PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: Is Kevin Durant a Top 10 All Time talent?

StrengthAndHonor
10-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Still fairly young but at this stage of his career, you can tell he has the skill, numbers and accolades to safely carry him as one of the best of his generation throughout the remainder of his career. The only thing missing are MVP(s) FMVP(s) and Championship(s).

Let's say he win at least one regular season MVP at some point in his career, and also assumes he pulls a Nowitzki like post season run (2011) winning a FMVP and NBA title ending his career with multiple All NBA 1st team and All Star Selections and cracks the Top 5 scoring in the All time list, is that enough to put him in the Top 10 list?

I know everyone has a list but this is pretty much the accepted universal Top 10 list right now (not in order). Which player will KD replace?

Jordan
Magic
KAJ
Bird
Russell
Wilt
Duncan
Shaq
Olajuwon
Lebron

Michael Jordan.
10-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Hell fuckin no. He is a top 10 all time talent in crying to the refs.

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Until Durant can play on both sides of the court like almost all of those players he will never be top 10. Nigga is skinny as fuck too.

On a side note, does anyone else wonder how two of the top 10 players of all time playing together in their heydays only won 5 rings? I mean KAJ has 1 with Milwaukee but him with Magic couldn't even surpass Jordan's Bulls in ring count. Now I know people will say it's cus of that nigga Larry, but Bird didn't have any top 10 of all-time players next to him. It just seems to me that players who are consistently ranked in the #2-#5 all-time range should have accomplished more together than 5 rings.

RsxPiimp
10-20-2013, 01:59 PM
he'll be in the same tier as kg, dirk, wade

and you must be nauseated when you wrote that list, because afaik kobe not lebron is in top 10 and thats universal gospel :lol

Clipper Nation
10-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Top 10 Stern handout collector, but definitely not a top 10 all-time player....

Arnold Toht
10-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Every single thread in the NBA forum is designed to take a shot at Kobe.

You keep going after my boy here. See now he'll be rejuvenated, just like in 2009.

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Only in Lakerfans mind :lol

LeBron >>>> Kobe

Cue the :cry he has 5 rings :cry bullshit. Shouldn't Sam/K.C. Jones and Tom Heinsohn be above Kobe then? And Horry?

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 02:03 PM

You keep going after my boy here. See now he'll be rejuvenated, just like in 2009.

you seem so sure of that when your idol himself said "i don't know how i'll come back from this injury"

Clipper Nation
10-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Every single thread in the NBA forum is turned into a thread about Kobe by salty Lakerfan such as myself.

fify

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 02:04 PM
fify

No shit :lol Lakerfan sees a thread about Durant and has to make it about Kobe. Fucking typical

Arnold Toht
10-20-2013, 02:08 PM
People are just gonna keep taking shots at Kobe, he'll just keep deflecting it with his 5 LOB's, versus LBJ's 2.

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 02:09 PM
5&done

2&counting

Clipper Nation
10-20-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm just gonna keep imagining shots at Kobe

fify

RsxPiimp
10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Until Durant can play on both sides of the court like almost all of those players he will never be top 10. Nigga is skinny as fuck too.

On a side note, does anyone else wonder how two of the top 10 players of all time playing together in their heydays only won 5 rings? I mean KAJ has 1 with Milwaukee but him with Magic couldn't even surpass Jordan's Bulls in ring count. Now I know people will say it's cus of that nigga Larry, but Bird didn't have any top 10 of all-time players next to him. It just seems to me that players who are consistently ranked in the #2-#5 all-time range should have accomplished more together than 5 rings.

age caught up to him. basically, as soon as magic started getting better, kaj started declining. by magic's 3rd season kaj was 34 and that season marked the first time kaj's rebounding numbers dipped in single numbers in a season (8.7 Rpg) the next several years, he basically became a 20 ppg 7 rpg big man running on dead legs.

