PDA

View Full Version : Church of Aron Baynes

Pages : [1] 2

FuzzyLumpkins
10-18-2013, 07:16 AM
The man is a revelation. I am your deacon.

Has range on his jumper to about 15 feet. Can shoot a over the top hook with both his left and right hand. Seen beating guys like Al Horford off the dribble. Sets picks that take on the ball defenders completely out of plays. Improving on his rolls to the basket as demonstrated by his recent game winner.

Shown multiple times to come through in the clutch. The man is money.

Physically dominating on the rebound. Shows great effort to difference-making effect crashing the offensive glass. Will challenge all comers and makes many a 4 go beta.

Challenges attempts above the rim. Forces dribble outs and pull up jumpers on rotations to shut off drives. Uses length to double and recover when zoning pnr.

Allows Splitter and Duncan to play more at the 4 and of course more Baynes means less Bonner.

Whats not to love?

Collection plate is going round and remember it's better if it folds.

Captivus
10-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Is there any chance he plays with TD and Tiago plays in the second unit, doing P&R with Manu and Beli?
He is stronger than Tiago and maybe he can do the fighting for rebounds and let TD be more of a scorer.
But then again...the second unit will not get a rebound with Tiago and...Diaw?

How important is to have a big man that can score!!

txstr1986
10-18-2013, 10:20 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvgoi7mkmp1qdlkgg.gif

moisaenz
10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
hopefully pop doesnt make the same mistake he did with tiago..

Budkin
10-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Baynes shitting all over the haters at SpursTalk. I love it.

boutons_deux
10-18-2013, 12:28 PM
I'd love to see Aron stuff LBJ and knock him hard on his ass, "going for the ball" :lol

timtonymanu
10-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Anything is better than Bonner/Blair. The Spurs actually have a talented group of bigs, even Bonner has his moments.

Poolboy5623
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
THE FIRE RISES!

xmas1997
10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
The man is a revelation. I am your deacon.

Has range on his jumper to about 15 feet. Can shoot a over the top hook with both his left and right hand. Seen beating guys like Al Horford off the dribble. Sets picks that take on the ball defenders completely out of plays. Improving on his rolls to the basket as demonstrated by his recent game winner.

Shown multiple times to come through in the clutch. The man is money.

Physically dominating on the rebound. Shows great effort to difference-making effect crashing the offensive glass. Will challenge all comers and makes many a 4 go beta.

Challenges attempts above the rim. Forces dribble outs and pull up jumpers on rotations to shut off drives. Uses length to double and recover when zoning pnr.

Allows Splitter and Duncan to play more at the 4 and of course more Baynes means less Bonner.

Whats not to love?

Collection plate is going round and remember it's better if it folds.

Add me to the believers. I knew he was going to be good for the Spurs when I found out he was from the Pacers where Boylen was a coach.

boutons_deux
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Arno and Patty could do HEB ads for kangaroo burgers, pickled wallaby testicles, saltwater crocodile steaks

FuzzyLumpkins
10-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Add me to the believers. I knew he was going to be good for the Spurs when I found out he was from the Pacers where Boylen was a coach.

Shun the non-believer!

TXstbobcat
10-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Arno and Patty could do HEB ads for kangaroo burgers, pickled wallaby testicles, saltwater crocodile steaks

Are those items on the new Outback Steakhouse menu?

Baynes
10-18-2013, 04:10 PM
all hail.....

Darkwaters
10-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Splitter is not a 4. He has absolutely no range on his shot.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Splitter is not a 4. He has absolutely no range on his shot.

I get that but he can run the pnr. Baynes does have a bit of range as well. Offensively because of how we run pnr it's not so much of a concern. I get your meaning though.

Defensively it's another matter entirely though. I prefer Splitter using his mobility against opposing 4's especially against pnr. I also do not like the rebounding matchups he sees compared to the 4.

I don't know if it would even work for exactly the reason you give in spacing but I definitely would like to see it. Who knows if we will though.

ehz33satx
10-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Baynes did not play for the Pacers. He played college at Washington and also for thr Australian national team
Jeff Ayres, formally Jeff Pendergraph, is who played for the Pacers and Boylen.

ehz33satx
10-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Baynes did not play for the Pacers. He played college at Washington and also for the Australian national team.
Jeff Ayres, formally Jeff Pendergraph, is who played for the Pacers and Boylen.

xmas1997
10-18-2013, 10:55 PM
I was talking about Ayers. Wrong thread.

RD2191
10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
:toast

FuzzyLumpkins
10-19-2013, 09:06 PM
8 and 7 in just 17 mins played. The man can catch the ball in traffic and finish.

Can I get an amen?

capek
10-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I feel like the St Paul to this church. Been excited about the dude for a long time. Hopefully he's a featured part of the rotation this season. ie see my user title :hat

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I feel like the St Paul to this church. Been excited about the dude for a long time. Hopefully he's a featured part of the rotation this season.

I would really like to see him assert himself among other things into an enforcer type of role. He looks like he is big enough.

capek
10-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I would really like to see him assert himself among other things into an enforcer type of role. He looks like he is big enough.

No doubt, though we all know how this league works. The refs have to know your name before they'll let you get away with that. He seems to be focusing first on playing without getting called for cheap fouls, just staying on the court longer, showing other aspects of his game. I expect in time he'll feel more comfortable throwing his body around once he feels like he's not going to get called for every ticky tack foul in the book.

jermaine
10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I
8 and 7 in just 17 mins played. The man can catch the ball in traffic and finish.

Can I get an amen? AMEN MY BROTHA!

Captivus
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Baynes didnt get any calls last season, that has to change.

spurraider21
10-21-2013, 07:34 PM
None of this matters if they resign bonner in the summer :lol

SpursFanaticInVegas
10-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Thank you Father!

Baynes needs 2nd big off the bench minutes.

Hoops Czar
10-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank you Father!

Baynes needs 2nd big off the bench minutes.
!
If that's what it takes to give Ayres less minutes, then I'm down with it.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Mills/Cojo Manu Belli Diaw Baynes needs to be the second unit.

With Belli at the three and turd towers you just have a shitty front court. Baynes delivers you from having an undersized 3.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Baynes with another statement that he is at least the team's 4th best big.

His conditioning, which was his biggest issue last year, is resolved. He can play 20 mpg easily. He was running the floor well for all of his 21 minutes against the Rockets. He was still getting elevation to contest shots above the rim. I think it should be noted that he is the only Spur including the starters that does this. He can bang down low with ANYBODY in the NBA. He isn't going to overpower Howard but he more than holds his own. That is a high standard to meet. Howard physically looks 100% which he clearly was not last season fwiw.

His defense is still stout. He continues to cut off players thinking about cutting into the lane. 2 more blocks speak for themselves.

What has been most impressive to me though is his court awareness when he is dealing with pnr and plays run to the strongside. He is consistently able to zone up or switch which allows guys to recover and still recover himself. There were several times that he cut off Houston ball handlers and still denied the pass to Howard and Asik. This ability in particular is what makes Splitter such an excellent pnr defender. Baynes is beginning to show it as well.

He has the second best offensive post game on the team. He didn't get the turnaround jumper to go and he forced up a bad shot on good defense by Asik;however, his footwork is excellent his moves are done in control and with quickness and he has a very soft finish with either hand. His jumper is excellent and he has range to at least 15 feet. Again, it's a soft forgiving shot. 8-13 is a nice line.

It's important to keep in mind that Baynes has very limited NBA minutes. With more experience he will get better. I don't think that it is hyperbole to say that his ceiling is thereabouts of Marc Gasol. With the jumper, post moves and ability to deny shots at and above the rim he could be better. Note the word COULD. He has a long ways to go but getting him on the road should be sooner than later.

in2deep
10-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Amen

bench soft spliter and put Baynes to patrol the lanes next to TD!

benfti
10-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Overall probably one of our best this pre season, came on leaps and bounds

objective
10-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Baynes with another statement that he is at least the team's 4th best big.

His conditioning, which was his biggest issue last year, is resolved. He can play 20 mpg easily. He was running the floor well for all of his 21 minutes against the Rockets. He was still getting elevation to contest shots above the rim. I think it should be noted that he is the only Spur including the starters that does this. He can bang down low with ANYBODY in the NBA. He isn't going to overpower Howard but he more than holds his own. That is a high standard to meet. Howard physically looks 100% which he clearly was not last season fwiw.

His defense is still stout. He continues to cut off players thinking about cutting into the lane. 2 more blocks speak for themselves.

What has been most impressive to me though is his court awareness when he is dealing with pnr and plays run to the strongside. He is consistently able to zone up or switch which allows guys to recover and still recover himself. There were several times that he cut off Houston ball handlers and still denied the pass to Howard and Asik. This ability in particular is what makes Splitter such an excellent pnr defender. Baynes is beginning to show it as well.

