PDA

View Full Version : COULD SCARLETT JOHANSSON WIN AN OSCAR JUST FOR HER VOICE?

Rogue
10-29-2013, 09:31 AM
http://www.hollywood.com/news/movies/55038596/scarlett-johansson-voice-oscar

Scarlett Johansson was just named sexiest woman alive for the second time by Esquire magazine. Her looks earn her starring roles in films and rightfully so. But her acting chops are really getting recognized now in the film Her.What’s most amazing is that Johansson face or body isn’t featured in the movie at all. There is legitimate Oscar talk for her voice.
Yes, her voice.
An Oscar for her voice? Unconventional, yes. Undeserved, well, the jury is out on that. Oscar nominations are still a long time away.
But a nod for a voice performance should not just be dismissed. It’s never happened before, but that could change. Johansson’s chances must be good because her voice is so moving and there is no visibility of her beauty at all.
Director Spike Jonze’s Her premiered at the New York Film Festival recently, generating all this Oscar buzz. In the movie, Joaquin Phoenix’s character falls in love with his computer operating system’s voice, played by Johansson. Unlike an animated film, Johansson doesn’t even have the benefit of facial emotions or body gestures to enhance her performance.
Still, voice work takes skill, otherwise anybody could get in an audio booth and spew words. In Japan, anime vocal talent is as recognizable as any A-lister.
Hopefully, Johansson gets a nod for her work. It’s a novel concept and would be a welcomed addition to Oscar lore, especially if she were to win.

Rogue
10-29-2013, 09:37 AM
It would be very ironic if my goddess won, or got an Oscar nomination for Her tbh. The biggest irony would be that the world's most beautiful woman won her first Oscar (or her first Oscar nomination at least) not for her beauty, but her voice which's usually thought to be shitty and broke (ask Cubansucks). Let's hope she'll win the Oscar though, she's been the best actress in hollywood for many years and an Oscar will pretty well justify her status tbh. Can't wait to change my goddess's name to Oscarlett Johansson :cry

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2013, 09:51 AM
suckn small jew dick will get u anything u want

Rogue
10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
no trash talk in my goddess's threads, please :worthy: :cry

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2013, 10:19 AM
i only drop truth bombs

Rogue
10-29-2013, 09:58 PM
the biggest truth is you're salty because you've never really loved anyone, it's such a wonderful feeling that those dumbasses like yourself will never experience.

CubanSucks
10-29-2013, 11:56 PM
It would be very ironic if my goddess won, or got an Oscar nomination for Her tbh. The biggest irony would be that the world's most beautiful woman won her first Oscar (or her first Oscar nomination at least) not for her beauty, but her voice which's usually thought to be shitty and broke (ask Cubansucks). Let's hope she'll win the Oscar though, she's been the best actress in hollywood for many years and an Oscar will pretty well justify her status tbh. Can't wait to change my goddess's name to Oscarlett Johansson :cry

I swear I was coming in this thread to rip on her. Nice call, I wasn't expecting that

Rogue
11-23-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/and-the-oscar-winner-couldbe-invisible-scarlett-johansson-causes-a-stir-with-her-voice-8959645.html

She is one of Hollywood’s most recognisable faces, yet in her most talked-about role in years she is nowhere to be seen. Last weekend, Scarlett Johansson caused a stir at the Rome Film Festival by picking up the Best Actress Award for her voice work in Spike Jonze’s new film Her. Due for release in UK cinemas in January, the latest surreal fable from the Being John Malkovich director casts the 29-year-old actress as a Siri-like digital personal assistant who begins a relationship with “her” operator, Joaquin Phoenix’s dysfunctional writer.

When the film premiered at the New York Film Festival in October, it garnered strong reviews, The Hollywood Reporter calling it a “probing, inquisitive work of a very high order”. But now, as the awards season begins in earnest, the buzz is centring on its invisible star. Last week, industry bible Variety published a piece imploring Oscar voters to consider Johansson’s performance. “I’m urging [voters] to think outside the box,” says its author, awards editor Tim Gray.
“The idea of a man falling in love with this computerised voice system is pretty far-fetched but she makes it totally real – and also her character becomes deeper and more complex through it, which is so hard to convey without facial expressions. That’s real acting to me.” Indeed, the film’s producer Megan Ellison has tweeted confirmation that Johansson will be eligible for Academy recognition when voting begins at the end of December.
If Johansson does find herself in the frame, it will be the first time that an actor has been nominated for their pipes alone – and it will also throw the spotlight on a historically underappreciated discipline.
Over the years, after all, exceptional and nuanced voice performers have been key to the success of countless classic animations, from Tim Allen and Tom Hanks’s zinging Toy Story double act to jazz musicians Louis Prima and Phil Harris giving larger-than-life voice to musical mammals Baloo and King Louie in The Jungle Book.
Disembodied actors have made an indelible impression in the live-action arena too. In sci-fi, notably: think of James Earl Jones’s heavy-breathing Darth Vader or unknown Canadian actor’s Douglas Rain’s chillingly calm turn as murderous computer HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey. But also less likely genres: last year’s highest international grossing comedy Ted was powered by the potty mouth of director Seth MacFarlane as the furry anti-hero.
“Invisible” parts are going to become increasingly prevalent as a result of technological advances. Chiefly, the development of performance capture technology has seen actors called on to physically inhabit animated roles that would have been conjured up by a computer in the past. The king of this school of acting is Britain’s Andy Serkis, who donned a Lycra suit with motion-tracking dots to bring to life the characters of Gollum in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and rebel chimp leader Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The latter generated a spirited Oscars campaign, with ads headlined “The Time Is Now”, but to no avail.
However, Serkis might well be luckier next time, as Academy voters and punters alike become more open-minded about what constitutes a “performance”. The awards talk for Johansson also comes in a year in which Gravity stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are hotly tipped for roles in which their appearances are mostly restricted to their faces.
So, can a computerised Johansson score that nomination? Gray sincerely hopes so as “it would set a precedent at least,” he says.
And though some have argued for the Oscars to honour voice-over work with its own separate category, he would rather see the intangible slug it out alongside the flesh-and-blood.
“I think people in the industry have to learn to redefine things …. It’s been a really interesting year for film for a lot of reasons and there’s been a lot of pushing of boundaries.”

DMC
11-23-2013, 08:19 PM
I think she could win on just her name alone.

Rogue
11-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Agree, my goddess has been indubitably the best actress in hollywood for 10 years and counting, yet she was always hampered by shitty directors and scripts in the past. I'm really elated about the news that she's going to win her first Oscar (or a nomination at least), even for a supporting role. If she had acted in a great film like Monster's Ball or something similar she would've already won Oscar imho. More often than not, her films are just made to feature her natural inborn beauty and her buxom body, but little else, no connotation or deep thoughts like Monster's Ball. Some people watch and like Monster's Ball for its nude scenes but i think Monster's Ball is a film that you should watch with your heart rather than your eyes imho.