PDA

View Full Version : Church of Aron Baynes

Pages : 1 [2]

Darkwaters
07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
So we have 15 on the roster right now (including Bonner): http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

I too don't see a future for Ayers and Daye, but I guess the coaches see something in them that we don't, or management don't see the point in moving guys who should be capable of holding down the 14th and 15th spots. Probably does mean we're not doing anything with the MLE though, unless some of the young guys are assigned to the Toros. Anyone tell me the detail on how that works with roster limits at the start of the season?

Players on the Spurs who are assigned to Austin still count towards the Spurs 15-player maximum roster. In other words, sending someone to Austin doesn't free up any roster spots.

xmas1997
07-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Do the Spurs have 15 players already under contract, or is one of those Cotton's make good contract?
Because if so, then how can they honor Baynes qualifying offer without waiving and/or trading someone?

Baynes
07-14-2014, 10:29 AM
sup guys :hat

ChumpDumper
07-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Do the Spurs have 15 players already under contract, or is one of those Cotton's make good contract?
Because if so, then how can they honor Baynes qualifying offer without waiving and/or trading someone?Cotton's is only partially guaranteed. It's a fair bet he will be waived out of camp unless he goes Gary Neal in the next couple of games.

Poolboy5623
07-14-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm gonna join the club and be pretty bummed if Bonner and Ayres come back, but Baynes doesnt.

Mel_13
07-14-2014, 12:36 PM
So we have 15 on the roster right now (including Bonner): http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

I too don't see a future for Ayers and Daye, but I guess the coaches see something in them that we don't, or management don't see the point in moving guys who should be capable of holding down the 14th and 15th spots. Probably does mean we're not doing anything with the MLE though, unless some of the young guys are assigned to the Toros. Anyone tell me the detail on how that works with roster limits at the start of the season?

Teams can carry up to 20 players on their roster over the summer. They'll eventually sign a few more guys for training camp.

Must be down to 15 by the beginning of the regular season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd like to see Baynes back.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Players on the Spurs who are assigned to Austin still count towards the Spurs 15-player maximum roster. In other words, sending someone to Austin doesn't free up any roster spots.

Teams can carry up to 20 players on their roster over the summer. They'll eventually sign a few more guys for training camp.

Must be down to 15 by the beginning of the regular season.

Thank you both. :tu

We currently have 15 including Bonner, Cotton and Baynes' qualifying offer.

SpursFan86
07-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Thank you both. :tu

We currently have 15 including Bonner, Cotton and Baynes' qualifying offer.

Wouldn't we have 16 if we're including Cotton and Baynes?

Tim
Tony
Manu
Kawhi
Danny
Tiago
Boris
Patty
Marco
Joseph
Ayres
Bonner
Anderson
Baynes
Cotton
Daye

xmas1997
07-14-2014, 09:28 PM

Tim
Tony
Manu
Kawhi
Danny
Tiago
Boris
Patty
Marco
Joseph
Ayres
Bonner
Anderson
Baynes
Cotton
Daye

I don't think Cotton will make the team, he is destined for the Toros IMHO.

Taking it to the Hole
07-15-2014, 12:55 PM
It's looking less likely that Baynes will be back in silver and black. I still do not know why they fully guaranteed Daye's contract? That just made no sense. Maybe they thought he would improve in his second year with us? Baynes is only going to get better and the guy knows how to set a screen, unlike Daye and Ayres. Cotton is just training camp fodder. He hasn't shown me much to say he is worthy of a spot on our team so the smart choice would be to sign Baynes and call it an offseason. RC has said that in Patty's absence that other players are going to have to step up so it looks like he is going to trust COJO to start playing to his potential. Seeing as there is nothing worth pursuing in free agency anymore, the Spurs may be in a better spot not having to use the MLE this year. Makes next year a lot more flexible assuming Duncan does not want to play for a couple of more years.

Mel_13
07-15-2014, 01:08 PM
It's looking less likely that Baynes will be back in silver and black.

The Spurs have extended an offer. Baynes can sign it any time he likes.

SpursFan86
07-15-2014, 02:41 PM

tholdren
07-15-2014, 02:49 PM
If the spurs dont sign baynes, it would be a poor decision.

ironman2886
07-15-2014, 02:55 PM
:bang if spurs keep Ayres and Daye and lose Baynes.

Taking it to the Hole
07-15-2014, 03:40 PM
The Spurs have extended an offer. Baynes can sign it any time he likes.

Then he needs to get to signing! I would figure he would be a lock to re-sign but maybe another team is offering him more playing time, although I can't imagine who would be offering him that right now?

jeebus
07-15-2014, 03:58 PM

It's looking less likely that Baynes will be back in silver and black. I still do not know why they fully guaranteed Daye's contract? That just made no sense. Maybe they thought he would improve in his second year with us? Baynes is only going to get better and the guy knows how to set a screen, unlike Daye and Ayres. Cotton is just training camp fodder. He hasn't shown me much to say he is worthy of a spot on our team so the smart choice would be to sign Baynes and call it an offseason. RC has said that in Patty's absence that other players are going to have to step up so it looks like he is going to trust COJO to start playing to his potential. Seeing as there is nothing worth pursuing in free agency anymore, the Spurs may be in a better spot not having to use the MLE this year. Makes next year a lot more flexible assuming Duncan does not want to play for a couple of more years.
Brilliant :tu

Mal
07-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Tim
Tony
Manu
Kawhi
Danny
Tiago
Boris
Patty
Marco
Joseph
Ayres
Bonner
Anderson
Baynes
Cotton
Daye

Stacked

manufan10
07-15-2014, 06:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsnkgCMCEAAV4X4.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsngs2GCAAI5Wbv.jpg

xmas1997
07-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I think Baynes will re-sign soon, just my gut feeling.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Tim
Tony
Manu
Kawhi
Danny
Tiago
Boris
Patty
Marco
Joseph
Ayres
Bonner
Anderson
Baynes
Cotton
Daye

Yes, you are obviously right. I wonder who HoopsHype missed, because when I looked at their list it looked right.

