PDA

View Full Version : Roko Leni Ukic decides to sign with TAU instead of Toronto

Solid D
07-24-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.24sec.net/article.asp?index=2205
Spain - Roko Leni Ukic finally settled

By Fehim Babic
One of Europe's best young players, Croat Roko Leni Ukic, signed contract with Tau Ceramica. Roco was 41st pick in second round of NBA draft by Toronto Raptors. He was expected to sign contract with Toronto but he has picked Tau instead. Common comment among fans is that Roko has picked better choice by joining Tau, he will have opportunity to improve his game and physical condition, under less pressure, before he goes to NBA. It is rumored that Tau paid transfer fee of 700,000 euros to Roko's former club Split CO.

ace3g
07-24-2005, 03:59 PM
hope it is not a scola type contract

Solid D
07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Roko was the guy I was hoping the Spurs would draft at 28, before they selected Ian "who knew?" Mahinmi. I thought he was the best player still available after Garcia went to Sac at 23.

timvp
07-24-2005, 04:49 PM
He better have a very well written buyout clause, or he could have just ended his NBA career before it started. Sounds like Scola will have a very good addition to his team if he has to stay there.

I'm guessing this is why the Raptors are going after Calderon. I was wondering why they were going to sign Calderon with Ukic joining the squad.

P.S.

Oh yeah, nice find Solid D.

AlamoSpursFan
07-24-2005, 10:01 PM
hope it is not a scola type contract

:lol

I was thinking the same thing. After the Scola mess, why would ANYONE sign with Tau...

danyel
07-24-2005, 10:02 PM
:lol

I was thinking the same thing. After the Scola mess, why would ANYONE sign with Tau...

huh? because its one of the most important teams in Europe, and is probably offering him a very good contract?

AlamoSpursFan
07-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Ok, perhaps I should rephrase: Why would anyone with NBA aspirations sign with Tau.

Guru of Nothing
07-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok, perhaps I should rephrase: Why would anyone with NBA aspirations sign with Tau.

Why would anyone with NBA aspirations sign with Toronto?

AlamoSpursFan
07-24-2005, 10:36 PM
:lmao

Guru of Nothing
07-24-2005, 10:42 PM
I feel like a Cali volley balla with set-ups like that.

timvp
07-25-2005, 03:57 AM
Raptor pick Ukic opts for Europe
We were prepared for this, GM says
Toronto needs backup for Alston
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1122241808804&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

On to point guard Plans B and C for the Raptors now.

Roko Ukic, the 6-5 Croatian point guard taken 41st by Toronto in last month's NBA draft, has reportedly agreed to terms on a four-year contract with Tau Ceramica of the Spanish league, leaving the Raptors to scurry after a suitable backup to Rafer Alston for the coming season.

"We knew there was an offer out there, it wouldn't surprise me if he took it," Raptor general manager Rob Babcock said in a telephone interview last night. "It's not a bad thing overall, I would have liked to see him over here this year but we were prepared for this."

Ukic's decision is surprising given he himself told a Croatian newspaper last week he'd agreed to terms with the Raptors and would be in Toronto for training camp Aug. 1.

While no terms of the Tau Ceramica deal were announced, it's likely they offered him far more than the Raptors would have wanted to pay a second-round draft choice. Toronto will retain Ukic's NBA rights regardless of how long he remains in Spain.

"There are some advantages to coming over early (getting acclimated to the NBA style of play and getting used to teammates) but there are some advantages to staying over there, too," said Babcock. "He still needs some physical development, he could get 30 minutes (of playing time each game) over there where he might be getting 15 with us."

Ironically, one of the players most likely to replace Ukic in Toronto is the point guard he'll be replacing with Tau. Babcock said talks with Spain's Jose Manuel Calderon are "progressing" and it's expected a deal will be announced when the NBA's free-agent signing moratorium is lifted Thursday afternoon.

Still, the prospects of starting the season with only Alston and Calderon on the roster as point guards — no one is expecting veteran Alvin Williams to be fully recovered from major knee surgery to star the season — are hardly heartwarming to either Babcock or coach Sam Mitchell.

The general manager said last night he's got all kinds of contingency plans in the works, mostly because he knew Ukic was talking to Tau.

"We're going through several things, anticipating nearly every scenario, with Ukic and Calderon, with just Calderon," said Babcock. "We have Plans B and C and all those things are being considered."

Omar Cook, who had a brief stint with the Raptors at the end of last season, did little in the Minneapolis summer league to instill any confidence he could be a third point guard in Toronto last season.

And with Calderon, the starter on Spain's national team, having no NBA experience whatsoever, Babcock is likely looking at some veteran to make an offer to.

timvp
07-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Ukic screwed the Raptors. He probably knew about the deal before the draft. The Raptors wouldn't have picked him if they knew he'd sign a four-year deal with Tau.