PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: uh oh, Westbrick already dunking and participating in practice

AchillesHeel
10-22-2013, 05:18 AM
For the first time since training camp started, the Thunder had its full complement of players for at least a portion of Monday’s practice.Kendrick Perkins, returning from a dislocated left ring finger, was back and is expected to play Tuesday against Phoenix. But the headliner was All-Star point guard Russell Westbrook, who participated in on-court drills with the team for the first time since he had arthroscopic surgery earlier this month.
“There were bits and pieces where Russell participated in practice, so that was good,” coach Scott Brooks said. “It was good to get everybody out there, working together.”
In recent weeks, Westbrook has been seen on the court during the portion of practice open to the media, going through light workouts with the Thunder training staff.
But on Monday, he apparently amped it up. And even in that brief setting, Reggie Jackson, the man who is replacing Westbrook in the starting lineup, seemed to be impressed.
“Oh, man. Russell today…” Jackson said when asked how Westbrook looked, cracking a sly smile. “It’s actually funny. My brother and his brother talk a little before games. His brother told mine that Russell’s probably bouncing better than ever. I had to see it to believe it. One of the dunks (today), he went up and looked like the old Russell, plus some, head at the rim. We’ll be happy when he gets back fully healthy, but it’s good to see him with a smile on his face, being about the team, bouncing back and happy to be back on the court.”
Publicly, OKC’s front office will likely remain cautious in speeding up the timetable or expectations for Westbrook, as they have maintained a understandably cautious stance with their 25-year-old star.
But Jackson’s comments seem to be a promising indication of how Westbrook is coming along.
“He’s doing drill work, not necessarily too much contact,” Jackson continued. “His approach is to get better every day, rehab. He’s been the ultimate professional when it comes to that, so we’ll be happy when he gets back. We want him to have a speedy recovery, but most importantly a full recovery.”

http://newsok.com/article/3896001

http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/blogs/misc/Screen-Shot-2013-10-21-at-1.19.44-PM.png

benefactor
10-22-2013, 05:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJGQz-MBXg

:wakeup

OKC
10-22-2013, 06:50 AM
The troubling aspect of monday's practice report is that Perkins is due back soon, which is unfortunate. Not sure if anyone here has seen or heard much from Steven Adams, but this guy has been a big surprise in preseason, all things considered. I think Perk's job is in serious jeopardy a lot sooner than anyone expected.

OKC
10-22-2013, 07:19 AM
7-0, 255. Big strong body. Runs the floor well, great motor. Soft hands, finishes around the rim well, good passer. Did OKC finally find a decent center?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoREG-3h4Po

Katherine Robinson
10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Between chimpanzee genetics and HGH, I am not surprised at his recovery.

AchillesHeel
10-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Wasn't he supposed to be out like 6-8 weeks counting from the beginning of the season? If he's already practicing with the team and dunking 1 week before the opener, I highly doubt he'll miss more than 2 weeks, barring any setbacks.

I remember when MWP tore his MCL late in the season and came back in like 10 days after surgery. Must be da HGH.

OKC
10-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Wasn't he supposed to be out like 6-8 weeks counting from the beginning of the season? If he's already practicing with the team and dunking 1 week before the opener, I highly doubt he'll miss more than 2 weeks, barring any setbacks.

I remember when MWP tore his MCL late in the season and came back in like 10 days after surgery. Must be da HGH.

I believe 4 weeks of the regular season was the consensus on what he would miss. This second surgery was simply a "clean out", if you will. The ligament was completely healed. He just had some inflamation due to a bad stitch or something.

TIMMYtoZO
10-22-2013, 02:05 PM
:lol OKC fan hyping up another scrub player. OKC needs him to be a star, not a hustle player who can finish plays. :lmao

OKC
10-22-2013, 02:08 PM
:lol OKC fan hyping up another scrub player. OKC needs him to be a star, not a hustle player who can finish plays. :lmao

Hey - if you play center for OKC and you can actually catch the ball and make a layup - you're pretty damn special!

Arnold Toht
10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Would you look at those inbreds.

spurraider21
10-22-2013, 02:42 PM
^Sup 1-timer?

D-Wade
10-22-2013, 02:45 PM
7-0, 255. Big strong body. Runs the floor well, great motor. Soft hands, finishes around the rim well, good passer. Did OKC finally find a decent center?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoREG-3h4Po

Like the fact that his first instinct seems to be to pass it out. Whether that's because he wants to make a good first impression or not TBD... But so many bigs are black holes down there, even talented ones like Z-Bo, who follow their shot 1000 times without the inclination to give it up.

Splits
10-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Looks like a poorman's Splitter.

OKC
10-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like a poorman's Splitter.
He's 19. Simply saying he shows a lot of potential. He's heads above anyone that's been drafted at the center position by okc. There's a good chance Perkins wwill be out of OKC before the season ends. Adams is better than Perkins today.

OKC
10-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Latest news is Westbrook could return within 2 weeks from today