PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden held out of practice with swelling in knee

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-16-2013, 08:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9835679/greg-oden-miami-heat-held-practice-swelling-knee

Looks like we dodged a bullet.

:rollin

xmas1997
10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Uh oh.

PlayNando
10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
dood is done

Hoops Czar
10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
To be expected. His first contact practice in years.

spurs1990
10-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I like Oden. If anything good comes out of a 3peat it's him getting run.

exstatic
10-16-2013, 09:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9835679/greg-oden-miami-heat-held-practice-swelling-knee

It's not even remotely funny.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-16-2013, 09:54 PM
It's not even remotely funny.

My apologies for laughing. It really is not funny that someone is dealing with injuries trying to play the sport they love. I faced the same circumstances.

With that being said, what did this guy expect?

He has not been in the league for four years and he had all the opportunities to make a smart move. Popovich has preserved Duncan (who has had a bad knee for how long) for years. He could have not only become healthy without the spotlight around him, learned from the greatest damn PF of all time, yet he decided to go to the limelight and play for the champs instead of having a competitive drive of any sort, any thought process at all, and he's paying for it.

I'm taking this out more on his competitive drive and the bit of butthurt I have. But damn, dude. I really think Pop could have managed his minutes and helped Oden become a name for his on the court success.

look_at_g_shred
10-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Ok

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Ok

LOL seriously though. GTFO with that mentality.

Ice009
10-16-2013, 10:32 PM

I've already said what I think about Oden's decision choosing the Heat, and it is certainly NOT this.

Kool Bob Love
10-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Hey bandwagon fan Heattalk is that way ------>

TXstbobcat
10-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Really is sad. He could be doing serious long term damage at this point to his knees.

james evans
10-16-2013, 11:04 PM

miami signing him was one of the best things to happen in the off season. the past few years, the spurs front office has been doing a lot of dumb shit. they've got a history of dominance in drafting and signings, but the last few years, shit has been horrible.

trading for richard jefferson
giving splitter 9 million a year
resigning ginobli for anything more than 2 million a year
getting rid of jax to sign tmac(i know it was pop, but somene should have stepped in)
going after oden in the off season

oden is 1 hard foul away from his career being over for good. if he plays minutes the first few weeks ofthe season, he'll be out for the year by december 15th. i dont know what kind of drugs the spurs front office has been on the past few years.

exstatic
10-16-2013, 11:25 PM
miami signing him was one of the best things to happen in the off season. the past few years, the spurs front office has been doing a lot of dumb shit. they've got a history of dominance in drafting and signings, but the last few years, shit has been horrible.

trading for richard jefferson
giving splitter 9 million a year
resigning ginobli for anything more than 2 million a year
getting rid of jax to sign tmac(i know it was pop, but somene should have stepped in)
going after oden in the off season

oden is 1 hard foul away from his career being over for good. if he plays minutes the first few weeks ofthe season, he'll be out for the year by december 15th. i dont know what kind of drugs the spurs front office has been on the past few years.

Why are you still here? Shouldn't you be finding a better team with a better coach and GM?

lefty
10-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Spurs knew what they were doing IMO

Axegrinder
10-17-2013, 12:00 AM
+1 to poster that calls him walking windshield

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-17-2013, 01:31 AM
My apologies for laughing. It really is not funny that someone is dealing with injuries trying to play the sport they love. I faced the same circumstances.

With that being said, what did this guy expect?

He has not been in the league for four years and he had all the opportunities to make a smart move. Popovich has preserved Duncan (who has had a bad knee for how long) for years. He could have not only become healthy without the spotlight around him, learned from the greatest damn PF of all time, yet he decided to go to the limelight and play for the champs instead of having a competitive drive of any sort, any thought process at all, and he's paying for it.

I'm taking this out more on his competitive drive and the bit of butthurt I have. But damn, dude. I really think Pop could have managed his minutes and helped Oden become a name for his on the court success.

