PDA

View Full Version : Last cuts: Courtney Fells and Dan Nwaelele.

ace3g
10-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Maximum Sports @MaxSportsSA
(http://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA)Spurs waive Courtney Fells and Dan Nwaelele.

RD2191
10-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Dang

xmas1997
10-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Knew it, but I bet most of you did too.
Now we have a series of ten day contracts to look forward to as per usual.

Bruno
10-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Expected move.

Now, the question is if Spurs will stand quiet or look at players waived by other teams at the end of their training camp. Few years ago, they picked James White! like that.

timtonymanu
10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, Pop wasn't going to go into the season with 15 guaranteed contracts.

Plus, it was clearly a 2 man race between Young and Maggette, both which sucked.

hooperflash
10-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Is Pop eyeing Shawn Marion down the road?

Spursfanfromafar
10-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Shawn Marion, Vince Carter, Trevor Ariza....

exstatic
10-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Don't be shocked if it's RJ. He's at the end of his contract on a team going nowhere. He knows the system, and would be available for cheap after a buyout. He knows the system. He doesn't need to be clutch. He doesn't need to hit big shots. He just needs to play some D and hit the corner three, eating up about 15 minutes a game.

hoopdreams11
10-20-2013, 05:58 PM
What about this trade but we can't complete it til December

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6341770

xmas1997
10-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Don't be shocked if it's RJ. He's at the end of his contract on a team going nowhere. He knows the system, and would be available for cheap after a buyout. He knows the system. He doesn't need to be clutch. He doesn't need to hit big shots. He just needs to play some D and hit the corner three, eating up about 15 minutes a game.

I don't remember him ever playing D.

justinandimcool
10-20-2013, 06:00 PM

5-8 minutes and then we can talk...

Biernutz
10-20-2013, 06:08 PM
RJ won't be back

exstatic
10-20-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't remember him ever playing D.

He's not shutdown, but he's better than: Magette, Young, Deshaun Thomas. He knows the offense and defense, and can do what they need: Hit the corner 3, and defend SFs competently.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2013, 06:17 PM
They can try Gary Forbes before he leaves the country again.

Libri
10-20-2013, 06:23 PM

For RJ, that's a lot. :lol

timtonymanu
10-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Unless Marion gets traded from Dallas, he will never end up on the Spurs. Mark Cuban would never allow the Mavs to trade players to the Spurs.

RD2191
10-20-2013, 06:32 PM
:lmaoForgot the blue font.

look_at_g_shred
10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Any chance we can still make a push for Williams?

exstatic
10-20-2013, 06:45 PM

You need a first name with a surname that common.

CGD
10-20-2013, 06:57 PM
^ I think its Marvin?

hooperflash
10-20-2013, 06:58 PM

You need a first name with a surname that common.

I'm assuming Derrick Williams from T-Wolves.

look_at_g_shred
10-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah my bad guys. Derrick williams.

Strategic
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Dez

elemento
10-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Please GOD NO

Monkeyboy14
10-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Rj looks weird in a jazz uni tbh

Darius Bieber
10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Please GOD NO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

diego
10-20-2013, 07:57 PM
seriously, RJ is a death sentence, last year I knew we would beat GS thanks to RJ and one of the key games (was it 1 or 5?) sure enough he screwed up in the clutch and opened the door for us. I wouldnt take him back even for towel waving duties, that guy is so scared he infects his whole team with defeat.

ElNono
10-20-2013, 08:45 PM
nwaalellleeellllleeeeeee

td4mvp2k
10-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Any chance we can still make a push for Williams?ya but can they give da twolves wat they want... Prob not tbh

Kool Bob Love
10-20-2013, 09:08 PM
HWMNBN has return to Spurtalk.

ace3g
10-20-2013, 09:21 PM
or we can wait for the Cs to blowup their roster:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/10/gerald_wallace_rips_selfish_bo.html

exstatic
10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
or we can wait for the Cs to blowup their roster:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/10/gerald_wallace_rips_selfish_bo.html

Counting this season, which hasn't started yet, GW has THREE YEARS LEFT on his contract. He is absolutely not a buyout candidate this season.

objective
10-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Jefferson wouldn't even be available until after the trade deadline. Even if he was bought out, Spurs would be better off with some d-league scrub than him (or Sam Young).

