Tim Duncan $15,845,156
Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
Emanuel Ginobili $7,425,000
Radoslav Nesterovic $6,720,000
Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
Brent Barry $4,950,000
Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
Beno Udrih $904,800
Robert Horry (?) ~$4,000,000 (total guess)
Fabricio Oberto ~$2,300,000

That's already about $60M. Dangerously close to the estimated luxury tax threshold.

Just food for thought.

If anyone knows anywhere that Horry's contract amount was listed, please post it.

Sense
07-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Tim Duncan $15,845,156
Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
Brent Barry $4,950,000
Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
Beno Udrih $904,800

That's already about $60M. Dangerously close to the estimated luxury tax threshhold.

Just food for thought.

Let's hope he's not in the committed.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 03:21 AM
It's actually not very much considering the price of centers. But it's too much if he's not going to play and perform.

Sense
07-25-2005, 03:22 AM
What was Buford thinking him signing for that much? That is the only mistake he has made IMO

Yeah, I think he also made that a mistake, look at Scola..

How much money would we be saving, and in return of more talent..

timvp
07-25-2005, 03:33 AM
I believe that Spurs fans might have the future hopes altered by the Holt Cat owned Spurs. Holt championed the implementation of the luxury tax and has at times vowed that he'd never go over it. Even though the rules have be loosened considerably regarding the lux tax (teams over it will be out only the amount they are over, rather than the amount they are over + the lux tax rebate), I still don't believe that Holt is going to be willing to splurge.

That said, I think that the Spurs will do everything they can to stay under the lax tax threshold. With the players Kori listed above, plus the rest of the MLE, plus the LLE and with the re-signing of Devin, the Spurs would push the Spurs into the tax zone. That's just not going to happen under the Holt ownership, IMO.

What can the Spurs do about that? It's tough to say for this season. Unless they aren't going to spend anymore money, it appears that they are destined to go over the threshold.

Will Holt bit the bullet and pay the luxury tax? Given his history, I doubt it. If that is the case, looking at the Spurs' finances long-term, I believe the following is true:

1) Rasho Nesterovic is out of here. He'll probably be traded for a player in the final year of his deal. That would get his salary slot of the books and give the Spurs a player they can use for a year.

But even in that scenario, the player who Rasho is traded for will push the Spurs into the lux tax threshold. That brings me to believe that the Spurs, if they are ordered not to exceed the threshold, will either have to waive him (using the amnesty clause) or trade him to a team with cap room who can absorb most if not all of his contract. Rasho to the a team with cap room for a pick is a trade that comes to mind.

2) The Spurs won't spend too freely the rest of this summer. Using the rest of the MLE ($2.5M), the LLE ($1.7M) and re-signing Devin Brown ($1-2.5M) is unlikely to happen. That is over $5M that the Spurs really can't afford if they are going to try to avoid the lux tax threshold.

I think that means it'll come down to the Spurs using the rest of the MLE or re-signing Devin Brown. I don't think both will occur. Which means, it will either be a perimeter player signed with the rest of the MLE or Devin Brown re-signed. It could very well come down to the much touted decision of Maurice Evans or Devin Brown.

Either way, I don't think the LLE will be used. The Spurs will probably just fill the rest of the roster with minimum contracts. In one way, that makes sense because you only get the LLE once every other year. If the Spurs don't use it this year, they can use it next year.

3) The Spurs will have to juggle the lineup to afford Nazr Mohammed after this season. The only certainty is the Spurs can't afford Rasho and Nazr.

4) Brent Barry is gone after next season. After this coming season, he'll be a 34 year old guard with two years at > $11M left on his contract. Trading him and going with younger, cheaper players will allow the Spurs to afford Nazr and the raises in the contracts of the rest of the team.

The lux tax threshold looks like its going to be somewhere between $59M and $62M. The above total of the players already signed is $59.3M. With the Spurs already on the borderline of the threshold, it's going to be tough to get under it and finish filling out the roster.

In a perfect world, the Spurs wouldn't worry if their salary total was in the mid-$60M range. But under the Holt Cat reign, I highly doubt that is the case.

timvp
07-25-2005, 03:36 AM
That said, my previous post could be moot if either Holt green lights the Spurs to spend at will or the salaries that the rest of the world has aren't accurate. I could see a couple of those contracts being about a million lower than the figures stated. That would help give the Spurs some breathing room.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 03:41 AM
i dont think barry will ever be traded.

