PDA

View Full Version : George Gervin fans?

Prime Time
10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Off-topic thread, but I'm curious on how many users here are big George Gervin fans. I don't mean the casual "Yeah he played for the Spurs so he's cool" support, I mean being an actual fan of his game.

I'm only 17 so I never got to witness Gervin live by any means... But I love watching clips of his games, or highlight reels of his best moments. He's my third favorite Spur of all time behind Tim and Kawhi.

Lol Kawhi being in my top 3 just shows how new I am :lol

But you gotta admit, It's amazing to think of how blessed the Spurs are to be given 4 down-to-earth stars. Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, and now Leonard? Can you get any more humble?

barakz21
10-19-2013, 05:13 PM
To ride the OP's coat tails, any guys here who've seen the iceman play? I'm just curious which current or modern NBA player comes closest to him in terms of playing style?

xmas1997
10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Off-topic thread, but I'm curious on how many users here are big George Gervin fans. I don't mean the casual "Yeah he played for the Spurs so he's cool" support, I mean being an actual fan of his game.

I'm only 17 so I never got to witness Gervin live by any means... But I love watching clips of his games, or highlight reels of his best moments. He's my third favorite Spur of all time behind Tim and Kawhi.

Lol Kawhi being in my top 3 just shows how new I am :lol

But you gotta admit, It's amazing to think of how blessed the Spurs are to be given 4 down-to-earth stars. Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, and now Leonard? Can you get any more humble?

The Iceman was poetry in motion.

Spurs have been blessed with other great stars you forgot.
Captain Late (Si) James Silas, Johnny Moore (00), Sean Elliott (Ninja), Manu, Bruce Bowen, and Tony Parker

ElNono
10-19-2013, 05:35 PM
DRob, don't forget 5-0

xmas1997
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
DRob, don't forget 5-0

Could never forget the Admiral, but he mentioned him.

But I left Avery Johnson out on purpose.

SenorSpur
10-19-2013, 06:09 PM
I was fortunate to have witnessed the Iceman's exploits on many occasions. He was truly one of most explosive and creative scorers the NBA has ever seen. Inside, outside, around the basket, bank shots, fingerolls, he attacked from any angle. He didn't shoot many 3-pt shots. It's amazing that he shot 51% for his career and made it look very easy.

Axegrinder
10-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Ya, Ice was awesome. It was he, Dr J and pistol Pete that got me into the game as a kid

xmas1997
10-19-2013, 06:29 PM
I was fortunate to have witnessed the Iceman's exploits on many occasions. He was truly one of most explosive and creative scorers the NBA has ever seen. Inside, outside, around the basket, bank shots, fingerolls, he attacked from any angle. He didn't shoot many 3-pt shots. It's amazing that he shot 51% for his career and made it look very easy.

Was the 3 point shot even part of the NBA back then?

silverblk mystix
10-19-2013, 06:50 PM
To ride the OP's coat tails, any guys here who've seen the iceman play? I'm just curious which current or modern NBA player comes closest to him in terms of playing style?

I grew up watching the Iceman and he was a joy to watch.

Have you ever watched a game and seen someone make a move or a play that you just laugh out loud because the play was just jaw dropping and almost miraculous?

This is what is was like watching Gervin. He looked so frail and didn't move very fast - he glided - but he would drive into the lane - get hit three or four times - spin - throw up a prayer - I mean a finger roll from just below the free throw line - (if you have ever seen Manu doing a trick shot while goofing around - it seems to be the same - except this was in a game!) - and kiss it off the glass.

Some games - the Spurs needed a spark and you just knew that Gervin was going to take over. I would literally laugh out loud that no matter who was guarding him - no matter how much stronger, faster or bigger he was - Gervin was unstoppable.

I watched him when he got thirty some points in a quarter - and most of those shots were like something out of a H-O-R-S-E game - just unbelievable accurate trick shot after trick shot. Unfuckinstoppable.

I remember when the scoring title was at stake and David Thompson scored 73 freakin points - and Gervin was to play later that evening.

The opponent knew that Gervin needed something like 45 or 50 points to win the scoring title so they tried to double him - tried to triple him -

lolololol

Ice scored 63 points and won the scoring title.

