Diaw/Ayers/Baynes lineup tbh

Blegh.

Libri
10-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I remember that Corey had a calf strain last season and affected his ability to drive to the basket, which was his strong suit. Maybe he hasn't been able to recover from it and has lost that explosiveness he used to drive to the hoop.

moisaenz
10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Remember how we all used to rage at Pop for bringing in a used-up veteran and then not playing him. We all wanted athletic young guys with some upside potential.

Well, Pop has changed his outlook on vets it seems.

Personally, I think the right decision was made. Magette simply looked out of place on this squad. We're all about ball movement and spacing with outside shooters to leave the lane open for Parker to attack. We really couldn't use his post up game that he used to have.

It is somewhat the same issue we had with T-Mac since he had lost his shot.

G-Dawgg
10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Spurs did the right thing in waiving Maggette... He snubbed us years ago when we wanted him here. Good riddance.. he was only at training camp out of desperation at this point. Payback's a bitch ain't it?

exstatic
10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm surprised both Maggette and Kabongo were cut this soon. I thought that they both would get more of a chance.

Kabongo was a cut the minute he signed. The plan all along was to have him be an automatic Toro, which happens if you have no existing d-league affiliation and sign with the parent team and are cut.

Magette just had a Sam Young game last night. Sometimes you don't need to see more. I'm sure they saw all they needed to in camp and in practice.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Kabongo was always going to the Toros. Cousin will go back there if he stays in the states.

Nwaelele is property of the Santa Cruz team so it makes a little sense to keep him around a bit.

Fells has been out of school for several years ; I don't know all the places he played before last season. It's possible he could be allocated the to Toros as well, but maybe not.

Samr.
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
So what do we know about this Fells guy?

Personally I liked what I saw out of him last night, not enough to impress me, but certainly enough to intrigue me.

As for some Baynes criticism I read somewhere above... we must have been watching two completely different games then.

PlayNando
10-15-2013, 07:12 PM
lol magette

lol kabongo

lol cousin

NANDO MAKES THE FKN TEAM. STFU HATERS.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2013, 07:22 PM
lol magette

lol kabongo

lol cousin

NANDO MAKES THE FKN TEAM. STFU HATERS.My guess they are trying hard to trade him.

ace3g
10-15-2013, 07:38 PM
My guess they are trying hard to trade him.

There have been a lot of injuries early on in the preseason, some team might need another warm body.

Baseline
10-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Hopefully Ayres will step up, which might mean the end of the Matt Bonner era. And Nando would be a great one to stuff into Bonner's suitcase as he's leaving San Antonio. Meanwhile, Cory Joseph has a 2M option that has to be picked up in a month or so. Surely we're not going to pay this kid 2M...please tell me no!

Sean Cagney
10-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Yep, I seem to recall thread after thread several years suggesting that he'd be a great fit. He would'be been too. It all just came together too late...
He would have been so much better than RJ here in hindsight but who knows.

-21-
10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Maggette would've been a great a couple years ago.

Hopefully Ayres will step up, which might mean the end of the Matt Bonner era. And Nando would be a great one to stuff into Bonner's suitcase as he's leaving San Antonio. Meanwhile, Cory Joseph has a 2M option that has to be picked up in a month or so. Surely we're not going to pay this kid 2M...please tell me no!

Yeah, I hope Ayres plays well enough to crack the rotation. I think Bonner is useful in short spurts like in last year's playoffs. It's his contract that sucks tbh.

Not sure how I feel about picking up CJ's option. He still needs to prove he can contribute as a steady and reliable backup PG.

Spursfanfromafar
10-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Whoever the Spurs add as the 15th man in the next few weeks and into the early season, I am sure that would be a stop gap action.

The Spurs will most likely target the opening of the trade window post December 15th and maybe even till the waiver deadline in March to get a solid contributor to backup Kawhi. Most likely, they might keep their eyes open for the likes of Trevor Ariza, Vince Carter, and even Shawn Marion and the likes as the Wizards/Mavs and other teams teeter out of playoff contention.

purist
10-15-2013, 11:32 PM
I am not a scout but even I could have told you kabongo was not nba ready. Hell he was barely big 12 ready - just lookin for a quick paycheck like most rick Barnes recruits. Antithesis of coach k.

Darkwaters
10-16-2013, 03:30 AM
Bonner could be a very nice piece at the trade deadline this year. Hes a guy that can actually play and contribute for a team in the regular season - so hes no total dead weight. But he also is making a decent amount of money (which means we can get something respectable back) and expires at the end of the year. Bonner is a great guy to have this season.

mountainballer
10-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Bonner could be a very nice piece at the trade deadline this year. Hes a guy that can actually play and contribute for a team in the regular season - so hes no total dead weight. But he also is making a decent amount of money (which means we can get something respectable back) and expires at the end of the year. Bonner is a great guy to have this season.

right. I don't see the Spurs sacrifice their 1st round pick, so cap relieve will be the only teaser for a trade. Diaw is the other option, but at this point he is more improtant than Bonner.
considering the fact that Spurs won't take back players with a contract beyond 2015, we need a team that tries to clear cap space for 2014 and has an expendable player with a contract till 2015.
my best guess: Pistons and Jerebko. (contract similar to Bonner till 2015, Pistons just acquired Smith and Datome and also have Singler. Jerebko is the odd man out.) Jerebko might be more of a 4 than a 3, but he can play the 3 and most of all, he can defend the big 3s.

Darkwaters
10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
right. I don't see the Spurs sacrifice their 1st round pick, so cap relieve will be the only teaser for a trade. Diaw is the other option, but at this point he is more improtant than Bonner.
considering the fact that Spurs won't take back players with a contract beyond 2015, we need a team that tries to clear cap space for 2014 and has an expendable player with a contract till 2015.
my best guess: Pistons and Jerebko. (contract similar to Bonner till 2015, Pistons just acquired Smith and Datome and also have Singler. Jerebko is the odd man out.) Jerebko might be more of a 4 than a 3, but he can play the 3 and most of all, he can defend the big 3s.

Yea, that all lines up pretty well. The money adds up. The contract years are correct. And he plays the correct position. Plus, it'd be fun to add the Swedish flag to the collection we've got going so far.