PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Dwight Howard says Dark Knight Rises inspired him to leave LA

Thebesteva
10-28-2013, 12:31 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/rockets/2013/10/18/dwight-howard-superman-batman-james-harden-houston/3006891/

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard might be known as "Superman," but he'll be drawing inspiration from another superhero during his debut season with the Houston Rockets: Batman.And isn't that ironic? The 27-year-old whose physical feats in his early NBA years were like something out of a DC Comic — the bounding leaps, bulging muscles and extraordinary feats — is now using its stories for spiritual guidance.
As he sits on a couch inside Toyota Center, which he now calls his basketball home, discussing his decision to leave the Los Angeles Lakers that was so hard to make but so easy to understand, he recalls the words that rang so true.

"I actually wrote (them) down and can tell it to you — it's from Batman," Howard tells USA TODAY Sports. "Batman and Alfred were having a discussion (in the 2012 Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises), and Batman didn't like what was going on and he felt like the best thing he could do was just hide.
"Alfred told him, 'You have to endure it. You have to take it. People will hate you for it, but that's the point of being a legend. You can be that outcast. You can make the choice that no one else can make, and that's the right choice.' "
The choice to leave one of the NBA's most storied franchises.

"I kind of took that with me in this situation in L.A.," he continues. "It was hard, something that most people wouldn't have done, because they're looking at the whole situation and people are going to think that I'm running (from the pressure), and people are going to think this or that.
"But I'm like, 'Man, I want to be this legend, I want to be at the top. So I have to endure all that hate, all that criticism. I have to take it, and that's what's going to make me the person and the player I am.' "
Much like the Rockets themselves, Howard sees that scene as a perfect fit for his story. The protagonist plays the part of antagonist for the good of the masses — in this case Rockets fans who are so hopeful that they can enjoy a championship for the first time since back-to-back titles in 1994 and 1995.

Over time, Howard thinks, people will see why the move should be praised: Because he left an extra $30 million behind in Los Angeles in order to pursue a title now, and because — after all those justifiable claims that he had become someone who was putting his business interests ahead of basketball — he is eschewing the Hollywood spotlight that never lived up to its allure.

"As you get older, you start to think about the business side of things, and not just basketball," Howard says. "And the first couple years, it was all about basketball and growing. And then, just a little bit of business and marketing and sales and all that stuff started to come in, and the mind-set wasn't just basketball anymore.
"It was basketball growing the business and making more money — all that stuff. Sometimes that can cloud the basketball if you let it. A lot of people were in my ear (during his Orlando Magic days) about being in a bigger place and bringing more dollars in and all that stuff. ... But I started realizing that you never can despise small beginnings. Everything in Orlando came from little Orlando, and I looked at a guy like Kevin Durant in Oklahoma City, and look what he has done just being there."

http://31.media.tumblr.com/436fe3da17b0e357e4ddf5db8116454a/tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif

lefty
10-28-2013, 12:32 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOf_d49CEAAJ_j4.jpg:large

Thebesteva
10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/9e/99e2423c-db2c-11e2-ac38-001a4bcf6878/51c5869220862.image.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2013, 12:36 AM
i assume baynes is going to beat him

lefty
10-28-2013, 12:38 AM
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/9e/99e2423c-db2c-11e2-ac38-001a4bcf6878/51c5869220862.image.jpg
Was that pic taken before or after sweeping the Lakers ?

ElNono
gEhQ4SQ_9Sk

CitizenDwayne
When all else fails, take advice from a Batman movie.

Baseline
10-28-2013, 01:32 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/rockets/2013/10/18/dwight-howard-superman-batman-james-harden-houston/3006891/

http://31.media.tumblr.com/436fe3da17b0e357e4ddf5db8116454a/tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif Ain't no nobody likes playing with K. Bryant. Nobody.

