PDA

View Full Version : Andre Miller at the trade deadline

gee
10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
So, assuming:
1. Mills doesn't get the back up spot
2. It goes to CoJo / DeColo and they do a shit job and are still doing a shit job at the trade deadline
3. Denver is shopping Miller at the trade deadline

Would people regard this as being something worth pursuing?
Sure he's old etc - but having a a vet PG who can handle the ball and handle his shit (turnobili) in tight spots would be better than our alternative.

exstatic
10-24-2013, 10:06 PM
So, assuming:
1. Mills doesn't get the back up spot
2. It goes to CoJo / DeColo and they do a shit job and are still doing a shit job at the trade deadline
3. Denver is shopping Miller at the trade deadline

Would people regard this as being something worth pursuing?
Sure he's old etc - but having a a vet PG who can handle the ball and handle his shit (turnobili) in tight spots would be better than our alternative.

Miller's game isn't Spurs oriented. He's a ball dominating PG, and we just need someone to initiate the offense, not use 20 seconds dribbling the ball.. He's a ball stopper, and would make us easier to defense. Our flex offense is not suited to his game.

objective
10-24-2013, 10:20 PM
hard to match salaries. De Colo and Mills wouldn't get it done, it would have to include Ayres or be a 3 for 1 or some other method.

SpurCharger
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Miller does not fit the spurs system...... Plus Miller has like 15 foot range, his jump shot is awful

cd021
10-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Miller does not fit the spurs system...... Plus Miller has like 15 foot range, his jump shot is awful

Yes. But plenty of experience. A good post scorer & For his career has a 7 assists to 2.4 turnover ratio. Last season he averaged nearly 3 assists for every turnover. He shot 48% and averaged 9.6 ppg in 26 minutes.

Having Miller control the ball mostly with the second unit will allow Beli, and Manu to play more off ball and focus more on scoring. He would be a major upgrade over Joseph at this point and wouldn't hurt our cap space next season.

cd021
10-26-2013, 01:11 AM
hard to match salaries. De Colo and Mills wouldn't get it done, it would have to include Ayres or be a 3 for 1 or some other method.

Bonner + De Colo =$5.3 million
Andre Miller=$5.0 million

Lawson and Robinson will eat up most of the guard minutes. He only played 25 minutes a game last season. Given how good Robinson could be in a high paced offense. His minutes are only likely to dip along with his trade value and his patience with his situation.

objective
10-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Pop is not trading Bonner.

Austin_Toros
10-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Even if Miller does not fit the Spurs system he would be able to contribute this season more than De Colo and perhaps more than Joseph and Mills.

exstatic
10-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Even if Miller does not fit the Spurs system he would be able to contribute this season more than De Colo and perhaps more than Joseph and Mills.

They would never sign him. He REALLY doesn't want to play any other way, to the point of open warfare with Nate McMillan in Portland a few years ago. It's not that his skillset couldn't be adapted to our system, it's that he will never do so. He's too f'ing stubborn.

Raven
10-27-2013, 09:20 AM
i wouldn't hate it if he came for free or close to, but it's not the type of trade i am looking into. We should look to upgrade our young core with a big man for when we go into reconstruction. any signing or trading we can do right now, it will not get us any closer to winning it all..

chrhawk
10-27-2013, 09:40 AM
i wouldn't hate it if he came for free or close to, but it's not the type of trade i am looking into. We should look to upgrade our young core with a big man for when we go into reconstruction. any signing or trading we can do right now, it will not get us any closer to winning it all..

I think we're pretty solid at big-man now, Baynes and Ayers have both shown some pretty good things this pre-season. Unless the Pistons make a call offering Greg Monroe I think these are the bigs they go to battle with. If a trade is made I'd look at guys like Lowry, Vasquez or Ariza.

exstatic
10-27-2013, 09:57 AM
I think we're pretty solid at big-man now, Baynes and Ayers have both shown some pretty good things this pre-season. Unless the Pistons make a call offering Greg Monroe I think these are the bigs they go to battle with. If a trade is made I'd look at guys like Lowry, Vasquez or Ariza.

That's the guy I want at the buyout date.

itzsoweezee
10-27-2013, 01:11 PM
The problem with Andre Miller is that he's a terrible locker room guy.