I think they would trade him right now for the right deal.

Sense
07-25-2005, 03:44 AM
I think Barry will get traded... he got what he wanted.. a championship and he didn't contribute much..

but it all depends on what he does next year.. if his three comes back and he does a very good job, he might stay here for a few more seasons.

Bruno
07-25-2005, 05:29 AM
Tim Duncan $15,845,156
Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
Brent Barry $4,950,000
Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
Beno Udrih $904,800

That's already about $60M. Dangerously close to the estimated luxury tax threshold.

I think you should add $900,000 for ian. In the old CBA, unsigned first round pick count against the cap and the luxury tax.
Larry Coon's salary FAQ :
Unsigned first round picks are included in team salary immediately upon their selection in the draft. They count as 100% of the scale salary for that pick, unless there is a verbal agreement for a higher salary.

In the new CBA, all teams receive a full share of the escrow. If the luxury tax is 58-59 M$, the real dollar for dollar tax begins at 61-62M$.

In the new CBA, Luxury tax exceptions will be added in some form for minimum salary players. Maybe Spurs will complete the roster with minimum salaries (except for the 4th wingman) because a $2M will cost 4M$ and a 1M$ vet min will cost 1M$. Spurs will not use half of the MLE and the LLE this year.

Marcus Bryant
07-25-2005, 06:34 AM
1st rounders do not count against the cap when they are already under contract with a non-NBA team:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#40

40. What if the team and player can't agree to a contract? What options does the player have? How long does the team keep his draft rights?

The player's options are limited. What happens depends on a number of factors:

If the player is already under contract, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in the team's team salary while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team.

If the player was still eligible to play in college before he was drafted, the team retains the player's draft rights until the draft the player would have entered had he not left college early. For example, if a team drafts a college sophomore in 2001, they retain his draft rights until the date of the 2003 draft. Note that the current NCAA rules state that players lose their NCAA eligibility if they are drafted, so the player could not return or go on to play college ball.

For all other players, the team retains the player's draft rights until the date of the next draft.
In any of the above cases, if the team does not sign the player in the allotted time, the player can enter the next draft. If the team that selects the player in the next draft doesn't sign him either, he beomes a rookie free agent.

When a team signs a first round draft pick in a year other than the year in which he was drafted, the player is signed using the salary scale for the year in which he is signed, not the year he was drafted.

Bruno
07-25-2005, 07:10 AM
1st rounders do not count against the cap when they are already under contract with a non-NBA team:

You' re right. I'm not sure Ian has signed a contract with Le havre but he will sign one for the next year.

yavozerb
07-25-2005, 07:43 AM
-Trade rasho for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. We have Tim, Oberto, Nazi, and even Horry who can play at 5.
-Use 4 million on Finley for a 1 year contract to play sf and sign brown for 1-2 million for 3 year contract with an option a 4th year

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2005, 08:40 AM
I've said repeatedly (and still stand by it) that I think you will see the Spurs go over the tax by roughly 5-6 million.

The new lux tax rules stipulate that ALL teams get a share of the luxury tax, so it's not like staying under is getting the Spurs that financial boom they used to by staying under the threshold.

I figured it out a couple of weeks ago, based on salaries out there (and factoring likely amnesty casualties like Finley and Houston) every NBA team stands to make at least 4 million off the lux tax this year, so I think it would be safe to figure on the Spurs being willing to go at least that much over the threshold, given their prior financial acumen (typically coming withing a couple hundred K of the limit).

spurster
07-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Trading reduces salary only when you trade a longer-term contract for a shorter one. This was one of the benefits of the Nazr-Rose trade. If they let Nazr go after this year, the Spurs can keep salary at around the lux tax level, but if they sign him to an extension, they will go a lot farther into lux tax territory.