Oh well, however this shakes out the Spurs know what they are doing - that was recently made abundantly clear to any who doubted... for the 5th time! :)

I wonder if Baynes is weighing up a big money offer from Europe? Or has some NBA team offered him 9/3?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2014, 08:36 PM
I think Baynes will re-sign soon, just my gut feeling.

He'll resign. I think the Spurs will go up to 2.5 mil to sign him. I don't see a team offering half that.

It will be Daye or Ayres off the team, no doubt. When I saw those two place in the Summer league, it was obvious to me the Spurs want to fight for a spot. So far, Daye is in the lead. Cotton really had done bad since that 1st game.

Still would like the Spurs get Marion. Spurs need another wing defender to spell Kawhi in the playoffs.

xmas1997
07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Cotton is destined for the Toros IMHO because his contract is only a "make good" contract.

BackHome
07-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Yeah both in the summer league you know that is not a good thing if you a vet and being "VolinTold" to play in summer league. To me no way can we keep Errors over Baynes and I really like what Green is doing I think he can play SF/PF.

Just offer Errors a assistant to the assistance coaching job.

ironman2886
07-15-2014, 08:42 PM
He'll resign. I think the Spurs will go up to 2.5 mil to sign him. I don't see a team offering half that.

It will be Daye or Ayres off the team, no doubt. When I saw those two place in the Summer league, it was obvious to me the Spurs want to fight for a spot. So far, Daye is in the lead. Cotton really had done bad since that 1st game.

Still would like the Spurs get Marion. Spurs need another wing defender to spell Kawhi in the playoffs.
I hope so. I wouldn't mind Marion if Daye and Ayres are off the team.

jeebus
07-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Just offer Errors a bullet and a gun.
FIFY

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2014, 09:46 PM
I very much hope Baynes re-signs - he's like a 6'10" wrecking ball and a puppy dog at the same time, and he's a more than adequate 4th big.

Kindergarten Cop
07-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Baynes will be back have no doubts about that...

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 07:37 PM
491379080550297602:cry

Spur|n|Austin
07-21-2014, 08:11 PM

:lol alrighty Quixem..

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure no NBA team will throw a stupid amount of money at him, but I'm worried about some european team throwing a bunch of money at him just so they can claim to have an NBA champion on their team.

Kindergarten Cop
07-21-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure no NBA team will throw a stupid amount of money at him, but I'm worried about some european team throwing a bunch of money at him just so they can claim to have an NBA champion on their team.

The only team that I'm really worried about is Atlanta, because of the coaching ties to Baynes. And the "stupid amount of money" is relative here, considering that $2M isn't widely considered as a "stupid amount" for an NBA big - but that amount might just put him out of the Spurs range (not that the Spurs don't HAVE that amount, just that they may not want to spend it on a 5th big).

jeebus
07-21-2014, 08:24 PM

:lmao another project spurs faggot; is there a worse Spurs fan site on the internet? can't take any of those queers seriously after the ball gargling they gave Ayres today.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
When Baynes was asked about his contract at Patty Mills' "Key to Canberra" ceremony the other day, he was coy and basically said that his management was taking care of his contract, but he did imply that he hopes to remain with the Spurs. Fingers crossed.

exstatic
07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
When Baynes was asked about his contract at Patty Mills' "Key to Canberra" ceremony the other day, he was coy and basically said that his management was taking care of his contract, but he did imply that he hopes to remain with the Spurs. Fingers crossed.

The QO is so small, it's not in Aron's interest to sign quickly. He has 39 days until the World Cup. AUS will likely have some kind of camp beforehand. If he hasn't received any offers by then, I imagine that he'll sign the QO before the AUS World Cup team camp.

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 08:50 PM
The QO is so small, it's not in Aron's interest to sign quickly. He has 39 days until the World Cup. AUS will likely have some kind of camp beforehand. If he hasn't received any offers by then, I imagine that he'll sign the QO before the AUS World Cup team camp.That sounds reasonable. Hopefully it happens.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
The QO is so small, it's not in Aron's interest to sign quickly. He has 39 days until the World Cup. AUS will likely have some kind of camp beforehand. If he hasn't received any offers by then, I imagine that he'll sign the QO before the AUS World Cup team camp.

Exactly. I think he's just waiting to see if he gets any outsized offers. I would hope the Spurs would match anything up to 2.5-3mil/yr given that we have plenty of space under the tax line.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2014, 09:10 PM
:lmao another project spurs faggot; is there a worse Spurs fan site on the internet? can't take any of those queers seriously after the ball gargling they gave Ayres today.

Mel_13
07-21-2014, 10:33 PM

July 23rd is the last day that the Spurs can unilaterally withdraw their QO.

FireMicoHalili
07-22-2014, 05:57 AM
yeah man their takes are weird

BackHome
07-22-2014, 09:45 PM
SIGN THIS MO FO!

FuzzyLumpkins
09-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Who was it that kept saying that because he had no public offers that he would never get more money? Baynes then signs on media day. Spurs don't work out in the open if they can help it. Let's see who has no clue about the Spurs organization:

Why would you give him 2 mil when you can have him for 1.1M? No one is coming in with another offer. Why would you bid against yourself?

Just don't agree. I don't find it plausible that he's sitting on a $2M offer from a team in Europe, and I don't see the current offer as penny pinching. He's a restricted free agent. It's up to him and his agent to generate an offer that the Spurs will either match or let him go. That's the nature of the business. As it is, he has a standing offer that represents a 41% increase in salary over last year. Not bad for a guy who played less than 500 minutes last year and was making about 150K when the Spurs brought him to the NBA.

I like Baynes, but there's absolutely no reason for the Spurs to increase their offer.

Duncan and Splitter are going to play the vast majority of meaningful minutes (and even more in the playoffs, obviously) against those and every other kind of center, though. If they need a third center for five mpg against Howard or whoever you want to name, in the playoffs, whether it's Ayres or Baynes isn't going to make a difference. You act like Ayres is Daye when it comes to strength.