He has the second best offensive post game on the team. He didn't get the turnaround jumper to go and he forced up a bad shot on good defense by Asik;however, his footwork is excellent his moves are done in control and with quickness and he has a very soft finish with either hand. His jumper is excellent and he has range to at least 15 feet. Again, it's a soft forgiving shot. 8-13 is a nice line.

It's important to keep in mind that Baynes has very limited NBA minutes. With more experience he will get better. I don't think that it is hyperbole to say that his ceiling is thereabouts of Marc Gasol. With the jumper, post moves and ability to deny shots at and above the rim he could be better. Note the word COULD. He has a long ways to go but getting him on the road should be sooner than later.

You have provided an articulate, thorough, reasonable case for Baynes getting 20 minutes a game behind Splitter.

Too bad he'll be inactive. :pop:

marbles1991
10-24-2013, 11:50 PM
I don't think that it is hyperbole to say that his ceiling is thereabouts of Marc Gasol. Homie Baynes is who he is. The dude is 26 and in his prime. He won't get much better from here.

Biernutz
10-25-2013, 12:08 AM
I went to the game tonight and Aron looked good. He went to the basket hard, was getting
good position on rebounds. He had tons of energy and ran the court hard. I didn't have
much confidence in him a few weeks back but seeing him now he looked good. I hope it
works out for him because we need another big man who will bang.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm in.

From his first few games last year I thought we had a solid 4-5th big rotation guy on our hands. If he continues to improve he will end up a lot better than that. :toast

Hoops Czar
10-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Homie Baynes is who he is. The dude is 26 and in his prime. He won't get much better from here.

He could be a late bloomer. But, I think it's a stretch to think he could be as good as Gasol.

Nero5
10-25-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm sure Baynes just wants to play and be part of the team. He is a bargain for what he is doing at 1/8th the cost of Splitter...he has every chance to become better.

ace3g
10-25-2013, 12:59 AM
3 things he has going for him:

- Good mobility for a big

- Reliable jump-shot with high release

- Good rebounder

HI-FI
10-25-2013, 01:19 AM
3 things he has going for him:

- Good mobility for a big

- Reliable jump-shot with high release

- Good rebounder

good points.

I was a fan when we brought him over and he's shown quite a bit of improvement along with Patty. Baynes is solid and I think he's still getting better.

Nero5
10-25-2013, 01:27 AM
I'd trade him for Steven Adams

Ice009
10-25-2013, 02:23 AM
Overall probably one of our best this pre season, came on leaps and bounds

I'm impressed with both Baynes and Mills this preseason. They've both come back to the team with what looks like improved games. It really does look like they both worked very hard in the off season, and that is great to see.

On the other hand, I think Jeff Ayres has been mediocre since his first couple of games, where I thought he was decent, but he's gotten worse as the games have gone on IMO. I thought he was athletic, but to me, he looks like yet another player that is a little undersized and doesn't have much of a vertical leap. I've kind of had enough of that undersized-can't jump-can't grab a board type of player. Hopefully I am wrong about him and he gets better with more experience.

spurs10
10-25-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm impressed with both Baynes and Mills this preseason. They've both come back to the team with what looks like improved games. It really does look like they both worked very hard in the off season, and that is great to see.

On the other hand, I think Jeff Ayres has been mediocre since his first couple of games, where I thought he was decent, but he's gotten worse as the games have gone on IMO. I thought he was athletic, but to me, he looks like yet another player that is a little undersized and doesn't have much of a vertical leap. I've kind of had enough of that undersized-can't jump-can't grab a board type of player. Hopefully I am wrong about him and he gets better with more experience. I get some of what you're saying about Ayres, he misses some easy shots. I just wonder how a guy that "can't jump" can slam dunk like he can?

Ice009
10-25-2013, 02:41 AM
I get some of what you're saying about Ayres, he misses some easy shots. I just wonder how a guy that "can't jump" can slam dunk like he can?

I think I've missed nearly all his dunks. I wasn't able to watch today's game, did he dunk in today's game? From the games I've watched, he seems to get blocked near the rim quite a bit, and just because you can dunk it, doesn't mean you have a great vertical.

I've seen Bonner do a pretty decent two handed dunk in a game, but that doesn't mean shit. Doesn't mean he is an explosive leaper. If you are undersized and aren't an decent/explosive leaper, then that doesn't really help you in the NBA game, it can really work against you, just ask Blair.

szkorhetz
10-25-2013, 04:14 AM
How was his defense on Howard and Asik?

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 04:39 AM
Homie Baynes is who he is. The dude is 26 and in his prime. He won't get much better from here.

If you say so. He has played a piece of a season in the NBA so far. I am not saying that he is suddenly going to get a 3 point shot but I do think that Baynes can tighten his game significantly and expand it incrementally. Big mean develop to a later curve.

The reason why I say Gasol is because of what Gasol's game is.

Offensively, Gasol is limited out of the post. His post up game is a turnaround jumper. Baynes turnaround out of the post needs more reps but its there. Gasol does not have the overhand hood like Baynes does. Gasol's jumper's range goes to 18 feet. Baynes I have seen a bit more than 15 feet so far but he can hit from anywhere in that range he is making shots from the baseline, wing and freethrow line. He makes those shots with touch and I see no reason why he could not rep a shot like Duncan does at 18 feet. Gasol has a lot more polish but Baynes doesn't have near as many NBA minutes. I have not seen it much but I did see Baynes take Horford off the dribble. That was a revelation.

Defensively is where Gasol sets himself above other NBA players. His post defense is probably best in the league and he anchors the Grizzly defense. His game is VERY polished. That being said, he cannot jump as well as Baynes nor is he as quick as Baynes. The one thing about Baynes is that he much like Mills plays somewhat frenetically and it makes him lose coordination or get overextended. We have not seen him get many plays against the NBA's best post players. What we have seen is that he is difficult to move and get away from.

If Baynes can perfect the skills that he already has, it compares favorably with Gasol's skillset. More NBA reps in the Spurs system will see him play better.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 04:45 AM
How was his defense on Howard and Asik?

Asik is very limited offensively. He just has no moves. I think I saw him in the post against Howard once and he ended up passing out of it. Doesn't say much.

Raven
10-25-2013, 05:07 AM
i think he deserves playing time, we should take games off and play him 35 minutes in those games (i mean the games timmy is rested), so we can see what he can do if given time.

99 Problems
10-25-2013, 05:38 AM
:ace

r0drig0lac
10-25-2013, 06:01 AM
ceiling marc gasol is ridiculous, but it may prove to be a solid pivo in nba

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 06:22 AM
ceiling marc gasol is ridiculous, but it may prove to be a solid pivo in nba

why? what part of Gasol's game is unattainable?

Raven
10-25-2013, 06:26 AM
why? what part of Gasol's game is unattainable?

well, for starters gasol is 7-1 and there are only two years of difference...

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 06:41 AM
well, for starters gasol is 7-1 and there are only two years of difference...

So he has an inch on him. Baynes is a better leaper. The experience gap is obvious thus my use of the notion potential. Baynes game has improved markedly from last season. Would you disagree?

I am talking skill wise. I readily admit that Gasol has a bit better range on his jumper and is much more developed as a defensive player.

You think he cannot match his strength? quickness? You think he lacks the awareness? footspeed? coordination?

benfti
10-25-2013, 06:43 AM

Disagree, Aron was late to basketball, he has the size that with a growing knowledge of the game will show steady improvement over time.

Baam
10-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Should take T-Vag' spot in the starting lineup tbh but won't because the alcoholics of the FO overpaid to keep him this summer and they'd shoot themselves in the foot if they did, tragic stuff. Btw it was obvious that Baynes could help last year, typical Pop...

And this preseason confirms what a putrid off-season that was.

LOL at Beli and Ayres...

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Should take T-Vag' spot in the starting lineup tbh but won't because the alcoholics of the FO overpaid to keep him this summer and they'd shoot themselves in the foot if they did, tragic stuff. Btw it was obvious that Baynes could help last year, typical Pop...

And this preseason confirms what a putrid off-season that was.

LOL at Beli and Ayres...

Belinelli has come along as the preseason progressed. I imagine he will continue to get better as he familiarizes himself with the teams and its system.

Raven
10-25-2013, 07:02 AM
So he has an inch on him. Baynes is a better leaper. The experience gap is obvious thus my use of the notion potential. Baynes game has improved markedly from last season. Would you disagree?

I am talking skill wise. I readily admit that Gasol has a bit better range on his jumper and is much more developed as a defensive player.

You think he cannot match his strength? quickness? You think he lacks the awareness? footspeed? coordination?

actually he has 3 inches on baynes.. baynes having more leaping ability than gasol is completely your arbitrary decision, i don't know how can you support this thesis tbh. I do agree that Baynes could still develop a lot due to being a very late bloomer, but if you say Baynes could become a Gasol, than you can say that for every big in the league.

TJastal
10-25-2013, 07:21 AM
You have provided an articulate, thorough, reasonable case for Baynes getting 20 minutes a game behind Splitter.

