PDA

View Full Version : woman refuses to pass out candy to fat kids on halloween

Trill Clinton
10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/30/obese-halloween-letter/3312537/

A Fargo, N.D., woman says she will give trick-or-treaters that she deems "moderately obese" a letter instead of candy this Halloween.

"I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight. ... I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just 'cause all the other kids are doing it," the woman said in a morning radio interview with Y94. She wouldn't identify herself.

The letter states: "You child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season."

Twitter: Follow reporter Natalie DiBlasio

It continues: "My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits."

North Dakota State University assistant professor of clinical psychology Katie Gordon told Valley News Live in Fargo that the letter could be more emotionally damaging than helpful.

"It's just that kind of thing that for some kids, if they're vulnerable, might trigger major problems," Gordon said. "Even if a child is overweight, they might be very healthy because of what they eat and how they exercise. It's ineffective anyway because it's not likely to help the kid."

DisAsTerBot
10-30-2013, 12:07 PM
how did this even become a story? Did this lady call news stations to announce her intentions?

benefactor
10-30-2013, 12:09 PM
So she doesn't want to make fat kids fatter but she has no problem making skinny kids fat. Sounds legit.

Chief Brody
10-30-2013, 12:20 PM
how did this even become a story? Did this lady call news stations to announce her intentions?
Probably, but as _JaG noted I'm on board with the fat-shaming wave that's sweeping the country

Trill Clinton
10-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Probably, but as _JaG noted I'm on board with the fat-shaming wave that's sweeping the country

Word. There is no excuse for children to be obese. Its abuse and neglect.

Wild Cobra
10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
How about passing out fruits and veggies to the fat kids? Or Slim Fast?

LOL...

Yes, something that shows intent like Slim Fast.

That would be great!

Katherine Robinson
10-30-2013, 12:37 PM
They are getting exercise by going out and getting the candy their parents would have likely just handed to them either way.

Chief Brody
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Exactly. I can't stand looking at fat people in general, but it's gross negligence to put your kid at risk for early onset diabetes and heart problems.

CuckingFunt
10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
How about passing out fruits and veggies to the fat kids?

Or to all the kids.

resistanze
10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
So she doesn't want to make fat kids fatter but she has no problem making skinny kids fat. Sounds legit.

:lol Truth. Bitch is just an attention seeker.

Chief Brody
10-30-2013, 12:51 PM
No, no, no. If we can shame Americans into quitting smoking (still a lot, but seriously cut down over the years), then we can shame them from being fatties. Giving out fruits and veggies on Halloween will make you the Typhoid Mary of the neighborhood. Kids are gonna be kids on that day. If the parents do a lousy job of raising them and can't provide at least a quasi-normal diet, then it is up to society to shame those extra pounds off. I applaud Abercrombie and Fitch for taking the initiative with HS kids. This lady's heart is in the right place, but Halloween is not a day you can win against junk food. Even at 30, I'll wolf down 5-6 of those Reese's peanut butter eggs on Halloween.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
nobody says no to a free meal...

Clipper Nation
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Giving out fruits and veggies on Halloween will make you the Typhoid Mary of the neighborhood.
True, but giving out letters about how fat the kids are is probably not going to do much either, tbh.... like you said, her heart's in the right place, but it's really not her responsibility to parent other people's kids, and there's not really any good way of doing something like this, tbh....

Blake
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM

My guess is some fat kids got the letter of fatness and cried to mom who cried to the news station.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
These days everyone wants their 15 minutes. Used to be you'd just poison the candy and go to sleep knowing you'd made the world a better place. Now everyone wants to be trending topic or some shit. Fucking internet.

FatBeaner
10-30-2013, 02:50 PM
good luck to her house. just try and get between a fat kid and his candy. you'll get what you deserve, fargo bitch!

bigzak25
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
you all some mean muthafuckas. might as well give out raisins you flakes!

Rocky
10-30-2013, 03:20 PM
communists.

Blake
10-30-2013, 03:24 PM
you all some mean muthafuckas. might as well give out raisins you flakes!

Or Christian tracts trying to lead kids to Christ

The Gemini Method
10-30-2013, 03:28 PM
The razor blades in a the Snickers would probably initiate more weight loss than a pamphlet...That's just killin' trees yo.

Suspect
10-30-2013, 03:33 PM
imagine if this was in San Antonio

mrsmaalox
10-30-2013, 03:51 PM
If her convictions are so strong I wonder why she'll call a radio station for attention but won't let herself be identified?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Zak does make a good point. It probably won't even just fat kids that do who knows what to her house. Being perceived as any kind of killjoy is a bad idea around Halloween.

ohmwrecker
10-30-2013, 04:19 PM
More attention whoring.

cantthinkofanything
10-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Pass out fruits and veggies to the fat kids? When does it stop? Am I then supposed to pass out deodorant to the black kids? or rubbers to the gay ones?

Blake
10-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Pass out fruits and veggies to the fat kids? When does it stop? Am I then supposed to pass out deodorant to the black kids? or rubbers to the gay ones?

Christian pamphlets to the gay ones, tbh

DJR210
10-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Were they fat black kids?

Christian pamphlets to the gay ones, tbh

All in one suicide kits, IMHO.

mrsmaalox
10-30-2013, 05:29 PM
She'd be more credible standing against obesity and not passing out any candy than just standing against fat kids.

Spur-Addict
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
You know, everyone wants to be politically correct about stuff like this. "You can't hurt the kids, etc", that I get. But, if you have kids on Jerry Springer, Maury etc weighing 300 pounds, and they turn around and demand free health care for the kids at the expense of others, something has to give.

I for one don't care what this woman wants to do on Halloween, it's her choice. I remember there was a time when people shunned houses that gave out bags of chips tbh. Kids shouldn't be alone while trick or treating anyways, so if they get a piece of broccoli, or a note the kid reads, it's the parents fault anyways. Freedom of speech, it's Amurica. If you send the kids out into the world by themselves, they are going to experience things you like, and don't like, and that's just the way it is.

Do I care that parents fatten kids up with a consistent diet of McDonalds and Snickers? No. Do I care that they now want me to pay for damaging the health of their kids because they consistently gave in to their kids crying for a Reese's and now they have Diabetes? Yes I do. It's like this: I don't give a shit if someone does crack cocaine, but don't turn around and jump behind the wheel and kill someone because you're driving under the influence.

Trill Clinton
10-30-2013, 05:43 PM

you must have missed the 'what does that race smell like' thread. blacks smell like cocoa butterhttp://i39.tinypic.com/2gww8ch.png

Trill Clinton
10-30-2013, 05:45 PM
anyways, i don't see the point in halloween. why not just buy a couple bags of candy, if its that serious, and eat it at home? seems tacky to me to be walking door to door begging for penny candy.

DJR210
10-30-2013, 06:01 PM
you must have missed the 'what does that race smell like' thread. blacks smell like cocoa butterhttp://i39.tinypic.com/2gww8ch.png

Cocoa butter and armpits tbh.

Trill Clinton
10-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Cocoa butter and armpits tbh.

you must live in an impoverished area.

Jacob1983
10-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Fat kids can get around this. They cry to their parents and their parents just buy them candy.

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2013, 02:59 AM
Skinny kids should get candy as a reward for being skinny.

Fat boy
10-31-2013, 06:15 AM

oh STFU and kiss my fat ass.

resistanze
10-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Skinny kids should get candy as a reward for being skinny.

Isn't that how fat kids became fat in the first place?

jag
10-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Isn't that how fat kids became fat in the first place?

No. Fat kids became fat because candy was never a reward, it was just part of a normal meal.