He is up there for me with D Rob,Timmy and Manu and Parker - but I would put Gervin #1. When the Spurs were robbed in 79' - I think it was the biggest crime to rob the Iceman of a well deserved title.

xmas1997
10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
I think he got a ring in '99, not as a player of course, but because he was part of the organization. You could see the huge smile on his face in the River parade. It made me feel great.

barakz21
10-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I grew up watching the Iceman and he was a joy to watch.

Have you ever watched a game and seen someone make a move or a play that you just laugh out loud because the play was just jaw dropping and almost miraculous?

This is what is was like watching Gervin. He looked so frail and didn't move very fast - he glided - but he would drive into the lane - get hit three or four times - spin - throw up a prayer - I mean a finger roll from just below the free throw line - (if you have ever seen Manu doing a trick shot while goofing around - it seems to be the same - except this was in a game!) - and kiss it off the glass.

Some games - the Spurs needed a spark and you just knew that Gervin was going to take over. I would literally laugh out loud that no matter who was guarding him - no matter how much stronger, faster or bigger he was - Gervin was unstoppable.

I watched him when he got thirty some points in a quarter - and most of those shots were like something out of a H-O-R-S-E game - just unbelievable accurate trick shot after trick shot. Unfuckinstoppable.

I remember when the scoring title was at stake and David Thompson scored 73 freakin points - and Gervin was to play later that evening.

The opponent knew that Gervin needed something like 45 or 50 points to win the scoring title so they tried to double him - tried to triple him -

lolololol

Ice scored 63 points and won the scoring title.

He is up there for me with D Rob,Timmy and Manu and Parker - but I would put Gervin #1. When the Spurs were robbed in 79' - I think it was the biggest crime to rob the Iceman of a well deserved title.

Wow, that is an in depth description of his game. Thanks a lot man. So, which current or modern player best resembles the iceman's game? I remember he was asked that question, and he answered KD, but only in terms of build since their games were totally different.

silverblk mystix
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow, that is an in depth description of his game. Thanks a lot man. So, which current or modern player best resembles the iceman's game? I remember he was asked that question, and he answered KD, but only in terms of build since their games were totally different.

I can see a couple of similarities with Ice & KD - but I guess KD is more athletic while Ice would be smoother.

Give KD a little less herky-jerky and more smoothness and he would be close.

Can't think of anyone else that compares too closely - Ice had his own thing going - and seemed to defy his looks. When you saw how easily he could dominate - then looked at his frail looking body and it just didn't seem to compute. He never looked like he was trying that hard lol.

barakz21
10-19-2013, 09:48 PM
I can see a couple of similarities with Ice & KD - but I guess KD is more athletic while Ice would be smoother.

Give KD a little less herky-jerky and more smoothness and he would be close.

Can't think of anyone else that compares too closely - Ice had his own thing going - and seemed to defy his looks. When you saw how easily he could dominate - then looked at his frail looking body and it just didn't seem to compute. He never looked like he was trying that hard lol.

Man, in, it sure is great to know some old timers. Makes us younger guys know what the legends from the other eras were like. Thanks a lot sir, you've really upped my interest in the iceman! :toast

baseline bum
10-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Ice is awesome. I sat in the seat behind him on a flight from Las Vegas the first week of last season and we were talking about how much fun Hemisfair Arena was and how he thought the Spurs had a really good team for 2012-13. He was signing autographs and talking to everyone around. Just an all around awesome guy who really appreciates his fans, and what a player to watch he was. I can really see the Durant comparison with Ice.

SenorSpur
10-20-2013, 02:55 AM
Yes

lefty
10-20-2013, 04:51 AM
http://static5.imagecollect.com/preview/560/ddbfe6f456c022f

barakz21
10-20-2013, 09:21 AM
With he exception of Russell, I think it's pretty cool that each legend was wearing the color of the teams they played on. Lol

Budkin
10-20-2013, 11:47 AM
I met him at a Toros event here in Austin. One of the friendliest guys ever. I only started watching the NBA in the last couple years of his career, but I became a history buff for the league and managed to see many many highlights. That finger roll, that acrobatic style... he was about as graceful a player as you can get.

hater
10-21-2013, 03:23 AM
http://static5.imagecollect.com/preview/560/ddbfe6f456c022f

wtf is that scrub clyde doing inthere?