Too bad he'll be inactive. :pop:

:lol

And popsuckers will continue to suck and rationalize his lack of playing time. They'll continue to cheer on the neverending backup point clusterfuck too. Some things never change.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 07:21 AM
actually he has 3 inches on baynes.. baynes having more leaping ability than gasol is completely your arbitrary decision, i don't know how can you support this thesis tbh. I do agree that Baynes could still develop a lot due to being a very late bloomer, but if you say Baynes could become a Gasol, than you can say that for every big in the league.

I will give you the height. I am curious what how Gasol's wingspan compares with Baynes 7'2.5". I determine the jumping ability by watching Baynes leap to challenge shots at the rim. Gasol doesn't do that.

You still seem disinclined to talk about skillsets. When every big in the league can shoot an overhand hook with both hands, hit 15 foot jumpers, , block shots above the rim, defend Howard in the post or cut off Harden from the lane then I would agree with you. Gasol is a better rebounder and a much better passer but Baynes is coming ionto his won right now.

Most big men are 'latebloomers.' Guys that come in at 20 and dominate are typically one of two categories. 1) HoF types like Tim Duncan or 2) Athletic freaks like Dwight Howard. Most of the rest start to come into their own around Baynes age.

I also think that Gasol is overrated mostly because the shit talent for bigs in the NBA. Gasol has average 13 and 8 over his career.

TJastal
10-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Belinelli has come along as the preseason progressed. I imagine he will continue to get better as he familiarizes himself with the teams and its system.

Until Poop decides to get cute and convert him into a point guard because having 4 backups isn't enough.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Until Poop decides to get cute and convert him into a point guard because having 4 backups isn't enough.

He stopped Neal at point when DeColo was brought in and CoJo got some experience. TJ Ford got hurt.

The complaints about Splitter should have stopped last season when he started him and Bonner was relegated to the end of the bench. Blair sucks and never deserved to start.

txstr1986
10-25-2013, 08:45 AM
I think I've missed nearly all his dunks. I wasn't able to watch today's game, did he dunk in today's game? From the games I've watched, he seems to get blocked near the rim quite a bit, and just because you can dunk it, doesn't mean you have a great vertical.

I've seen Bonner do a pretty decent two handed dunk in a game, but that doesn't mean shit. Doesn't mean he is an explosive leaper. If you are undersized and aren't an decent/explosive leaper, then that doesn't really help you in the NBA game, it can really work against you, just ask Blair.

He had at least two or three dunks last night, one of which was an alley-oop from CoJo.

Raven
10-25-2013, 08:46 AM
I will give you the height. I am curious what how Gasol's wingspan compares with Baynes 7'2.5". I determine the jumping ability by watching Baynes leap to challenge shots at the rim. Gasol doesn't do that.

You still seem disinclined to talk about skillsets. When every big in the league can shoot an overhand hook with both hands, hit 15 foot jumpers, , block shots above the rim, defend Howard in the post or cut off Harden from the lane then I would agree with you. Gasol is a better rebounder and a much better passer but Baynes is coming ionto his won right now.

Most big men are 'latebloomers.' Guys that come in at 20 and dominate are typically one of two categories. 1) HoF types like Tim Duncan or 2) Athletic freaks like Dwight Howard. Most of the rest start to come into their own around Baynes age.

I also think that Gasol is overrated mostly because the shit talent for bigs in the NBA. Gasol has average 13 and 8 over his career.

meh, baynes gets blocked so many times i would hardly believe he has any special leaping ability. Gasol had 17+8.5+2.2 in the last play offs, nuff said. About Baynes's skillset, i can hardly see any go-to move. Yes he has a relatively soft hand and yes he has no glaring weak spot, but he's not even close to gasol or others by any means. It's easy to put numbers in preseason, but he has shown almos nothing last year to warrant what you say.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-25-2013, 03:39 PM
meh, baynes gets blocked so many times i would hardly believe he has any special leaping ability. Gasol had 17+8.5+2.2 in the last play offs, nuff said. About Baynes's skillset, i can hardly see any go-to move. Yes he has a relatively soft hand and yes he has no glaring weak spot, but he's not even close to gasol or others by any means. It's easy to put numbers in preseason, but he has shown almos nothing last year to warrant what you say.

He was blocked once last night and when you have guys waiting for you under the rim and you do not use a power dribble that will happen. This is what I am getting at when I say experience and polish. Have you or have you not seen him block shots above the rim? I never said he was Javele McGee. I said he was a better leaper than Gasol

And of course Gasol is a lot better than him. What I am saying is that there skillsets are not so far off. When you look and see what Gasol actually does, its not as if it is unattainable. He needs a hell of a lot more consistency and polish to get there. And Gasol's 'go to' move is a jumpshot from 18 feet. Not exactly world breaking.

Kasen
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9AMi-sYMw

Dex
10-26-2013, 10:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/t4zv64q.png

Pop was obviously impressed by that Baynes put-back dunk.

monkeypunk
10-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Pop was obviously impressed by that Baynes put-back dunk.

Whats funny is that they showed Pop right after that putback and a little smile appeared on his face and promptly went away. Like he liked the action but didn't want to get too excited about it.

ceperez
10-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Tough customer.

ace3g
10-26-2013, 11:34 PM
yes!!!

http://instagram.com/p/f9SLDHmoGv/#

MaineSpursFan
10-26-2013, 11:41 PM
yes!!!

http://instagram.com/p/f9SLDHmoGv/#

Man his eyes are so close together.

benefactor
10-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Eh...I look better as Bane than he does.

Nero5
10-27-2013, 07:23 AM
did pop smile...I didn't see it. Has splitter ever done a putback like that in traffic - I haven't seen enough to know.

UZER
10-27-2013, 08:02 AM

"Still doesn't know the system. Will not play." - Pop

TJastal
10-27-2013, 08:10 AM
"Still doesn't know the system. Will not play." - Pop

:lmao

spurraider21
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
This is a big dude that can play. I'm sure he will find himself on the floor for regular rotation minutes sooner rather than later

KL2
10-28-2013, 11:46 PM
With his ability to shoot jumpers I have a hard time believing Pop won't play him.

chapnis
10-29-2013, 12:17 AM
With his ability to shoot jumpers I have a hard time believing Pop won't play him.

He doesn't space the floor like Matt Bonner :pop:

FuzzyLumpkins
10-29-2013, 12:24 AM
He doesn't space the floor like Matt Bonner :pop:

I know that you are being tongue in cheek but Baynes has nice form on his jumper and he can hit it from all over intermediate range. He shoots it way over his head with a quick release and feathery finish. It just lays up on the rim instead of bricking off. It's a sweet shot.

What I really like about it is he hits it from all over. From the baseline, the wing, the circle. He can hit that shot. Compare that to say Duncan who likes his shot from the elbow or the post or much less a guy like McDyess who had about 3 square feet on the FT line extended where he could hit a shot from outside. Baynes can shoot in multiple spots on the floor.

He has tools to be really damn good for us.

chapnis
10-29-2013, 02:11 AM
I know that you are being tongue in cheek but Baynes has nice form on his jumper and he can hit it from all over intermediate range. He shoots it way over his head with a quick release and feathery finish. It just lays up on the rim instead of bricking off. It's a sweet shot.

What I really like about it is he hits it from all over. From the baseline, the wing, the circle. He can hit that shot. Compare that to say Duncan who likes his shot from the elbow or the post or much less a guy like McDyess who had about 3 square feet on the FT line extended where he could hit a shot from outside. Baynes can shoot in multiple spots on the floor.

I agree, as long as it's enough to keep a defense honest (40-45%) then that's just another asset he can bring. I do think there are rotation minutes for him this season.

ceperez
10-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Agree. He can shoot well within 15 feet.

ace3g
10-29-2013, 09:02 PM
http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/v2/lg-share-en.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&username=sportingpulse)
Interview: Aron Baynes on the NBA
Basketball Australia: Firstly, how was your summer? What did you spend it doing?
Aron Baynes (http://basketball.net.au/index.php?id=738&tx_contagged[backPid]=302&tx_contagged[key]=88): It was good. I spent a lot of time in San Antonio, played in the Summer League, and worked out here the rest of the time. I had a lot of time to get better, worked with big guys like, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter. It’s been good to be here and be able to develop my game.

BA: What have you been working on when you say develop your game? What have you added to your arsenal?
AB: My low post game. Just trying to get better with playing within our system and making the right reads. Not only offense, but also on the defensive end, going up against those guys every day for the summer it definitely helps me get better, just learning, and practice.