Pop is known for preserving the health of his players, not for miraculously healing dodgy knees. He couldn't have done anything for Oden.

HI-FI
10-17-2013, 01:47 AM
this.

good move by us to avoid this guy.

pookenstein
10-17-2013, 02:13 AM

How do you know what kind of minutes Spo was going to play Oden? And do you think Pop would have managed his minutes during practice? Held him out of a 5 vs 5 practice? I guess not? And since the swelling developed after a practice I think it's most likely that the swelling would also have happened had Oden signed with us.

Bruno
10-17-2013, 02:16 AM
Suck for Oden. I sincerely hope he would be able to have a successful comeback.

It's also time to wonder if all these knees micro-fracture surgeries that were done few years ago have made more harm than good. Doctors may have reached that conclusion when you see that less and less players are having that surgery. If I'm not mistaken, only Oden, and his already micro-fractured knees, got one in the last 3 years.

Spursfanfromafar
10-17-2013, 02:21 AM

It's also time to wonder if all these knees micro-fracture surgeries that were done few years ago have made more harm than good. Doctors may have reached that conclusion when you see that less and less players are having that surgery. If I'm not mistaken, only Oden, and his already micro-fractured knees, got one in the last 3 years.

You are right. The percentage of NBA athletes undergoing microfracture surgeries has gone down over the years. The percentage of those who have regained to pre-surgery form is also low.. and this is not just limited to the NBA. Even the MLB among others.

Raven
10-17-2013, 05:52 AM
always considered totally retarded the idea of signing him, i wish him the best though and if he can play 5 games and not need surgery or having his arthritis come back (not like it gets away anyway), than it's a huge win for him.

Raven
10-17-2013, 05:56 AM

not that it was a though call tbh

rjv
10-17-2013, 09:02 AM

micro-fracture surgeries result in replacing the original tissue with a different kind of, less flexible, tissue type. add that to the fact that he has hip problems and the result is a high probability of repeating injury.

Strategic
10-17-2013, 10:59 AM

:rollinNot sure why this post wouldn't get a person thrown out of the forum.:ban:

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Not sure why this post wouldn't get a person thrown out of the forum.:ban:

Sorry I made your pussy hurt bro

look_at_g_shred
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Sorry I made your pussy hurt bro
:lol

Strategic
10-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Sorry I made your pussy hurt broOuchy comes another inane post that boast your maturity level.

Darkwaters
10-17-2013, 12:42 PM
FYI, here is a good video of a microfracture surgery if any of you have ever been curious. The whole premise is to create tiny punctures to the bone marrow and allow it, and the new growth factors, flow into the damaged area and help rejuvenate the injury. Got to scrub in on a couple before - very interesting.

e4445PZ9V4s

Strategic
10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
FYI, here is a good video of a microfracture surgery if any of you have ever been curious. The whole premise is to create tiny punctures to the bone marrow and allow it, and the new growth factors, flow into the damaged area and help rejuvenate the injury. Got to scrub in on a couple before - very interesting.

e4445PZ9V4sThat sounds like a great procedure in theory. Do you know if there is a good success rate?

UZER
10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
micro-fracture surgeries result in replacing the original tissue with a different kind of, less flexible, tissue type. add that to the fact that he has hip problems and the result is a high probability of repeating injury.

Not sure that's micro fracture surgery your describing there.

dbreiden83080
10-17-2013, 05:13 PM
He was never going to play here or in Miami.. He rides the bench and maybe gets some mop up time even if healthy..

Kool Bob Love
10-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Greg Oden got a put back dunk tonight. :depressed

exstatic
10-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Greg Oden got a put back dunk tonight. :depressed

So fucking what? Call me when he plays 60 games again.

Kool Bob Love
10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4bPmxLX1hg

Hoops Czar
10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
He also turned the ball over twice and had two personal fouls in his one minute cameo appearance.

jeebus
10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
he moves like an 80 year old man

CitizenDwayne
10-23-2013, 08:31 PM

Russ
10-23-2013, 08:45 PM

He was never going to play here or in Miami.. He rides the bench and maybe gets some mop up time even if healthy..

