PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Exercise Options on Cory Joseph and Kawhi Leonard

ace3g
10-28-2013, 05:43 PM
San Antonio Spurs @spurs
(http://twitter.com/spurs)Spurs Exercise Options on Cory Joseph and Kawhi Leonard j.mp/1gWo3Lb (http://t.co/Ng67intmX4) #GoSpursGo (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoSpursGo)

Robz4000
10-28-2013, 05:55 PM
:tu

ChumpDumper
10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Must be confident in Joseph or just not concerned about the cap at that point.

Bruno
10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Leonard was an obvious choice.

For Joseph, it was more debatable but $2M isn't that much of money And Joseph has shown some qualities. It takes away some cap space for next season but I don't think Spurs plan was to use it. Joseph's contract also makes it more attractive for Spurs to put him at the backup PG spot over Mills.

Captivus
10-28-2013, 06:08 PM
CoJo could also be of value if same trade options appears.

Holden_Caulfield
10-28-2013, 06:09 PM
not surprised with either tbh

spurraider21
10-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Smart moves. Kawhi for obvious reasons. The brass still has faith in CoJo, he probably should have been in college for 3 years anyway, which would have made him a rookie now. Even if things don't work out, he could be used as a trade assett next year if need be. I think next midseason they will make some swing for the fences trade since it will be Tim and Manu's likely last season

Baam
10-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Cojo is very lucky to have made that much money already...

Spursfan092120
10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Cojo vs. Patty for backup PG duties...Patty's shown a lot in the Preseason.

Baam
10-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Cojo vs. Patty for backup PG duties...Patty's shown a lot in the Preseason.

The fact that it's a real question shows that 2m is overkill for Cojo... When was the last time the Spurs treated a project this well? James Anderson deserved that kind of blind faith more than Cojo...

Baam
10-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Give me a year of Vesely rather than 4 of Cojo is you're ready to burn some money on a project...

exstatic
10-28-2013, 08:27 PM
The fact that it's a real question shows that 2m is overkill for Cojo... When was the last time the Spurs treated a project this well? James Anderson deserved that kind of blind faith more than Cojo...

Anderson had the dreaded fifth metatarsal fracture. Players sometimes never really recover from that. Roddy Beaubois comes to mind.

timtonymanu
10-28-2013, 08:41 PM
No surprise about Leonard. He'll likely get a contract extension when his rookie contract expires.

Not that surprised about Joseph either even though he's been subpar in the preseason. Hes still an interesting prospect and I'm still rooting for him.

TheyCallMePro
10-28-2013, 08:48 PM
No surprise about Leonard. He'll likely get a contract extension when his rookie contract expires.

Not that surprised about Joseph either even though he's been subpar in the preseason. Hes still an interesting prospect and I'm still rooting for him.

When does Leonard's rookie contract expire? At the end of this season? Are we going to have to give him 15-20 million a year to keep him?

SpursIndonesia
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
When does Leonard's rookie contract expire? At the end of this season? Are we going to have to give him 15-20 million a year to keep him?

If he did develop into the third best small forward of the league, how much do you think his actual worth is ? The Spurs would be more than happy to take DeMarcus Cousin's type of salary for Kawhi's.

exstatic
10-28-2013, 09:09 PM

They have him cheap for this season and next. He'll be eligible for an extension next summer, but it won't kick in until after year 4. I'm hoping they get it done, and he never hits the open market. He will be restricted, though, if he does.

DPG21920
10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I am not as high on CoJo as I once was. I was low on him in the draft, impressed by how much he progressed, but the more I watch him now the more I am concerned that he is not good enough to be a very good back up. Mildly surprising to me, regardless of the Spurs cap room plans that they picked this up based on the fact he has not been any where close to consistent enough to win the job outright.

DPG21920
10-28-2013, 09:15 PM
If the cap stays the same next year (~58M), and the Spurs renounce De Colo/Baynes, they should have about 8M in cap space with 9 guys on the roster. That would be 8M to replace Diaw, Bonner, De Colo, Baynes & Mills. Obviously it's no where near certain the Spurs wouldn't make the QO to De Colo/Baynes, but you can see the financial situation shaping up for next year as things stand right now.

