PDA

View Full Version : Kinda off topic..

barakz21
10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
But I went to my first NBA game last night, between the Heat and the Nets and I just realized it's a totally different experience compared to watching it on TV. For some reason, everything looks so big on TV, and then your realize it's not. It's still surreal seeing Lebron and the other stars on the court and in the flesh (My Westbrook experience doesn't count, since it was at the airport). Speaking of Lebron, the guy was a bully. There's a ton of banging when he's bodying up the defender, something that's not as noticeable when you watch the game on TV. The one thing that disappointed me was the energy. I really didn't feel any energy in myself. Considering that was my first NBA game, I should have been pumped up.mI guess that's because I'm not a fan of either team (no spurfan can ever root for a team KG is on). This makes me want to see the Spurs live even more.

Anyway, what were your live game experiences like?

hooperflash
10-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Euphoria.

SpursRock20
10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
To the OP: Keep in mind that it was a preseason game. Certainly the energy is not going to be as high as it normally should be.

My first NBA experience came when I was 9 years old back in '01 while I was living in S.A. My Uncle scored some "good seats" (we were about 30 rows up) and we went to go see the Raptors take on our Spurs. I really remember noticing how quiet the game was. When watching, you can hear the ball hit the rim and the players' chatter, but while at the game, the arena noise drowns out all of the sound on the court.

Another thing worth remembering from my first game is all the hecklers that were really giving it to Vince Carter that night. It must have been some point in the third quarter when one woman had enough. She started yelling at the men who were dissing Carter from just a row behind us and a few seats across. At the end of her rant, she was visibly steamed and she exclaimed that Vince was her son! There was two things that immediately popped up into my head: Number 1, "Wow! I am pretty close to the mother of one of the best basketball players on the planet (he was back then)." Number 2, "Dang Vince, you couldn't score your mom some better seats?!" Although we lost, that was the night I became a Spurs fan for life and began my transition from the casual to the hardcore Spurs fan that I am today.

barakz21
10-18-2013, 11:45 AM
To the OP: Keep in mind that it was a preseason game. Certainly the energy is not going to be as high as it normally should be.

My first NBA experience came when I was 9 years old back in '01 while I was living in S.A. My Uncle scored some "good seats" (we were about 30 rows up) and we went to go see the Raptors take on our Spurs. I really remember noticing how quiet the game was. When watching, you can hear the ball hit the rim and the players' chatter, but while at the game, the arena noise drowns out all of the sound on the court.

Another thing worth remembering from my first game is all the hecklers that were really giving it to Vince Carter that night. It must have been some point in the third quarter when one woman had enough. She started yelling at the men who were dissing Carter from just a row behind us and a few seats across. At the end of her rant, she was visibly steamed and she exclaimed that Vince was her son! There was two things that immediately popped up into my head: Number 1, "Wow! I am pretty close to the mother of one of the best basketball players on the planet (he was back then)." Number 2, "Dang Vince, you couldn't score your mom some better seats?!" Although we lost, that was the night I became a Spurs fan for life and began my transition from the casual to the hardcore Spurs fan that I am today.

I guess you're right, because the energy was totally different during JKidd's jersey retirement as compared to the game itself.

Wow, that must have been some experience. I just hope I get to se the Spurs live, with the big 3 still intact. Oh, and your number 2 was hilarious!

spurs10
10-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I guess you're right, because the energy was totally different during JKidd's jersey retirement as compared to the game itself.

Wow, that must have been some experience. I just hope I get to se the Spurs live, with the big 3 still intact. Oh, and your number 2 was hilarious! Yeah I'm sure when you see your team and the big 3 together it will be a totally different experience. Make it a point to see them while you can. You sound like a big fan so I'm hoping you'll get the chance. Lucky thing, with Manu signed for another two years, you'll probably get the chance.:flag:

CitizenDwayne
10-18-2013, 12:29 PM
My first NBA "game" will be a Pelicans-Wizards preseason game tomorrow, which I'm not really expecting much from. Just kinda got the tickets dropped in my lap.

I will, however, be going to Indy to see the Spurs in the spring. Looking forward to that one.

boutons_deux
10-18-2013, 12:33 PM
I was at the Lakers@Spurs game where the league-leading spurs lost by 30 and never recovered that season

I was amazed at how fast the player movement is, and how skinny they are. The crowd distracts me from the game. I much prefer TV and see a lot more basketball with all the camera angles and replays.

barakz21
10-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Yeah I'm sure when you see your team and the big 3 together it will be a totally different experience. Make it a point to see them while you can. You sound like a big fan so I'm hoping you'll get the chance. Lucky thing, with Manu signed for another two years, you'll probably get the chance.:flag:

Prices man, prices are what's preventing me from doing so. I'm studying in New York, and my class was talking about going to a Knicks game. $70, against the Bobcats. Can't even imagine what the cost would be like if it was against a team like the spurs. :depressed

barakz21
10-18-2013, 02:17 PM
I was at the Lakers@Spurs game where the league-leading spurs lost by 30 and never recovered that season

I was amazed at how fast the player movement is, and how skinny they are. The crowd distracts me from the game. I much prefer TV and see a lot more basketball with all the camera angles and replays.