Rick Von Braun
07-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Trading reduces salary only when you trade a longer-term contract for a shorter one. This was one of the benefits of the Nazr-Rose trade. If they let Nazr go after this year, the Spurs can keep salary at around the lux tax level, but if they sign him to an extension, they will go a lot farther into lux tax territory. Under the new CBA rules, players' contracts in a trade must be within 25% from each other. That means that the Spurs could save up to ~1.7M if they trade for the right player/contract.

usckk
07-25-2005, 10:04 AM
"3) The Spurs will have to juggle the lineup to afford Nazr Mohammed after this season. The only certainty is the Spurs can't afford Rasho and Nazr. "

I still think its too risky to trade Rasho before we extend Nazr.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I've said repeatedly (and still stand by it) that I think you will see the Spurs go over the tax by roughly 5-6 million

So you agree that they probably won't use the rest of the MLE, the entire LLE, and re-sign Devin?

Pistonfan1
07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I see you guys using whatever cash you have left over nonetheless. It would be stupid to let Devin walk and to not get that sf you guys have been "needing". Whatever you have left of the MLE its gonna be used on somebody.According to many "Spurs fans" they claim if they dont get a SF their as good as done for next year.Go figure.

WalterBenitez
07-25-2005, 10:25 AM
-Trade rasho for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. We have Tim, Oberto, Nazi, and even Horry who can play at 5.
-Use 4 million on Finley for a 1 year contract to play sf and sign brown for 1-2 million for 3 year contract with an option a 4th year

Sounds good if it werent difficult; I think Devin could earn more than than money in FA, Finley perhpas will come to SA because the extra $$$ he'll keep from amnesty clause.

Pistonfan1
07-25-2005, 10:31 AM
4) Brent Barry is gone after next season. After this coming season, he'll be a 36 year old guard with two years at > $11M left on his contract. Trading him and going with younger, cheaper players will allow the Spurs to afford Nazr and the raises in the contracts of the rest of the team.QUOTE]

ummmmmm Brent will be like 34 or so after next season. Not 36.

JUUOT
07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
ok, someone help me.
it seems accepted Nazr is going to cost us more than rasho if extended. so why would we trade rasho and keep him. if salary is a concern and given the small difference between the 2 players why would a solution not be let Nazr walk away next summer?

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
ummmmmm Brent will be like 34 or so after next season. Not 36.

I think that was a typo. I thought I fixed it last night, sorry. He'll be 36 at the end of his contract.

spvrs
07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Not that it makes a difference but my guess is horry's contract starts under 3 million

Jimcs50
07-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Tim Duncan $15,845,156
Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
Brent Barry $4,950,000
Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
Beno Udrih $904,800

Just food for thought.

If anyone knows anywhere that Horry's contract amount was listed, please post it.

I think we are over paying TD...he needs to take a paycut. Also trade Rasho.

Then the Spurs will be set.

CubanMustGo
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
FWIW, today's ESPN insiders lists Rasho as a likely amnesty casualty:

San Antonio Spurs $59M Rasho Nesterovic

The Spurs tried to pawn off Nesterovic to the Blazers for Abdur-Rahim but look as though they're now out of luck. Given where their payroll seems to be heading, they might want to get out of the four years, $30 million left on Nesterovic's deal before it's too late.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 11:50 AM

Side note, I can't access ESPN.com today. It never loads for me. :shrug

waly.mg
07-25-2005, 11:59 AM
I think we are over paying TD...he needs to take a paycut. Also trade Rasho.

Then the Spurs will be set.

TD or TP?

caŽlo
07-25-2005, 11:59 AM
since rashos contract is always in question...

is it possible for him to re-work his contract to a much lower one? (thinking he really wants to play for the spurs for more rings and ass-whoop KG some more)

like take a paycut? in the middle of the contract?

clubalien
07-25-2005, 12:01 PM
extra money earned from championship>going over lux tax a little
barry + rasho for ron artest

possible move barry to point then do
tony parker + rasho for ron artest

since parker probaly has bigger contract
spurs and pacers aren't under cap so we would need another team like hawks under cap in a three way for it to get pulled off

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 12:05 PM
barry + rasho for ron artest

Doesn't work. Barry + Rasho = ~$12M Artest = $6M

tony parker + rasho for ron artest

Still doesn't work. Parker + Rasho = ~$15M Artest still = $6M

usckk
07-25-2005, 12:08 PM

San Antonio Spurs $59M Rasho Nesterovic

The Spurs tried to pawn off Nesterovic to the Blazers for Abdur-Rahim but look as though they're now out of luck. Given where their payroll seems to be heading, they might want to get out of the four years, $30 million left on Nesterovic's deal before it's too late.

