PDA

View Full Version : Jasikevicius agrees to deal with Pacers

ducks
07-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Sarunas Jasikevici Lithuanian star Jasikevicius agrees to deal with Pacersus, widely considered the top point guard in Europe, signed a three-year, 12 million deal, his agent Doug Neusted told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

"It really came down to who he could win a championship with next year," Neusted told ESPN. "He saw a chance to contribute and win and couldn't pass it up."

Jasikevicius also had offers from the Jazz and Cavs.

The point guard, who played for the last three Euroleague champions, played collegiately at Maryland from 1994-'98, most recently played for Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2003-2005 and F.C. Barcelona from 2000-2003.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2115697

ducks
07-24-2005, 11:02 PM
I thought pacers were sold on tinsley and he wanted to start

hummmm

ducks
07-24-2005, 11:03 PM
you know I read bird did not want to keep highstrung jackson,oneal, artest and tinsley are on the same team

I wonder if tinsley is avaible (not that I want him on the spurs)

ducks
07-24-2005, 11:04 PM
I read larry bird was pleased with artest work and they are trying him at the 4
to me that means they want to keep him for now
his value would have to be low anyhow though

timvp
07-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Interesting. I wonder if Tinsley will get traded now. Jasikevicius has always said he wants to start.

We'll see how he does.

Solid D
07-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Interesting turn of events. Larry Bird loves this guy. They drafted Lorbek and Danny Graves too. Goodness!

timvp
07-24-2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.covers.com/images/2005/graves_danny050328.jpg
The Next Larry Bird?

:)

ducks
07-24-2005, 11:14 PM
you know him joining the pacers mean that he is not just jumping to a team like the spurs so he can rid the ride to a ring
I respect that
but damm 4 million for a nba rookie

wanting for agentina to bitch about how cheap the spurs are

ace3g
07-24-2005, 11:16 PM
he wouldnt join the spurs even if he wanted to, he wanted to start if he came to the nba; and trust me he wouldnt start if he joined the spurs

ace3g
07-24-2005, 11:16 PM
that makes the pacers alot tougher next season, if he pans out

Solid D
07-24-2005, 11:24 PM
http://www.covers.com/images/2005/graves_danny050328.jpg
The Next Larry Bird?
:)

Oops, been watching too much baseball. I meant Danny Granger. :lol

SequSpur
07-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Finally somebody else not from Texas taking foreigners and putting them to good use.

TheWriter
07-25-2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_shane_heal.jpg

Part II.

Leetonidas
07-25-2005, 12:46 AM
The Pacers are looking a whole lot better.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 12:48 AM
It's funny because the Cavs were backing off of him because everybody thought he was going to Utah. I wonder what point guard the Jazz will target next. I guess Earl Watson.

TheWriter
07-25-2005, 12:49 AM
The Pacers are looking a whole lot better.

They are? How?

They lose Miller, might trade Artest, and add Shane Heal part II.

Explain how that makes them a whole lot better?

T Park
07-25-2005, 12:58 AM
The Pacers are looking a whole lot better

When did they get a bench?

TheWriter
07-25-2005, 01:01 AM

David Harrison is gonna school everyone!! [/Pooh]

ace3g
07-25-2005, 01:02 AM
the pacers have always been a strong team in the Eastern Conference, last season proved that, I mean after the Detroit Brawl, Indiana still pulled together a decent season

TheWriter
07-25-2005, 01:03 AM
the pacers have always been a strong team in the Eastern Conference, last season proved that, I mean after the Detroit Brawl, Indiana still pulled together a decent season

In the east.

Yeah.

Leetonidas
07-25-2005, 01:18 AM

When did Phoenix ever have a bench last season? They got 62 wins out of it.

TheWriter
07-25-2005, 01:20 AM
When did Phoenix ever have a bench last season? They got 62 wins out of it.

Sun starters >>>> Pacer starters.

Don't compare the Suns and Pacers.

But then the Suns defense was exposed and we knocked them out in 5.

timvp
07-25-2005, 01:22 AM
The Pacers are going to be a lot better this season. They'll have O'Neal and Artest for the whole season. SJax is a good sidekick. Tinsley and Saras are good point guards. Danny Granger was a solid pick. They have some talent on the bench.

I expect them to certainly be a top three team in the east.

Leetonidas
07-25-2005, 01:24 AM
See, timvp understands.

Another thing though, the Pacers PLAY defense, the Suns don't.

timvp
07-25-2005, 01:26 AM
See, timvp understands.

Another thing though, the Pacers PLAY defense, the Suns don't.

Yes, the Pacers have copied the Spurs' style of defense. Outside of San Antonio and perhaps Detroit, they're the best defensive team in the league.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Interesting thing is that the Pacers now have 14 guys on their roster without re-signing Dale Davis or James Jones.

Leetonidas
07-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Interesting thing is that the Pacers now have 14 guys on their roster without re-signing Dale Davis or James Jones.

That may give the Spurs more hope in signing James Jones. :)

TheWriter
07-25-2005, 01:36 AM
I expect them to certainly be a top three team in the east.

I do too, I had them top three (3rd) this past year even with all that stuff that happened.

But they're not better than the Pistons nor are they better than anyone in the top 3-4 in the west.