It's not about the money, so much as it is the principal. You don't bid against yourself, especially for minimal talent, who's similar to a player already under contract.

he hasn't even gotten an offer. its not like if he was unrestricted he'd have significantly more offers :lol. RFA's worthy of contracts tend to get contracts if they want them.

Vacuum, basketball arena, etc. etc.

Another gem from ex reading the thread he is a fount of blasphemy.

The ball is in Aron's court. The Spurs can't force him to sign their offer.

cd approaches things as if what he wants and thinks is what the Spurs FO must think is best. :lmao :nope

I've seen nothing like that. I think peoples opinion of Baynes on ST is ridiculously high. He can become a solid backup center for the Spurs but thats about his ceiling in San Antonio. I've heard some laughable statements about Baynes potential.

If he returns on the cheap, then the Spurs are probably interested. If not then, they aren't going to torn up about losing him.

At this point, I just hope a decision in made sooner rather than later (October 1st) the Spurs are in a bit of a limbo with the 15 roster spot.

Here is a man with a clue:

I think this was Baynes/his agent's plan all along. Spurs would probably match a 2 million per year offer but I don't see them going north of that.

My faith was never caught half stepping and from the Throne of Banger I know that the heretics and apostate have tormented the faithful for far too long; they do not merit the grace of Baynes. Res sacrĉ, ritus, communio, crypta, potestas, prĉdia sacra, forum, civilia jura vetantur shall terminate forthwith. I declare exstatic, Mel_13, TD 21, spurraider21, cd021 excommunicate from the Holy Banger. Gone are they forever from the grace of Baynes. May they receive that which they deserve.

spurraider21
09-26-2014, 06:19 PM
If you've read my posts ud know I'm a fan. I guess that's asking too much of you

FuzzyLumpkins
09-26-2014, 06:20 PM
If you've read my posts ud know I'm a fan. I guess that's asking too much of you

What is a fan without faith? Shun the non-believer!

SupremeGuy
09-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I can't tell if exstatic was blinded by his Errors' love or was genuinely stupid on this subject?...

FuzzyLumpkins
09-26-2014, 06:38 PM
I can't tell if exstatic was blinded by his Errors' love or was genuinely stupid on this subject?...

It's a common mistake. It's confusing because it is both. They beget one another.

jeebus
09-26-2014, 06:39 PM
I'd say both. Even when he doesn't have Errors' cock in his mouth or his balls over his eyes, he has some awful basketball takes.

TD 21
09-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Who was it that kept saying that because he had no public offers that he would never get more money?

Where in my post that you quoted did I say or insinuate they'd do so? What I said was my opinion of what they should do and it hasn't changed, nor will it.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Ahh reviewing how wrong people were regarding the Baynes 'negotiations' underselling him.

Anywho Baynes is playing better and better.

Tony, Manu, and Boris are finding Baynes much in the manner that Oberto made his living from right at the rim. He is a good passer and Pop called on him to run a triangle look out of a set play with him in the high post, Bobo in the wing, and Leonard on the baseline where Baynes found him cutting inside for and easy dunk.

More importantly he more and more appears to be owning the offense and his role in it. He no longer looks confused as he moves around down low, into the post high or low, into horns, or for the pnr out on the wing or up top. He moves from spot to spot concentrating at the task at hand moreso than figuring out what task he is trying to accomplish like he used to.

He sets excellent screens that scrape defenders off Manu, Parker, and Cojo. Smaller guys like Jack and Williams are routinely taken out of the play entirely forcing immediate rotations for the defense. A guy like Manu feasts on that and Parker can just get to the rim. He takes pride in this task he likes to bang and grind. He will slip screens if guys get caught under him and try to take people for a ride. He leans, pushes, hipshchecks, shivers, and otherwise imposes his will onto passing bigs. His owning of the offense sees him on the lookout for such opportunities.

The next step in his evolution are finding the spots on the floor where he is finding himself open most often and practicing the hell out of a jumper from there.

His rebounding is limited by his hands which at this point can at best be described as average. He doesn't have the manual dexterity and large hands of Leonard and Duncan to tip the ball to himself as they do, so the ball will careen at times as he struggles to get a hand in. Some of this is due to him focusing on keeping a body on the oppositions top rebounders. He can be a bit overzealous yet he has improved noticeably in this area as he bangs then crashes the board fluidly instead of getting tied up despite inside position.

He sticks in his nose regularly on the offensive glass but much of those numbers are him gathering his own misses. He can finish with both hands but which hand and how to attack is still a work in progress. He has been shooting over 50% for the year to this point nevertheless.

Defensively is where he makes his greatest contributions. He was entirely too upright against the Kings a week or more ago and got roached on the pnr. He adjusted since with much better bend and he has been able to keep up with the lesser centers he has played. Cousins may be the best 5 in the league right now. He is now bending and sliding to do a much better job mirroring penetrators.

Most importantly, the man can use his size and length to protect the rim. The defense is designed to funnel penetration baseline and he more often than not is that weakside baseline rotation. He does a great job moving to each side of the key and up top outside the circle when they get middle. He forces a lot of bad shot as guys cannot get around him and I often find myself incredulous at low block totals on the stat sheet. He has fallen victim of foul calls seeing him going straight up and the offender creating the contact but for the most part he is not fouling on his rotations.

Overall he has settled into his role as the fourth big and getting 15-20 mins a night. In this role he contributes more than previous bigs particularly on the defensive end where Blair and Ayers have struggled to contribute. Pop is playing him in lineups with Parker, Manu, Leonard, Bobo, and now Duncan that are effective both offensively and defensively. His teammates are adjusting to him as he is to they and things are looking up for the Australian big man.

jeebus
11-23-2014, 08:39 AM
If he keeps pulling in his averages or more along with giving Jim 15 or so mins of rest, then he's easily worth the $2 million. He's gonna have bad nights where he has turnovers or misses shots or whatever but he's not Duncan, so there's no point in expecting him to be. What's also worth the $2 million is watching Errors' ball licker flail about night in and night out :lol

ceperez
11-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Ahh reviewing how wrong people were regarding the Baynes 'negotiations' underselling him.