Spursfanfromafar
10-29-2013, 12:56 AM
CoJo is lucky that the Spurs are still keeping faith in him. He still has a lot of ways to go to improve and become consistent. Here's hoping the Spurs' reposing faith in him, motivates him to play even better.

Leonard? The sky is the limit for the kid. He is the Spurs' present, future and the next Spurs superstar in the making.

james evans
10-29-2013, 01:02 AM
shannon brown was waived by the wizards today, maybe they can sign him to come off the bench. that would be a good pickup.

cd021
10-29-2013, 01:11 AM

5 years, 60 million. After this season. Unless he absolutely explodes, i'd expect.

cd021
10-29-2013, 01:13 AM
shannon brown was waived by the wizards today, maybe they can sign him to come off the bench. that would be a good pickup.

Would be a very good pickup for the 15th spot. Unless he goes back to the Lakers or signs with the Heat ....then... he can go to hell,

james evans
10-29-2013, 01:15 AM
Would be a very good pickup for the 15th spot. Unless he goes back to the Lakers or signs with the Heat ....then... he can go to hell,
trust me, he aint going back to the lakers. nobody wants to be on that sinking ship right now. and when kobe comes back, u know he's taking every shot he gets his hands on.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-29-2013, 01:17 AM
5 years, 60 million. After this season. Unless he absolutely explodes, i'd expect.

He is signed through next season. That was the point in they picking up the option. He is already under contract for this year.

Leonard I would expect to get the max.

cd021
10-29-2013, 03:18 AM
He is signed through next season. That was the point in they picking up the option. He is already under contract for this year.

Leonard I would expect to get the max.

After 3rd season (end of this season) he is eligible for an extension, If i'm not mistaken. Why would the Spurs give him the max given his play. Holiday got 4 years, 58 million after averaging 19pts and 7 asts,. per game. Hibbert had a monster post season. Those 2 are recent examples. Leonard hasn't averaged more than 13 points per game yet. He has to see a big jump to be worth max level IMO. I see something around 15 ppg and 7 rpg not really worthy of 14 million a year (and doesn't necessarily trajectory that he will be worth that much money after his rookie deal expires)

After the fourth year, if no contract extension has been signed (players with these contracts are eligible after year three),
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salaries#5vdmmRMxiuXA1vDK.99

After the fourth year, if no contract extension has been signed (players with these contracts are eligible after year three),

5 years 60 million after this season would allow the Spurs to keep him for the next 6 season and pay him 12 million annually. If he becomes a star, then it looks like a fantastic deal that doesn't eat up cap space it he doesn't quite get to stardom it but is an above average player, at least it isn't a bad deal either.

cd021
10-29-2013, 03:25 AM
If the cap stays the same next year (~58M), and the Spurs renounce De Colo/Baynes, they should have about 8M in cap space with 9 guys on the roster. That would be 8M to replace Diaw, Bonner, De Colo, Baynes & Mills. Obviously it's no where near certain the Spurs wouldn't make the QO to De Colo/Baynes, but you can see the financial situation shaping up for next year as things stand right now.

I think the CBA says the cap is supposed to jump to at least $60 million. Still It would be hard to imagine the Spurs adding 3-5 new faces in a single off season. I'd assume Diaw would be back at a similar rate. I could see everyone else cut loose and maybe the Spurs draft a domestic player to fill a role and a roster spot on the cheap. Even then the Spurs would have like $4 million in cap space and a couple of exceptions.

objective
10-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Joseph is one lucky guy. Spurs passed on a stud like Butler and Parsons to grab a guy who after two years of health and development is just as likely to be the fourth string point as he is to be the second string.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2013, 03:36 AM
The spurs picked up options on Beno and Mahinmi. Not surprising they'd pick up Joseph's.

spurraider21
10-29-2013, 03:42 AM
i highly doubt they use the QO on De Colo unless he really does something this year. I think picking up CoJo's option was a no brainer as well. Either he develops enough to be a cheap backup pg, or the following year you have a 2 million dollar expiring contract you can throw into a deal if you need to make salaries work

jesterbobman
10-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Kawhi is super obvious. Amongst Sophomores, He's second in both WP48 and xRAPM to Kenneth Faried. Both individual stats have issues, but they indicate he's pretty good.

