PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: NBA's active leader in rings weighs in on his cold-blooded career

Arnold Toht
10-18-2013, 12:17 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20131016/kobe-bryant-lakers-si-cover-story/#ixzz2hxNymnaU

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/dam/assets/131015164451-kobe-bryant-selectable-single-image-cut.jpg

Highlights:

"I have self-doubt," Bryant says. "I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I'm like, 'My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don't have it. I just want to chill.' We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it. ... I don't know how I'm going to come back from this injury. I don't know. Maybe I'll be horses---." He pauses, as if envisioning himself as an eighth man. "Then again, maybe I won't, because no matter what, my belief is that I'm going to figure it out. Maybe not this year or even next year, but I'm going to stay with it until I figure it out."

Summer of 2004 and news breaks that O'Neal has been traded to Miami. This is great! Bryant thinks, the end of a tumultuous year in which he feuded with O'Neal, nearly signed with the Clippers and made court appearances in Colorado for a sexual assault civil case that was later settled. "Then everything sinks in, and it's like, Oh, no, now you better win or your whole career is basically bulls---," Bryant says. "Those last three championships you won will be meaningless."

Winter of 2010 and Bryant is preoccupied with the arthritic knuckle on his right index finger. He's constantly looking at it, talking about it, tweaking his shot because of it. "Why are you making such a big deal of this?" Vitti asks. Bryant silently stares him down. "Thank you," he finally says. "I needed that." He never speaks of the finger again. The Lakers win the second of their consecutive championships. Bryant, whom Vitti describes as "a McDonald's addict," celebrates by adopting a diet in which he eliminates junk food.

'I don't know how I'm going to come back from this injury. ... Maybe I'll be horses---.'

Clipper Nation
10-18-2013, 12:24 AM
^ That's not Derek Fisher....

Arnold Toht
10-18-2013, 12:26 AM
^ Nor will it ever be a Clipper.

Clipper Nation
10-18-2013, 12:34 AM
^ Certainly won't be a 1-timer such as yourself....

ElNono
10-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Snitching on Shaq was pretty cold-blooded, tbh

Buddy Mignon
10-18-2013, 02:24 AM
^ Nor will it ever be a Clipper.

Gotdamn... :downspin:

ambchang
10-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Tl:dr

1996 to 2004: coattailed
2005 to 2007: "led" team to lottery and first round exits.
2008 to 2012: coattailed some more
2013 onwards: irrelevance.

ambchang
10-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Tl:dr

1996 to 2004: coattailed
2005 to 2007: "led" team to lottery and first round exits.
2008 to 2012: coattailed some more
2013 onwards: irrelevance.

Michael Jordan.
10-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Snitching on Shaq was pretty cold-blooded, tbh

And snitching on Pau to Vanessa.

Clipper Nation
10-18-2013, 09:10 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175871

Leetonidas
10-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Thought this topic was about Derek Fisher tbh

Medvedenko
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Where's the Spurs players cover story?

Juggity
10-18-2013, 11:21 AM

They had one last spring/early summer. Tim Duncan had one last year.

ElNono
10-18-2013, 11:57 AM

If it's like this cover story, I don't want it...

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1695077/steve-nash-dwight-howard-si-cover.jpg

RD2191
10-18-2013, 11:59 AM
:lol

Medvedenko
10-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Fresh reference bro!

Arnold Toht
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OOZEH8YmBL8/Rk53XhWPLVI/AAAAAAAAAPY/PIVVC753FJ0/s320/tim+duncan+gay.jpg

Juggity
10-18-2013, 02:17 PM
If it's like this cover story, I don't want it...

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1695077/steve-nash-dwight-howard-si-cover.jpg

SI was right. I've never had more fun watching the Lakers than I did last season.

Rogue
10-18-2013, 07:15 PM
The pic of Kobe in the OP reminds me of this:

http://www.scarlett-photos.com/albums/Films/2003%20Lost%20in%20Translation/Stills/LostinTranslation-Stills_005.jpg

DMC
10-19-2013, 01:40 PM
"Maybe not this year or even next year, but I'm going to stay with it until I figure it out."

Kobe already setting up his excuse and exit strategy for the up coming season. What he means is that once the Lakers acquire dominant talent, he'll have it figured out again. at least he learned something from Phil Jackson; don't play unless you've got the best assets money can buy. Quit otherwise and come back when the smoke clears.

Katherine Robinson
10-19-2013, 02:05 PM
"Maybe not this year or even next year, but I'm going to stay with it until I figure it out."

Kobe already setting up his excuse and exit strategy for the up coming season. What he means is that once the Lakers acquire dominant talent, he'll have it figured out again. at least he learned something from Phil Jackson; don't play unless you've got the best assets money can buy. Quit otherwise and come back when the smoke clears.

A better philosophy than sitting out your best player when one stop is all that's needed to win a ring.

UZER
10-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Wow, this Kobe quote is a little eye opening. Yes, its a strategically placed "excuse" quote, but it kinda reveals even he has doubts about his ability to come back to who he was before.

DMC
10-19-2013, 08:54 PM
A better philosophy than sitting out your best player when one stop is all that's needed to win a ring.

They got the one stop. They just didn't get the rebound. They lost in overtime anyhow, and had another full game to win the ring (seems everyone forgets about that).

Katherine Robinson
10-19-2013, 09:56 PM
They got the one stop. They just didn't get the rebound. They lost in overtime anyhow, and had another full game to win the ring (seems everyone forgets about that).

You're ignoring the fact that their best player and one or the best defensive players in the game was sitting out the final possession. It doesn't matter if it didn't immediately cost them the game, it matters that it cost them the whole shabang. Perhaps one of the worst coaching mistakes ever made.

DMC
10-19-2013, 10:47 PM
You're ignoring the fact that their best player and one or the best defensive players in the game was sitting out the final possession. It doesn't matter if it didn't immediately cost them the game, it matters that it cost them the whole shabang. Perhaps one of the worst coaching mistakes ever made.

That best defensive player had overtime and another 48 minutes. Like any other game, you can break it down to single play and say the game hinged on it, but there were plenty of reasons the Spurs lost, and many of those reasons were decisions by players and coaches, not just shooting percentages.

Katherine Robinson
10-20-2013, 12:53 AM
That best defensive player had overtime and another 48 minutes. Like any other game, you can break it down to single play and say the game hinged on it, but there were plenty of reasons the Spurs lost, and many of those reasons were decisions by players and coaches, not just shooting percentages.

A number of mishaps had put the Spurs in the position for their coach to commit the greatest mess up in their franchise history. You see, turnovers and poor shooting is usually out of player's control, but Gregg had complete control over leaving Tim Duncan out when a stop and a rebound was required.

Deuce Bigalow
10-20-2013, 12:53 AM
"Gather all his touchstones, look at them together, and they can gird the greatest player of his time for the biggest obstacle yet."

DMC
10-20-2013, 06:44 AM
"Gather all his touchstones, look at them together, and they can gird the greatest player of his time for the biggest obstacle yet."

Gather my touchstones in your mouth.

Suspect
10-20-2013, 07:13 AM
look at kobe dressed in his black uniform getting ready for dat laker funeral this season

DMC
10-20-2013, 05:31 PM
look at kobe dressed in his black uniform getting ready for dat laker funeral this season

Except that yellow stripe should be down his back, with the natural one.