The dude just doesn't understand that he's an average player, at best. He was horrible in Denver last year and still griped that he wasn't getting enough playing time. The same was true in Portland, where he had very vocal disagreements with Coach McMillan. In his mind, Andre Miller is the best pg in the NBA.

On top of that, he's a horrible shooter (which doesn't stop him from shooting, btw).

cd021
10-27-2013, 06:13 PM

The dude just doesn't understand that he's an average player, at best. He was horrible in Denver last year and still griped that he wasn't getting enough playing time. The same was true in Portland, where he had very vocal disagreements with Coach McMillan. In his mind, Andre Miller is the best pg in the NBA.

On top of that, he's a horrible shooter (which doesn't stop him from shooting, btw).

Miller wasn't bad at all last season. 9.5 ppg, 6 apg, 48% FG and a P.E.R of 15.8. in 26 minutes per game. His assist to turnover ratio was 3:1 (better than his career average) He can't shoot but not many people on Denver can. Lawson, Chandler & Galinari are really the only 3pt threats and Chandler was the only one to shoot above 40%3pt. He only attempted 64 3's in 82 games, its not like he's a chucker.

His attitude can be problematic, I'll give you that but he accepted the fact he wasn't going to start because of Lawson and Iggy playing in the back court and was pretty productive. He's vocal and doesn't seem to mind speaking his mind. I wouldn't be opposed to him being a Spur.

cd021
10-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Pop is not trading Bonner.

I'm starting to believe that his salary and his expendablity is a big reason he was brought back. We don't have ,really, any bad contracts but the guys, who are expendable, are on cheap 1 year deals.

Hoops Czar
10-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Miller's game isn't Spurs oriented. He's a ball dominating PG, and we just need someone to initiate the offense, not use 20 seconds dribbling the ball.. He's a ball stopper, and would make us easier to defense. Our flex offense is not suited to his game.

I want NO part of Miller, who will be 38 by seasons end and Denver isn't going to just hand him over to the Spurs for useless spare parts. I do, however find what you say to be interesting. When someone talks about Patty being a ball dominate PG, its the usual prototypical Spurs fan response, " it doesn't matter because Manu and Belinelli will be directing the offense and Patty can just be Patty." Everything you just said could be said about Mills and when his shots not falling, he's a liability. He might win "best in show" among backup PG's, but he's far from polished. CoJo will be fighting with Mills for that backup role deep into March.

Hoops Czar
10-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Unless teams are giving players away at the deadline,, Lowry, Vasquez and Ariza aren't coming here.
The Spurs have Zero assets that other teams want. Make that negative assets.

exstatic
10-27-2013, 09:31 PM
I want NO part of Miller, who will be 38 by seasons end and Denver isn't going to just hand him over to the Spurs for useless spare parts. I do, however find what you say to be interesting. When someone talks about Patty being a ball dominate PG, its the usual prototypical Spurs fan response, " it doesn't matter because Manu and Belinelli will be directing the offense and Patty can just be Patty." Everything you just said could be said about Mills and when his shots not falling, he's a liability. He might win "best in show" among backup PG's, but he's far from polished. CoJo will be fighting with Mills for that backup role deep into March.

I don't think Patty's a PG at all. I consider him a 6'1" SG. The advantage that he has over Miller is that he can actually shoot while playing off Manu and/or Beli. Miller can't shoot, so he's really next to worthless if he isn't dribbling the ball with four other guys standing around watching. The ball won't move, which is death to our offense.

Sean88888
10-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm all for it. Miller is a really smart player and we like smart players. 3" vertical on his jumper but almost never gets blocked. good passer. can take care of the ball.

taps
10-28-2013, 01:25 AM
I know Pop loves him. I think it'd be an amazing fit just seems like a pipe dream

exstatic
10-28-2013, 06:38 AM
I know Pop loves him. I think it'd be an amazing fit just seems like a pipe dream

What? He's openly fought with his coaches before. I doubt Pop "loves" him. He probably had enough of that with Jack last season.

look_at_g_shred
10-28-2013, 08:02 AM
No

cd98
10-28-2013, 09:50 AM
We need to sign him to take the pressure off of Duncan for being the oldest player on the team.

look_at_g_shred
10-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Jimmer fredette? This guy has been on the trading block for sometime now. I don't think we have anything SAC town would want tho!

