PDA

View Full Version : Neither Duncan or Parker in the ESPN Top 10

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Parker is #12 and Duncan is #16.

Paul George was 13, D-Wade 18, Kobe 25.

Leonard was 25 I believe.

It's Paul George really that much better than Leonard?

Skull-1
10-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Parker is #12 and Duncan is #16.

Paul George was 13, D-Wade 18, Kobe 25.

Leonard was 25 I believe.

It's Paul George really that much better than Leonard?Based on last year Duncan was Top Five IMHO. Particularly considering his awesome D.

200 miles
10-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Actually Leonard was number 34. The list is absolute shit if you ask me.

Hoops Czar
10-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Wade #18 in his dreams.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Just to put these grades in perspective, at point guard this means Rose, Curry, Irving and Westbrook are ahead of Parker (keep in mind, Westbrook is injured) and Howard, Alriddge, Griffin and Love are ahead of Duncan.

Johnny RIngo
10-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Based on last year Duncan was Top Five IMHO. Particularly considering his awesome D.

Duncan was clearly top ten last year, based on the impact statisitics. But I don't know why people are surprised about these ratings. ESPN has always used boxscore stats when evaluating players. Going by those standards, no Spurs should be expected to be in the top ten.

Hoops Czar
10-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Duncan was clearly top ten last year, based on the impact statisitics. But I don't know why people are surprised about these ratings. ESPN has always used boxscore stats when evaluating players. Going by those standards, no Spurs should be expected to be in the top ten.

They're using sabermetrics. What do you think they should be using, intangibles?

Lady M
10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
12 is the best rank for TP, he was 5 and 6 in the MVP vote
maybe ESPN can think about the ranking

FromWayDowntown
10-18-2013, 05:25 PM
They're using sabermetrics. What do you think they should be using, intangibles?

Actually, they're just using a poll of 215 basketball people ranking players predictively on a scale from 1 to 10, developing an average, and ranking the players according to those averages.

The ranking is just filler; putting any stock in it at all is pretty absurd.

trypldubl
10-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Duncan is ahead of Aldridge and should be ahead of Blake but I can see why Howard and Love are ahead of him. Love is going to put up some monster stats this year and Howard is going to have a better year then last.

As for Parker only Paul and Rose should be ahead of him. Westbrook if healthy would be also but it's too soon to tell because of the knee. Curry and Irving should not be. It is what is is though.

chapnis
10-19-2013, 04:47 AM
No way is Blake Griffin a better basketball player than Duncan. Parker is definitely top 10. And Melo should be higher than 15.

will_spurs
10-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Duncan is ahead of Aldridge and should be ahead of Blake but I can see why Howard and Love are ahead of him. Love is going to put up some monster stats this year and Howard is going to have a better year then last.

As for Parker only Paul and Rose should be ahead of him. Westbrook if healthy would be also but it's too soon to tell because of the knee. Curry and Irving should not be. It is what is is though.

As usual all this isn't substantiated by fact in any way, shape or form.

Love is a stats machine with no drive and no bb iq. Howard, well, even if Howard has a better season than last, it still won't be as good as Duncan's, and the world knows what they are worth head-to-head.

Rose is injured and there's no indication that he can still play at the same level he used to. Only thing we know for sure is that he's a mental weakling and a coward. Westbrook improved last year in terms of decision making and cutting his awful turnover rate, but it's not unlikely that his injury will have adverse effects on his play going forward.

Long story short, Duncan is the most valuable big in the league right now (and the metrics I'm using isn't "stuffing the boxscore" or "jersey sales") and Parker is toe-to-toe with Paul.

That's why the Spurs were seconds away from a 5th title and the other weren't (well, except Miami obviously).

skulls138
10-19-2013, 05:56 AM

As for Parker only Paul and Rose should be ahead of him. Westbrook if healthy would be also but it's too soon to tell because of the knee. Curry and Irving should not be. It is what is is though.I guess you didnt happen to watch the playoffs, the finals and who won more games. You know the reason everyone is playing. Well let me tell you that the Spurs made it to the Finals and nearly won the whole thing. Howard was a complete joke, Love...who fckn cares, Paul lost AGAIN, Rose didnt play....

racm
10-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Love is too injury prone and isn't a factor on defense. Howard isn't a factor on offense unless he's spoon-fed shots.

mountainballer
10-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Actually, they're just using a poll of 215 basketball people ranking players predictively on a scale from 1 to 10, developing an average, and ranking the players according to those averages.

The ranking is just filler; putting any stock in it at all is pretty absurd.

ah, finally a reasonable post. thanks.
most here still won't listen and continue to dance around a burning ESPN flag.
the ranking is what it is. the result of the estimations of a number of people. and estimations, even those of experts, turn out to be wrong quite a few times. otherwise we all would be multi millionairs because every week we bet on the right results. and guess what, even the best experts didn't become millionairs because they knew how things turn out.

btw. did noone realise that outside Manu and Boris all players of the likely regular rotation are ranked higher than last season?
(TP +4, TD +11, KL +61, TS +38, DG +47, MBel +38, CJ +178, JA +97).

dbreiden83080
10-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Where is the list?

Juggity
10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't understand how they rank players who've been injured for most or all of the last year.

Players like Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, etc, should not be on the list, let alone the top 10.

trypldubl
10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I guess you didnt happen to watch the playoffs, the finals and who won more games. You know the reason everyone is playing. Well let me tell you that the Spurs made it to the Finals and nearly won the whole thing. Howard was a complete joke, Love...who fckn cares, Paul lost AGAIN, Rose didnt play....

Dude I was talking about how I can understand why ESPN put those guys ahead of Duncan and and Parker. This has everything to do with regular season projections and not playoffs. You need to pay attention and understand what this thread is about. Oh course I would put Duncan ahead of all PF and centers in a playoff game right now.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 09:53 AM
ah, finally a reasonable post. thanks.
most here still won't listen and continue to dance around a burning ESPN flag.
the ranking is what it is. the result of the estimations of a number of people. and estimations, even those of experts, turn out to be wrong quite a few times. otherwise we all would be multi millionairs because every week we bet on the right results. and guess what, even the best experts didn't become millionairs because they knew how things turn out.

btw. did noone realise that outside Manu and Boris all players of the likely regular rotation are ranked higher than last season?
(TP +4, TD +11, KL +61, TS +38, DG +47, MBel +38, CJ +178, JA +97).

No matter how high they rank Spur players, Vegas still ranks the Clippers to win the Western Conference with the Spurs odds to come in second in the West.