50Bestspurever
10-21-2013, 03:25 AM
The only word that comes to mind when describing him play (besides ice of course) was slick. the man was just slick. i am 40 grew up going to the arena to watch him play. Felt so blessed to watch. In my day every kid in CYO always wanted to be #44. Oh and he was a hell of guy off the court. Ice always made time for the fans and he truly loves San Antonio. God bless Ice.

Old School 44
10-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Incredible player. One of the greatest "shot makers" ever. At the time, a pioneer as one of the only big (or should I say tall) shooting guards in the league. The body control, the angles, the different ball spins off the glass, the finger rolls...just an amazing offensive machine. I remember one drive where he beat his man, the defense collapsed, he looked like he was going to shoot a reverse layup on the opposite side, but a defender closed to shut that option, so at the last second, in the air and under the basket, he extended his arm towards the front of the rim, and smoothly flipped the ball up and in. Ah...the memories.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
It was a truly sad day in San Antonio when they traded him away, but I think a lot of that had to do with his cocaine use.

wildbill2u
10-21-2013, 11:11 AM
George Gervin is the reason that the Spurs went into the NBA and also the reason that pro basketball became a success in San Antonio with a dynamic fan base that loves our Spurs like no other.

You have to remember (or watch some of the documentaries on NBA-TV occasionally which feature the old ABA teams and stars) that the ABA was a league with a lot of flash, great players, but no fan support in a lot of cities. The ABA was about to fold, and when the "merger" occurred, it was really an unconditional surrender on the part of the ABA teams.

San Antonio went from a city without any serious basketball tradition to a city of rabid fans for their only professional team. San Antonio was a very small market, although it was financially and professionally a success. So Angelo was able to negotiate the Spurs entrance into a league that turned up its nose at the upstarts with their 3 pt shot and red white and blue ball.

The success of the Spurs didn't happen with several pro football teams in minor leagues, although Texas is acknowledged as a football hotbed, so what was the difference?

For my money, it was George Gervin. Basketball is a game of individual stars and Gervin was more than a team star, he was a superstar. He gave the fans a great entertainment value for the price of their tickets. At each and every game there was at least one impossibly creative shot that made me turn to the people around me in the stands and say, "That's the play that pays for my ticket." How many other players in the game--past or present--can be put into that category? For sure they are with him in the Top Fifty of all time. If you need another opinion, the incomparable Dr. J said that Gervin was the player he most enjoyed watching.

Unfortunately, the amount of highlight film on Gervin's exploits is slim for some reason. I went to his retirement banquet and the highlight film that the Spurs provided was woefully short.

But if you enjoy today's Spurs, a storied franchise that competes with teams with huge markets, remember that the early days were successful too and without George Gervin there probably wouldn't be a Spurs franchise.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 11:28 AM
George Gervin is the reason that the Spurs went into the NBA and also the reason that pro basketball became a success in San Antonio with a dynamic fan base that loves our Spurs like no other.

You have to remember (or watch some of the documentaries on NBA-TV occasionally which feature the old ABA teams and stars) that the ABA was a league with a lot of flash, great players, but no fan support in a lot of cities. The ABA was about to fold, and when the "merger" occurred, it was really an unconditional surrender on the part of the ABA teams.

San Antonio went from a city without any serious basketball tradition to a city of rabid fans for their only professional team. San Antonio was a very small market, although it was financially and professionally a success. So Angelo was able to negotiate the Spurs entrance into a league that turned up its nose at the upstarts with their 3 pt shot and red white and blue ball.

The success of the Spurs didn't happen with several pro football teams in minor leagues, although Texas is acknowledged as a football hotbed, so what was the difference?

For my money, it was George Gervin. Basketball is a game of individual stars and Gervin was more than a team star, he was a superstar. He gave the fans a great entertainment value for the price of their tickets. At each and every game there was at least one impossibly creative shot that made me turn to the people around me in the stands and say, "That's the play that pays for my ticket." How many other players in the game--past or present--can be put into that category? For sure they are with him in the Top Fifty of all time. If you need another opinion, the incomparable Dr. J said that Gervin was the player he most enjoyed watching.

Unfortunately, the amount of highlight film on Gervin's exploits is slim for some reason. I went to his retirement banquet and the highlight film that the Spurs provided was woefully short.

But if you enjoy today's Spurs, a storied franchise that competes with teams with huge markets, remember that the early days were successful too and without George Gervin there probably wouldn't be a Spurs franchise.