I might rather have Hedo back than RJ. And that's hard to come to terms with.

PlayNando
10-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Maximum Sports @MaxSportsSA
(http://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA)Spurs waive Courtney Fells and Dan Nwaelele.

HAHAHAHAHA!

All the haters can suck it! NANDO makes the team, PER PAR. NANDO IS DESTINED FOR GREAT THINGS THIS YEAR!!!

racm
10-20-2013, 10:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!

All the haters can suck it! NANDO makes the team, PER PAR. NANDO IS DESTINED FOR GREAT THINGS THIS YEAR!!!

That's because he has a guaranteed contract silly.

PlayNando
10-20-2013, 10:03 PM
That's because he has a guaranteed contract silly.
:lol

The bottom line is that Nando made it where others failed. Nando = better.

racm
10-20-2013, 10:06 PM
:lol

The bottom line is that Nando made it where others failed. Nando = better.

The camp invitees had a ghost of a chance to make the final roster. Nando wasn't gonna get cut by camp.

Sean Cagney
10-20-2013, 10:34 PM
RJ won't be back

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!

PlayNando
10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
The camp invitees had a ghost of a chance to make the final roster. Nando wasn't gonna get cut by camp.
Nando is better than those scrubs, tbh!

tmtcsc
10-20-2013, 10:54 PM

http://gifs.gifbin.com/062009/1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

exstatic
10-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Jefferson wouldn't even be available until after the trade deadline. Even if he was bought out, Spurs would be better off with some d-league scrub than him (or Sam Young).

I might rather have Hedo back than RJ. And that's hard to come to terms with.
Right. If we don't sign someone else's camp cut, that's likely when we'll fill out our roster. They'll dick around with some unguaranteed deals and 10 day contracts, but the roster that goes into the playoffs won't be finalized until the buyouts are done after the trade deadline. That's when veteran backup SFs will become available.

jhova
10-20-2013, 11:52 PM
if we cant get RJ we can get his BFF.....Luuuuke

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230315/Luke-Walton-Still-Hoping-To-Play-In-NBA-This-Season

HI-FI
10-21-2013, 02:11 AM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/062009/1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

:rollin
pretty much how I reacted to reading it. HWSNBN would put the kibosh on this season.

mountainballer
10-21-2013, 04:21 AM
this week about 70 players will be waived.
(based on the last season. unlike the Spurs many teams wait till end of pre season with their cuts.)
some extension talks are still going on. some team options are not yet exercised.
last year we saw a blockbuster at Oktober 27th. (James Harden trade)
I don't expect much, but I think Spurs will pick up a wing player on a unguaranteed contract from the cut pool. (someone like Lazar Hayward?)

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 06:56 AM
(based on the last season. unlike the Spurs many teams wait till end of pre season with their cuts.)
some extension talks are still going on. some team options are not yet exercised.
I don't expect much, but I think Spurs will pick up a wing player on a unguaranteed contract from the cut pool. (someone like Lazar Hayward?)

This ^^^ makes perfect sense to me. The Spurs have put themselves in great position to nab a decent backup to Kawhi. IMHO the sooner they do it, the sooner that player learns the Spurs system which is much harder to grasp than most other teams, especially on the defensive end. An example of this is Beli. It will take him a while to get used to his role defensively, but he'll get there.

exstatic
10-21-2013, 07:47 AM

This ^^^ makes perfect sense to me. The Spurs have put themselves in great position to nab a decent backup to Kawhi. IMHO the sooner they do it, the sooner that player learns the Spurs system which is much harder to grasp than most other teams, especially on the defensive end. An example of this is Beli. It will take him a while to get used to his role defensively, but he'll get there.

I agree that could happen, but don't be too elated or depressed by who it might be. That likely will only be the first player in that 15th spot, not the last. You can't really count the roster as set for the playoffs until after the deadline for bought out/waived players being on the playoff roster sometime late in February or early March. The Spurs just won't foreclose the option that a good player may be available then.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 08:10 AM
I agree that could happen, but don't be too elated or depressed by who it might be. That likely will only be the first player in that 15th spot, not the last. You can't really count the roster as set for the playoffs until after the deadline for bought out/waived players being on the playoff roster sometime late in February or early March. The Spurs just won't foreclose the option that a good player may be available then.

