PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong wins 7th consecutive Tour de France!

GrandeDavid
07-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Its official.

I watched Lance win today. What a special moment I'll never forget. Being into biking (mountain) myself, not to mention being a long distance runner, I understand the tenacity and toughness one must possess to just finish such an event as the Tour de France, much less win it 7 times...after surviving cancer. Amazing.

Congratulations to Lance, his family, his fans, his countrymen...

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/oly/2005/0724/photo/lancey_skr.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2005/index

PARIS -- Lance Armstrong closed out his amazing career with a seventh consecutive Tour de France victory Sunday -- and did it a little earlier than expected.

Because of wet conditions, race organizers stopped the clock as Armstrong and the main pack entered Paris. Although riders were still racing, with eight laps of the Champs-Elysees to complete, organizers said that Armstrong had officially won.

The stage started as it has done for the past six years -- with Armstrong celebrating and wearing the race leader's yellow jersey.

One hand on his handlebars, the other holding a flute of champagne, Armstrong toasted his teammates as he pedaled into Paris to collect his crown. He held up seven fingers -- one for each win -- and a piece of paper with the number 7 on it.

His sixth win last year already set a record, putting Armstrong ahead of four other riders -- Frenchmen Jacques Anquetil and Bernard Hinault, Belgian Eddy Merckx and Spaniard Miguel Indurain -- who all won five Tours.

Armstrong's new record of seven wins confirmed him as one of the greatest cyclists ever, and capped a career where he came back from cancer to dominate cycling's most prestigious and taxing race.

Rooted on by rock star girlfriend Sheryl Crow, Armstrong's last ride as a professional -- the closing 89.8-mile 21st stage into Paris from Corbeil-Essonnes south of the capital -- was not without incident.

Three of his teammates slipped and crashed on the rain-slicked pavement coming around a bend just before they crossed the River Seine. Armstrong, right behind them, braked and skidded into the fallen riders.

Armstrong used his right foot to steady himself, and was able to stay on the bike.

His teammates, wearing special shirts with a band of yellow on right shoulder, recovered and led him up the Champs-Elysees at the front of the pack.

Organizers then announced that they had stopped the clock because of the slippery conditions with more than 10 miles to go.

Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhstan took to the honor of winning the stage on the Champs-Elysees, surging ahead of the main pack. He had been touted as one of Armstrong's main rivals at the start of the Tour on July 2, but like others was overwhelmed by the 33-year-old Texan.

In retiring after he stands on the winner's podium, against the backdrop of the Arc de Triomphe, Armstrong will manage a rare feat in sports -- going out on the top of his game. He has said that his decision was final and that he was walking away with "absolutely no regrets."

His departure begins a new era for the 102-year-old Tour, with no clear successor. Armstrong's riding and his inspiring defeat of cancer attracted new fans -- especially in the United States -- to the race, as much a part of French summers as sun cream, forest fires and traffic jams down to the Cote d'Azur.

Millions turned out each year, cheering, picnicking and sipping wine by the side of the road, to watch him flash past in the race leader's yellow jersey, the famed "maillot jaune."

Cancer survivors, autograph hunters and enamored admirers pushed, shove, and yelled "Lance! Lance!" outside his bus in the mornings for a smile, a signature, or a word from the champion.

He had bodyguards to keep the crowds at bay -- ruffling feathers of cycling purists who sniffed at his "American" ways.

Some spectators would shout obscenities or "dope!" -- doper. To some, his comeback from cancer and his uphill bursts of speed that left rivals gasping in the Alps and Pyrenees were too good to be true.

Armstrong insisted that he simply trained, worked and prepared harder than anyone. He was drug-tested hundreds of times, in and out of competition, but never found to have committed any infractions.

Armstrong came into this Tour saying he had a dual objective -- winning the race and the hearts of French fans. He was more relaxed, forthcoming and talkative than last year, when the pressure to be the first six-time winner was on.

Some fans hung the Stars and Stripes on barriers that lined the Champs-Elysees on Sunday. Around France, some also urged Armstrong to go for an eighth win next year-- holding up placards and daubing their appeals in paint on the road.

Armstrong, however, wanted to go out on top -- and not let advancing age get the better of him.

"At some point you turn 34, or you turn 35, the others make a big step up, and when your age catches up, you take a big step down," he said Saturday after he won the final time trial. "So next could be the year if I continued that I lose that five minutes. We are never going to know."