Tony, Manu, and Boris are finding Baynes much in the manner that Oberto made his living from right at the rim. He is a good passer and Pop called on him to run a triangle look out of a set play with him in the high post, Bobo in the wing, and Leonard on the baseline where Baynes found him cutting inside for and easy dunk.

More importantly he more and more appears to be owning the offense and his role in it. He no longer looks confused as he moves around down low, into the post high or low, into horns, or for the pnr out on the wing or up top. He moves from spot to spot concentrating at the task at hand moreso than figuring out what task he is trying to accomplish like he used to.

He sets excellent screens that scrape defenders off Manu, Parker, and Cojo. Smaller guys like Jack and Williams are routinely taken out of the play entirely forcing immediate rotations for the defense. A guy like Manu feasts on that and Parker can just get to the rim. He takes pride in this task he likes to bang and grind. He will slip screens if guys get caught under him and try to take people for a ride. He leans, pushes, hipshchecks, shivers, and otherwise imposes his will onto passing bigs. His owning of the offense sees him on the lookout for such opportunities.

The next step in his evolution are finding the spots on the floor where he is finding himself open most often and practicing the hell out of a jumper from there.

His rebounding is limited by his hands which at this point can at best be described as average. He doesn't have the manual dexterity and large hands of Leonard and Duncan to tip the ball to himself as they do, so the ball will careen at times as he struggles to get a hand in. Some of this is due to him focusing on keeping a body on the oppositions top rebounders. He can be a bit overzealous yet he has improved noticeably in this area as he bangs then crashes the board fluidly instead of getting tied up despite inside position.

He sticks in his nose regularly on the offensive glass but much of those numbers are him gathering his own misses. He can finish with both hands but which hand and how to attack is still a work in progress. He has been shooting over 50% for the year to this point nevertheless.

Defensively is where he makes his greatest contributions. He was entirely too upright against the Kings a week or more ago and got roached on the pnr. He adjusted since with much better bend and he has been able to keep up with the lesser centers he has played. Cousins may be the best 5 in the league right now. He is now bending and sliding to do a much better job mirroring penetrators.

Most importantly, the man can use his size and length to protect the rim. The defense is designed to funnel penetration baseline and he more often than not is that weakside baseline rotation. He does a great job moving to each side of the key and up top outside the circle when they get middle. He forces a lot of bad shot as guys cannot get around him and I often find myself incredulous at low block totals on the stat sheet. He has fallen victim of foul calls seeing him going straight up and the offender creating the contact but for the most part he is not fouling on his rotations.

Overall he has settled into his role as the fourth big and getting 15-20 mins a night. In this role he contributes more than previous bigs particularly on the defensive end where Blair and Ayers have struggled to contribute. Pop is playing him in lineups with Parker, Manu, Leonard, Bobo, and now Duncan that are effective both offensively and defensively. His teammates are adjusting to him as he is to they and things are looking up for the Australian big man.

excellent stuff

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2014, 10:28 AM
excellent stuff

Awesome content.

Thanks

EVAY
11-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Extraordinarily well said.

Excellent analysis. Thanks.

boutons_deux
11-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I wonder if the Spurs staff is working with AB on his excess fouling, how much are the Spurs investing him AB.

Ice009
11-23-2014, 06:32 PM
how much are the Spurs investing him AB.

Well they paid him extra, so they'd like him not to suck. They need someone to step up and be the 4th big. You cannot ride Duncan all the time, they're supposed to be able to give him some extra rest during the regular season. The rest of the bigs have to stop being pussies and step up. If the guys on the team can't do it, then the Spurs need to find someone that can.

The Spurs need Splitter, but he just seems to get those nagging injuries which doesn't help at all.

I'm glad Baynes has stepped up a little bit. He's come a long way from a couple of weeks ago. He may not be great, but he's starting to help a little bit out there and not be a total liability like it looked like he was earlier in the season.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Well they paid him extra, so they'd like him not to suck. They need someone to step up and be the 4th big. You cannot ride Duncan all the time, they're supposed to be able to give him some extra rest during the regular season. The rest of the bigs have to stop being pussies and step up. If the guys on the team can't do it, then the Spurs need to find someone that can.

The Spurs need Splitter, but he just seems to get those nagging injuries which doesn't help at all.

I'm glad Baynes has stepped up a little bit. He's come a long way from a couple of weeks ago. He may not be great, but he's starting to help a little bit out there and not be a total liability like it looked like he was earlier in the season.

He had one bad game against the best 5 in the league. He can defend the rim and has been able to for some time. That is his money maker for all the ninnies waving at FG%.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-24-2014, 05:35 PM
I would also add that the way Popovich is playing Baynes seems to be what we are going with. He likes to keep rotations through injury so often you will see him start an end of the bench guy as opposed to changing the composition of the second unit and their rotations. We've seen Baynes be that guy and Bonner called to duty as well.

Playing him with Duncan against the Nets and having it work to the point that the Nyets went small to try and counter was a revelation. That was a very good defensive lineup for the 5 minutes it lasted.

Anywho, I do not see the 15-20 minutes Baynes has been getting reduced all too much when Splitter returns. I see those minutes coming out of Bobo and Duncan who both have played heavy minutes outside of garbage time with Splitter out. Tiago is likely to not see much more that 25 minutes a night for a long while.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Olynyk and Zeller are stiffs and he had little issue keeping up with the pnr and motion. He is getting very good at his defensive rotations, drawing charges, and overwhelming drives to the basket. He once again did not get credit for a block but he had Bradley toss up trash and allowed Leonard and Green to recover to block shots. He doesn't reach or extend anymore and is doing a much better job choosing his battles. He still is not getting any respect from the refs.

He sets some of the best picks in the NBA. While many other guys are much better on the move after, few are able to peel and flatten defenders as he can. He is doing a better and better job at sealing off help in space and running interference for ball handlers to trail. He got Danny Green a layup in transition that way. Cojo, Parker and Manu are routinely getting to the rim off Baynes pnr. They are also doing a better job getting him the ball and him finishing.