Cory is basically at/slightly above replacement level, which you should be able to get for the minimum. But He's still young and is likely to be better this year and next. Completely understandable to pick up.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-29-2013, 05:10 AM
After 3rd season (end of this season) he is eligible for an extension, If i'm not mistaken. Why would the Spurs give him the max given his play. Holiday got 4 years, 58 million after averaging 19pts and 7 asts,. per game. Hibbert had a monster post season. Those 2 are recent examples. Leonard hasn't averaged more than 13 points per game yet. He has to see a big jump to be worth max level IMO. I see something around 15 ppg and 7 rpg not really worthy of 14 million a year (and doesn't necessarily trajectory that he will be worth that much money after his rookie deal expires)

5 years 60 million after this season would allow the Spurs to keep him for the next 6 season and pay him 12 million annually. If he becomes a star, then it looks like a fantastic deal that doesn't eat up cap space it he doesn't quite get to stardom it but is an above average player, at least it isn't a bad deal either.

He can sign an extension next season. I agree.

I don't think it is outside of the realm of possibility that he would take less money to stay. There is certainly a precedent. At the same time all of the other top SF in the league are signed long term. James, Durant, George, Anthony, and Deng are locked up.

Anthony will certainly get a max deal next year. Paul George recently signed a super-max deal. These two players are better than Leonard or at least are more marketable.

Batum got $12.5m AAV. Favors got it too. Hayward is looking for the same. Leonard is better than all three.

Jrue Holiday went for 13.5 and 4.5 the season before he got his extension. He signed in the first month the following season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8578806/jrue-holiday-philadelphia-76ers-agree-contract-extension

That is the market. I could see $12m AAV coming out of that. It all depends on his performance next season.

anakha
10-29-2013, 05:25 AM

If the Spurs are looking for a backup SF, it's not too likely they'll go after Brown. Just doesn't have the size.

superbigtime
10-29-2013, 02:34 PM
They oughtta pick up Brown. He's more impactful than maggette or any of the other recent trash Spurs have thrown a uniform on.

Raven
10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
no brainer

Baseline
10-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm livid. 2M for CoJo is absolutely absurd. CoJo should NEVER see the court over Patty. Any vet would be better than CoJo. He was abominable in the Finals.

Mark in Austin
10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm starting to wonder if there is some sort of quid pro quo between the UT athletics dept & Buford. Maybe something to do with his adopted son. No way is Joseph worth an extension. He wasn't even worth a 1st round draft pick.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
The biggest knock on Joseph in the draft was that he should have stayed in school a couple of years. If you were going to draft him then you'd do so planning to pick up his option. This is pretty simple, folks. You don't draft a project without giving it time.

exstatic
10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
The biggest knock on Joseph in the draft was that he should have stayed in school a couple of years. If you were going to draft him then you'd do so planning to pick up his option. This is pretty simple, folks. You don't draft a project without giving it time.

This. He's just completed his sophomore and junior years. We paid him more than UT would have. If he makes as big strides between year two and three as he did between years one and two he'll be worth every penny of that $2M, which, by the way is only about 1/3 of the average NBA salary.

pgardn
10-29-2013, 09:25 PM
This. He's just completed his sophomore and junior years. We paid him more than UT would have. If he makes as big strides between year two and three as he did between years one and two he'll be worth every penny of that $2M, which, by the way is only about 1/3 of the average NBA salary.

He would have regressed playing with Barnes. Awful coach. Any player leaving Texas early is understandable now.