PDA

View Full Version : top pocket passers under the age of 25

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 01:12 PM
now that the league has made the shift to a more mobile, dynamic quaterback; i got to wondering, what about the traditional pocket passers? who will represent for the old standard after peyton and tom brady hang up the cleats?

off the top of my head:

1.sam bradford
2. andy dalton
3. matt flynn
4. stafford
5.?

spurraider21
10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
why is Matt Flynn on your list? he has 3 career starts

spurraider21
10-25-2013, 01:25 PM
sadly, the number of effective, young pocket passers has declined, which is why a majority of teams in the NFL need improvements at the position...

teams in search of a long term qb:

Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Texans, Raiders, Eagles, Vikings, Bears (cutler expected to walk), Bucs, Rams (they say bradford is their guy next year, but who knows), Cardinals

thats about 50% of then NFL that is either undecided on or is lacking a franchise QB. the lack of good pocket passers coming out of college is a bad thing for the NFL

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
matt flynn has a few starts but he was awarded a large contract after just a few of those starts. i'm willing to remove him from the list but that would only leave us with 3. i don't even know if stafford is still under 25?

as far as a lack of pocket passing qb's being a bad thing, i disagree obviously. i'd take russell wilson, cam newton and RG3 over sam bradford or dalton any day of the week. this new crop of pocket passing qb has been terrible to say the least lol. none of the new pocket passing qb's have been able to last mainly because they're not intelligent enough to read defenses to make quick decisions with the ball, no mobility to avoid rushes and they just flat out suck.

Raven
10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
why would you count only under 25 old players, brady became a starter when he was like 23-24.. there's plenty of pocket passers in the league, matt ryan, joe flacco and matt stafford are all elite qbs (or borderline elite) that (unlike the running qbs) can play until they are like 40..

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
why would you count only under 25 old players, brady became a starter when he was like 23-24.. there's plenty of pocket passers in the league, matt ryan, joe flacco and matt stafford are all elite qbs (or borderline elite) that (unlike the running qbs) can play until they are like 40..

stop it. flacco, ryan and stafford are not elite. and i bet none of them will be playing at 40

Raven
10-25-2013, 01:42 PM
stop it. flacco, ryan and stafford are not elite. and i bet none of them will be playing at 40

one just won a sb while the other two are obviously elite and there is really no debate. by elite i mean top 8

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 01:50 PM
one just won a sb while the other two are obviously elite and there is really no debate. by elite i mean top 8

uhhh i don't even know how to reply to this bullshit, but aight lol.

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Sam Bradford and RG3 will ultimately end up being garbage because the Big 12 can't produce QB's. Luckily Dalton went to TCU before they joined that NFL QB blackhole of a conference. Wilson is one of the finest game managers we've seen in years, so I hope his running game and defense stay around him. Cum has gotten much better now that Rivera/Shula don't trust him to throw the deep ball nore than a couple times per game. He too has become a game manager thanks to the 2nd best defense in football. His one game over 250 passing yards illustrates the change in philosophy.

As for the "traditional" pocket passing QB, it's kind of cheap to crowbar in that caveat to make a point, tbh. Steve Young and John Elway didn't fit the "traditional" mold either, but we know how they did. Luck and Rodgers are clearly the future of the NFL (with Luck admittedly a lot younger), and although they aren't your quintessential pocket QBs, they don't call their own # very often--you can probably count the amount of designed QB runs on 2 hands throughout the year.

This is why Harbaugh is such a good coach--he won't call designed run plays for Kaepernick because he knows the endgame.

Also, you forgot 2 time SB champion Eli Manning at pocket passer. Nigga can't scramble for shit. Ben is also largely a pocket passer who never does designed runs, just has escapability. Flacco and Ryan are worlds better than any of the 4 you put up there, too.

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 02:05 PM
-Traditional pocket passers won the last 2 SBs and SBMVPs (so common sense tells us it still matters)
-The only black QB to ever win the SB was a traditional pocket passer

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Sam Bradford and RG3 will ultimately end up being garbage because the Big 12 can't produce QB's. Luckily Dalton went to TCU before they joined that NFL QB blackhole of a conference. Wilson is one of the finest game managers we've seen in years, so I hope his running game and defense stay around him. Cum has gotten much better now that Rivera/Shula don't trust him to throw the deep ball nore than a couple times per game. He too has become a game manager thanks to the 2nd best defense in football. His one game over 250 passing yards illustrates the change in philosophy.

