PDA

View Full Version : With SF a big question mark, are we forgetting about the most important issue?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Getting a veteran point guard behind Parker? CoJo, Mills and de Colo still don't seem to be able to run a playoff offense... which means it will go to Manu. Releasing Kabongo was a bit odd to me, but I still think we need a vet back-up that can keep his composure....

Does this make any of you guys a bit nervous come playoff time (provided we make it in)

TXstbobcat
10-16-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm okay rolling with Joseph at backup PG.

monkeypunk
10-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm okay rolling with Joseph at backup PG.

As long as he's only on the floor with Manu or Beli. Otherwise, the offense will go down the shitter.

cjw
10-16-2013, 01:16 PM
As long as he's only on the floor with Manu or Beli. Otherwise, the offense will go down the shitter.

I think Pop will be smart enough to stagger minutes accordingly

Poolboy5623
10-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Atleast there are other pgs on the roster....the spurs literally have 1 Sf. I hope they have a plan, but doubt it.

Interrohater
10-16-2013, 04:25 PM
You can't have all-stars at all positions. Every team is going to have a weakness. Mills and CJ can do the job, especially when you're looking at them simply moving without the ball because Manu or Marco will be running the show. When Parker sits, one of those two will take over the 'initiating the offense' duties. It's not as big a deal as you may think.

Captivus
10-16-2013, 04:40 PM
I dont think that having a more experienced backup PG is important.
Spurs success next season will depend on the big 3 staying healthy and Kiwi playing a 30% (?) better.
If Beli and Ayres play 70% of what they can play, we have a chance.

lefty
10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
TP is a good backup PG, although Cojo has something to say about that

Now we need to find a starter

Bruno
10-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Spurs have a damn fine backup PG with Cory Joseph. He isn't flashy but he is solid in the mold of Earl Watson.

look_at_g_shred
10-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Spurs have a damn fine backup PG with Cory Joseph. He isn't flashy but he is solid in the mold of Earl Watson.
Just needs to be consistent and stay aggressive!! It seems like its all in his head right now.

Kool Bob Love
10-16-2013, 05:19 PM
TP is a good backup PG, although Cojo has something to say about that

Now we need to find a starter

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/325/591/2099738_crop_340x234.jpg?1314119740

ace3g
10-16-2013, 05:19 PM
CJ is also a good rebounder for a PG

ohmwrecker
10-16-2013, 05:39 PM
The Spurs are 8 players deep and that's a liberal assessment.

Brunodf
10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I think Pop will be smart enough to stagger minutes accordingly

Sure, just like in the finals, oh wait...

exstatic
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM

He will be. That's why they got Beli. He's to replicate the Barry role, and allow Manu to play off the ball sometimes without Parker on the floor.

Gagnrath
10-16-2013, 09:53 PM
8 Deep? Tim, Tony, Green, Khawi, Diaw, Bellinelli, Bonner, Ayers, Manu, Splitter is 10 legitimate NBA players at rotation player levels. I'd argue that anyone who is capable of playing Dwight Howard straight up is at least a legit back-up center as well so who knows how to rate Baynes. The Issue that I see is the spurs have a bunch of peices that don't really fit normal roles or complement each other well. It certainly appears that both Mills and Corey Joseph are good enough players to play back-up roles in the NBA, the question/problem is where. Joseph is essentially a point guard who is slightly to passive on offense, but above average on defense and doesn't turn the ball over. He's also got good though not great size for a point guard. Add in a strong work ethic and a good team guy it seems and wow he'd fit really well on a team with a prime Kobe Bryant or today's Melo. A pg who brings the ball up the floor and is more than happy to pass the ball to the teams key iso player then go play strong defense. Issue for the Spurs is he's not a spot up shoot for kick outs from Duncan, nor is he going to drive to suck the other team in due to being tentative. On the right team he'd be golden just not sure the spurs are it. There is also the chance that the kid finds his offensive game though he's starting his third year as a spur, he is still only the same age as a player who would be a college senior. Mills has a problem he's a fairly small point guard with a shooting guards mind and skills. He's actually got pretty good dribbling skills and is blindingly quick/ His drives toward the basket are quick, daring and fairly effective. Combine that with an outside shot that while a bit streaky is on par for a shooting guard and above average for a point guard.What he lacks are two things, first is defensive instincts, he doesn't get position, he doesn't seem to time his gambles, he doesn't know how to face guard and he's subject to being posted up even though he's not weak for his size. While his quickness helps mask this short coming somewhat he simply can't completely overcome it. He's also being pitted up against many other very quick players at his position, and can't cover most SG's due to his stature.He also lacks court vision and timing with passing. His inability to reliably initiate a motion offense causes him to appear ineffective at running the spurs offense.

On a team with a less motion based offense, mills could be a very effective pg, especially if they have a play maker at another position. It would also be possible to play him in an offense similar to the spurs at sg as long as you have a big point who can reliably cover 2s. In either case you are counting on his offensive ability to over come his defensive liability which is a moderately good proposition every night. Its not for lack of trying he is obviously giving the effort but some people are wired to only play one way well.

skulls138
10-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I dont think we need a veteran point guard. Parker is our best player and he's not that old yet so he's good for big minutes. Everything else Im willing to give to Joseph, Colo and Mills the rest with Manu as even another back up. Thats alot of parts to make up for not alot of minutes.

Anyways if those dont work its not if we cant do something during the season.

racm
10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I dont think we need a veteran point guard. Parker is our best player and he's not that old yet so he's good for big minutes. Everything else Im willing to give to Joseph, Colo and Mills the rest with Manu as even another back up. Thats alot of parts to make up for not alot of minutes.

Anyways if those dont work its not if we cant do something during the season.

Plus, the offense generates different looks with Parker sitting. With him, it's usually initiated through the loop, or a simple screen for a drive. Meanwhile the second unit features more post passing with Diaw and more swinging around the perimeter.

lefty
10-18-2013, 01:43 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/325/591/2099738_crop_340x234.jpg?1314119740
:cry Yes !

:cry 4th quarter hero in a title clinching game

Monkeyboy14
10-18-2013, 03:32 AM
What my boy TJ Ford doing these days?:hat

Godbama
10-18-2013, 04:13 AM
What my boy TJ Ford doing these days?:hat
I instantly thought of him too...damn you Baron Davis.

DrSteffo
10-18-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm happy Neal is not our backup PG (since he was a SG).

Raven
10-18-2013, 07:53 AM
the backup pg is cory joseph, no discussions needed. if he held his own in the last play offs (except the finals) i don't see a reason why he shouldn't be able to do the same this year. ah, and those thinking belinelli can play the point are, without discussion, retarded.

DPG21920
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I like Cory, I think he will be fine but he's wildly inconsistent still.