He is still rough playing horns and in the high post but they have now expanded the calls to include him there much more often; I expect this to improve much like the rest. He is also seeing a lot of minutes with Kawhi and they complement each other well. He clears out the chaff while Kawhi uses his better athleticism to secure the rebound. Cojo Manu Leonard Bobo Baynes seems to work well together.

I don't see Mills' return impeding much. If anything they have played together for years and have chemistry.

He still cannot hit a midrange jumper, needs to work on timing spacing and execution in the high post on both offense and defense as well as conditioning. He goes balls to the wall each and every of his 15-20 mins. Has improved markedly in shot selection, pnr defense and grasp of offensive system. Has been very good on defensive rotations, post defense and just generally being a physical presence on both sides of the court.

Bambililos
11-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I believe I'm getting the faith.

Mel_13
11-30-2014, 08:37 PM
He is doing a better and better job at sealing off help in space and running interference for ball handlers to trail. He got Danny Green a layup in transition that way.

That was a very nice play.

jeebus
11-30-2014, 08:55 PM
He still cannot hit a midrange jumper, needs to work on timing spacing and execution in the high post on both offense and defense as well as conditioning.

He hasn't tried it that much this year, maybe a few times; probably understands that he doesn't need it if he keeps getting passes in the paint. Besides, he doesn't need the midrange game if he's making lay ups and dropping bombs from downtown.

tbh his conditioning is made for his usual rotation with Jim so he goes balls out those mins. And since it's usually the end of a quarter and the beginning of the next, he has that in between time to rest. He played big mins in the 4th this afternoon because he was raping the Celtics in the mouth and Pop wanted Duncan to get rest for tomorrow. He'll probably never have the conditioning of Tim or Kawhi but that's fine. He is what he is.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-30-2014, 11:00 PM
He hasn't tried it that much this year, maybe a few times; probably understands that he doesn't need it if he keeps getting passes in the paint. Besides, he doesn't need the midrange game if he's making lay ups and dropping bombs from downtown.

tbh his conditioning is made for his usual rotation with Jim so he goes balls out those mins. And since it's usually the end of a quarter and the beginning of the next, he has that in between time to rest. He played big mins in the 4th this afternoon because he was raping the Celtics in the mouth and Pop wanted Duncan to get rest for tomorrow. He'll probably never have the conditioning of Tim or Kawhi but that's fine. He is what he is.

I'm trying to look at it from the vantage of weaknesses most likely to improve. His stamina has improved. He used to only be able to go a few minutes before having to come out.

I also note them using him in the high post more and once they figure out where they want him out there, he can focus on a jumpshot. He is not the talent that can shoot from anywhere but from a few select areas I can see him being very good. His FT% indicates ability. He has literally only taken a few dozen jumpshots in his career.

jeebus
11-30-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm trying to look at it from the vantage of weaknesses most likely to improve. His stamina has improved. He used to only be able to go a few minutes before having to come out.

I also note them using him in the high post more and once they figure out where they want him out there, he can focus on a jumpshot. He is not the talent that can shoot from anywhere but from a few select areas I can see him being very good. His FT% indicates ability. He has literally only taken a few dozen jumpshots in his career.
Playing for Aus over the summer helped with that. Since he was their main guy, he was playing 30 mins a game, more or less.

I remember him shooting it more last season and he was just ok at it, nothing great. Then again, none of our bigs really have that midrange jumper anymore. Duncan used to but it's gone to shit the past couple seasons. I really don't see Pop having him shoot the ball outside of the paint and would be surprised if he did; plus shooting the ball would fuck up his FG% this year, which is at 60%. :lol

BackHome
12-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Baynes I think has a very nice stroke it just it isn't needed which I am glad can't stand bigs who stand out and just throw up 3's. When Baynes shoots from the outside it looks like it might go in unlike Errors, Anderson, or Daye where they miss the entire basket he comes close and he hit his only 3 which he had good form on.

I love the fact that Manu started feeding Baynes when they started playing together and now you see Bobo and Parker starting to do the same....easy baskets..

ceperez
12-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Baynes I think has a very nice stroke it just it isn't needed which I am glad can't stand bigs who stand out and just throw up 3's. When Baynes shoots from the outside it looks like it might go in unlike Errors, Anderson, or Daye where they miss the entire basket he comes close and he hit his only 3 which he had good form on.

I love the fact that Manu started feeding Baynes when they started playing together and now you see Bobo and Parker starting to do the same....easy baskets..

I'll be ecstatic if Chip Engeland develops Baynes into a Kevin Love like shooter!

Beaverfuzz
12-01-2014, 05:56 PM
All loaded up tonight to pray at the church of Baynes.

Beaverfuzz
12-01-2014, 09:31 PM
15 points for church of Baynes. BOW DOWN AT THE ALTAR BITCHES!

dabom
12-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Remember when people said errors was better than baynes? :lol

BackHome
12-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Remember when people said errors was better than baynes? :lol

Really people said that? Well who ever said that needs their man card pulled and for the love of god don't have kids cause your fucking up the Gene pool.

dabom
12-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Really people said that? Well who ever said that needs their man card pulled and for the love of god don't have kids cause your fucking up the Gene pool.

:lmao

TampaDude
12-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Baynes is dat guy...I'm on the bandwagon...g'day, mate!

wildbill2u
12-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Baynes is a throwback to the old school where if you pick off or foul someone, you pick him or foul him hard. Seems like every game there's some poor bastard rolling around on the floor from a foul or a hard pick.

I haven't seen that style of play on the Spurs since the Bruise Brothers of the 70s. Ya gotta love the Big Banger.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-19-2015, 01:10 AM
Baynes is back to his 15-20 mpg these past couple of games. The shooting stroke he showed in the early part of the season has disappeared but he is doing much better on the glass. Utah was sending 2 and 3 guys to him to block him out which hampers any break. He managed to grab a few offensive boards amongst his 11 overall. He gets to the line at a good pace as well.