As for the "traditional" pocket passing QB, it's kind of cheap to crowbar in that caveat to make a point, tbh. Steve Young and John Elway didn't fit the "traditional" mold either, but we know how they did. Luck and Rodgers are clearly the future of the NFL (with Luck admittedly a lot younger), and although they aren't your quintessential pocket QBs, they don't call their own # very often--you can probably count the amount of designed QB runs on 2 hands throughout the year.

This is why Harbaugh is such a good coach--he won't call designed run plays for Kaepernick because he knows the endgame.

Also, you forgot 2 time SB champion Eli Manning at pocket passer. Nigga can't scramble for shit. Ben is also largely a pocket passer who never does designed runs, just has escapability. Flacco and Ryan are worlds better than any of the 4 you put up there, too.

i agree russy is a great game manager and i think some of these pocket passing qb's need to take a long look in the mirror and humble themselves and realize this isn't college and you can't just stand tall in the pocket for more than 3 seconds patting the ball. nothing wrong at all with being a game manager. if eli won 2 rings being a game manager, why cant russy?

i also agree that luck and rodgers are in the mobile category. so when you look at young mobile qb's vs young pocket passing qb's, the drop off in talent is very large. the pocket passing qb is being phased out unless they can make the transition to game managing.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
-Traditional pocket passers won the last 2 SBs and SBMVPs (so common sense tells us it still matters)
-The only black QB to ever win the SB was a traditional pocket passer

flacco is a bonifide game manager.

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 02:31 PM
flacco is a bonifide game manager.
With the greatest statistical playoff run in NFL history
Eli wasn't game-managing on those 2 SB-winning drives either. The Manningham pass alone is one of the gutsiest, most perfectly thrown passes in SB history

tlongII
10-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Andrew Luck obviously needs to be on there.

Creepn
10-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Andrew Luck obviously needs to be on there.

Breaking your best WR's knees will drop you in rankings tbh. :lol

On the real though, sure Trill didn't add him because he's more of a mobile style quarterback as opposed to Tom Brady.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:10 PM
With the greatest statistical playoff run in NFL history
Eli wasn't game-managing on those 2 SB-winning drives either. The Manningham pass alone is one of the gutsiest, most perfectly thrown passes in SB history

neither of those guys can maintain that elite play for a full season, year in and year out. both of them have been exposed this year without a top defense and run game to fall back on.

that manning pass required no skill, he closed his eyes, chucked the ball in the air and said a little prayer.

johnsmith
10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
All these mobile quarterback conversations crack me up. Everyone talks about how important it is in today's NFL.

Currently, as we speak, the greatest single (regular) season ever by a quarterback is happening.....and he can't run for shit.

johnsmith
10-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh, and it's happening with little to no running game to speak of.

Creepn
10-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I believe Drew Brees should be #1 on that list.

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:15 PM
neither of those guys can maintain that elite play for a full season, year in and year out. both of them have been exposed this year without a top defense and run game to fall back on.

that manning pass required no skill, he closed his eyes, chucked the ball in the air and said a little prayer.
You're thinking of the Tyree pass in 2007, not the one where he stared down a pass rush and dropped it perfectly in Mannigham's hands, beating the safety by a half-second in 2011.

I agree that guys like Flacco, Eli, and even Ben aren't statwhores--but they are 3 of the best and most clutch playoff QB's you will see in your lifetime.

You know who puts up elite #'s year in and year out? Tony Romo

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:17 PM
and one of, if not THE worst secondaries in football. There's no Marshawn Lynch to hand off to, and there's no Sherman, Browner, and Earl Thomas to shut down the opponent's passing game if you're having an off day.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:21 PM
All these mobile quarterback conversations crack me up. Everyone talks about how important it is in today's NFL.

Currently, as we speak, the greatest single (regular) season ever by a quarterback is happening.....and he can't run for shit.

okay and who is going to carry the pocket passing torch when peyton is done? what young qb's who can't run for shit and has little to no run game(even though knowshon is playing pretty good) has the potential to even come close to peyton?

johnsmith
10-25-2013, 03:24 PM
and one of, if not THE worst secondaries in football. There's no Marshawn Lynch to hand off to, and there's no Sherman, Browner, and Earl Thomas to shut down the opponent's passing game if you're having an off day.