BA: Let’s go back to last season for a minute. You came in to the team at the halfway point. San Antonio ends up making the NBA Finals. I know you didn’t play much during the playoff run, but what was that experience like for you?
AB: I came here in January so they were already up there in terms of position. I came in knowing that the team was flying and that there would be some opportunity for me to go out there and play so I used it as a learning curve.
There’s no better opportunity for me to learn than to go through to the Finals. From January to Game 7 of the Finals was a chance for me to learn, see how guys do things, see how they approach things. I’m just lucky to be around the team, trying to get better and understand the system. That’s the thing for me, [I was] just using it as a learning curve. That definitely sparked me to work hard as I could this summer because I know what it takes to get to that point. This year we’re hoping to go one game better.

continue: http://basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3109&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=8f28845b45

PingPong
11-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Guy is physically good but seems to have low iq bball.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-02-2013, 12:51 AM

meh. His awareness could be better but I don't know about that description. His main issue is he missed 4 shots within 10 feet of the basket and that awful pass to Mills on the perimeter.

And wtf was Henry getting foul calls for when he was just jumping into defenders? He got two on Baynes when he was the one creating the contact. It's bad enough when I have to see that shit from Durant and Bryant.

Boomersgold
11-02-2013, 12:57 AM

Agreed completely. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt because this is the second game of his first full season in the NBA. He hasn't even cracked a spot in the rotation yet.

moisaenz
11-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Spurs definitely need an enforcer in the paint like this guy but how long can the "system" take to develop this guy? He still seems lost at times.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Looks lost? I hope you are not talking on defense because his rotations have been solid. He is the only guy in the second unit that rotates and protects the rim. I want to reach out and slap Diaw, Ayers, and Bonner when they just watch the drive.

In transition he is good at communicating and making sure everyone is picked up.

He seemed frustrated on offense because he buried Speights in the paint 3 or 4 times before they finally got him the ball and he scored. His jumper was not falling against GS but it looked good and was soft on the rim. He spaces and moves just fine when he is weakside.

His physicality was a revelation.

PlayNando
11-10-2013, 12:12 AM
meathead tbh

SPIDER2311
11-10-2013, 02:22 AM
meathead tbh plays hard. Not a meat head.

wildcardX
11-10-2013, 03:01 AM
He was a mid season pick up for cheap and he has not played a full season yet. I don't think expectations should be high for him. I'm happy that he's just able to contribute and not just warm the bench.

SpursRock20
12-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Bump. :toast

jkid12456
12-10-2013, 09:20 PM
sNG!

Holden_Caulfield
12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
:toast

DMC
12-10-2013, 09:29 PM
It was a massacre out there. Anyone could have gotten theirs.

jhfenton
12-10-2013, 09:30 PM
A well-deserved and timely bump.

jeebus
12-10-2013, 09:34 PM
It was a massacre out there. Anyone could have gotten theirs.
Airs didn't. :lol

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm not a Baynes believer, but the minutes at the 4th big position should be allocated based on recent performance, and Baynes earned some burn tonight, tbh(although it was against one of the worst defensive Cs in the NBA, to be fair:lol)..

DMC
12-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Airs didn't. :lol

Nope. The 5 minutes he was on the floor the Raptors couldn't miss. Tbh, when Lowry tried to out hero Tony, that's when it turned. No one can out hero ball Tony.

Seventyniner
12-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm not a Baynes believer, but the minutes at the 4th big position should be allocated based on recent performance, and Baynes earned some burn tonight, tbh(although it was against one of the worst defensive Cs in the NBA, to be fair:lol)..

There's something about playing the Raptors that inspires Spurs' big white guys to dunk.

Dex
12-10-2013, 11:26 PM

The last time Baynes started a meaningful game, he made Dwight Howard punk out in the playoffs iirc fwiw tbh.

playbonner15
12-10-2013, 11:31 PM
:lol Having a jizz fest over a win against the Raptors

But one thing is certain, Baynes >>> Ayers tbh :toast ........................

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2013, 01:05 AM
His shot was falling and ffs does he make a difference defending the rim as opposed to Ayres. Great job cutting off drives especially on the baseline and played the two man pnr defense damned well. Dude just kept on making plays. Sweet action out of both the high and low post.

Couple of stupid fouls swiping for the ball. Didn't run the floor particularly well when he tired. Conditioning is lacking. Could have been better on the boards although he was okay.

Got burn with Duncan to start the second half which had me giddy. And if you still cannot see why Baynes > Ayres you need to check your head.

Russo21
12-11-2013, 01:08 AM
:worthy: Hail the great Baynes

spurraider21
12-11-2013, 01:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsLWRhd8JSw

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2013, 01:54 AM
The man finishes naturally with both hands. That's something no one else on the team does. Duncan is decidedly RH for example.

minuzzo21
12-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Baynes is much better than Ayers, it's not so difficult to see. I think Ayres should be after Thomas in the big rotation.

AussieFanKurt
12-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Baynes is much better than Ayers, it's not so difficult to see. I think Ayres should be after Thomas in the big rotation.

While that's not hard, its ultimately true and Baynes needs to get time get Ayres

jermaine
12-11-2013, 06:50 AM
I dont really like to judge game highlights, but I just got a hard-on looking at that. (No homo) Aryers couldn't do all that in his best dreams about himself. But it also makes my fucking pimp hand twitch. I wanna slap the piss shit outta Pop for not letting him get more burn so he can get better conditioning. Dam the choir, LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN!!!

smaka
12-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Great game by Bane, he deserves to get PT instead of Ayres in the next couple of games to see if he can deliver constantly. But man, that's the good ol' Bynes I watched in Europe.

bigfan
12-11-2013, 09:22 AM
"The Big Banger" sounds ok to me. Really if we can keep this guy (and he stays healthy) we might have a chance with him. He seems to be fairly bright and I bet over time he is just going to play smarter. He is the guy that we've needed since we refused to bring over Javtokas.

Blue Duck
12-11-2013, 09:55 AM
It's very difficult for me to understand how some fans still can't see this guy's potential. I've wanted more PT for Baynes since last season. I would love to see him get some more touches in the low post and really use that big body with the purpose for which it was built, instead of just running around the perimeter setting screens for guards. But that requires a little flexibility on Pop's part. Anyways, i hope to see more tonight against the bucks.. another important point to consider is that a little healthy competition for minutes will benefit Tiago as well. Go Spurs!!

wildbill2u
12-11-2013, 10:29 AM
I was particularly impressed by two plays. The first was when he was alone amidst three Raptors, missed a shot, got the OR over them and went up for a dunk. The second of course was his play going to his left where the defender obviously thought he was pulling up for a hand off pass to one of our guys, but Baynes hesitated and then drove to the basket using his left hand and dunked it unopposed.

Perhaps Baynes can work with Green on his handle. [sarcasm/]

He's not the second coming of DRob, but he's a wide load in the paint and not afraid to mix it up. Some highly mobile bigs will eat him up, but he should do OK against some other wide loads like Bogut.

And his 15 ft jumper should be enough to draw some defenders out of the paint to give Parker some additional room to drive the lane.

Remember, he hasn't played a whole season in the NBA yet so I still see him as a rookie. He's a work in progress that shows some promise as a valuable roll player. :tu

jermaine
12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
If Pop plays him, he'll get a better feel of the game an chill with the small ticky tac fouls!

jeebus
12-11-2013, 11:11 AM
He's not the second coming of DRob, but he's a wide load in the paint and not afraid to mix it up. Some highly mobile bigs will eat him up, but he should do OK against some other wide loads like Bogut.

And his 15 ft jumper should be enough to draw some defenders out of the paint to give Parker some additional room to drive the lane.

he is what he is, a big man to come off the bench, play solid D, and make those high percentage shots in the paint. apparently he can make some good passes too, which is a plus :lol. and as shown against LA last year, he can start games and literally make big men quit the game for the rest of the season. if he can do half of what he did last night on a regular basis(along with the usual awesome games and bad games that everyone has), that would be perfect.

His mid range jumper can be good; I think he just needs some consistent playing time to get it in rhythm. but in the preseason, he was knocking it down fairly regularly.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-11-2013, 11:54 AM
With Splitter and Diaw both hurt Baynes should get his chance to show what he can do. So far so good. I'd rather see him on the floor at the 5 spot than Ayres.

SpursRock20
12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
The man finishes naturally with both hands. That's something no one else on the team does. Duncan is decidedly RH for example.

Umm, you are talking about the Big Fundamental. No way is Baynes better than Duncan with the left hand. Just last night Duncan put up a nice soft hook shot with the left.

Bill_Brasky
12-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I was particularly impressed by two plays. The first was when he was alone amidst three Raptors, missed a shot, got the OR over them and went up for a dunk. The second of course was his play going to his left where the defender obviously thought he was pulling up for a hand off pass to one of our guys, but Baynes hesitated and then drove to the basket using his left hand and dunked it unopposed.

Perhaps Baynes can work with Green on his handle. [sarcasm/]

Remember, he hasn't played a whole season in the NBA yet so I still see him as a rookie. He's a work in progress that shows some promise as a valuable roll player. :tu

the most intriguing thing about baynes is that jump shot. can he hit that at a good clip? would love to hand OKC some "how the fuck is this guy making every jump shot" revenge.

look_at_g_shred
12-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Hats off to that Career performance last night. Thumbs up. The man did everything you could've wanted him to do and then some. Dude even took a charge. Hopefully he shits on Sanders and Henson tonight!