He is still fouling too much but in his slot who cares. I am curious to see how they call him in the playoffs.

downunder
01-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Was not going to comment on Baynes as I have observed his growing education as an NBA centre because in simple terms he has a lot to learn. He is raw. He needs a few more years to graduate and Spurs and fans need to be patient. His education as a centre is old style filling a lane and he should be used like Chicago used Longley. He is not a shooter. He is an enforcer with a limited shot range in the paint. Finally he is a genuinely nice guy off the court without an attitude like some.

jeebus
01-19-2015, 05:57 PM
If his playing helps keep Jim under 30 mpg and isn't a complete Error on the court, then that's all he needs to be. He's done that this season and has had more good games than bad.

ElNono
01-20-2015, 11:40 PM
I thought he was fantastic tonight. Really earning his salary out there. :tu

TheGreatYacht
01-21-2015, 01:09 AM
15min, 15pts! Underrated as usual

spurraider21
01-21-2015, 01:13 AM
I thought he was fantastic tonight. Really earning his salary out there. :tu
:cry i'm still upset we bid against ourselves

benfti
01-21-2015, 02:08 AM
How this thread is not called house of Baynes is a serious oversight

FuzzyLumpkins
01-21-2015, 02:42 AM
How this thread is not called house of Baynes is a serious oversight

pfffft

Ice009
01-21-2015, 04:44 AM
Great game from him tonight. He earned every cent of his salary tonight.

Nero5
01-21-2015, 04:56 AM
yep well worth the money. GREAT foul shooting. I love a big guy that can shoot from the foul line - the anti-shaq!

Nero5
01-21-2015, 04:57 AM
:cry i'm still upset we bid against ourselves

enjoy the moment - the spurs are getting their money's worth and RC and Pop would be very happy about it.

MI21
01-21-2015, 05:33 AM
He is very useful in his current role. It would be great if he could increase his tank which would allow him to play 25-30MPG in games where TD is rested. You can still see him trying to catch his wind up and down the court after 5-6 minute stints.

Nero5
01-21-2015, 05:55 AM
takes energy to move mass.

cd021
01-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing him back as Splitters backup but that may be hard to due this off season.

TampaDude
01-21-2015, 04:02 PM
3 for 3 from the field and 9 for 9 from the stripe last night! Aron "Dirk" Baynes, bitches! :lol

wildbill2u
01-21-2015, 04:30 PM
He didn't have a great stat on rebounds last night--but he was working his ass off in the lane and keeping the ball bouncing up for a tip to teammates. And he's pretty cool at the end of games from the FT line.

NOT to mention that occasionally you see opponent bodies all over the floor and you just know the Big Banger rolled through. :ihit

Nero5
01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
working like that means that the opposition has to work hard to contain the threat, if not the actuality of him rebounding. This not only frees up others to get boards, but also tires out the opposition bigs so that when timmy comes back in he has slightly less opposition

jeebus
01-21-2015, 04:59 PM
http://streamable.com/d5d

wildbill2u
01-21-2015, 07:08 PM
working like that means that the opposition has to work hard to contain the threat, if not the actuality of him rebounding. This not only frees up others to get boards, but also tires out the opposition bigs so that when timmy comes back in he has slightly less opposition

Good point. Baynes is often beating up on the other team's starters when they stay in the game for lots of minutes that are typical for most teams. Gives Baynes a chance to soften them up.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-21-2015, 07:29 PM
He didn't have a great stat on rebounds last night--but he was working his ass off in the lane and keeping the ball bouncing up for a tip to teammates. And he's pretty cool at the end of games from the FT line.

NOT to mention that occasionally you see opponent bodies all over the floor and you just know the Big Banger rolled through. :ihit

When he floored Faried and he was slow to get up, I was nodding my head saying, 'Aron is out there doing work.' He isn't a straight up goon like a Danny Ferry or Kermit Washington but he knocks people on their ass every game with a brand of physicality not often seen in today's modern pussyball.

Nero5
01-21-2015, 10:39 PM
It is a useful talent in a team not noted for physical play. As you note he is not stupid about it, does not mouth off or showboat, which diffuses some of the potential confrontation that might otherwise occur. Funnily enough you often only realise how physical is is when you watch the slow motion. I loved his sprint down the middle for the manu pass because of the reaction of the opposition. Sure it wasn't a facial dunk, but it was clearly frustrating and the opposition then have to expend a lot of energy to stop the next one. This is more of arons work.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-07-2015, 05:15 PM
After the 2/7 Miami game where Baynes was 2-2 on midrange jumpers Pop was asked whether Aron had the green light to shoot from out there. Pop replied, "I don't know what you mean by long jumpshots but he can hit the midrange. I think he can hit the three too but we're not there . . . well I'm not there yet."

The pick and pop needs to be added to his game. They run the pnr out of the same spots on the floor and teams are cheating inside to cut off his roll and interfere with the pass. It will be open a lot.

Appears that Pop is expanding his role. I dont' pay attention to how many minutes he is playing. He has been locked in at 15-20 mpg since the beginning of the year. Pop is adamant about that number too as you will see Diaw and Ayers or funky 4 guard lineups in during garbage time if Baynes starts creeping to 25 min. OTOH, he has been playing a lot with obviously Manu and a bit surprisingly Leonard since the beginning. What has changed recently is him playing with the rest of the starters. He is getting a lot of floor time with Duncan and now Parker. He started with a 100% healthy roster last night. Still only played 20 mpg.

You see Duncan in his ear a lot. Baynes will make short statements and do most of his time listening. He is not trusted yet at the end of games when it is close.

His conditioning is better but he still at times will get gassed. Interesting to see if he can continue to progress here. He still plays balls to the wall seek out and destroy the competition. Others are noticing. He has flattened enough perimeter types that you see a lot of them defer rebounds and get out of the way of cuts.