I don't think it's the secondary really. I think it's the lack of pass rush (of which there is none), and then the playcalling on defense. We run the worst zones at the worst times over and over again.

The Broncos linebackers are pretty good though.

Raven
10-25-2013, 03:25 PM
okay and who is going to carry the pocket passing torch when peyton is done? what young qb's who can't run for shit and has little to no run game(even though knowshon is playing pretty good) has the potential to even come close to peyton?

should teams draft bad rbs just to prove a point?:lol

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:25 PM
You're thinking of the Tyree pass in 2007, not the one where he stared down a pass rush and dropped it perfectly in Mannigham's hands, beating the safety by a half-second in 2011.

I agree that guys like Flacco, Eli, and even Ben aren't statwhores--but they are 3 of the best and most clutch playoff QB's you will see in your lifetime.

You know who puts up elite #'s year in and year out? Tony Romo

yea i was thinking of the tyree pass. i wont take anyting away from him, flacco or ben's playoff numbers. those guys were blessed to have great coaches, great defenses and a solid run game to rely on. when it comes to managing a game in the playoff's those guys are second to none.

i think the last qb to win the game all on his lonesome was drew brees. no running game, below avg defense and he was dominant the entire game.

johnsmith
10-25-2013, 03:27 PM

So it's only important to be a scrambling quarterback if you're not talking about Manning?

That's fine, but clarify that the best quarterback in the league this season, and the quarterback that is going to shatter all previous passing marks is a statue in the pocket.

After that, ok, scrambling is important I guess. However, Matt Ryan has been awfully impressive....Tom Brady is a pretty good quarterback....Drew Brees is alright I suppose....Aaron Rodgers seems to be doing well....Andrew Luck has fairly impressive career ahead of him....Eli Manning has two super bowls....Rapelisberger is doing ok....Flacco just won one....Phillip Rivers is having a career year.....Alex Smith is 7-0.....and on and on and on and on.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:28 PM
so we don't have 5 pure pocket passing qb's under 25 who are studs??? not 5???! fail thread.

johnsmith
10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
so we don't have 5 pure pocket passing qb's under 25 who are studs??? not 5???! fail thread.

So is Luck not a pocket passer in your book?

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
yea i was thinking of the tyree pass. i wont take anyting away from him, flacco or ben's playoff numbers. those guys were blessed to have great coaches, great defenses and a solid run game to rely on. when it comes to managing a game in the playoff's those guys are second to none.

i think the last qb to win the game all on his lonesome was drew brees. no running game, below avg defense and he was dominant the entire game.
Eli had the 32nd rated rushing attack in the NFL in 2011, and the defense was in the high 20's. Last year Ray Rice was invisible in the SB outside of his tide-turning fumble. The defense collapsed for most of the second half and Flacco kept them afloat with clutch 3rd down dimes and 2 lengthy scoring drives.

If you look at all 5 of those games, the running game was nonexistent in all but Ben's first SB of 2005. Sorry fam, it just doesn't add up.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:33 PM
So it's only important to be a scrambling quarterback if you're not talking about Manning?

That's fine, but clarify that the best quarterback in the league this season, and the quarterback that is going to shatter all previous passing marks is a statue in the pocket.

After that, ok, scrambling is important I guess. However, Matt Ryan has been awfully impressive....Tom Brady is a pretty good quarterback....Drew Brees is alright I suppose....Aaron Rodgers seems to be doing well....Andrew Luck has fairly impressive career ahead of him....Eli Manning has two super bowls....Rapelisberger is doing ok....Flacco just won one....Phillip Rivers is having a career year.....Alex Smith is 7-0.....and on and on and on and on.

okay and what about the "on and on and on and on's" thats what i'm worried about. the guys you named are all vets. the thread is simple. top pocket passing qb's under 25. or just give me the top 5 qb's under 25 who aren't mobile.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:34 PM

he can be at times but not in the traditional sense like peyton, brees and brady. but for the threads sake, we'll say he is. so luck and thats it?

Raven
10-25-2013, 03:38 PM
he can be at times but not in the traditional sense like peyton, brees and brady. but for the threads sake, we'll say he is. so luck and thats it?

tannenhil? glennon i guess..