Baam
12-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Most exciting performance of the RS so far for me. This off season I said that Baynes was the best "recruit", didn't get why he didn't play after clearly outplaying Ayres in preseason and now he gets a real shot and makes the best of it. Really happy.

Baynes has the size of a real 5 and brings good monkeyballing and even some hints of finesse here and there... Ayres Diaw never made any sense defensively, you just had to look at Verajao just shooting over Ayres' head like it was nothing...

I even think he could be more useful than Splitter in the POs when you need tough players, on both ends... He shoots his jumper without second thought and mostly dunks the rest of the time. We need him so badly against Indiana and OKC's rim protection.

From what I remember he doesn't have a post game but Splitter doesn't either and can't shoot to space the floor for someone who has one... I just wish he's gonna keep getting minutes... Guy shut down Dwight and didn't play since basically, I really don't get Pop...

jermaine
12-11-2013, 02:30 PM
He dunk on Jermaine O'Neal an got a tec. Pop put him on the bench for shit talking an aint seen the court since! Literally

hater
12-11-2013, 02:40 PM
this australian nigga probably eats 2 or 3 kangaroos a day. he's a machine

UZER
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I dont really like to judge game highlights, but I just got a hard-on looking at that. (No homo) Aryers couldn't do all that in his best dreams about himself. But it also makes my fucking pimp hand twitch. I wanna slap the piss shit outta Pop for not letting him get more burn so he can get better conditioning. Dam the choir, LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN!!!

Pop has to pull the spurs fan mind fuck every year with someone. It his MO to have a "i do things because i can" each year. This year, its inexplicably playing ayers over baynes from day one of the regular season.

jermaine
12-11-2013, 03:17 PM
The fact he doesn't back down from any one, gets my vote. That whole Jermaine O'Neal situation made me fall in love. An he aint scared to finish at the rim like a grown man too! Shhiiiiit I got a serious man crush on him. Instead of Ginobili an Aryers, I Wanna see Ginobili an Baynes! An Bellineli thrown in the mix. OMFG

jermaine
12-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Pop has to pull the spurs fan mind fuck every year with someone. It his MO to have a "i do things because i can" each year. This year, its inexplicably playing ayers over baynes from day one of the regular season.

Then people call him Genius! Not taking anything away from him but it's clear to us an the world. Baynes is a better option than Aryers. I told a coworker about Baynes at the beginning of the season an he said, "if he's at ok Pop will play him". He later came back saying he's never heard or seen a Baynes before. Oooooo but this morning he was singing a different tune. Asking why Pop dont let him get some burn.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Umm, you are talking about the Big Fundamental. No way is Baynes better than Duncan with the left hand. Just last night Duncan put up a nice soft hook shot with the left.

Umm Duncan has been forcing shots back to his right hand from the left block over and again this season. It's a big reason why he keeps getting blocked.

jermaine
12-11-2013, 04:26 PM
An missing chippiestoo!

SpursRock20
12-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Umm Duncan has been forcing shots back to his right hand from the left block over and again this season. It's a big reason why he keeps getting blocked.

He keeps getting blocked because he has no lift, dude can shoot well with his left hand.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
He keeps getting blocked because he has no lift, dude can shoot well with his left hand.

If you are to the left of the basket facing it then your defender will be right on top of your right hand and your body will be between your left hand and the defender. With post moves you can keep them away from that left handed hook no matter how well you jump. In the past he has done that but he likes to go across the lane and finish with the right on the right side of the rim a la your sig.

What he has done a ton is try and use that right hand from the left of the rim. It gets sent back all too often.

I know in the past he would finish with both hands but he used to hit that bank shot from the left block too. I really don't know what to tell you. I guess we just see different things but I see a guy very RH dominant.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Put out good juju for Baynes' ankle I ask of you.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
To start the second half of the 12/10 game vs the Raptors, Popovich trotted out Baynes at C with the rest of the starters. This was the first time this season and the last time since he started Game 4 of last years first round sweep of the Lakers.

After the Toronto game, Parker was noted as saying, ""Tiago is a big part of what we do so somebody has to step up. Right now, Baynesie is doing good."

In his most recent game, Baynes went for 9 points 8 rebounds and 2 assists in 17 minutes.

Will Pop play him against the Clips tonight?

jermaine
12-16-2013, 08:56 PM
No. Pop will let DeAngre Jordan jump all over Bonner!

FuzzyLumpkins
01-28-2014, 04:00 AM
We need your prayers, brothers and sisters. The scourge known as Ayers has taken a big dump on the AT&T Center Court. We need a savior!

FuzzyLumpkins
03-03-2014, 04:21 AM
Baynes was the first C off the bench 3/2 vs the Mavs. He only played a brief 6 mins but was perfect from the field with 4 points 3 rebounds and an assist. Ayers got the DNP.

exstatic
03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Baynes was the first C off the bench 3/2 vs the Mavs. He only played a brief 6 mins but was perfect from the field with 4 points 3 rebounds and an assist. Ayers got the DNP.

Uh huh! :lol

jermaine
03-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Preach preacher!

RodNIc91
03-03-2014, 09:45 AM
I knew you would say something Fuzzy! Maybe pop finally gave up on ayres! Let's hope for it!

Jwash_1986
03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
I've always liked Baynes. I think like Patty if he gets legit minutes consistently he could prove to be something we need. Only time will tell though.

jermaine
03-03-2014, 10:19 AM
If Baynes had Ayers mins, im sure he'd do more than prove himself.

Floyd Pacquiao
03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Dude is solid... One thing though, he does seem to have little fouling problem. He picked 2 cheap ones lastnight in just 6 minutes of play.

look_at_g_shred
03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Dude is solid... One thing though, he does seem to have little fouling problem. He picked 2 cheap ones lastnight in just 6 minutes of play.
The dude is so big that guards just bounce off him... Hence the fouls

xellos88330
03-03-2014, 12:49 PM
^He would cut off penetration using his hips. Those are instant fouls. He needs to start changing his angle to deny penetration.

Jwash_1986
03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
The dude is so big that guards just bounce off him... Hence the fouls
I cut for Baynes kinfolk. He go up with authority and has a lil jump shot too mane.

boutons_deux
03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't doubt Bayne's physicality, but I'm not convinced about this BBIQ, his intensity/alertness, his commitment. His face is always an expressionless blank.

Jwash_1986
03-03-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't doubt Bayne's physicality, but I'm not convinced about this BBIQ, his intensity/alertness, his commitment. His face is always an expressionless blank.
90% of the spurs roster is expresionless.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-03-2014, 02:09 PM

The man lives hard in the paint. He competes every play but yes he does have the mouthbreather going on..

FuzzyLumpkins
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Uh huh! :lol

Your ship is sinking, sir!

Mugen
03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
He did a really good job of not being Jeff Ayres last night tbh.

jeebus
03-03-2014, 04:38 PM
He did a really good job of not being Jeff Ayres last night tbh.
Any player that comes in and is not Jeff Ayres deserves playing time on the team. Even the 10 day contract shitbags we've had.

SupremeGuy
03-03-2014, 06:42 PM
If Baynes had Ayers mins, im sure he'd do more than prove himself.This!!

FuzzyLumpkins
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
I had the almighty intervene and injure Ayers' hand.

You're welcome.

poop
03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
That just means more Bonner.

LittleCriminal
03-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Bust out with some Baynes tonight!!
I can't fathom Bonner guarding Oden.
Also... Daye getting some playing time tonight would be cool..

FuzzyLumpkins
03-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Baynes again ahead in the rotation played the meaningful minutes in the heart of the game and sat out with the starters for garbage time.

Played pretty well. He is a physical presence that boxes out and pushes people around in general. He is leaving a tad early on some of his screens but the timing is getting better because he is giving ballhandlers a step on their defenders. The 15 foot jumpshot is still money he made one flared off the FT stripe tonight. Nifty pass out of the post again and did a nice job finishing in transition

Rotations are now solid, he is picking up his fouls overplaying out on the perimeter for the most part. He was visibly frustrated about it vs Chicago. He still is able to cut off penetration and he does an excellent job going straight up to contest shots. He did lose Noah once playing ICE on the pnr but for the most part was very solid in the zone.

Mugen
03-12-2014, 12:24 AM
He'll have some use in a potential series against Memphis or the Rockets but his biggest value is keeping Jeff of the court so hopefully he continues to play decent tbh.

spurraider21
03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
his biggest value is keeping Jeff of the court
that alone is worthy of having a church of baynes

ceperez
03-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Baynes again ahead in the rotation played the meaningful minutes in the heart of the game and sat out with the starters for garbage time.

Played pretty well. He is a physical presence that boxes out and pushes people around in general. He is leaving a tad early on some of his screens but the timing is getting better because he is giving ballhandlers a step on their defenders. The 15 foot jumpshot is still money he made one flared off the FT stripe tonight. Nifty pass out of the post again and did a nice job finishing in transition

Rotations are now solid, he is picking up his fouls overplaying out on the perimeter for the most part. He was visibly frustrated about it vs Chicago. He still is able to cut off penetration and he does an excellent job going straight up to contest shots. He did lose Noah once playing ICE on the pnr but for the most part was very solid in the zone.