He is still fouling a lot but it is improving on the pnr. Before he was fouling on pnr going out to hedge. Now he has it down and the refs whistles have stopped. He is becoming VERY good on the perimeter. His hedges stop playside penetration and smother any pass back. What has really impressed me is his ability to swing his hips when he gets switched onto a guard iso. If they cross you over you have to turn your hips and he is able to do that and move his feet to stay in position to cover the rim with his playside hand. He's not Tiago in this regard but he is not far off and getting better.

Most of his fouls are coming off of illegal screens and rotations. The refs are respecting verticality if he moves his feet well. He doesn't defer anything though. He tries to get creative at times on his screens by adding a forearm or the like. The way he plays if he averages 5 fouls per 36 who cares because he only sees half that. he ends up forcing a lot of misses and tough shots when one of our guards gets rubbed out by a pick.

Things are looking up since he recovered from his neck injury.

BOHOLANO#21
02-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Looks like the Big Banger will be part of the "bigs" rotation towards the stretch run. He has more offensive moves than Splitter and his mid range shots looks reliable! Hopefully he will continue to improve much like how Splitter got the thrust of Pop by playing pretty consistently well.

tim_duncan_fan
02-07-2015, 11:46 PM
After the 2/7 Miami game where Baynes was 2-2 on midrange jumpers Pop was asked whether Aron had the green light to shoot from out there. Pop replied, "I don't know what you mean by long jumpshots but he can hit the midrange. I think he can hit the three too but we're not there . . . well I'm not there yet."

The pick and pop needs to be added to his game. They run the pnr out of the same spots on the floor and teams are cheating inside to cut off his roll and interfere with the pass. It will be open a lot.

Appears that Pop is expanding his role. I dont' pay attention to how many minutes he is playing. He has been locked in at 15-20 mpg since the beginning of the year. Pop is adamant about that number too as you will see Diaw and Ayers or funky 4 guard lineups in during garbage time if Baynes starts creeping to 25 min. OTOH, he has been playing a lot with obviously Manu and a bit surprisingly Leonard since the beginning. What has changed recently is him playing with the rest of the starters. He is getting a lot of floor time with Duncan and now Parker. He started with a 100% healthy roster last night. Still only played 20 mpg.

You see Duncan in his ear a lot. Baynes will make short statements and do most of his time listening. He is not trusted yet at the end of games when it is close.

His conditioning is better but he still at times will get gassed. Interesting to see if he can continue to progress here. He still plays balls to the wall seek out and destroy the competition. Others are noticing. He has flattened enough perimeter types that you see a lot of them defer rebounds and get out of the way of cuts.

He is still fouling a lot but it is improving on the pnr. Before he was fouling on pnr going out to hedge. Now he has it down and the refs whistles have stopped. He is becoming VERY good on the perimeter. His hedges stop playside penetration and smother any pass back. What has really impressed me is his ability to swing his hips when he gets switched onto a guard iso. If they cross you over you have to turn your hips and he is able to do that and move his feet to stay in position to cover the rim with his playside hand. He's not Tiago in this regard but he is not far off and getting better.

Most of his fouls are coming off of illegal screens and rotations. The refs are respecting verticality if he moves his feet well. He doesn't defer anything though. He tries to get creative at times on his screens by adding a forearm or the like. The way he plays if he averages 5 fouls per 36 who cares because he only sees half that. he ends up forcing a lot of misses and tough shots when one of our guards gets rubbed out by a pick.

Things are looking up since he recovered from his neck injury.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241144&page=3&p=7679848&viewfull=1#post7679848

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Baynes saw his first close and late scenario of the season and comes up in the clutch with a key offensive board and put back to tie the score with under a minute to play. Bellinelli came through huge to seal the deal but the coaching staff's trust in Baynes is expanding game by game.

Harlem keeps asserting that he is poor on defense but he frustrated West and again showed feet that belie his size out on the perimeter. The man just does not back down.

Short minutes as he was held off the court in the first half but came up with 4 points 3 boards and the a team high +11 in his baker's dozen.

jeebus
02-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Harlem keeps asserting that he is poor on defense but he frustrated West and again showed feet that belie his size out on the perimeter. The man just does not back down.
Well, at least his defense doesn't consist of standing there like a sissy cuck then clapping his hands in a forceful manner when the opposing player blows by him, like a certain Penderfag does. Uh huh!

wildbill2u
02-10-2015, 12:28 AM
BAynes playing in crunch time, especially in the crucial last seconds alongside Tim shows Pop is gaining confidence in the Big Banger. He puts in a lot of energy when on the court, kinda like Patty in that regard.

BOHOLANO#21
02-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Great game so far for the Big Banger!

TheGreatYacht
02-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Starters are looking better with him out there

FuzzyLumpkins
02-11-2015, 10:27 PM
When Harlem and his alts start claiming that Baynes cannot play defense, we can be secure in our knowledge that his basketball acumen is complete and utter shit.

benfti
02-11-2015, 10:34 PM
I saw him box out 2 guys at one time, and they could not get round. LOL

Legacy
02-11-2015, 10:38 PM
The Big Banger looking totally boss out there against those Detroit monsters. :ihit

BackHome
02-12-2015, 12:10 AM
I like the move where Kawhi drives to the basket and then dumps the ball to Baynes for a easy mid range shot. For a big his free throws and mid range shooting is pretty damn good..

Nero5
02-12-2015, 12:25 AM
It's the protection role that is important. We do not want tim going against Drummond et al through a season as he will not survive for playoffs in a viable state

jeebus
02-12-2015, 04:19 PM
The Big Banger looking totally boss out there against those Detroit monsters. :ihit

He didn't play the first game against the Pistons; that was Errors' :cry break out game :cry, where he scored some points but got raped on defense/rebounds like Marsellus Wallace in the basement.

:lol

ElNono should get in here and defend his boy penderfag.

ElNono
02-12-2015, 05:52 PM
He didn't play the first game against the Pistons; that was Errors' :cry break out game :cry, where he scored some points but got raped on defense/rebounds like Marsellus Wallace in the basement.

:lol

ElNono should get in here and defend his boy penderfag.