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Sure, you can set the thread paramaters at whatever you want to get a desired response. I could make a thread that reads: "Top 5 teams where the black QB is the best player on the team" and the answer would be Washington and nobody else....maybe Oakland too since they are just terrible:lol

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Eli had the 32nd rated rushing attack in the NFL in 2011, and the defense was in the high 20's. Last year Ray Rice was invisible in the SB outside of his tide-turning fumble. The defense collapsed for most of the second half and Flacco kept them afloat with clutch 3rd down dimes and 2 lengthy scoring drives.

If you look at all 5 of those games, the running game was nonexistent in all but Ben's first SB of 2005. Sorry fam, it just doesn't add up.

how was the giants D and run game in 2007? the giants teams have a history of being mediocre and limping into the playoffs and then doing the smart thing by making eli manage the games and rely on the D.

big ben is one of my fav qb's of all time but i still think brees was the last non game managing qb to win a superbowl.

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:46 PM
how was the giants D and run game in 2007? the giants teams have a history of being mediocre and limping into the playoffs and then doing the smart thing by making eli manage the games and rely on the D.

big ben is one of my fav qb's of all time but i still think brees was the last non game managing qb to win a superbowl.
Giant D and run game was elite in 2007, but their running game was a complete non-factor in the SB. The defense played excellent, but it still required a GW drive and TD pass from Eli to win.

Who sealed the 2009 SB for the Saints btw when Peyton was driving for the tying score?

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:47 PM
tannenhil? glennon i guess..

:rollin

Sure, you can set the thread paramaters at whatever you want to get a desired response. I could make a thread that reads: "Top 5 teams where the black QB is the best player on the team" and the answer would be Washington and nobody else....maybe Oakland too since they are just terrible:lol

most of the black qb's are still young and coming into their own so its not surprising they're not the best on their teams. i don't think my question of who are the top 5 pocket passing qb's under 25, is asking for too much.

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Breaking your best WR's knees will drop you in rankings tbh. :lol

Karma for cutting his route off in the SB, tbh

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Giant D and run game was elite in 2007, but their running game was a complete non-factor in the SB. The defense played excellent, but it still required a GW drive and TD pass from Eli to win.

Who sealed the 2009 SB for the Saints btw when Peyton was driving for the tying score?

and eli managed the game that last drive like a champ. i won't take that from him. i have no idea who sealed the 09' win for the saints. was it that DB who picked peyton off?

Raven
10-25-2013, 03:52 PM
:rollin

most of the black qb's are still young and coming into their own so its not surprising they're not the best on their teams. i don't think my question of who are the top 5 pocket passing qb's under 25, is asking for too much.

it is when you don't give a clear criteria of what you define as a pocket passing qb..

Chief Brody
10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
and eli managed the game that last drive like a champ. i won't take that from him. i have no idea who sealed the 09' win for the saints. was it that DB who picked peyton off?
:lolI love you bro, nh. To answer your question it was Tracy Porter with the Pick-6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:58 PM
it is when you don't give a clear criteria of what you define as a pocket passing qb..

well use your own definition then.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 03:59 PM
:lolI love you bro, nh. To answer your question it was Tracy Porter with the Pick-6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo

:lol:toast

Raven
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
well use your own definition then.

let's say that the pass:rush ratio should not be lower than 8:1, after that there should be a number of how many passes are thrown from the pocket and how many from outside, but i do not own these numbers. The first one is a basic criteria between monkeyballer and passer more than defining a slowass passer like the absolute elites.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 04:18 PM
let's say that the pass:rush ratio should not be lower than 8:1, after that there should be a number of how many passes are thrown from the pocket and how many from outside, but i do not own these numbers. The first one is a basic criteria between monkeyballer and passer more than defining a slowass passer like the absolute elites.

okay, so who's your top 5 under 25?

Raven
10-25-2013, 04:46 PM
okay, so who's your top 5 under 25?

you do know that's pretty much rookies or sophos right? how can you pick 5 under 25 when that's almost 1/8 of the league and qbs are in their prime from 28 to 35 ? i can name five, more than choosing them as top whatever.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
you do know that's pretty much rookies or sophos right? how can you pick 5 under 25 when that's almost 1/8 of the league and qbs are in their prime from 28 to 35 ? i can name five, more than choosing them as top whatever.

bruh....

Pelicans78
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
I believe Drew Brees should be #1 on that list.