Clipper Nation
10-28-2013, 01:34 AM
In other words, Batman inspired Dwight to stop being MVPau's Robin and get away from Alfred (Kirby) :lol

LkrFan
10-28-2013, 02:26 AM
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/9e/99e2423c-db2c-11e2-ac38-001a4bcf6878/51c5869220862.image.jpgThe Consoling! BWAHAHAHA! :lol

AchillesHeel
10-28-2013, 02:30 AM
http://oi35.tinypic.com/25qvko9.jpg

scanry
10-28-2013, 04:17 AM
Sad looking article.

ambchang
10-28-2013, 06:28 AM
In other words, Batman inspired Dwight to stop being MVPau's Robin and get away from Alfred (Kirby) :lol

Isn't Kobe bane? Set out to destroy la with a woman controlling/whipping him.

Koolaid_Man
10-28-2013, 06:54 AM
When all else fails, take advice from a Batman movie.

:lmao maybe Mark Cuban just needed to portray Dwight as Batman in the cartoon he created for Dwight...:lol

Calispursfan11
10-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Aaron Bayne will break him

RsxPiimp
10-28-2013, 08:49 AM
good grief, taking an inspiration from a comic book character and to make it worse, its from a well known homo like Alfred the butler :lmao

OKC
10-28-2013, 08:53 AM
As I've said before, Dwight Howard has the mindset of a 12 year old. This further solidifies my opinion. I've never seen a player that concentrates on absolutely everything except actually playing.

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 09:01 AM

Reaching. TBh, if that doesnt make you scoff at this dudes mental makeup ... don't know else to say ... Batman helped you solidfiy that decision? GTFO.

Look Im gonna be honest. I Wanted Dwight back ... But not at max salary. Said it here and on LG. SO in that case, Im glad he left. Only Lebron and Durant deserve a max deal in the new CBA. Just irritated we got nada.

I like harden (SOCAL baller Artesia HS IIRC) and Parsons. But I cannot root for McHale and this fraud. Love the dream, Clyde Moses Houston is a good franchise and I enjoy the city whenever I visit. some passionate fans out there. And beautiful women.

But I am rooting for this clown to fail miserably. Call me salty I don't care. I never BEGGED for him to stay or for Lakers to trade for him. TBH The VETO bothers me more. Because at least Paul though a flopper aint a phony.
And the fact this cat makes more than Lebron is a travesty. Whatever failings Lebron had mentally before he rang ... he is Bird/Magic/MJ compared to the baby-makin' clown.

So yes I said it. I don't like him. And I am not gonna hide my disdain (like Amb has for Kobe) and say It's just cuz because of stats or media overrating him. I dont like his punk-ass. and freely admit it. No I don' know him. And I tried to look the other way after his press conference when he denied the knife he plunged in SVG's back. He just rubs me the wrong way.

Though I will try to be objective with my takes as I always am despite being a huge Laker fan, I'm man enough to admit I can't stand Dwight.

Indazone
10-28-2013, 09:08 AM
This entire forum has changed into the Lakers cuckold forum. You crybabies aren't even making the playoffs imo. c'ya at Kobe's Broken Knee!

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2013, 09:10 AM
This entire forum has changed into the Lakers cuckold forum. You crybabies aren't even making the playoffs imo. c'ya at Kobe's Broken Knee!

:lmao, tbh..

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 09:14 AM

We may not. Doesn't change his mental makeup. Lucky for yall Harden will be taking the key shots and his flameout vs. the Heat was an aberration (I think). If Rox could win but Dwight fail ... I would be cool with it. Exciting young team.

But I hope yall succeed (regular season) only to be failed by a bricked FT, foul out, a stripped ball on a failed post move or a paternity scandal when you need Dwight most.

Dwight isnt the hero you want him to be ... but by paying him the max, he will be the one you "deserve" ...

Brazil
10-28-2013, 09:15 AM
how dumb howard is for being inspired by a batman movie ? :lmao

Clipper Nation
10-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Reaching. TBh, if that doesnt make you scoff at this dudes mental makeup ... don't know else to say ... Batman helped you solidfiy that decision? GTFO.

Look Im gonna be honest. I Wanted Dwight back ... But not at max salary. Said it here and on LG. SO in that case, Im glad he left. Only Lebron and Durant deserve a max deal in the new CBA. Just irritated we got nada.