Skinny? I think they looked bigger on TV (the players), but Lebron sure looked huge. And yeah, I do agree that the crowd can be distracting, although that may be because I'm not exactly a Nets fan. And the jumbotron is kind of distracting, especially if you're at the nosebleed section.

Baseline
10-18-2013, 04:10 PM
A lot depends on how close your seats are to the court. I played in college, but today's NBA players are so big and strong and fast that they blow my mind. If you're close to the court, you're astounded at the pounding and punishment their bodies take. And in the lane, there's very little space because everybody's so huge. I live in LA and see a lot of Clipper games, and fortunately my seats are behind the Clipper bench, so watching Blake and DeAndre rock the rim and Chris Paul control the floor is simply amazing. Another thing CP3 does that almost defies reality is how he seeks traffic, especially the big guys. He's so good with the dribble that he can venture into the lane without even trying to score, draw traffic, and linger in the traffic in order to find an open man. So his orchestration, to me, is unparalleled in the league. He's a little dude and he's not the quickest guy anymore, but his understanding of what's happening on the floor makes it look like he's a high school senior playing with 8th graders.

xellos88330
10-18-2013, 04:28 PM
My first NBA basketball game was luckily the Memorial Day Miracle game. It blew my fucking mind. I made it a point to become a season ticket holder on my return to SA after military service, and fulfilled that personal vow 5 years ago. I will have my tickets till the day I die and with luck I could pass them down to my kids.

TXstbobcat
10-18-2013, 04:33 PM
My 1st nba game was at hemisphere arena against the bucks the year before David Robinson joined the team. I've been a spurs fan ever since then.

Hoops Czar
10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
My first NBA basketball game was luckily the Memorial Day Miracle game. It blew my fucking mind. I made it a point to become a season ticket holder on my return to SA after military service, and fulfilled that personal vow 5 years ago. I will have my tickets till the day I die and with luck I could pass them down to my kids.

Memories that will last a lifetime if it's true. Not that I don't believe you, but You'd be suprisd how many phonies claimed to be at that game. I'm talking thosands.....

xellos88330
10-18-2013, 06:34 PM
^Completely agree. It is hard for someone to actually state truth on the internet without encountering doubt from their peers.

It definitely will last a lifetime for me because I can see myself on the championship DVD when they show the MDM shot with the baseline crowd.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
10-18-2013, 06:48 PM

I think I went to the same game bro, I was like 8 or 9 then, but we sat in the 5 or 6th row, Closest ive ever sat. VC used to be my favorite player that's why my dad took me to that game. I don't remember much about it but I remember the Spurs lost tho so it had to be the same one. That shit cray

SpursRock20
10-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I think I went to the same game bro, I was like 8 or 9 then, but we sat in the 5 or 6th row, Closest ive ever sat. VC used to be my favorite player that's why my dad took me to that game. I don't remember much about it but I remember the Spurs lost tho so it had to be the same one. That shit cray
Man, that is crazy! :toast

spurs10
10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Prices man, prices are what's preventing me from doing so. I'm studying in New York, and my class was talking about going to a Knicks game. $70, against the Bobcats. Can't even imagine what the cost would be like if it was against a team like the spurs. :depressed Yeah, the ticket prices are nuts, especially for a student. In San Antonio they have a special program for students. They get notified of unsold seats before a game and can buy tickets for 1/2 price. See if either of the teams have student discounts.

crc21209
10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
There's nothing like watching an NBA game in person. I had been to many regular season games and even a handful of playoff games in previous years, but man going to an NBA Finals game is the best experience I've had as far as live sports go. It cost me an arm :lol, but I wasn't missing out on the Finals this past season. It was worth every penny, especially because they won (Game 3 where Green and Neal went nuts from 3).

barakz21
10-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah, the ticket prices are nuts, especially for a student. In San Antonio they have a special program for students. They get notified of unsold seats before a game and can buy tickets for 1/2 price. See if either of the teams have student discounts.

Got it, thanks for the heads up man! I'll definitely check it out if there any way to get cheap tickets.

spursfan1000
10-18-2013, 09:17 PM
I sadly dont remember my first nba game,

TheyCallMePro
10-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I usually don't go to games either, but I did go to game 5 of the Spurs/Warriors series this year. Here we my impressions:

-The crowd was extremely distracting. I guess it's something you get used to when you go to games, but for me it was a burden. And I was trying my haardest to pay attention.

-I was very impressed with Ginobli's defense. He was by far the most tenacious defender on the team, and he guarded Klay Thompson, Jarret Jack, and Steph Curry brilliantly throughout the game. Never knew him to be a lock-down defender, but he was that game.

-Steph Curry is small, but has bony muscles. Also, he doesn't play a shred of defense, and doesn't hustle on either end. He kind of just lopes up and down the court. Not impressed

-In person it was very easy to see that we were the better team. We won in a blowout, but I just remember being surprised just how much better we looked than them

-I wish I had stayed home and watched it. Because although I took away that we were truly the better team and got some good scouting in on their and our players, the game itself was hard to pay attention to. Basically you don't even pay attention to the score/how many timeouts you have/how much time is left. You just watch the game play out and cheer when something good happens. Then the quarter suddenly ends and you look up at the scoreboard finally and you're like "Oh, were up 8...cool."