I don't particularly like Oden as an individual, but I was hoping the Spurs could sign him.

It's one thing to root against his prospects (especially since he's with the NBA's lowest common denominator team [and Spurs conqueror], the Heat). I'm with you there.

But if you're saying you can tell he's a preordained bust, you're basically stating you can evaluate basketball players better than the Spurs' FO -- a losing position based on history if you ask me.

exstatic
10-23-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't particularly like Oden as an individual, but I was hoping the Spurs could sign him.

It's one thing to root against his prospects (especially since he's with the NBA's lowest common denominator team [and Spurs conqueror], the Heat). I'm with you there.

But if you're saying you can tell he's a preordained bust, you're basically stating you can evaluate basketball players better than the Spurs' FO -- a losing position based on history if you ask me.

Uh, the Spurs passed on him, so maybe they evaluated him the same as dbrieden83080.

lmbebo
10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Not sure that's micro fracture surgery your describing there.

Microfracture surgery entails clearing the overlying cartilage debris, if any, and drilling a hole into the underlying bone cortex in hopes that fibrous tissue grows into the hole.

One of a few ways to attempt to repair cartilage defects.

Another is a bone plug, but doesn't always work either.

Darkwaters
10-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Microfracture surgery entails clearing the overlying cartilage debris, if any, and drilling a hole into the underlying bone cortex in hopes that fibrous tissue grows into the hole.

Pretty much. I posted a video on page 1.

UZER
10-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Yeah, I was just saying what the other poster describes didn't sound like microfracture surgery.

Biernutz
10-23-2013, 10:59 PM
microfracture surgeries will only last a few years of hard use if then. Oden's doctors
told him to quit because his knees are so bad. I guess he wanted one more
shot at it, but yes we are "dodging a bullet" that he signed with the heat.
Greg is a nice guy but I now do not think he is worth a roster spot. Greg has
so little time on the court the last 5 years that he can't fall back on experience.
He needs to playto get real time experience but what is the
result of lots of play. Swollen knees ............

Uriel
10-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Uh, the Spurs passed on him, so maybe they evaluated him the same as dbrieden83080.
No, they didn't. The Spurs were one of Oden's biggest suitors.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9442649/miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs-five-suitors-greg-oden-according-source

Sean Cagney
10-23-2013, 11:50 PM
I mean he is 7 feet tall, hope he can dunk the ball down that low. I know some bum on our team fails to dunk it when he should but honestly thats nothing there.

Capt Bringdown
10-24-2013, 05:28 AM
http://blogatron5000.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bring_out_the_gimp_by_the_russian.jpg

Chillen
10-24-2013, 06:48 AM
He probably won't stay healthy, but I hope he does. With his size and wingspan it's ashame because if the guy had better knees, more experience he could truly have been a beast in this league. All Miami wants him for is to battle Indiana, Chicago, Brooklyn if he can manage to stay healthy. It seems like he is risking alot being out there and it takes alot to play the NBA at such a high level, nice dunk though.

exstatic
10-24-2013, 07:06 AM

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9442649/miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs-five-suitors-greg-oden-according-source

Yay. You can link to BSPN. Have a cookie.

Uriel
10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Yay. You can link to BSPN. Have a cookie.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--greg-oden-s-suitors-include-pelicans--heat--spurs--mavs-083310739.html

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/11/report-spurs-interested-in-greg-oden/

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/16/report-pelicans-move-onto-list-for-greg-oden-heat-spurs-still-front-runners/ (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprobasketballtalk.nbcsports.com%2 F2013%2F07%2F16%2Freport-pelicans-move-onto-list-for-greg-oden-heat-spurs-still-front-runners%2F&ei=SC5pUp7aGc2Nrgfcg4DICA&usg=AFQjCNEXzUrmxZBrG3HiofE4nZa-jd4hKQ&sig2=PN_ivNrnJomDo0h4gdRQLQ&bvm=bv.55123115,d.bmk)

http://fansided.com/2013/07/22/heat-spurs-co-favorites-to-sign-greg-oden/

monkeypunk
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Yeah, he passed on us. It was ultimately between us and the Heat and he chose the Heat.