That would be stupid. I'm sure the Spurs can find a team to trade him to for SOMETHING.

clubalien
07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Doesn't work. Barry + Rasho = ~$12M Artest = $6M

Still doesn't work. Parker + Rasho = ~$15M Artest still = $6M
hints the we would have to get another teaam involved ;)

clubalien
07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
basicly I am just throwing names out there whatever filler works to get he deal done

players we need to keep
1.manu
2.Tim
other than that whatever works

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Look, if you're going to suggest trades, at least come up with ones that make sense. Indiana isn't going to give away Artest. That's just dumb. Even dumber is thinking they'd take a center and a PG for him when they've got Jermaine down low already and just signed a PG.

Kori - I think Devin will slide into either what's left of the MLE or the LLE for his new contract.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Kori - I think Devin will slide into either what's left of the MLE or the LLE for his new contract.

They have his EB rights. So, are you saying they will use the LLE/remaining MLE on him instead?

2centsworth
07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Kori or anyone who can answer,

How much extra does a team like the spurs earn for winning a championships versus a team that doesn't make the playoffs? Are there bonuses paid to each player through each round of the playoffs?

clubalien
07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
keeep in mind when multiple team are involved what you send out doesn't have to go to the team you recived from

right now ron artest isn't looking to be traded but if we send parker to a team that want him and they send an allstar to pacers

or if ron artest pulls another stunt the pacers might be looking to trade him then

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Kori or anyone who can answer,

How much extra does a team like the spurs earn for winning a championships versus a team that doesn't make the playoffs? Are there bonuses paid to each player through each round of the playoffs?

I found this explanation that I posted in another thread a long time ago.

There's a pool of playoff money for the entire league. (For example for the 2003 playoffs it was $8.75M).

Then there is a certain amount of money from the pool given to teams for regular season achievements (i.e. Best regular season record, Best regular season conference record, etc) and a post season achievements (i.e. making the playoffs, making the second round .... winning the title).

Then it's up to each team how to distribute the money they've received. Each player normal gets one 'share' but the players can vote to give a certain player more shares, they can also choose to give the ballboys, trainers, The Coyote or whatever a share or partial shares as well.

spvrs
07-25-2005, 12:38 PM
I can guarantee you that the spurs aren't going to cut a check for $30 million to Rasho -- it's not even certain that we could.

we aren't the Knicks and we don't have a sugar daddy owner like Cuban or Allen

timvp
07-25-2005, 12:47 PM
You don't cut a $30M check. The team would just pay Rasho like they would normally -- on the same schedule.

I'm against using the amnesty clause to get rid of Rasho, but if the Spurs front office is ordered to not exceed the luxary tax threshold, then it's really the only way for the Spurs to do so.

spvrs
07-25-2005, 12:48 PM
You don't cut a $30M check. The team would just pay Rasho like they would normally -- on the same schedule.
hmmm... interesting. I did not know that. I could see that then

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Kori, I mean that I don't think you'll see SA use the LLE, that I think Devin's new deal will start at the 1.8 million mark, and the Spurs will keep that feather (the LLE) in there hat for next summer for Scola (assuming they want to keep him).

I've also got a funny feeling that Michael Finley will show up in the black and silver, grabbing what we have left of the MLE.

The final move will be signing our Summer League stud Sanders to a minimum contract, and outside of a possible trade of Rasho that's all she wrote for SA this summer.

clubalien
07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
personaly I am in favor of vet min for finely I might change my mind later but if we can get him I think it would be good in a way if we cut rasho and then sign finely it woudl be like trading rasho for finely

I think it is possible that he coudl get more money other places but anything can happen

timvp
07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
I've said repeatedly (and still stand by it) that I think you will see the Spurs go over the tax by roughly 5-6 million.

I want to think that, but I don't. Holt has said he doesn't want to go over the threshold in the past. He's the guy who fought for the tax in the first place, so the Spurs going over it would be a little odd.

wildbill2u
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM

Just food for thought.

undefinedMore food for thought. We have to sign a few more players for the end of the bench. Thank God Beno is under a million. The Spurs FO must be sweating to find some additional players they can afford.

benjirh
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
since rashos contract is always in question...

is it possible for him to re-work his contract to a much lower one? (thinking he really wants to play for the spurs for more rings and ass-whoop KG some more)

like take a paycut? in the middle of the contract?

