3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Josh Smith
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Paul George
7. Nicolas Batum
8. Luol Deng
9. Andre Iguoadala
10. Rudy Gay
Homerism. You really think KL > Paul George? Then you got 0.2 IQ Josh Smith over him too? Wow.

AchillesHeel
10-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Homerism. You really think KL > Paul George? Then you got 0.2 IQ Josh Smith over him too? Wow.

Lebron shot like 45% against Kawhi and Kawhi averaged 14 and 11 with 2 steals in the Finals, Lebron shut down PG in the ECF and dominated the Pacers.

PG did average 19 6 and 5 on 47,5% FG and 44% 3PT, but he also turned it over nearly 5 times a game in that series, while Lebron averaged 29 7 5 on 51% FG and 44% 3PT. Lebron "only" averaged 25 ppg on 44,7% shooting in the Finals, was total horseshit from games 1 - 3 (16.7 ppg on 38,9% shooting).

Kawhi will be the better player while PG will be the better playmaker and shooter. Kawhi is also younger than PG and never had no plays ran for him until now. Kawhi, just like PG, has a lot of potential. I think they will both be all-stars and best young forwards in the game in 2015.

As for now, Kawhi in his 2nd season had a near identical PER to PG and a higher TS% in the regular season, and a much higher PER,TS% and WS + WS/48 in the playoffs.

I think it will be close.

Josh Smith potentially is better, but he plays on shit teams like Hawks and Pistons, even if he's efficient for once, his teams will never make enough noise for him to get recognized. J-Smoove would do well on a team like the Heat or OKC, he's just in a bad situation IMO, though the Pistons could be a surprise team in the East.

The Franchise
10-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Chandler Parsons is better than Nic Batum.

JamStone
10-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Lebron shot like 45% against Kawhi and Kawhi averaged 14 and 11 with 2 steals in the Finals, Lebron shut down PG in the ECF and dominated the Pacers.

PG did average 19 6 and 5 on 47,5% FG and 44% 3PT, but he also turned it over nearly 5 times a game in that series, while Lebron averaged 29 7 5 on 51% FG and 44% 3PT. Lebron "only" averaged 25 ppg on 44,7% shooting in the Finals, was total horseshit from games 1 - 3 (16.7 ppg on 38,9% shooting).

Kawhi will be the better player while PG will be the better playmaker and shooter. Kawhi is also younger than PG and never had no plays ran for him until now. Kawhi, just like PG, has a lot of potential. I think they will both be all-stars and best young forwards in the game in 2015.

As for now, Kawhi in his 2nd season had a near identical PER to PG and a higher TS% in the regular season, and a much higher PER,TS% and WS + WS/48 in the playoffs.

I think it will be close.

LeBron shut down Paul George in game 7. Even with that poor game 7, as you said, George still averaged 19 points on 47% in the series against LeBron and the Heat, even with most of the defensive focus on him.

It's hard to compare Kawhi and George because Kawhi is not and likely won't be any time soon be a primary scorer. He doesn't command double teams because defenses are more concerned with Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. Hard to evaluate his shooting efficiency because of that too. In his role, Kawhi doesn't have to take any contested shots, any forced shots, any shots against doubles or triples. His efficiency has as much to do with his role on offense as it does his talent, probably more. When a guy is a primary scorer on a team, there comes more responsibility in terms of playmaking and taking tough, contested, sometimes even forced shots to make the offense go. For example, Kevin Durant shooting over 50% from the field is more impressive than Kenneth Faried shooting 55% from the field because Durant commands more attention defensively and he takes more perimeter shots. Faried is a garbage scorer and plays like a power forward in a small forward height with mostly dunks. If Kawhi was a primary scorer and had defenses doubling him all the time, his shooting efficiency would be way more impressive. But in his supporting role on offense, I don't think you can use that in a comparison to another player who has the responsibilities of a primary scorer. That would be like suggesting Serge Ibaka's shooting efficiency makes him somehow better offensively than a guy like Dirk Nowitzki. And as ridiculous as that sounds, that's why I don't think you can compare Kawhi's shooting efficiency to Paul George's.

I like Kawhi and how he plays. He's a great role player. I don't think he'll ever be better than Paul George. Kawhi is a great supporting cast player, but I can't envision him being a foundational star player. Paul George has shown flashes of being a real star in this league.

spurraider21
10-20-2013, 12:01 PM
At this moment, George > Kawhi simply because of their roles. George is being asked to lead a team, Kawhi is being asked to be the 3rd/4th option depending on who's on the court.

ElNono
10-20-2013, 12:10 PM

I think Paul George is talented, but incredibly hyped.

I also think Josh Smith probably has the biggest defensive impact of everyone listed except perhaps Lebron. You simply can't sink him in the list because he's a mental midget.

Michael Jordan.
10-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Isn't Smith a PF?

spurraider21
10-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Isn't Smith a PF?
not with drummond and monroe starting

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 01:45 PM
1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Anthony
4. George
5. Leonard
6. Iguodala
7. Gay
8. Deng
9. Batum
10. Parsons

TheRealCB
10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Anthony is not better than Paul George and Gay is not better than Deng.

apalisoc_9
10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
LeBron shut down Paul George in game 7. Even with that poor game 7, as you said, George still averaged 19 points on 47% in the series against LeBron and the Heat, even with most of the defensive focus on him.