cd98
10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Oden was a low risk, high reward because you could sign him for a minimal salary and write into the contract a bunch of escapes if his health didn't hold up. If he turns out healthy, it's a win anytime you can get a mobile 7 footer who can block shots and rebound (even though his scoring is not that great). If it turns out he plays 20 games and retires, the Heat are only out the 15th spot on their roster. Spurs would've loved to take that chance, but alas, Oden couldn't turn down South Beach. Can't blame him. Hope he can stay healthy, but I also root against the Heat, so hope he won't turn into a difference maker.

Raven
10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
it's nice to see him on the court tbh

Strategic
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Maybe the Heat can add Fab now. Oden and Melo can hold hands and maybe make a center?

TheyCallMePro
10-24-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm still of the opinion that signing Michael Beasley will come back to haunt the Heat MUCH more than signing Oden will.

At least Oden will be a good locker room guy. Beasley is a locker room cancer.

Raven
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm still of the opinion that signing Michael Beasley will come back to haunt the Heat MUCH more than signing Oden will.

At least Oden will be a good locker room guy. Beasley is a locker room cancer.

not sure you know who oden is...

exstatic
10-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Not sure you do. Spurs wouldn't have even sniffed at a guy who was bad in the locker room.

gee
10-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Greg Odom's been a scrub ever since his meltdown when the Lakers tried to trade his bitch ass. Who cares about his knee.

Uriel
10-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Not sure you do. Spurs wouldn't have even sniffed at a guy who was bad in the locker room.
:rolleyes

Biernutz
11-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Greg Oden was working out at the Hooters Bar while the Heat were playing were in Toronto
beating the Raptors. Guess they didn't need him as Chris Bosh missed the game for
his wife giving birth. He couldn't even suit up and wave a towel at the end of the bench.
We are sooo lucky we didn't waste a roster spot on him.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/11/06/greg-oden-was-at-hooters-last-night-while-the-heat-won-in-toronto/

Greg Oden Was At Hooters Last Night While The Heat Won In Toronto.

Chillen
11-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Greg Oden was working out at the Hooters Bar while the Heat were playing were in Toronto
beating the Raptors. Guess they didn't need him as Chris Bosh missed the game for
his wife giving birth. He couldn't even suit up and wave a towel at the end of the bench.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/11/06/greg-oden-was-at-hooters-last-night-while-the-heat-won-in-toronto/

So he wasn't at the game? even in the locker room? well I personally would rather be at Hooters than on the bench to cheerlead for LeBron James to but that's just me. The guy can have some fun once in awhile...he should have been at the game though, it's your job till they waive you. you signed a contract, your a Miami Heat, be at the games.

Darkwaters
11-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Greg Odom's been a scrub ever since his meltdown when the Lakers tried to trade his bitch ass. Who cares about his knee.

:hat

exstatic
11-07-2013, 08:10 AM

?? Oden hasn't played at all so far at the regular season.

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Greg Oden was never on the Lakers. Lamar Odom was.

gee
11-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Greg Oden was never on the Lakers. Lamar Odom was.

Was going to blue it, but i didnt think i needed to

xmas1997
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Was going to blue it, but i didnt think i needed to

:lol
Got you, it went over my head, tbh.

Biernutz
11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
?? Oden hasn't played at all so far at the regular season.

Greg is a member of the Heat....he played some in the pre-season and I don't think
that sitting on a bar stool at Hooters will work better for him then sitting on the bench some.
He has had the most of the last 4 years to go to Hooters. He just needs to show some team
support even it the coach says it's ok. That crap would not fly if he signed with the Spurs.