He's 34.

Pelicans78
10-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Rodgers won in 2010 after Brees.

Creepn
10-25-2013, 07:49 PM
He's 34.

Yeah you're right. Forgot about the thread title when I started reading through it.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-25-2013, 08:29 PM

The mobile QB nuthuggers try to claim Luck and Aaron Rogers as non-traditional dual threat QBs.

TrainOfThought5
10-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Morenos stats have been pretty solid the last 3-4 weeks. He has a running game. Its not Terrell Davis, but it aint Brandon Jacobs and Peyton Hillis either.

TrainOfThought5
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
The mobile QB nuthuggers try to claim Luck and Aaron Rogers as non-traditional dual threat QBs.

...... i wouldnt call them a RUNNING quarterback, but i would definitely consider them mobile, even scrambling, ala young Romo.

When i think of pocket passers i think of statuesque passer who are no threat to tuck and run for a first down on third and eight.

TrainOfThought5
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM

Whose better than Cam Newton on the Panthers?

But your point is understood.

Avante
10-25-2013, 11:10 PM
I can't remember a time when we saw so many NCAA teams with black/mobile QB's. Not really talking a runner, but I am talking mobile. Then we see it at the high school level like never before. Yes the days of the statue standing back there (asking a lot out of his line) are coming to an end. With defenders quicker than ever you need somebody back there who has some wheels or Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Drew Brees......good luck with that. That ability to extend a play, a biggie in todays game.

My list of five under 25 has already been mentioned.

I don't see Andrew Luck as a pocket passer,Eli Manning is a pocket passer.

chunticakes
10-25-2013, 11:27 PM
cam newton.

Clipper Nation
10-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Both of them are more mobile than the traditional pocket passer, Luck has put up a fair amount of rushing TD's.... they're not monkeyballers, but they aren't statues either....

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Both of them are more mobile than the traditional pocket passer, Luck has put up a fair amount of rushing TD's.... they're not monkeyballers, but they aren't statues either....
It's hilarious the way black QB lovers try to split hairs like this.

"Aaron Rogers and Andrew Luck are proof you need MOBILITY as a QB!"

By this logic Tom Brady is a mobile QB since he has 7 rushing TDs since 2011.

benefactor
10-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Lot of reaching going on by monkeyball lobbyists in here.

AchillesHeel
10-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Would someone please silence this lippy n!gger and put him in the hotbox? He's begun to ruffle my feathers.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Leonardo-DiCaprio-Cheering-In-Django-Unchained-Gif.gif

Floyd Pacquiao
10-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Stafford and Luck are having a better year than any monkeyballer out there tbh

TrainOfThought5
10-26-2013, 07:01 PM
It's hilarious the way black QB lovers try to split hairs like this.

"Aaron Rogers and Andrew Luck are proof you need MOBILITY as a QB!"

By this logic Tom Brady is a mobile QB since he has 7 rushing TDs since 2011.

anybody can fall forward on a quarterback sneak.

And im not sure why youre so against mobile quarterbacks. ESPECIALLY citing Aaron Rodgers who had to deal with a shoddy Oline last year and dodged as many sacks as he took.

spurraider21
10-26-2013, 08:28 PM
who was the last monkeyballer that was the best qb in the NFL? or the last monkeyballer to win a superbowl?

PlayNando
10-26-2013, 08:32 PM
THIS IS REAL FOOTBALL U FKN GRINGOS.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Ricardosanchez.JPG/391px-Ricardosanchez.JPG

Clipper Nation
10-26-2013, 09:00 PM
:lol Soccer
:lol Pussy-ass third-world "sport"
:lol Only popular because it's cheap to play

spurraider21
10-26-2013, 09:26 PM
:lol Soccer
:lol Pussy-ass third-world "sport"
:lol Only popular because it's cheap to play
:lol mexicans

Trill Clinton
10-27-2013, 08:20 AM
who was the last monkeyballer that was the best qb in the NFL? or the last monkeyballer to win a superbowl?

all that is about to change doggie. the change of the qb position is happening and there is nothing white america can do but accept it or find another sport to take football's place lol. these young pocket passing qb's are trash while the young mobile qb's are doing work. http://i44.tinypic.com/207uzog.png

spurraider21
10-27-2013, 12:23 PM
all that is about to change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy8N0PGvq8A