I like harden (SOCAL baller Artesia HS IIRC) and Parsons. But I cannot root for McHale and this fraud. Love the dream, Clyde Moses Houston is a good franchise and I enjoy the city whenever I visit. some passionate fans out there. And beautiful women.

But I am rooting for this clown to fail miserably. Call me salty I don't care. I never BEGGED for him to stay or for Lakers to trade for him. TBH The VETO bothers me more. Because at least Paul though a flopper aint a phony.
And the fact this cat makes more than Lebron is a travesty. Whatever failings Lebron had mentally before he rang ... he is Bird/Magic/MJ compared to the baby-makin' clown.

So yes I said it. I don't like him. And I am not gonna hide my disdain (like Amb has for Kobe) and say It's just cuz because of stats or media overrating him. I dont like his punk-ass. and freely admit it. No I don' know him. And I tried to look the other way after his press conference when he denied the knife he plunged in SVG's back. He just rubs me the wrong way.

Though I will try to be objective with my takes as I always am despite being a huge Laker fan, I'm man enough to admit I can't stand Dwight.
Real talk, I agree with you, Dwight's a complete pussy and immature, tbh... other stars around the league are grown-ass men, but Dwight still acts like he's 12 :lol

You can't deny that some Lakerfan are clearly salty over The Rejection, though....

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Real talk, I agree with you, Dwight's a complete pussy and immature, tbh... other stars around the league are grown-ass men, but Dwight still acts like he's 12 :lol

You can't deny that some Lakerfan are clearly salty over The Rejection, though....

no doubt. But the veto hurt more (for me at least) look at what Paul has done for dem Clips ...

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Paul is not worth max (imho) but more deserving than Dwight and it's not close.

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2013, 09:32 AM
howard probably prefers harden to ballhog then seeing kome ball hog and getting all the credit for wins while pointing the fingers for the blame

harden will be different, he will man up for fail or accomplishments,

Michael Jordan.
10-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Indazone, gettin all Indatlakerazz.

Michael Jordan.
10-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Real shit, Lakerfan still being salty over Dwight just shows how irrelevant they have become.

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 09:50 AM
howard probably prefers harden to ballhog then seeing kome ball hog and getting all the credit for wins while pointing the fingers for the blame

harden will be different, he will man up for fail or accomplishments,

He man up for his disappearance vs. the Heat? Real, talk ...not sure. Kid owned Spurs but pissed the bed in the Finals.

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 09:52 AM
And liek I said I wouldnt say salty but if that's what it is so be it. Don't like him. PERIOD. Not for leaving but for being a phony. Shaq was lazy but never fake. Pau may be soft but is real. Kobe is a egotist asshole but as REAL as it gets.

Michael Jordan.
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
And liek I said I wouldnt say salty but if that's what it is so be it. Don't like him. PERIOD. Not for leaving but for being a phony. Shaq was lazy but never fake. Pau may be soft but is real. Kobe is a egotist asshole but as REAL as it gets.

:lol now he's a phony? Months ago you said you wanted him back but not at the max. Kobe is so real he snitched on Shaq, Pau, like a little bitch. Snitched on the entire team to Jerry West because they were picking on him. He's so sensitive thatPhil had to criticize him in his office instead of in front of the team. Beta ass faggot.

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 10:10 AM
:lol now he's a phony? Months ago you said you wanted him back but not at the max. Kobe is so real he snitched on Shaq, Pau, like a little bitch. Snitched on the entire team to Jerry West because they were picking on him. He's so sensitive thatPhil had to criticize him in his office instead of in front of the team. Beta ass faggot.

Talking about Kobe as a player. Work ethic and fundamentals. Dwight could of kept popping out babies if he had better post moves and didnt get stripped so often. he is not max player.

Just said Kobe is a egotist asshole but you missed that. I like shaq not ahuge fan but he wasnt phony. LOL Kobe may have acted like Dwight ... what 12 years ago?!

Yep I wanted Dwight back at a non max deal. he is one of the best rebounders and out of bounds shot blockers in the NBA. To act like I would NOT want that back is stupid. I would be the fraud. Plus he can dunk. HE is fake. Kobe is real when it comes to hoops Dwight is a fraud. Just my opinion Mid you can spin it however you want ...