Jack Tripper
07-24-2005, 11:52 AM
congratulations to Lance

at least he didn't fall off the bike :spin

saspursfan4life
07-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Congrats to Lance

doubt that anyone will beat his amazing record

TheAdmiral#50
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Congrats Lance! You did your country and most especially TEXAS proud!

Texas: 7

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/you_rock.gif

France: 0

Clandestino
07-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I hope Vinokourov comes to Team Discovery next season... If he is picked as the team leader he would win the race.... Yaroslav is supposed to be the next leader, but I think he needs one or two more years til he is ready... Vino could win next year..

Slomo
07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Congrats Lance! You did your country and most especially TEXAS proud!

Texas: 7

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/you_rock.gif

France: 0

Actually when it comes to the Tour the result is:

France: 36
USA: 10 (Texas: 7)

ZStomp
07-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Tour de France is like Hockey to me....Who cares!

:lol

Slomo
07-24-2005, 05:18 PM

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/lol.gif

I kinda agree. But Lance's performance was/is exceptional!

Ginofan
07-24-2005, 05:34 PM
7 consecutive wins is pretty damn amazing, congrats Lance Armstrong!

N.Y. Johnny
07-24-2005, 09:29 PM

You must care, i've heard you screaming about how come everyone cares about this guy? and because he just rides a stupid bicycle
this guy is nothing special

:rolleyes

ZStomp
07-24-2005, 09:45 PM
;)

N.Y. Johnny
07-24-2005, 09:49 PM
;)

by the way Z,

Prince is Gay!

Horry For 3!
07-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Lance Armstrong owns! :elephant

Clandestino
07-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Actually when it comes to the Tour the result is:

France: 36
USA: 10 (Texas: 7)

TDF hasn't been big for the US till the last 25 years.. since then,

USA-10
Spain-6
France-5
Denmark-1
Germany-1
Italy-1
Ireland-

Slomo
07-25-2005, 12:17 PM
TDF hasn't been big for the US till the last 25 years.. since then,

USA-10
Spain-6
France-5
Denmark-1
Germany-1
Italy-1
Ireland- :) :nope
C'mon Clandestino, I can prove that Slovenia is second only to the US in the number of NBA rings, if I decide to only look at 2005!

Mark in Austin
07-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Skip Bayless whote a column for page 2 on espn.com HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050725&num=0) that while not a hatchet job manages to throw a wet blanket over the celebration. Here's what I emailed him:

Skip, you might be right in your Lance Armstrong column, but jeez. Let him bask in the glory of the moment for oh, at least a week before you start to tear him down.

You make very good points throughout your article, but it comes across as opportunistic; a "look at me" article designed to get you on morning shows and give you publicity.

Come on, man. Show a little class and dignity. You have years for this debate. Why start it up again two days after such an amazing accomplishment?

Yeah, I know. For you as a sports commentator any attention is good attention; and the fact I'm writing you is proof for your editors that at least I'm paying attention (this explains the Stephen A Smith phenomenon as well).

The question you have to answer yourself: is the added attention worth the loss of respect?

Clandestino
07-26-2005, 07:30 AM
:) :nope
C'mon Clandestino, I can prove that Slovenia is second only to the US in the number of NBA rings, if I decide to only look at 2005!

look at all the winners, up until 1970, it was mainly even Euros entering...

usckk
07-26-2005, 09:03 AM
I watched a sneak-review on how Armstrong and his team prepared for the Tour de France. Its amazing what all his team does. For example, 5 different companies come together to work on Lance's equipment, such as the bike, suit, and helment. This year Team Discovery's new equipment made them 3 to 4 minutes faster! Amazing.

CavsSuperFan
07-26-2005, 09:48 AM
I went to the lake yesterday...And swam for almost 15 minutes straight... So I also have a pretty good idea of where Lance is coming from....

I could have swum longer but I noticed the kids were drying off dangerously close to where I left my smokes... Nothing worse than coming back after a workout to a pack of wet smokes... That drives us athlete’s nuts... :smokin

Spurminator
08-08-2005, 03:48 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/07/22/early.lance/001088032.jpg

Insert prostate-related caption here...

Procrastinator
10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Way to go Lance!!

Drachen
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Way to go Lance!!

Ok now THAT's funny!