That is not possible. A player can't rework his contract like in football.

clubalien
07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
hmm can you use a buy out and then after a buy out re up, or is it if you get a buy out then the player has to sign somewhere else

cannot we have mark cuban for an owner so we can pay players haha

pache100
07-25-2005, 02:26 PM
I've also got a funny feeling that Michael Finley will show up in the black and silver, grabbing what we have left of the MLE.

Oh, God...I sure hope not. No Michael Finley!

clubalien
07-25-2005, 02:32 PM
is there a better SF out there you want pache100? or is it one of those never shoudl we sign malone things?

pache100
07-25-2005, 02:34 PM
cannot we have mark cuban for an owner so we can pay players haha

Geez, you guys go from bad to worse...wanting Michael Finley to be a Spur to wanting Mark Cuban for an owner. I sure as heck don't want that over-rated money-soaked jackass clown as an owner of my guys. He's waaaaay more trouble than he's worth.

pache100
07-25-2005, 02:34 PM
is there a better SF out there you want pache100? or is it one of those never shoudl we sign malone things?

I just don't want Michael Finley...don't like the guy at all...I'd entertain some other ideas.

yavozerb
07-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Finley is still a good scorer (much better than glenn robinson) and we can get him very cheaply..The guy stays out of trouble and seems to play hard and is still pretty athletic..Those of you who would take the BIG DOG over Finley are crazy!!!!!!! Oh ya forgot to mention those who would rather Devin over Finley, are crazier!!

Carlos869
07-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Seeing the list of the committed salary, I can only imagine what Manu is thinking about those numbers..

.. tony 8.3 M?
.. Nesterovich 6.7 M?

Not to mentions the salary of the others free agents.

Remember guys, if San Antonio win the championship the next season, Manu will demand a trade.

" I don`t leave San Antonio without another championship", it`s what he says in the ALAMODOME PARADE".

So, 2005-2006 ------> Champions --------> Manu leaves San Antonio.-

Think about it.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Seeing the list of the committed salary, I can only imagine what Manu is thinking about those numbers..

.. tony 8.3 M?
.. Nesterovich 6.7 M?

Remember guys, if San Antonio win the championship the next season, Manu will demand a trade.

" I don`t leave San Antonio without another championship", it`s what he says in the ALAMODOME PARADE".

Think about it.

Why would he leave San Antonio? Even if he got traded to another team, the terms of his contract wouldn't change - he'd still be making the same money. :wtf

Kamnik
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Manu is probably the most popular person in Argentina. (also popular USA)

Imo he can make way more money by other means besides playing basketball.
(commercials etc etc)

I doubt he is a person who wants a fortune stashed away.

7mil a year is hard to spend if you play basketball 300 days a year. :-)

JUUOT
07-25-2005, 05:25 PM
welcome kamnik,

people forget how players can make money in different way and how a living legend in his country will always find stuff to do after he retires.

5ToolMan
07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
1) Rasho Nesterovic is out of here. He'll probably be traded for a player in the final year of his deal. That would get his salary slot of the books and give the Spurs a player they can use for a year.

But even in that scenario, the player who Rasho is traded for will push the Spurs into the lux tax threshold. That brings me to believe that the Spurs, if they are ordered not to exceed the threshold, will either have to waive him (using the amnesty clause) or trade him to a team with cap room who can absorb most if not all of his contract. Rasho to the a team with cap room for a pick is a trade that comes to mind.

You are way out in left field with this one. No way in Hell do the Spurs waive Rasho, with or without the amnesty clause. The amnesty clause would not benifit the Spurs one dime, as it is only a one time benifit for teams CURRENTLY in the luxury tax. This does not include the Spurs. Do you really think the Spurs Management is foolish enough waive Rasho? Consider this move will have the Spurs paying and carrying his full salary over the next several years, while watching this 7 foot player join a top team they have to go through to win titles, with no impact on the other teams cap, and get back with me. LOL!

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 08:48 PM
The amnesty clause would not benifit the Spurs one dime, as it is only a one time benifit for teams CURRENTLY in the luxury tax.

The Spurs currently have $59.3M of payroll with only 10 players signed. The luxury tax threshhold is expected to be around $59-60M and the Spurs still need to fill out their roster. They will definitely be paying luxury tax.