StrengthAndHonor
10-20-2013, 02:25 PM
I didn't put Kobe in the list to save us some time, I'm hoping to avoid the argument and turn this into another Kobe-Lebron thread seeing as Lebron will most likely surpass Kobe anyway.

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 02:34 PM
age caught up to him. basically, as soon as magic started getting better, kaj started declining. by magic's 3rd season kaj was 34 and that season marked the first time kaj's rebounding numbers dipped in single numbers in a season (8.7 Rpg) the next several years, he basically became a 20 ppg 7 rpg big man running on dead legs.

Thanks for the knowledge :tu didn't realize how old Kareem was by then

Killakobe81
10-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Kd is an amazing talent with a chance at a top 10 career. I Like him he is great player but l top 10 is uber elite. Far from a top 10 but he may get there. Stay on topic this was not about Kobe even if meant as a subliminal diss ...

baseline bum
10-20-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't see Durant passing any of the guys on the original list and certainly not Kobe either. Right now I think he looks like he's headed into that tier of alltime greats at the level of Jerry West, George Gervin, Scottie Pippen, Oscar Robertson, Moses Malone, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, etc. By that I mean truly great players, but not guys who dominated a generation like the players in the top 10.

namlook
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Durant will need 3 to 5 rings to have a shot to crack the top 10 and given his defensive deficiencies it will probably need to be more like 5.

You obviously never saw Kareem and Magic play in real time.

HarlemHeat37
10-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Durant will need 3 to 5 rings to have a shot to crack the top 10 and given his defensive deficiencies it will probably need to be more like 5.

As advanced stats thrive and continue to be prominent in basketball, which is inevitable and has already started, ring count will become an obsolete argument, unfortunately for you and your ignore list, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
10-20-2013, 07:45 PM

Magic, Bird, Kobe and Russell only played 1 side of the court, and are all widely considered to be top 12 all-timers, my nigga, tbh..

namlook
10-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Magic, Bird, Kobe and Russell only played 1 side of the court, and are all widely considered to be top 12 all-timers, my nigga, tbh..

Wrong. Bird and Magic were not good individual defenders but they played excellent team defense. I think most people would be surprised to learn Magic led the league in steals twice and Bird was 3x all-defensive second team.

Russell has 11 fucking rings and was the best player on his team. Enough said.

HarlemHeat37
10-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Bird and Magic playing good team defense is a myth that began perpetuating a few years ago to preserve their auras, tbh:lol..Durant definitely isn't worse than either of them on defense..

Basketball coverage is all about myths and false perceptions created from biases..thankfully, the advanced stat era is aiding us to qualify and prove our arguments, rather than relying on shitty, antiquated opinions and beliefs, tbh..

namlook
10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Bird and Magic playing good team defense is a myth that began perpetuating a few years ago to preserve their auras, tbh:lol..Durant definitely isn't worse than either of them on defense..

You obviously never saw Bird and Magic play in real time.

HarlemHeat37
10-20-2013, 07:58 PM
If you're a star that plays on good/great defensive teams and you aren't a liability, everybody will ignore that you don't actually have defensive responsibilities and they'll label you a "good team defender", tbh:lol..

Durant isn't a defensive liability, tbh, but he clearly doesn't have responsibility on defense either..same with Magic, Bird and Kobe, so it shouldn't be held against him..

namlook
10-20-2013, 08:06 PM
If you're a star that plays on good/great defensive teams and you aren't a liability, everybody will ignore that you don't actually have defensive responsibilities and they'll label you a "good team defender", tbh:lol..

Durant isn't a defensive liability, tbh, but he clearly doesn't have responsibility on defense either..same with Magic, Bird and Kobe, so it shouldn't be held against him..

It's more than just defense. Durant's all-around game and BB IQ is just not at at their level thus far. He still has time to develop his skills.

Leetonidas
10-20-2013, 09:02 PM

You obviously never saw Kareem and Magic play in real time.