It's hard to compare Kawhi and George because Kawhi is not and likely won't be any time soon be a primary scorer. He doesn't command double teams because defenses are more concerned with Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. Hard to evaluate his shooting efficiency because of that too. In his role, Kawhi doesn't have to take any contested shots, any forced shots, any shots against doubles or triples. His efficiency has as much to do with his role on offense as it does his talent, probably more. When a guy is a primary scorer on a team, there comes more responsibility in terms of playmaking and taking tough, contested, sometimes even forced shots to make the offense go. For example, Kevin Durant shooting over 50% from the field is more impressive than Kenneth Faried shooting 55% from the field because Durant commands more attention defensively and he takes more perimeter shots. Faried is a garbage scorer and plays like a power forward in a small forward height with mostly dunks. If Kawhi was a primary scorer and had defenses doubling him all the time, his shooting efficiency would be way more impressive. But in his supporting role on offense, I don't think you can use that in a comparison to another player who has the responsibilities of a primary scorer. That would be like suggesting Serge Ibaka's shooting efficiency makes him somehow better offensively than a guy like Dirk Nowitzki. And as ridiculous as that sounds, that's why I don't think you can compare Kawhi's shooting efficiency to Paul George's.

I like Kawhi and how he plays. He's a great role player. I don't think he'll ever be better than Paul George. Kawhi is a great supporting cast player, but I can't envision him being a foundational star player. Paul George has shown flashes of being a real star in this league.

That's true for the last couple of seasons, but you'd have to be incredibly unaware to think that Kawhi would be forever option number 3 for the spurs. The way he's been playing in preseason ( yes, I know it is preseason) shows that this team is ready to make him a 2-3 option depending on matchups.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-21-2013, 12:58 AM

Extremely solid take, but I don't think you've seen enough of Leonard, because he shows flashes of brilliance as well. I know it's just the pre-season, but the Spurs came out against the Heat, and ran a few plays for Kawhi, all of which he executed perfectly, including one of the smoothest step-back jumpers I've seen in a while, and a crafty spin to up and under lay-up. After running those plays, they basically sat Kawhi for the rest of the game, because they saw all they wanted to.

This is a player that is under-going constant maintenance by the Spurs coaching staff, his shot gets better, he taps into a new reserve of potential each year. I think he can be just as good as a prime Paul George, and has the chops to become a better defender.

Paul George is becoming a super-star, but to consider Kawhi Leonard just a mere role player, sounds a bit ignorant.

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2013, 02:42 AM
there are guys in the east if played in the west would never be allstars, just like players who are allstar level players but never appear in the allstar team cause of popularity contest

josh smith, iggy

Phillip
10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
LMAO kawhi Leonard
LMAO overrated
LMAO homer gnsf

Bill_Brasky
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
gonna be great watching Leonard shit on people.

Phillip
10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Carmelo Anthony

5. Paul George
6. Rudy Gay
7. Luol Deng
8. Josh Smith
9. Andre Iguoadala
10. Nicolas Batum

Everyone on this list is better than Leonard, except maybe Batum. This has to be a joke.

Rogue
10-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Rudy Gay is overrated imho I'd put Paul Pierce in his place any day. Dude just looks good now on a scrub team. Stat-wise yes he's a top 10 SF but a realistic coach/manager would never expect him to lead the team to a winning record, imho.

Phillip
10-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Rudy Gay is overrated imho I'd put Paul Pierce in his place any day. Dude just looks good now on a scrub team. Stat-wise yes he's a top 10 SF but a realistic coach/manager would never expect him to lead the team to a winning record, imho.
Holy cow, I just realized... how the hell is Paul Pierce not on these lists?

Arnold Toht
10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
^ He hasn't been on any list after we shut the fucker down in game 7.

TheRealCB
10-22-2013, 04:07 AM
Holy cow, I just realized... how the hell is Paul Pierce not on these lists?

Who would you leave out? Maybe Batum,but I don't think he's better than anyone else.

AchillesHeel
10-22-2013, 04:57 AM

Pierce is a top 5 SF.

18.6 ppg 6.3 reb 4.8 ast 1.1 stl 43,6% FG 38% 3PT(5 attempts per game) and 46,6% from 2

Rondo blew his knee out 38 games into the season, Pierce still led that team to the playoffs and pushed the 2nd seed to 6 games while averaging 19 7 and 5

Phillip
10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Who would you leave out? Maybe Batum,but I don't think he's better than anyone else.
He is MUCH better than Batum and Leonard. I would take him before Gay, Deng, Iggy, and Josh Smith as well, as a 1 year stopgap. I think he is still top 5.

Clipper Nation
10-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I like Kawhi and he does have a fair amount of potential, but Spurfan is really overrating him for what he is now, tbh....

Amuseddaysleeper
11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Kawhi Leonard is much better than Deng, come on now.