Captivus
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Jimmer fredette? This guy has been on the trading block for sometime now. I don't think we have anything SAC town would want tho!

Ahhh...The Jimmer...this guy could benefit from shooting with a little more space and time in the spurs.
I would take him for the right price.

cd021
10-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Ahhh...The Jimmer...this guy could benefit from shooting with a little more space and time in the spurs. I would take him for the right price. Is he a PG or another SG parading as PG? If the later Mills already fills the role.

Cry Havoc
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM

He's a 14point 7dime 4 rebound career guy. That's not even close to average. The sheer fact that he's played until he's 38 in the NBA means he's way, way above the "average" watermark in this league. A PER of 15+ is pretty damn solid for a backup point guard.

It's amazing how much hate legitimately *good* players get on these forums. I mean, sure, if I had my druthers, I hope Patty or CoJo have a breakout year and establishes themselves as a solid backup. But if that doesn't happen, whose hands are you going to put the ball in in the WCF or Finals when Parker is on the bench?

Holden_Caulfield
10-28-2013, 12:23 PM
season didnt even start yet :lol

Captivus
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Is he a PG or another SG parading as PG? If the later Mills already fills the role.

He doenst have the handles to be an NBA PG, IMO, Mills is a little better in this aspect.
If I had to choose, I think ill take Fredette over Mills, at this moment, he is a little taller, a little younger, and a better shooter...mmm...idk...its close.
The key here is that the Spurs are better than the Kings, accounting that and how the Jimmer could improve, Ill take him.

cd98
10-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Jimmer will be dropped or cut from Sacramento by next season. No reason to pay a high price for a guy that is on his way out on that team. Could he help the Spurs? I don't know. Sure he can shoot, but his defense is horrendous. Even Bonner can give a bigger battle against an opposing player. He would spread the floor, but I don't think Pop can live with his poor defense.

cd021
10-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Jimmer will be dropped or cut from Sacramento by next season. No reason to pay a high price for a guy that is on his way out on that team. Could he help the Spurs? I don't know. Sure he can shoot, but his defense is horrendous. Even Bonner can give a bigger battle against an opposing player. He would spread the floor, but I don't think Pop can live with his poor defense.

Team option at the end of the season and is currently the 3rd point guard in the rotation Vasquez and Thomas both aren't likely to be overtaken in rotation. He will be cut. He is an odd fit in the league. He apparently isn't really a play maker and he can't defend at a league average level. Great shooting is a fairly average skill it can be replaced.

cd021
10-28-2013, 03:37 PM
He's a 14point 7dime 4 rebound career guy. That's not even close to average. The sheer fact that he's played until he's 38 in the NBA means he's way, way above the "average" watermark in this league. A PER of 15+ is pretty damn solid for a backup point guard.

It's amazing how much hate legitimately *good* players get on these forums. I mean, sure, if I had my druthers, I hope Patty or CoJo have a breakout year and establishes themselves as a solid backup. But if that doesn't happen, whose hands are you going to put the ball in in the WCF or Finals when Parker is on the bench?

I concur. I mentioned the fact he had a very good season last year. He also historically is a very high assist to low turnover player who knows his range, or lack there of. Last season he was better than his career mark averaging 3:1 assist to turnovers. Thats better than Patty or De Colo could do in the same amount of playing time. He can definitely still play.

teazee
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m256t9r

itzsoweezee
10-28-2013, 08:44 PM

There are a lot of mediocre stat-padders in the league. There's a good reason Miller's been on six different teams already in his career. As someone who saw him up close in Portland, he wouldn't make the Spurs better.

chrhawk
10-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Unless teams are giving players away at the deadline,, Lowry, Vasquez and Ariza aren't coming here.
The Spurs have Zero assets that other teams want. Make that negative assets.

Those were just examples of players that they should target. I said nothing of the Spurs possibly being interested in those players. Personally I think they need to see what they have in Joesph and if doesn't show any improvement by mid-point this season, the Spurs should seriously consider making a move for a veteran point-guard.

gee
03-05-2016, 07:26 PM
it's time bitches