PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Recovery time for teams entering irrelevance

Katherine Robinson
10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
How long will it take these teams to recover from their current or looming irrelevance?

Lakers: Likely going to overpay Kobe Bryant another 3 years and will jump at offering players such as Carmelo Anthony asinine amounts of money. Suffering from poor ownership, but deep pockets.

Spurs: Their two greatest assets, Tim Duncan and Gregg Popabitch, are likely to exit their current roles in a few short years. How long will it take to fill these gaps?

Celtics: Currently rebuilding, attractive destination for free agents.

Thunder: While it might be foolish to consider the thunder irrelevant, ownership has caused much damage to the team which could push them to irrelevance by Durant's contract expiration. There is no telling what further damage Presti will do.

Pistons: :lol

ambchang
10-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Lakers - till Kobe is no longer a Laker, then another 2 or 3 years to rebuild. Landing Wiggins this year will change the outlook.
Spurs - Never, until they draft another Duncan, which will be never.
Celtics - 3 to 4 years
Thunder - Still on the upswing, provided they can keep Durant
Pistons - Until the city is no longer in ruins so that people would actually like to play there.

Katherine Robinson
10-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Fairly unbiased opinion, although I think the Spurs only need a handful of diamonds in the rough or a well timed tank job to recover.

spurraider21
10-17-2013, 02:15 PM
yeah, the Spurs have to be lucky and draft another legend at some point.

irishock
10-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Pistons - Until the city is no longer in ruins so that people would actually like to play there.

Wow. I wonder how we were able to keep Justin Verlander with the city in ruins.

ezau
10-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Not sure if Pop is serious about leaving the Spurs when Duncan retires. Parker is still in his prime and Kawhi is improving every year. When TD/Manu leaves, the Spurs will have enough money to enter the FA market. Actually, I'm just surprised that this team is still contending at this point.

DJR210
10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
LMAO @ putting the Spurs in the same world of shit as the Lakers.

Rogue
10-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I believe the Lakers will recover in no time and bounce back to the top flight immediately because Stern will always find a way to transfer the franchise player of another team to the Staples center.

Buddy Mignon
10-17-2013, 11:04 PM
I dont ever see the Spurs bouncing back after Jim. I mean its going on 7 years since you all have tasted champagne... thats unless you count Duncan catching the stream of champagne dripping Ray Rays nut sack during game 6. :lmao

Michael Jordan.
10-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I dont ever see the Spurs bouncing back after Jim. I mean its going on 7 years since you all have tasted champagne... thats unless you count Duncan catching the stream of champagne dripping Ray Rays nut sack during game 6. :lmao
JIM
http://lakers.topbuzz.com/gallery/d/291007-1/Jim+Buss+wearing+a+black+Laker+hat+in+2011.JPG

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Fairly unbiased opinion, although I think the Spurs only need a handful of diamonds in the rough or a well timed tank job to recover.

Ah, Spurs could tank and maybe get number 1, but the draft classes aren't stacked at all anymore, and the best the Spurs could do is Anthony Davis, which is damn good, but wouldn't get the Spurs back to relevancy. It's going to be dark for a long time.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-19-2013, 05:25 AM
And I didn't actually mean the Spurs acquiring Anthony Davis, just a player with the same potential and ability.

LkrFan
10-19-2013, 05:44 AM
:rollin :lmao :lmao :rollin

spurraider21
10-19-2013, 06:09 AM
JIM

:nope

Fredo

DMC
10-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Lakers - The huge TV contract the Lakers picked up a while back means they don't have to be successful in the post season to make big money. However they do need a dominant scorer to continue to attract the paying crowd who are more interested in associations with star athletes than in the game itself. So I'd say the Lakers recover as soon as Kobe retires since every dominant scorer in the league will see an open void they can fill and be instant 1st team all everything just through osmosis.
Spurs - They will continue to be playoff contenders for a few years, but after Duncan and Pop retire, it's going to be a few years of draft lottery. Fortunately they have a good eye for drafting not just the best available talent, but the talent best suited for their system. I'd say 5 years before they are in the talks again for later rounds in the playoffs.
Celtics - 7 years. They aren't that attractive as a franchise. Their history is great, but most athletes playing then won't ever have seen a Larry Bird game, and let's face it; the recent successes of the Celtics came from merc hiring instead of team building and solid play.
Thunder - After Durant, they are going to be New Orleans 2.0 for 8 years until they luck into a decent 1st overall pick
Pistons - I don't know if they ever recover

DMC
10-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Ah, Spurs could tank and maybe get number 1, but the draft classes aren't stacked at all anymore, and the best the Spurs could do is Anthony Davis, which is damn good, but wouldn't get the Spurs back to relevancy. It's going to be dark for a long time.

The abortion fad has really limited the talent present in the draft, that's for sure.

DMC
10-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow. I wonder how we were able to keep Justin Verlander with the city in ruins.

Who?