I wonder if it is better of have Baynes in the starting 5 and have Splitter with the Foreign Legion?

cd021
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM

he played well last nite. I'm starting to like him a bit more as the 4th big

look_at_g_shred
03-12-2014, 01:41 PM
I noticed last night that Baynes looks much slimmer than the start of the season. Still a big dude tho!

TJastal
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I noticed last night that Baynes looks much slimmer than the start of the season. Still a big dude tho!

Maybe he finally stopped brooding about his marginal role and made a commitment to getting into better shape instead of being winded after playing 5 minutes on the court.

jeebus
03-13-2014, 03:50 PM
I wonder if it is better of have Baynes in the starting 5 and have Splitter with the Foreign Legion?
Doubt it. He plays good with Diaw; that lineup of Patty, Manu, Marco, Boris, and Bane is looking mighty good out there. All these little ticky tack fouls and other dumb mistakes could've been sorted out by now if he had regular minutes instead of He Who Shall Not Be Named.

ace3g
03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Jason Bennett @Aussies_Abroad (https://twitter.com/Aussies_Abroad)

Fantastic chat w/Aussie @NBA (https://twitter.com/NBA/) @spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs/) big man @aronbaynes (https://twitter.com/aronbaynes/). Great story of persistence, determination & self-belief. pic.twitter.com/MPQ2uH1JP0 (http://t.co/MPQ2uH1JP0)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bio-GeZCIAADawZ.jpg:small (http://t.co/MPQ2uH1JP0)

Jason Bennett @Aussies_Abroad (https://twitter.com/Aussies_Abroad)

Shooting promos with Aussie @aronbaynes (https://twitter.com/aronbaynes/) at @spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs/) @NBA (https://twitter.com/NBA/) training facility. pic.twitter.com/JzZTak7ThG (http://t.co/JzZTak7ThG)https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bin8wUzCUAAeXqb.jpg:small (http://t.co/JzZTak7ThG)

Jason Bennett @Aussies_Abroad

(https://twitter.com/Aussies_Abroad)
@_DanEwing (https://twitter.com/_DanEwing/) @NBA (https://twitter.com/NBA/) @spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs/) @aronbaynes (https://twitter.com/aronbaynes/) We'll premiere Aron & our @Patty_Mills (https://twitter.com/Patty_Mills/) special during Playoffs. 2 really great stories to look fwd to.

benfti
03-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Sweet, will rip and share when they air down here

Prime Time
03-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Good to see I'm not alone. I always felt Baynes would be a much better player if he slimmed down a little/worked on his agility, And so far he's looking like a solid 4th big. I just hope he's still strong enough to keep Dwight out of the paint.

look_at_g_shred
03-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Baynes just taking niggas out left and right

exstatic
03-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Baynes just taking niggas out left and right

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120511112335/batman/images/f/f0/Bane_TDKR3.jpg

tim_duncan_fan
03-14-2014, 10:30 PM
No one cared who I was until I put on the jersey!

wildbill2u
03-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Getting more playing time and time with better players is helping Baynes a lot. He's at a point where he's learning how to play in the system without overthinking about it. He's gained enough confidence to take his shot and not worry about Pop pulling him out. I like him as the fourth big.

Hoops Czar
03-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Getting more playing time and time with better players is helping Baynes a lot. He's at a point where he's learning how to play in the system without overthinking about it. He's gained enough confidence to take his shot and not worry about Pop pulling him out. I like him as the fourth big.

The Spurs don't have a 4th big. The moment you get high on Baynes, he lets you down.

People were high on Nando after the Chicago and Miami games last year too. How'd that turn out?

tim_duncan_fan
03-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Baynes hasn't had near the chances Nando has. For one thing, Baynes isn't a whiny bitch and understands that if he doesn't perform in limited action, he won't see major time.

The problem has been that Pop apparently erroneously believed/believes Errors to be the better player.

SpursFan86
03-16-2014, 12:29 AM
So do y'all think Baynes has officially taken Ayres spot in the rotation? It's hard to know with Pop. Earlier in the year Baynes had a stretch where he was getting more playing time (and played well), and then for whatever reason Pop went back to only giving him garbage time minutes. Hopefully these past few games have shown Pop that Baynes deserves playing time ahead of Ayres.

Hoops Czar
03-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Baynes hasn't had near the chances Nando has. For one thing, Baynes isn't a whiny bitch and understands that if he doesn't perform in limited action, he won't see major time.

The problem has been that Pop apparently erroneously believed/believes Errors to be the better player.

This is just plain silly. Ayres got more playing time early because he came to camp in game shape. Baynes had oppurtunities but failed to impress. Being better than Ayres doesn't make you good. It just makes you well, better than Ayres. Let him play now in meaningless games because he won't be used beyond that unless something catastrophic happens to Splitter, Duncan or Diaw.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-16-2014, 03:09 AM
The Spurs don't have a 4th big. The moment you get high on Baynes, he lets you down.

People were high on Nando after the Chicago and Miami games last year too. How'd that turn out?

Nando's issue was with attitude and not skill. Baynes has not shown the traits of a malcontent at all. Quite the contrary, after he was passed over for Ayers early in the season, he still kept his chin up and worked hard.

szkorhetz
03-16-2014, 03:21 AM
I truly believe that Baynes just got more time in the recent games, because he is really good matchup against Dwight and if We want to get out if the west we'll have to face them.

SpursFan86
03-16-2014, 04:33 AM
I truly believe that Baynes just got more time in the recent games, because he is really good matchup against Dwight and if We want to get out if the west we'll have to face them.

Not necessarily. If OKC and Houston end up as the 2 and 3 seeds, they'd face each other in the 2nd round. Hell, I could see Houston losing to Golden State in the 1st round if Houston is the 4 seed and GS is 5th seed.

exstatic
03-16-2014, 10:04 AM
So do y'all think Baynes has officially taken Ayres spot in the rotation? It's hard to know with Pop. Earlier in the year Baynes had a stretch where he was getting more playing time (and played well), and then for whatever reason Pop went back to only giving him garbage time minutes. Hopefully these past few games have shown Pop that Baynes deserves playing time ahead of Ayres.

Neither one is even in the rotation. They fall somewhere between 10-14 in the hierarchy.

Duncan
Parker
Ginobili
Leonard
Splitter
Diaw
Mills
Belinelli
Green

That's the rotation.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Neither one is even in the rotation. They fall somewhere between 10-14 in the hierarchy.

Duncan
Parker
Ginobili
Leonard
Splitter
Diaw
Mills
Belinelli
Green

That's the rotation.

Nice story. Make up a bullshit definition of 'rotation' then grandstand on it. 12 mpg is part of the rotation as it is 1/4 the game. That is about what Baynes has been getting in the 2nd and 3rd quarters consistently the last 4+ games. That was the role that Ayers had up until the end of the RRT and you considered him to be part of the 'rotation.'

At this point your ship has sank and you are trying to call low tide, no tide. Whatevs. Your boy is relegated to garbage time and Baynes is now the 4th big. It is what it is.

spurraider21
03-16-2014, 01:13 PM
the main issue with baynes is his foul rate, but i think that will improve with time and experience. keep giving him minutes while we're rolling

exstatic
03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Nice story. Make up a bullshit definition of 'rotation' then grandstand on it. 12 mpg is part of the rotation as it is 1/4 the game. That is about what Baynes has been getting in the 2nd and 3rd quarters consistently the last 4+ games. That was the role that Ayers had up until the end of the RRT and you considered him to be part of the 'rotation.'

At this point your ship has sank and you are trying to call low tide, no tide. Whatevs. Your boy is relegated to garbage time and Baynes is now the 4th big. It is what it is.

?? Not trying to position Ayres above Baynes.

You can twist it any way you want, but neither of them are in the rotation, Lumpy. You'll find that out in about two weeks, when both of their hides will be nailed solidly to the bench.

Baam
03-16-2014, 03:32 PM

You can twist it any way you want, but neither of them are in the rotation, Lumpy. You'll find that out in about two weeks, when both of their hides will be nailed solidly to the bench.

Meh last year Bonner was supposed to be out of the rotation and ended up playing plenty of minutes... De Colo was said have won the backup PG position a few days before the POs, that came from Pop's own mouth and then he went with Cojo instead...

Imo one of Mills/Beli is gonna sit on the bench way longer than they're hoping... On the other hand it's very open for a 4th big...

FuzzyLumpkins
03-17-2014, 01:04 AM

Baynes is obviously getting the 4th big minutes. Spin it how you want.