Michael Jordan.
10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Talking about Kobe as a player. Work ethic and fundamentals. Dwight could of kept popping out babies if he had better post moves and didnt get stripped so often. he is not max player.

Just said Kobe is a egotist asshole but you missed that. I like shaq not ahuge fan but he wasnt phony. LOL Kobe may have acted like Dwight ... what 12 years ago?!

Yep I wanted Dwight back at a non max deal. he is one of the best rebounders and out of bounds shot blockers in the NBA. To act like I would NOT want that back is stupid. I would be the fraud. Plus he can dunk. HE is fake. Kobe is real when it comes to hoops Dwight is a fraud. Just my opinion Mid you can spin it however you want ...
That's why everybody is clamoring to play with Kobe, because he is so real? :lmao

He is a mark who tries to act harder than he really is.

Clipper Nation
10-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Shaq and MVPau are real, but Kirby? Dude is the biggest phony in the league, from his fake tough guy underbite, to his strategic quotes about how "clutch" and "competitive" he is interviews, to his fake injuries, and of course, how he takes all the credit for wins and blames everyone else for losses.... his whole persona is a bootleg version of Jordan, tbh....

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Shaq and MVPau are real, but Kirby? Dude is the biggest phony in the league, from his fake tough guy underbite, to his strategic quotes about how "clutch" and "competitive" he is interviews, to his fake injuries, and of course, how he takes all the credit for wins and blames everyone else for losses.... his whole persona is a bootleg version of Jordan, tbh....

agree he did clone MJ the rest is just stuff yall hate. nothing to do with hoops and just media crap. Which is fine.
Yall hate kobe I hate Dwight we are both entitled.
Do you think regurgitating Kobe's flaws wil lmake me retract what I said?
Again, from a "hoops" perspective Kobe is REAL.
Dwight is fake on and off the court.
I dont normally care if shaq or Dwight impregnate Kemp levels of women. or If Kobe cheats on his wife.
Talking hoops Kobe game is authentic though he stole from MJ.
Dwight should steal from Hakeem or Kareem but he cant ...

BTW I dont like Dwight.

Michael Jordan.
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
That makes no sense. You can't be fake on the court. You are who you are.

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 10:44 AM

yes you can. Did you play? you never played with cats scared to take big shots played hot potato to avoid getting fouled? Swats shots out of bounds so they can strut and pose? Guys that fake hustle and accomplish little? Dwight does some of ALL of that. But yet and still he is the best center in the NBA an an amazing athlete, elite rebounder and high level defender if a bit overrated on that end.

again. I dont like Dwight. You hate Kobe. Doesnt have to be rationalized. you dont like my reasons I dont like yours.

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Like harlem back in the day (vs. Kobe) at least I admit I am biased against him.

Michael Jordan.
10-28-2013, 10:52 AM
yes you can. Did you play? you never played with cats scared to take big shots played hot potato to avoid getting fouled? Swats shots out of bounds so they can strut and pose? Guys that fake hustle and accomplish little? Dwight does some of ALL of that. But yet and still he is the best center in the NBA an an amazing athlete, elite rebounder and high level defender if a bit overrated on that end.

again. I dont like Dwight. You hate Kobe. Doesnt have to be rationalized. you dont like my reasons I dont like yours.
Like I said in my previous post. You are who you are on the court. If afraid to take big shots, then its just who you are.

Clipper Nation
10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
You can be fake in some ways, i.e. inflating your stats via Stern handouts, only looking to pass the ball when doing so proves a point to the front office or media, chucking up every shot in the clutch and only making them at a 23% clip while knowing full well that the media and fans' selection bias will make them only remember the few that go in, etc....

Bill_Brasky
10-28-2013, 11:06 AM
#stayD12

Killakobe81
10-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Like I said in my previous post. You are who you are on the court. If afraid to take big shots, then its just who you are.

Well i only like the shotblocking, dunks and boards ...the rest is trash.

Rogue
10-28-2013, 08:14 PM
That movie is shit but at least it didn't inspire him to shoot a killing spree in the cinema