This is very true. To a certain extent you can add Capt. Late (Silas), Johnny Moore (00), the Bruise Brothers, and Kenon, but the superstar among those great stars was Ice. For sure without him there would be no San Antonio Spurs today. This tradition was carried on by DRob, and now to TD, TP, and Manu. We will see if Kawhi carries it further.

ace3g
04-13-2020, 12:36 AM
https://twitter.com/ringernba/status/1249431091863154688

dbestpro
04-13-2020, 11:49 AM
For me, Gervin is the best Spur player ever. When he was on, no one would stop him. His defense was not great but the Spurs had the bruise brothers to beat other teams up and their was no bail out three point shot in the NBA then. Just an unbelievable talent. I first saw him play against the Bullets in the playoffs when I was a young soldier at Fort Sam. Years later we would become friends. He is one of the easiest guys to get to know of any Spur ever. A great ambassador for the team.

lefty
04-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Ice is a such a cool nickname
ANd that ice ball photo is really iconic

Slightly off topic : if anyone tells you dUrAnt cOulDn't HsVe pLaYeD in the 80s-90s, show him a picture of Gervin

Harry Callahan
04-13-2020, 06:14 PM
I have a NIKE Ice poster from my childhood.

Probably saw Gervin play in person 8-10 times through the years living in the SA area. Hundreds of times on TV. He was much taller than his defender and could contort his body a hundred different ways to get the shot off.

Of course his finger roll was special. He could just flip the ball off the glass and drop it in regularly.

A memory that stuck out for me was the time my dad took me to see the Spurs play at Hemisfair Arena, and George was running a little late getting into the arena - we were a bit early and saw him going into the arena. That does not happen now with the underground access for players or a separate entrance. I think that game took place in early 1979. The opponent - the Kansas City Kings with Phil Ford and Otis Birdsong. Of course the Spurs won.

Another memory was watching him warm up pre-game. His jumper was unique. The ball would kind of rest on his right shoulder a little bit - when he let it go it was totally effortless - swish after swish after swish. The motion offense Doug Moe ran gave him a high volume of shot opportunities. While he could shoot threes if he had to, he could go inside on people with his height. Basically he was an offensive mismatch every night. I saw GG get 45 and Mike Mitchell 50 in the same game against the Milwaukee Bucks in 1983, the last very good team the Spurs had with Gervin during the 1982-83 season.

The Spurs are the Spurs of today in large measure due to Ice. David Robinson solidified the Spurs as long term NBA fixture. Duncan brought everything together of course - tons of wins and ultimate PO success. Those three guys are such fixtures and are so important to the franchise and the city.

Harry Callahan
04-13-2020, 06:22 PM
Wild Bill touched on it. The NBA of the late 70s and early 80s (pre-Jordan) was simply not an interest magnet. NBA FINALS games were tape delayed on CBS. Ancient history. We can watch pretty much any game we want today. The Spurs were not put on national television back then. Usually they would only be on National TV during the playoffs.

rascal
04-13-2020, 09:05 PM

I have seen him play. My favorite Spur teams were the league scoring teams with Gervin, Silas and Kenon. They played a more exciting brand of basketball than the later teams although they never won a title. The Hemisfair Arena was the best stadium too for crowd noise.

rascal
04-13-2020, 09:09 PM
Wild Bill touched on it. The NBA of the late 70s and early 80s (pre-Jordan) was simply not an interest magnet. NBA FINALS games were tape delayed on CBS. Ancient history. We can watch pretty much any game we want today. The Spurs were not put on national television back then. Usually they would only be on National TV during the playoffs.

I don't remember the Finals games being tape delayed during that time.

rascal
04-13-2020, 09:11 PM

They were on local TV though.

Harry Callahan
04-27-2020, 05:07 PM
I don't remember the Finals games being tape delayed during that time.

Sonics Bullets (1978 or 1979) were tape delayed on CBS. Once Larry Bird and Magic Johnson came along shortly thereafter, that was no longer the case. So maybe it was just in the 1970s. The 80's saw huge growth in the NBA.

Harry Callahan
04-27-2020, 05:08 PM
They were on local TV though.