Capt Bringdown
03-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Baynes = not perfect, but a solid banger. Just what the doctor ordered.

ceperez
03-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Yes... I like that he sends out punishment on the opposing team.

wildbill2u
03-18-2014, 03:46 PM
At the post-game interview of Pop the other night, he brought up the improved play of Baynes himself when the questioners didn't. Pop is usually so sparing with praise of players, I thought it was a very nice gesture on his part to give the kid some props.

Hoops Czar
03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

So in other words, he's a poor man's Steve Adams. Yes, I would have to agree. Don't expect too much playing time from him in the postseason but hope he plays well enough down the stretch to end up on an NBA roster next season.

jeebus
03-18-2014, 06:37 PM
So in other words, he's a poor man's Steve Adams. Yes, I would have to agree. Don't expect too much playing time from him in the postseason but hope he plays well enough down the stretch to end up on an NBA roster next season.
Spurms have only 2 bigs on the roster for next season in Shitter and Tammy; if Banes doesn't fuck up the rest of the year, I suspect he'll get resigned here.

Hoops Czar
03-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Spurms have only 2 bigs on the roster for next season in Shitter and Tammy; if Banes doesn't fuck up the rest of the year, I suspect he'll get resigned here.

You'd take Bayns over Diaw?

jeebus
03-18-2014, 06:40 PM
You'd take Bayns over Diaw?
No. But what if Fatty goes somewhere else? I don't think he will but even then, only 3 bigs for the Spurms if Tubs comes back.

Hoops Czar
03-18-2014, 06:56 PM
No. But what if Fatty goes somewhere else? I don't think he will but even then, only 3 bigs for the Spurms if Tubs comes back.

I'm certainly not opposed to seeing him back in a Spurs uniform next season for the right price. There's probably a good chance if he can prove himself over the next month. The Spurs actually have 4 bigs on the roster heading into next season if you count Daye and since they rarely buy players out or make trades, its pretty apparent that we'll be stuck with him.

jeebus
03-18-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm certainly not opposed to seeing him back in a Spurs uniform next season for the right price. There's probably a good chance if he can prove himself over the next month. The Spurs actually have 4 bigs on the roster heading into next season if you count Daye and since they rarely buy players out or make trades, its pretty apparent that we'll be stuck with him.
That hungry nigga's a SF. He's been playing SF his whole career, unless Pop wants to turn him into a new Matt Boner minus Boner's.....interior "defense". :lol

EDIT: just saw on hoopshype that next year for Daye is a team option. so we'll see...

exstatic
03-18-2014, 07:20 PM
That hungry nigga's a SF. He's been playing SF his whole career, unless Pop wants to turn him into a new Matt Boner minus Boner's.....interior "defense". :lol

EDIT: just saw on hoopshype that next year for Daye is a team option. so we'll see...

It's $250K guaranteed for Daye, unless they keep him past 30 June, and then it becomes fully guaranteed, per Sham sports.

You're also forgetting that your favorite PF is also under contract for next year. :lol

Hoops Czar
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Primarily, he is a SF but he's had some experience at PF with Detroit and Memphis so it wouldn't surprise me to see him used at both depending on the matchup. You know how Pop loves versatility.

NBA reference has Daye's contract as partially guaranteed for $250,000 if waived before July 30, 2014, fully guaranteed after that. I don't know which site is more accurate.

jeebus
03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Primarily, he is a SF but he's had some experience at PF with Detroit and Memphis so it wouldn't surprise me to see him used at both depending on the matchup. You know how Pop loves versatility.

NBA reference has Daye's contract as partially guaranteed for $250,000 if waived before July 30, 2014, fully guaranteed after that. I don't know which site is more accurate.
Pft, chump change. If he sucks, it's easier to dump him for a quarter of his full $1 million+ that he's owed.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Baynes will be RFA this offseason.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Pass the plate.

Gummi Clutch
05-06-2014, 09:27 PM
DAT D DOE

SupremeGuy
05-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Just here to pray... :worthy:

Stabula
05-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Wow who the fuck saw this coming?

spursfan1000
05-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Baynes the truth

capek
05-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Been sporting this title sense the end of last season, and it's finally paying off. :lol

timtonymanu
05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Solid minutes for Baynes.

Shastafarian
05-06-2014, 10:10 PM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34.0-12/10291858_10203730929023228_7288594057383337337_n.j pg?oh=8c6994e19ffbc363aeb2a8d5214ea331&oe=536B7A71

sook
05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Baynes could teach the entire rockets team how to play defense.

Rummpd
05-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Might as well build a cathedral after that dunk.

TampaDude
05-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Might as well build a cathedral after that dunk.

Yeah...Baynes basically said "I JUST FUCKED YOUR MOM!" with that one. :lol

~Sweetmelody~
05-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Oops missed this thread but it has to be said again, he was trending on twitter!

EIC
05-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Understatement:

Baynes > Ayers

FuzzyLumpkins
05-07-2014, 12:33 AM
Can I get an amen, brothers and sisters?

Malik Hairston
05-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Baynes was a monster tonight, tbh, damn..

:lol I wonder how he feels about getting paid half of Ayres' salary..

timtonymanu
05-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Yeah I'm not sold on Baynes like a lot of people are, but he was solid tonight.

Doubt he can play that well again, but if he can at least be aggressive in this series it would help the Spurs bigs a lot mainly Duncan.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Baynes showed well when called on last playoff too. He punked Howard last season.

What really encouraged me was he seems to grasp the motion offense much better than he did even a couple of months ago. Pop would put him in there and by the third read in the motion offense he was coming across the formation and trying to run pnr not in the flow. Pop would usually yank him shortly after.

He was much better staying home on the baseline on the weakside and letting the strong side develop before making his read to motion strongside himself. He has been good defensively and he is not out of position and drawing fouls either. That call in the second half he had against him saw him going straight up.

Refs were calling the game more like a regular season game versus what we have been seeing in the playoffs. This is an aside but if the refs continue to not allow defenders to body up on Parker then I see as the favorites to win it all. He is unstoppable without that.

cd021
05-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Can I get an amen, brothers and sisters?

Pretty damn good outing from Baynes. 10 and 7 in 15 minutes, Indiana would kill for that right now with Hibbert.

cd021
05-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Yeah I'm not sold on Baynes like a lot of people are, but he was solid tonight.

Doubt he can play that well again, but if he can at least be aggressive in this series it would help the Spurs bigs a lot mainly Duncan.

Pop didn't want to throw Splitter back in so he put Baynes in as a stop gap after Duncan picked up his 2nd foul. He came up big in limited minutes. He is unlikely to do it again but it shows just how deep this team is. A 3rd string center comes up with 10 and 7 in 15 minutes shows that on any given night any Spur can go off.

cd021
05-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Baynes was a monster tonight, tbh, damn..

:lol I wonder how he feels about getting paid half of Ayres' salary..

And not having a guaranteed contract after this season too

moisaenz
05-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Baynes did not seem as lost as he usually does... Baynes is a good third option at center. although he usually picks up fouls constantly.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-07-2014, 01:16 AM
Pop didn't want to throw Splitter back in so he put Baynes in as a stop gap after Duncan picked up his 2nd foul. He came up big in limited minutes. He is unlikely to do it again but it shows just how deep this team is. A 3rd string center comes up with 10 and 7 in 15 minutes shows that on any given night any Spur can go off.

Baynes has had several games like this throughout the year. You just think he will not get the playing time?

Malik Hairston
05-07-2014, 01:18 AM
It's encouraging that he was able to stay on the floor without being gassed, too..

I thought that he looked winded, at times, during the regular season..

cd021
05-07-2014, 01:59 AM
Baynes has had several games like this throughout the year. You just think he will not get the playing time?

Its likely going to be Duncan, Splitter and Diaw splitting the 96 minutes (48 for PF, 48 for Center) Portland also used Wright at PF meaning the Spurs may have to go small with Leonard at some point. He should have more minutes coming his way, in this series.

I don't expect 10 and 7 ,in the postseason again, but he could leave his mark on this series with some playing time. He has always been particularly good on the glass and is has shown some nice touch around the basket (which can lead to some easy scores with Manu feeding and Diaw passing the ball). Playing with Diaw in the second unit keeps Duncan and Splitter fresh and keeps Diaw from potentially having to matchup with Lopez. Portland is one of the best boarding teams.

Duncan and Splitter are likely to get into foul trouble again, at some point. Pop is probably going to give him another opportunity to fill in as the 4th big. He may see some playing time in game 2 to see if he can provide the energy and effort similar to Thomas Robinson.

Baam
05-07-2014, 02:01 AM
I never got and will never get the way Pop treated Baynes for the past 2 years...

FuzzyLumpkins
05-07-2014, 02:17 AM
I never got and will never get the way Pop treated Baynes for the past 2 years...

I am one of Baynes biggest supporters but it is easy to see why they have him on a short leash. His first year he cam midseason and was completely lost. He was consistently late on his rotations, would make them when not needed, or fail to make them at all. His conditioning was poor and he was an absolute train wreck on offense. He basically could play pnr ice defense, post defense and crash the boards.