I don't think they'll waive Rasho either, but a lot of people do (See ESPN.com today)

ChumpDumper
07-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Waiving Rasho doesn't make a ton of sense -- especially if we end up paying Nazr the same or more. If you waive Rasho and then spend up to the threshold again, it's like they're paying $7-8 million in taxes until Rasho's deal is up. I can't see Holt and co. doing that either.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2005, 09:24 PM

Think about it.

You're a friggin' dumbass. Manu can't do anything to change the terms of his contract. This isn't the NFL. Are you a Laker troll, Mavs troll, Pistons troll, or just a really clueless Spurs fan?

Think about it

BigDiggyD
07-26-2005, 11:29 PM
As usual I am late to the game but I have to put in my 2 cents.

Obviously until the CBA is signed, sealed, and delivered, this is all based on the rumors and details that have made the rounds. If they are true, it does seem to change the landscape of the luxury tax rule and quite possibly mean that Holt and Co. will be more open to exceeding the threshold.

1) All teams recieve full share of escrow tax and some share of luxury tax collections - In years past the bulk went to teams under the tax threshold. This meant that if you went just a hair over the line you not only paid taxes on the amount you went over but you also lost a significant amount of money in lost distributions. (3 million over line, 3 million paid in taxes, 9 million in lost tax refund = 15 million lost for 3 million investment) Now everyone gets their share of the escrow tax and some currently unknown amount of luxury tax regardless of where you fall on the line. No details on if all the money will be spread evenly or if there will be a formula to the distributions.

2) Luxury tax exemptions for minimum contract players - Its rumored that minimum contract players do not count towards your luxury tax number.

I have our current cap # at about $57,875,985. The rumored luxury tax threshold is at about 60-62 million. So we are looking at about 2-4 million left under the luxury cap.

Here is the breakdown I have for calculated for contracts

Tim Duncan $15,845,157.00

Tony Parker $8,380,953.00

Emanuel Ginobili $7,428,938.00

Radoslav Nesterovic $6,720,000.00

Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000.00

Brent Barry $4,691,390.00

Bruce Bowen $3,375,000.00

Robert Horry $2,714,932.00

Fabricio Oberto(MLE) $2,314,815.00

Beno Udrih $904,800.00

Now I base Horry's # off of this article (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/12084187.htm). Then I saw Horry in an interview were he said he took less than the Mavericks offered to stay with the Spurs. Now rather than speculate what that was I just went with the 3yr/9mill. I suppose its possible he took less overall but more in the front end of the contract which would kill my estimate but its what I have to go on.

So right now we have 10 players under contract. We are obligated to have 14. I figure we go with what I hear is still the max which is 15. Lets assume we use the remainder of the MLE (2.3-2.7mill?) on one player the LLE (1.8mill?) on a player and then leaving the final three at verterans minimum (850k?). I will also assume that if they chose to keep Devin Brown it will replace what we would have spent with either the MLE or LLE depending on how much he costs. That would put us at 65mill in cap and 62-62.5mill for tax. Now depending on where the luxury tax mark hits, that would mean the Spurs could be anywhere from about 500K - 2.5mill over the mark making the out of pocket expense, with taxes, anywhere from 65.5-67.5mill. BUT unlike before they would still get a full cut of escrow and some, if not all of their share of luxury tax refund.

Now lets go with the waive Rasho scenario. In this scenario we keep all the other items the same but replace Rasho with a league minimum vet. That would place the cap # at 65.75mill and 55.5mill for tax purposes. No tax owed which means, without looking at what they might be getting back, the difference would be only (easy to say when its not my money) anywhere from almost no difference at all, to about 3million. With odds being a weaker basketball team without Rasho, or something tangible in a trade for Rasho.

Now obviously they could be done going after players of the 1.5-3.0mill caliber and could stock the roster with vet mins and be under either way. I am just trying to show that the hit under the new CBA doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it did under the old CBA and may mean Holt is signing a different tune. Or it could come out on Thursday and be just as bad as before and I wasted all my time http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidrunk.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidrunk.gif)

Sense
07-27-2005, 07:35 AM

.. tony 8.3 M?
.. Nesterovich 6.7 M?

Think about it.

This is what you call a funny post.

:lol :lol