True, that has been the Spurs modus operandi for quite a few years now. As well it should, isn't that how they got Diaw?

Bill_Brasky
10-21-2013, 10:26 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!

:lmao

is this guy really that excited over nando not getting cut.....from training camp????

Dex
10-21-2013, 10:51 AM

is this guy really that excited over nando not getting cut.....from training camp????

On a guaranteed contract, no less.

Congratulations, Nando, on not being so bad that the Spurs have to pay you to leave.

TheyCallMePro
10-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't think Pop cares about securing the 15th roster spot as much as we'd like to believe he does. He said earlier in the preseason that they'll just play Green and Belli more when Kawhi is out. And remember how much our rotation shrunk during the Finals? Eventually, Pop only trusted 6 players to be on the court, the 5 starters (excluding Splitter and adding Ginobili), and Gary Neal. Assuming Belli takes over Neal spot, that's pretty much what were going to be left with in crunch time. Regardless of whether we bring in a back-up SF, I don't see Pop trusting them enough deep in the playoffs. McGrady was brought in last year to play back-up SF, and he didn't see a single meaningful minute.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't think Pop cares about securing the 15th roster spot as much as we'd like to believe he does. He said earlier in the preseason that they'll just play Green and Belli more when Kawhi is out. And remember how much our rotation shrunk during the Finals? Eventually, Pop only trusted 6 players to be on the court, the 5 starters (excluding Splitter and adding Ginobili), and Gary Neal. Assuming Belli takes over Neal spot, that's pretty much what were going to be left with in crunch time. Regardless of whether we bring in a back-up SF, I don't see Pop trusting them enough deep in the playoffs. McGrady was brought in last year to play back-up SF, and he didn't see a single meaningful minute.

I was really hoping McGrady would do something significant during the playoffs, but I don't think he even tried a shot.

jyra
10-21-2013, 01:20 PM

as expected.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM

as expected.

Most of us could have predicted that, in fact, we did. :lol

monkeypunk
10-21-2013, 02:51 PM
pretty much how I reacted to reading it. HWSNBN would put the kibosh on this season.

HWSNBN would put the kibosh on anyone's season. Dude is done and will never be a plus player again.

Stop the insanity please, exstatic.

Bruno
10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't think Spurs will wait the trade deadline and March 1st deadline before worrying about that 15th spot. Hopping to get a waived player in March is so random. First, there must have a player you like waived and second, he must pick Spurs.

Sours should start looking at players waived at the end of training camp, D-League players and Euro players who can be bought out. The drawback of filling their 15th spot early is very small. If a player they like is available in March, Spurs could still waive one of Mills, De Colo, Bonner or Baynes to open up roster spot for him. Adding a 15th player won't really tie Spurs hands and hurt their roster flexibility.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't think Spurs will wait the trade deadline and March 1st deadline before worrying about that 15th spot. Hopping to get a waived player in March is so random. First, there must have a player you like waived and second, he must pick Spurs.

Sours should start looking at players waived at the end of training camp, D-League players and Euro players who can be bought out. The drawback of filling their 15th spot early is very small. If a player they like is available in March, Spurs could still waive one of Mills, De Colo, Bonner or Baynes to open up roster spot for him. Adding a 15th player won't really tie Spurs hands and hurt their roster flexibility.

Hmm, interesting take, Bruno.
Then if your scenario plays out, Nando better keep his bags packed. :lol

McGusto55
10-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Jayson..?.lol

PlayNando
10-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Umad or something?

FireMicoHalili
10-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Did anyone expect them to make the cut? As if we needed more two-guards

exstatic
10-21-2013, 09:01 PM

I both agree and disagree. They won't wait until March, but whoever they sign will be on an unguaranteed contract, and will be cut before the January guarantee date. They will then rotate through a series of 10 day contracts until the buyout deadline. I don't see them waiving any of the 14 players currently on the roster to keep some camp cut for the whole year.

xmas1997
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I both agree and disagree. They won't wait until March, but whoever they sign will be on an unguaranteed contract, and will be cut before the January guarantee date. They will then rotate through a series of 10 day contracts until the buyout deadline. I don't see them waiving any of the 14 players currently on the roster to keep some camp cut for the whole year.