:lol wtf are you talking about, I've always been a fan of Baynes... was saying he was worth the money when people wanted to let him walk coz :cry he wants $2m :cry

and lol @ PJ with "Baynsie"

TD 21
02-12-2015, 06:36 PM
I find it interesting that Pop has seemingly gone out of his way to compliment him lately, even going to far as to say (to paraphrase) that he's a very good mid ranger shooter and could probably shoot threes, at this point.

Between that and him defending some PF's recently, I'm no longer convinced Splitter not starting is to send a message to him, but rather to find out if Baynes can essentially play PF on both sides of the ball. This would allow for two things: 1) A semblance more spacing in the starting lineup, which is desperately needed with Duncan essentially abandoning mid rangers, 2) Splitter off the bench means having a true defensive anchor for 48 minutes. Also, it would allow him to play with Ginobili more, whom he has outstanding pick and roll chemistry with.

It probably won't last, but it is worth a look.

Nero5
02-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Baynes has a hardness to him that Splitter, for all of his good points, does not have and I would suggest that this is useful in some circumstances. At this point in the season it is also good time to develop game skills and working relationships - you can afford to take the risk and protect the older fragile guys. There is also the element that depth adds load to the opposition: People know that Splitter will not shoot a mid range shot well - so if your guarding the 5 against the spurs you did not have to work that hard to move around/out you had to sag off for the roll. If pop has the option of working a rotation between those two then the opposition has to accommodate that into their game plan and the defense as a whole has to work harder

FuzzyLumpkins
02-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Tony doesn't trust passing him the ball on pnr yet. Those two are still a work in progress. The last month is the first time Baynes has had a chance to play significant minutes with Tim and Tony. This should improve.

jeebus
02-13-2015, 10:27 AM
:lol wtf are you talking about, I've always been a fan of Baynes... was saying he was worth the money when people wanted to let him walk coz :cry he wants $2m :cry

and lol @ PJ with "Baynsie"

imo your Big Banger Bandwagon Card was revoked when you made this disgusting comment:

He played well again, tbh... didn't miss Baynes at all

Pop calls him Baynsie as well, I think...

Horse
02-13-2015, 01:32 PM
A 4/5 with a reliable jumper would be huge for us.

ElNono
02-13-2015, 03:09 PM
imo your Big Banger Bandwagon Card was revoked when you made this disgusting comment:

:lol he was pretty good, tbh

Malik Hairston
02-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Baynes saw his first close and late scenario of the season and comes up in the clutch with a key offensive board and put back to tie the score with under a minute to play. Bellinelli came through huge to seal the deal but the coaching staff's trust in Baynes is expanding game by game.

Short minutes as he was held off the court in the first half but came up with 4 points 3 boards and the a team high +11 in his baker's dozen.

I don't think I have ever stated an opinion about Baynes's defense:lol..

Just a month ago, I said I didnt mind him as a 4th big, tbh..

SpursFan86
02-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Baynes is definitely questionable on defense. He's been mediocre at best this year on that end. He's had moments where he's looked good (or even great), but as a whole he hasn't been a good defender.

That being said, expecting your 4th big to be some great all-around player is unrealistic. Baynes is perfectly fine in his current role.

Nero5
02-17-2015, 07:05 AM
The questionable bit depends on who it is he has to guard - the current Howard he is in trouble, Adams and some others no problem

BOHOLANO#21
02-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Big Banger is ballin!

BillMc
02-28-2015, 10:19 PM
He's got a nice touch at the line.

ceperez
07-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Signed with Pistons: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238565/Aron-Baynes-Pistons-Agree-Upon-Three-Year-Deal

Great Spurs career... will be missed.

Biernutz
07-14-2015, 01:32 AM
I didn't see this posted about Aron.....He had to delay his welcome presser because
he was still messed up fro his stress test physical. Baynes had surgery on his ankle
and could not go on the treadmill. To get his pulse and blood pressure up they inject you
with a a drug that will raise them so they can check your heart. He had a reaction to the drug
and it made him dozy so the cancelled the presser.

Nero5
07-14-2015, 05:27 AM
Good on him, played hard, developed and got a big payday. I expect that he will keep his effort high and will have a chance to play where he is and will give good quality minutes.

playblair
05-12-2016, 04:53 PM
big baynger is the missing piece vs kanter & adams...................

Drom John
01-27-2022, 10:20 AM
The mysterious fall and harrowing story of an NBA center (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33153946/the-mysterious-fall-harrowing-story-nba-center)

rjv
01-27-2022, 10:58 AM
wow. what an odd way to injure his neck. so glad that he is on the mend. i had no idea what had happened to him. and lol at Dellavedova and Sobey posing as doctors.

John B
01-27-2022, 10:59 AM
The mysterious fall and harrowing story of an NBA center (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33153946/the-mysterious-fall-harrowing-story-nba-center)

Thank you for sharing. I didn’t know what happened to him except he was injured to finish the Oympics. Reading through I was hoping for the best. He’s such a great character. I’m rooting for him to get back.

Harry Callahan
01-27-2022, 12:58 PM
AB was in a very serious medical situation. The C19 medical restrictions in Japan did not help last summer.

Thankfully he'll eventually be OK. Hope he can play next year.

absoloot66
01-27-2022, 01:11 PM

It's so strange - just last night I was watching the game & out of the blue I wondered "what the heck happened to Big Banger"? Was gonna Google to find out if he was still in the League, but got distracted. Timely update for me - Thanks.

couchman
01-27-2022, 01:34 PM
Wow, talk about putting things in perspective. I'm glad he is recovering

SPURt
01-27-2022, 01:37 PM
All that happened from a slip that causes internal bleeding to put pressure on his spine? Dang. Baynes went from a one dimensional brute of center and was one of the few guys to evolve and be a great role player. I hope he gets one last run in the league.

DMC
01-27-2022, 10:53 PM
It'd be nice if he could return to the game but I just hope he remains healthy to enjoy his life. You shouldn't be a vegetable while having that much bank, don't be an idiot Baynsie.