Adding Jasik will not put them anywhere near over the top. They may give the Heat a run for their money but the Pistons will still own them.

caŽlo
07-25-2005, 03:08 AM
"It really came down to who he could win a championship with next year," Neusted told ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2115697

:smokin

Solid D
07-25-2005, 06:08 AM
The Pacers lost Reggie Miller and their defensive assistant coach Mike Brown, but they could still be a 60 win team.

Jack moves back to the 2-guard and Artest returns at the 3. O'Neal and Foster in the pivot and Tinsley or Saras @ lead guard. David Harrison actually was the Pacers 2nd leading scorer (14.8 ppg) in Summer League next to Artest according to the posted stats, although his rebounds looked less than spectacular.

They now add Granger to a bench with Croshere, Bender, Pollard, Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson...without even counting Erazem Lorbek at this point.

waly.mg
07-25-2005, 08:25 AM
you know him joining the pacers mean that he is not just jumping to a team like the spurs so he can rid the ride to a ring
I respect that
but damm 4 million for a nba rookie

wanting for agentina to bitch about how cheap the spurs are

4 Million for a Top PG in Europe is good, but a Top PF Too, but the spurs don´t have the money or the Cap

Spurologist
07-25-2005, 08:39 AM
I think he would have fit better in Cleveland. He could complement Lebron a lot better at the pg position. They need a shooter and surunus would have provided that for them. Lebron could have averaged a double double if their so called perimeter could have been more consistent with their outside shooting. You can't dare help off surunus or it's SPLASH. Cavs needed shooting and Hughes isn't going to provide that consistently. What happened to their high draft pick Luke Jackson? He hardly got any playing time last season.

Jimcs50
07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Indy is now the best team in the NBA.

They will win it all, no doubt about it.

Solid D
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
What happened to their high draft pick Luke Jackson? He hardly got any playing time last season.

Herniated disk and pinched nerve in his back. It started bothering Luke last summer and he decided to shut it down and have surgery in January/Feb. timeframe.

He did okay in Summer League.

caŽlo
07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Dude, they almost beat the Pistons who almost beat us.

almost... :)

Jimcs50
07-25-2005, 12:25 PM
almost... :)

They also were w/o Artest.

Indy was by far the best team in the East prior to the fight.

pooh
07-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Indy now has four PG's in Tins, Jasikevicius, AJ, and Eddie Gill. Someone has got to go. If I had to pick one it would more than likely be Gill. AJ meant a lot to the team the past few years, so he should stay. I don't know how much patience Bird has with Tins, now that he's brought Jasikevicius on board now. Problem is, they may not have enough money now to resign Dale Davis, who did an excellent job filling in for the injured O'Neal. James Jones is more than likely gone as well.

Indy may have lost Reggie, but they're still top two in the East. Artest will stay with Indy. This will be his make or break year with the squad, so he'll be under the microscope extensively. With the pick ups of Granger, Indy is definately a team to watch this coming season.

emveepee
07-28-2005, 06:42 AM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- European star Sarunas Jasikevicius preferred a chance to go for an NBA title with the Indiana Pacers over an opportunity to play alongside one of his best friends with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The 29-year-old point guard, who won three consecutive Euroleague championships, agreed to a three-year deal with the Pacers, his agent, Doug Neustadt, said Monday.

Financial terms weren't disclosed. Jasikevicius cannot sign a contract until terms of the new NBA collective bargaining agreement are finalized.

Pacers spokesman David Benner confirmed that the Pacers were in negotiations with Jasikevicius and that the team intended to offer him a contract once the moratorium ends Thursday.

Neustadt said Jasikevicius also had contract offers from Cleveland, Utah, Seattle and Portland.

He could have agreed to play for Cleveland and joined fellow Lithuanian Zydrunas Ilgauskas, a year after being the best man in Ilgauskas' wedding. Instead, he picked the team with the better championship credentials.

"It was a huge factor," Neustadt said. "He was really looking for a chance to compete in the playoffs, and he sees Indiana as that team."

Jasikevicius should help the Pacers offset the loss of Reggie Miller, who retired after last season. Indiana, knocked out of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals in six games by Detroit, also will get Ron Artest back from suspension next season and will be among the favorites to win it all.

He likely will compete with Jamaal Tinsley and Stephen Jackson for playing time at both guard spots.

Jasikevicius was passed over by NBA general managers the past few years, failing to get a significant contract offer. But the former Maryland guard reopened some eyes after scoring 28 points and making three 3-pointers down the stretch as Lithuania upset the United States last summer in Athens.

Neustadt said Jasikevicius was looking for a new challenge after his success in Europe, where he averaged 15.7 points and 5.3 assists per game in the Euroleague last season. He shot 40 percent from 3-point range and 94 percent from the free throw line.

"When you can win three Euroleague championships in a row, I think it's somewhat convincing," Neustadt said. "He's always been a great player. Some players it just takes longer than others."

But it was a difficult decision not to join Ilgauskas, the Cavaliers' All-Star center who hails from Jasikevicius' hometown of Kaunas.

"It was an extremely tough decision and one he labored over for several days," Neustadt said. "He saw Cleveland as an up-and-coming team and it would have been great to play with 'Z."'

Copyright 2005 Associated Press

Warlord23
07-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Uh-oh, the Pacers look even more dangerous now ..

Foster
O'Neal
Artest
SJax
Sarunas

WalterBenitez
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
...he averaged 15.7 points and 5.3 assists per game in the Euroleague last season. He shot 40 percent from 3-point range and 94 percent from the free throw line.

Those numbers are good, considering that FIBA's games last 40min