Unless that camp cut turns out to really fit the system.

Bruno
10-22-2013, 12:02 AM

Disagree.

A player waived from another team training camp will first be signed to a non-guaranteed deadline but if he is good enough, he will be keep past January when his contract will become guaranteed. Don't forget that last season, Spurs fill their 15th roster in January with Baynes who was directly signed to a guaranteed contract.

The whole "Spurs will wait march before to definitively fill their 15th roster spot to keep flexibility" makes very little sense because Spurs could easily get back that flexibility by waiving an end of the bench player with an expiring contract if they want to sign another player.

mountainballer
10-22-2013, 04:45 AM
LMAO
James Johnson, who some (me included) thought would have been a good option for back up SF, was just waived by the Hawks.
he was really really really bad. (made one lone field goal in 4 pre season games) - yes, he was even worse than Sam Young.
guess we were all pretty wrong, when we thought this two could be a good idea for the Spurs roster.

exstatic
10-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Unless that camp cut turns out to really fit the system.

Unlikely. Even players who eventually caught on like Devin Brown and Danny Green were cut their first time around and only caught on in subsequent seasons.

exstatic
10-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Disagree.

A player waived from another team training camp will first be signed to a non-guaranteed deadline but if he is good enough, he will be keep past January when his contract will become guaranteed. Don't forget that last season, Spurs fill their 15th roster in January with Baynes who was directly signed to a guaranteed contract.

The whole "Spurs will wait march before to definitively fill their 15th roster spot to keep flexibility" makes very little sense because Spurs could easily get back that flexibility by waiving an end of the bench player with an expiring contract if they want to sign another player.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Pop is pretty loyal to his players and would be MUCH more likely to keep that 15th spot as a revolving door rather than cut one of the 14 players currently on the roster.

ace3g
10-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Sportando @sportando
(http://twitter.com/sportando)Dallas Mavericks waived Renaldo Balkman as the player said to @tabpr (http://twitter.com/tabpr/)

He played well at the FIBA Americas tournament. He didn't shoot a good percentage during preseason though.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2986/renaldo-balkman

exstatic
10-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Sportando @sportando
(http://twitter.com/sportando)Dallas Mavericks waived Renaldo Balkman as the player said to @tabpr (http://twitter.com/tabpr/)

He played well at the FIBA Americas tournament. He didn't shoot a good percentage during preseason though.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2986/renaldo-balkman

Balkman's a deer.

Mel_13
10-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Washington has played their last preseason game, so Josh Childress will be available again very soon.

ace3g
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Some were interested in him:

Hoops Rumors @HoopsRumors
(http://twitter.com/HoopsRumors)Suns Waive James Nunnally dlvr.it/4BvDmW (http://t.co/I5w6KQqYTS) #nba (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23nba)

xmas1997
10-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I was, good 3pt. shooter, and above average lock down defender.
Grab him FO.

ace3g
10-25-2013, 04:22 PM
can the Spurs get a SF out of this? lol

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Hearing: Suns are trading Marcin Gortat to the Wizards. Okafor on his way to Phoenix. More details to come

(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Proposed deal will send Gortat, Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall to Wizards and Suns on course to receive Emeka Okafor & at least one pick

Mel_13
10-25-2013, 04:38 PM
can the Spurs get a SF out of this? lol

(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Hearing: Suns are trading Marcin Gortat to the Wizards. Okafor on his way to Phoenix. More details to come

(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Proposed deal will send Gortat, Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall to Wizards and Suns on course to receive Emeka Okafor & at least one pick

Wizards have 15 players under contract. It will be interesting to see how they create the roster spaces to do a 3 for 1 trade.

objective
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Singleton could be cut, he's out until November as it is.

Even with a broken foot and busted game, he's better than Josh Howard.

Bruno
10-25-2013, 07:41 PM
An edge of doing that sign/cut move with Josh Howard is that Spurs still have that 15th roster spot to try others SF.
Some decent SF are/will be waived by teams but most of them have a big issue with a lack of a consistent perimeter shot. Without that outside threat, it becomes difficult for a player to turn useful for Spurs.