You are correct on that. It was a very different level of coverage.

baseline bum
04-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Sonics Bullets (1978 or 1979) were tape delayed on CBS. Once Larry Bird and Magic Johnson came along shortly thereafter, that was no longer the case. So maybe it was just in the 1970s. The 80's saw huge growth in the NBA.

I thought the tape delay went through the early 80s too and it wasn't until Lakers-Celtics 84 that the Finals would start being broadcast live. I have some video of the 1980 Finals between LA and Philly taken from a New York station and I think it mentioned "recorded earlier" on the broadcast, and I think the same for the 83 Finals too.

Harry Callahan
04-27-2020, 05:16 PM
I thought the tape delay went through the early 80s too and it wasn't until Lakers-Celtics 84 that the Finals would start being broadcast live. I have some video of the 1980 Finals between LA and Philly taken from a New York station and I think it mentioned "recorded earlier" on the broadcast, and I think the same for the 83 Finals too.

I think you may be right. I remember in high school I was on a spring trip and the finals were tape delayed and I could watch the game late on CBS - it could have been early 80's too.

ace3g
08-31-2023, 10:13 PM
https://twitter.com/DonHarris4/status/1697444274793578603

GAustex
08-31-2023, 10:54 PM
Iceman could finger roll

I tried to pattern my game after him

I had no chance

baseline bum
09-01-2023, 12:40 PM
I saw GG get 45 and Mike Mitchell 50 in the same game against the Milwaukee Bucks in 1983, the last very good team the Spurs had with Gervin during the 1982-83 season.

God that must have been insane to have been there for that one. Damn, and Ice dropping that 50 on Moncrief.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198203060SAS.html

baseline bum
09-01-2023, 12:51 PM
I know Wilt used to do this finger roll where he'd lean around the defender and flip it in. If I ever get the chance to talk to Ice again I'm going to have to ask him if he was inspired to learn that shot from Wilt, though Ice is the one who perfected it.

Dex
09-01-2023, 01:22 PM
I've shared this story here before, but I used to work at Academy Sports & Outdoors in high school / college and Gervin used to come into our store all the time.

He loved looking at all the boating and fishing stuff. Half the time he wouldn't even buy anything, just look around and talk to people. Super nice guy....and obviously one of the greatest Spurs of all time.

Devin Brown also came in once and spent like $400 on tubes/rafts and other swim stuff...seemed like he had a fun boat day planned

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2023, 03:28 PM
Great tribute to an awesome player and person.

I used to sit up in the cheap seats at the old Hemisfair Arena with my dad and watch Ice do his thing. Those were great memories.

Biggems
09-01-2023, 08:55 PM
I saw him play. He was awesome, but I don't remember all that much as I was a young child with the attention span of a gnat. Ice was just so smooth out there. The one I remember more is Mike Mitchell. I remember hid jump shot being pretty darn good at the games I went to. I also recall Artis Gilmore being so damn tall.

baseline bum
09-01-2023, 09:03 PM

I used to sit up in the cheap seats at the old Hemisfair Arena with my dad and watch Ice do his thing. Those were great memories.

Man the upper deck at Hemisfair was scary as a kid, JFC it was steep since they had to build straight up when they added it. Almost felt like you were looking straight down at the players. Even though you were probably a lot closer in Hemisfair I definitely prefer AT&T Center's sightlines if you're in the upper deck. Lower deck at Hemisfair was amazing as long as you weren't behind a column though.

GAustex
09-01-2023, 09:16 PM
At the Hemisphere Opposing player going into the ‘Bum section would come out bloody

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-02-2023, 11:18 AM
Man the upper deck at Hemisfair was scary as a kid, JFC it was steep since they had to build straight up when they added it. Almost felt like you were looking straight down at the players. Even though you were probably a lot closer in Hemisfair I definitely prefer AT&T Center's sightlines if you're in the upper deck. Lower deck at Hemisfair was amazing as long as you weren't behind a column though.

It did feel like you were right over the court! I thought it was pretty cool, though. With a military dad who was always on a budget, I never sat in the lower deck until I was an adult and could pay for it myself. But, you know, as a kid, it still felt awesome to see the game live, no matter where I sat. When we lived in other places the only way to follow the Spurs was to tune in to WOAI at night when the ionosphere allowed you to pick up the AM signal. So you'd get to listen to the game, kind of, mixed with static and the occasional mariachi music from a similar frequency somewhere. :lol So going to a game in person was always such a huge thing, even if it was a long distance view!