:cry

DMC
10-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Durant hasn't done anything. Let us know when he does.

DMC
10-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Wrong. Bird and Magic were not good individual defenders but they played excellent team defense. I think most people would be surprised to learn Magic led the league in steals twice and Bird was 3x all-defensive second team.

Russell has 11 fucking rings and was the best player on his team. Enough said.

How does one person play team defense?

ezau
10-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Chris Paul deserves a higher ranking than Durant, tbh.

ezau
10-20-2013, 10:13 PM

You keep going after my boy here. See now he'll be rejuvenated, just like in 2009.:cry

Arnold Toht
10-20-2013, 10:19 PM
http://vlsportysexycool.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/San-Antonio-Spurs-2013.jpg

-Couldn't make a free throw ...............-Couldn't make a shot in 6 and 7 ..... -missed game tying layup ...................- fake leader

Clipper Nation
10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/101/1014855/top-10-movie-nazis-20090818054058849.jpg
-Faggot

Russo21
10-20-2013, 11:01 PM
The names in that top 10 list is insane. It'll take a very special player and a lot of individual and team success to creep up into that company. Say he wins a few titles and mvps, who does he replace? Hakeem who won an MVP, 2 titles and put up prime stats like 27ppg, 14rpg and a ridiculous 4.6bpg? I dunno the top 10 is hard to crack. Top 20 sure, he has the tools to get there.

Arnold Toht
10-20-2013, 11:27 PM
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/en4cer2k10/facebook_890821145.jpg

Frontrunner

Clipper Nation
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/NBA/Dallas%20Mavericks.gif
1-timer trying to claim the 5>4 stick

<------ Proud, loyal 13-timer

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2013, 12:21 AM
no way his top10, his just a longer version of tmac without the bad back

ezau
10-21-2013, 01:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4JfDzOs.png

AchillesHeel
10-21-2013, 02:47 AM
YES.

6-11, can pull up from 30, not a defensive liability, improving every year, best pure scorer since MJ himself.

Potentially, top 5 scorer of all-time.

KD in his 3 straight scoring title years:

28.7 ppg 7.4 reb 3 ast 1.3 stl 1 blk 47,7% FG 36,6% 3PT 88% FT 51,3% 2PT

And he was 21-23 years old during those 3 years.

I know this is a spurs board and as a spur fan OKC is my rival, but Kevin Durant is an explosive scorer and he has so much potential on the offensive end.

Mentally, I still think he's a beta until proven otherwise.

Russo21
10-22-2013, 06:56 AM
throw Oscar Robertson, elgin Baylor, and dr.J in that top list also

Koolaid_Man
10-22-2013, 07:11 AM
as far as I'm concerned right now Durant is just a skinny dude with a nice Jumper....he's a bigger version of Reggie Miller and he might end up ringless like Reggie Miller if he doesn't let Westbrook run that team....Durant thinks he's better than he actually is....he just hasn't shown me he has the heart to win it all...Westbrook has more heart in my view

TDMVPDPOY
10-22-2013, 09:08 AM
lol the misconception of durant and defensive liability

with a large frame and wingspan guarding midgets or not even the best player on that team, he just needs to stand his ground

have yet to see him actually shut down someone on defense, or

defend guys his size....

ambchang
10-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Doubtful. Can't see Durant bypassing any of those greats.

Even if we were to take the modern NBA legends (post ABA), we have

Jordan
KAJ
Magic
Bird
Duncan
Shaq
Hakeem
Lebron
Moses
Kobe

Other than Kobe, can't see him bypassing any of the others.

Then of course, there's Russell, Wilt, West, Big O, Baylor, Pettit, Mikan, Havlicek.

I see Durant matching the careers of KG, Dirk, Dr. J (post ABA days), West, Isiah Thomas, pedophile, and Barkley, which is a really tall order in and of itself.

Spur-Addict
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
he's a bigger version of Reggie Miller

:lol