He obviously worked hard during the offseason and he came in this season with a firm grasp of the defense. He still was late on some and fouled too much -which he has improved markedly- but the glaring mental errors were gone.

His team offensive game was still a train wreck. He has multiple moves out of each block but we run the motion offense. You know he runs down court after inbounding pg swings the ball through him to the other side, he peels sets a down screen for any help coming from weakside, moves to the weakside baseline, hang out there for a bit and let the strongside develop. It was from there he would screw up.

There are multiple reads you need to make and you have to wait for them. I had not seen him do that consistently until tonight. What he would do is come from the weakside and no matter what start trying to run pnr. Now that is one of the reads but it is not the only read and he fucked up spacing multiple times.

Now what is cool about Baynes is that he never gets caught half stepping so he would set the ball screen and pop Mills, Manu or Tony loose but he as often would bork things by bringing an extra defender. Nevermind how such fuckups discombobulate the offense. If he played for OKC or Houston then that would not be a problem

Splitter had to go through a similar progression.

What worries me about Baynes is his FG%. I think he really needs to sit down and find the spots on the floor where he is going to shoot and stick with it. Now that he understands where he is supposed to be I think that may improve but at times his shot selection leads him to 1-8 nights every now and then.

Baam
05-07-2014, 02:21 AM
Yeah but he has range, good rebounding, can set the best screens... There was zero reason to play a struggling Ayres over him so much for instance given the potential...

ceperez
05-07-2014, 06:32 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnACm52CAAAxNOp.jpg

SpurAddict561
05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Baynes sets some amazing screens, wow. I was thoroughly impressed with that, more so than anything else. That offensive rebound into a dunk off the Tony miss was insane too. Highlight reel Baynes, let's goooooooooooooooooooooo

Capt Bringdown
05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
At one level, basketball is not a complicated game - hence the phrase, "You can't coach height."

There's room on the team and time of the floor for bigs who simply protect the basket/lane, rebound & toss in garbage baskets.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-07-2014, 08:37 AM
What happened to Baynes during the season anyway? I remember he was doing pretty damn well for a couple of games and then he suddenly dropped off big time, and his playing time followed.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-07-2014, 08:46 AM
What happened to Baynes during the season anyway? I remember he was doing pretty damn well for a couple of games and then he suddenly dropped off big time, and his playing time followed.

Injured. He pulled a back muscle, sustained an severe knee bruise, and fracture a rib over the course of the season limited him to just over 50 games played. Looks like he is ready to get back down to business.

bigfan
05-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Its nice to have a big ole galoot to throw at the opposition just to mess with their heads. You know Portland didn't even think about him before the game; hell they might be a bit worried about him now. Well done Pop.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-07-2014, 09:24 AM
:worthy:

LongtimeSpursFan
05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Baynes did not seem as lost as he usually does... Baynes is a good third option at center. although he usually picks up fouls constantly.

Baynes had a great first half but he also made four mistakes in that half as well. He traveled on the offensive end, had his hands down after LA had stopped his dribble (which allowed LA to shoot over him and score), goal tending, and one other which I forgot). It is these type of mental errors that will keep him from getting more time on the floor.

cjw
05-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Going to have a new unsung hero come forward in each round. Next will be CoJo to annoy the heck out of Westbrook / Jackson and in the finals, Daye will give Lebron all he can handle. With Damion James to dribble out the clock in game 4 in Miami.

spurraider21
05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Vt0A6rWJM

jeebus
05-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Baynes had a great first half but he also made four mistakes in that half as well. He traveled on the offensive end, had his hands down after LA had stopped his dribble (which allowed LA to shoot over him and score), goal tending, and one other which I forgot). It is these type of mental errors that will keep him from getting more time on the floor.
:lol 4 mistakes is nothing to freak out about. How many games has Tony or Timmy or Manu had where they made mistakes, let alone just 4? And yet, you're spazzing out about traveling, a close goal tend, and having hands down. If Baynes made no mistakes every time he was on the court, he'd be getting Roy Hibbert money. C'mon now.

BackHome
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
And not having a guaranteed contract after this season too

Yeah I wonder if they just not playing him so they can sign him to a longer deal?

BackHome
05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Baynes sets some amazing screens, wow. I was thoroughly impressed with that, more so than anything else. That offensive rebound into a dunk off the Tony miss was insane too. Highlight reel Baynes, let's goooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah he can really help out our three point shooters with his wide bod tough to get around him........That Dunk Was Nasty.....:)

The_Worlds_finest
05-07-2014, 08:06 PM
What will Portland do to guard Baynes?

heyheymymy
05-07-2014, 08:24 PM
baynes is a total wild card and it's hilarious to think what was going on in the heads of the por coaching staff when he came in an threw down.

Jenks
05-08-2014, 08:43 AM
No one nationally knowing who Baynes is is proof that no one watched game 4 of the first round last year. When you see a guy manhandle Dwight Howard, you learn his name pretty fast.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Seems that the Great Baynes has solidified his spot as the 4th big. Minutes speak loudest and he is getting them over the other two shitbags. He only is only getting about one shift, the 6 minute blocks that Pop seems to use for his substitutions, per game but he does seem to trust him in that role.

Duncan was moving around better in game 5 but he was decidedly slothful in game 4. Managing his minutes is more important than ever.

He isn't shooting anything but putbacks or desperation shots at the end of the shot clock but that is good. He needs to work on his shot selection. His rim protection is excellent. While overall he is not on Duncan's level, he has the hops to bother athletic penetrators which is something no one else on the squad can do.

MeloHype
05-15-2014, 09:40 AM
http://s27.postimg.org/qx2cxk99v/baynesj.jpg

jeebus
05-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Seriously, how did he not get regular minutes over that faggot Uh Huh? Playing him a couple games then sitting for a couple weeks, of course he'll look shitty.

Oh look! He's getting normal minutes in the playoffs and is producing! My nigga.

davidbowie
05-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Dude turned the game around. Saved that 3rd quarter for us. We have t looked back since. Needs more mins

ShoogarBear
05-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Dude marked his territory.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Fuck pop for not playing him earlier in the year, i still dont know why he favored errors over him...

tim_duncan_fan
05-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Thank you, Baynes God.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-21-2014, 12:41 PM
We only accept donations that fold. Time to pay your respects.

The travesty is that his jersey is not sold in the pro shop. As a true believer, I was undeterred. Had one made.

Embedded
05-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Seriously, how did he not get regular minutes over that faggot Uh Huh? Playing him a couple games then sitting for a couple weeks, of course he'll look shitty.

Oh look! He's getting normal minutes in the playoffs and is producing! My nigga.

LMFAO @ jeebus

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2014, 05:24 PM
RC Buford, do something good for once and sign Baynes

Jeff Ayres/Bonner in the regular season + playoff rotation is suicide

xmas1997
07-14-2014, 01:13 AM
I don't think he has signed his QO yet.

Ice009
07-14-2014, 03:21 AM
How did Baynes do in the summer league last year?

I really want Ayres off the team. I just want the Spurs to straight cut him and Austin Daye. I have no idea why they signed Ayres and why they picked up Daye's option. I thought Daye was going to be let go.

Hopefully Baynes isn't watching this because if Ayres is getting more money than him, I'm not sure he'd want to come back for less money than what Ayres is getting paid. How much is the QO for Baynes?

spurraider21
07-14-2014, 04:05 AM
its unlikely they cut Ayres given that his salary is fully guaranteed, and its at 1.8 million. unless we find a team dumb enough to want him via trade, we're stuck with him for this season. we could have gotten out of Austin Daye a couple of weeks ago, but his salary became guaranteed, so its unlikely that he gets cut either. He is due a more modest 1 million. those 2 roster spots could have been really useful, too

Ice009
07-14-2014, 04:26 AM
its unlikely they cut Ayres given that his salary is fully guaranteed, and its at 1.8 million. unless we find a team dumb enough to want him via trade, we're stuck with him for this season. we could have gotten out of Austin Daye a couple of weeks ago, but his salary became guaranteed, so its unlikely that he gets cut either. He is due a more modest 1 million. those 2 roster spots could have been really useful, too

Why would the Spurs not cut them? They cut Ron Mercer back in the day, who I'm pretty sure was on a much bigger contract. They also cut Stephen Jackson, not sure how much he had left owing, though. If they need a roster spot, I don't see why they wouldn't/couldn't cut either of them, as I don't think they are near the luxury tax either.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to want either of them in a trade, so they're going to have to cut them if they want to get rid of them IMO.

The only trade value Ayres might have is for a team that seriously wants to tank. He would be very good for that. For anything else, I don't think anyone would want him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-14-2014, 05:18 AM
So we have 15 on the roster right now (including Bonner): http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

I too don't see a future for Ayers and Daye, but I guess the coaches see something in them that we don't, or management don't see the point in moving guys who should be capable of holding down the 14th and 15th spots. Probably does mean we're not doing anything with the MLE though, unless some of the young guys are assigned to the Toros. Anyone tell me the detail on how that works with roster limits at the start of the season?