I got to take my dad to a game years later to see the Spurs in Denver and got him almost court-side during the Robinson era. He was beaming, man. It was pretty neat. Another memory of the old man I hold on to...

baseline bum
09-05-2023, 09:00 PM
I saw GG get 45 and Mike Mitchell 50 in the same game against the Milwaukee Bucks in 1983, the last very good team the Spurs had with Gervin during the 1982-83 season.

Had this pop up in my youtube recommendations so figured I'd post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQu6NL3KWc

buttsR4rebounding
09-06-2023, 12:51 AM

$2.00 seats, $2 parking, $1 Cokes and $1 popcorn. My brother and I would go watch a game for $10 for the both of us. Favorite cheer from the Bums: Rah, rah rah. Zoot, zoot, zoot. Who’s that ass in the referee suit?

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-06-2023, 10:31 AM

Ice was such an incredible shooter, and so good at scoring through contact that he would have dominated in today's NBA with today's rules. I can't really think of anyone with Gervin's level of touch in today's game.

exstatic
09-06-2023, 11:25 AM
Ice was such an incredible shooter, and so good at scoring through contact that he would have dominated in today's NBA with today's rules. I can't really think of anyone with Gervin's level of touch in today's game.

I loved Ice, but in today's game, you HAVE to shoot the 3 with good percentage and volume, or you're relegated to DeRozan status.

R. DeMurre
09-06-2023, 12:35 PM
Another nice thing about Gervin is that, like Wembanyama, he was rail thin, but was a relative iron man for a decade. Between the ages of 22 and 33, he never played fewer than 72 games in a season and had seven seasons of 80 or more games. Obviously they're not the same, but sometimes looks and expectations can be deceiving when trying to prejudge durability.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-06-2023, 01:50 PM
I loved Ice, but in today's game, you HAVE to shoot the 3 with good percentage and volume, or you're relegated to DeRozan status.

Agreed. But I think had shooting the three would have been an expectation at any point in Ice's playing days he would have been able to adjust his range to compensate. DeRozan isn't nearly the shooter Gervin is, and George could have easily added the extra yardage to his shot to be a force in today's game. DeRozan is a mid-range guy because the three point line is beyond his touch. I'm convinced the Iceman could have honed the 3-point shot into his game had it been necessary or expected.

lefty
09-07-2023, 07:14 AM

:lmao

Harry Callahan
09-07-2023, 08:46 AM

I attended that actual game with the Bucks - my Dad took me. I think it was a triple OT game and Ice was at the peak of his powers. Notice how many of those shot don't touch the rim AT ALL. I just confirmed that's the one I attended 171-166. 21-31 in 56 minutes. Mike Mitchell - a fantastic player that is kind of lost in the shuffle due to the Admiral/Duncan eras got 45 in that game too. A wonderful memory for me.

baseline bum
09-07-2023, 01:49 PM
I attended that actual game with the Bucks - my Dad took me. I think it was a triple OT game and Ice was at the peak of his powers. Notice how many of those shot don't touch the rim AT ALL. I just confirmed that's the one I attended 171-166. 21-31 in 56 minutes. Mike Mitchell - a fantastic player that is kind of lost in the shuffle due to the Admiral/Duncan eras got 45 in that game too. A wonderful memory for me.

Mike Mitchell is awesome. I have a game worn road jersey of his. And Johnny Moore's home warmup jacket. Wish the Spurs would bring back that old school home jersey with the two Spurs on the side. That one plus the black on black road were the baddest uniforms in the league.

Harry Callahan
09-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Mike Mitchell is awesome. I have a game worn road jersey of his. And Johnny Moore's home warmup jacket. Wish the Spurs would bring back that old school home jersey with the two Spurs on the side. That one plus the black on black road were the baddest uniforms in the league.

The Black "San Antonio" jersey was brought back last year and I like that one a lot. Mitchell was a scoring machine - the 81-83 Spurs (with a little luck) could have played in the finals - they were really good and had the stinkin' Lakers in the way..... I'm gonna watch that Ice video you posted too.

ismael-robert
09-09-2023, 08:32 AM
Mitchell Jr. trained my eldest

baseline bum
09-09-2023, 09:34 AM
Mitchell Jr. trained my eldest

Hope they at least used a condom on him