PDA

View Full Version : Leyland Resigns as Tigers Manager

Biernutz
10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Jim Leyland has stepped down as Detroit Tigers manager after eight seasons.
Leyland informed the team of his decision after the Tigers' ALCS loss to the
Boston Red Sox on Saturday, adding that it is time for someone
younger to do the job.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/detroit-tigers-manager-jim-leyland-step-down-102113

MultiTroll
10-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Congrats to Leyland.

Too bad Scioscia couldn't show an ounce of class and do the same.

JamStone
10-21-2013, 04:37 PM
He didn't win a World Series, but he had a really good 8 year run with the club. And I think he went out on his terms and before he became too stale or his voice became tuned out by the players. He wasn't perfect and he certainly had his share of faults, but for the most part, I thought he was a very good manager and as far as I heard and read, he always kept the respect and trust of the players. He expects to remain with the Tigers organization in some capacity, but he made it clear that he wouldn't be part of the manager search and wouldn't try to influence the decision for the next manager. Thanks for the past 8 seasons, skip.

The Tigers are probably where the Rangers were a couple years ago with their stars right in the middle of their prime and having a good amount of success the last couple seasons. But very soon, a few of the key players will be getting older and a number of decisions will need to be made, including whether they can afford to keep Max Scherzer longterm with how big the payroll already is. So, realistically, their best window of opportunity to win a World Series might be only 1-2 more years. That would suggest getting a big name manager who not only has experience, but a track record for success. I don't want Charlie Manuel or Dusty Baker. But don't want a no-name either, not with this roster. Would have been nice had Francona waited one more year to manage again. I'd hope they make a call over to Tampa to see what it would take to buy him out of his contract if he'd be interested. He has two years left on his current deal with the Rays. With what he's done in Tampa with payroll limitations and having to trade talent away, I would imagine having the type of payroll and talent the Tigers have might be at least a little bit enticing. Maybe they reach out to Kirk Gibson too.

I don't really know who else the Tigers might look at. I wouldn't want the Tigers to be stuck with guys like Manny Acta or Willie Randolph. I'd even take Ozzie Guillen over those guys. That would actually be interesting. I think a lot of Tigers fans who were heavy critics of Leyland will find that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side.

Biernutz
10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Bobby Valentine named new manger of the Tigers.... :lol

td4mvp2k
10-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Lol :cry leyland :cry

Chris
10-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Leyland quit period.

td4mvp2k
10-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Leyland quit period.ya n I thought he waz all bout motown... :cry lol