PDA

View Full Version : Javtokas, Sanikidze, Mahinmi, Karalov

snyderman
07-25-2005, 05:55 PM
hey this is my first post so forgive me if its already been done..but what are the chances the spurs will actually ever sign any of the players they have "developing" overseas? Considering we used a first round pick on Mahinmi, wouldn't it make since to put him in the D league, so we could actually see if he improves? :eyebrows

clubalien
07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
ian is going to be the future of the spurs . he is over there because they have devloped him and the spurs belive they did an excellent job

caspian
07-25-2005, 06:04 PM
ian is going to be the future of the spurs . he is over there because they have devloped him and the spurs belive they did an excellent job

This is saying a bit much for what we know. We used a pick on Mahimni because we obviously had no urgent needs and his upside was worth the gamble.

I think it was a great gamble...but it IS a gamble.

snyderman
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
i understand now, but how long do you think it will take to turn an 18 year old former soccer player into a potential starting NBA center?

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
I think Mahinmi and Sanikidze will at least eventually be brought over and given a shot. I think that the Spurs should consider bringing Sanikidze THIS season and put him in the NBDL, especially since he has a player option on his contract in France. I think Mahinmi is still too raw to even be in the NBDL yet. Give him a couple years.

I don't think Javtokas or Karaulov will ever play in the NBA. I might be wrong about Jav .. I don't think I'm wrong about Karaulov.

timvp
07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Welcome.

Javtokas -- It's probably 50/50 on whether he ever comes to the Spurs. It depends how much more he can recover from his injuries. The year to look for him will be next offseason. If he doesn't come then, he'll probably sign a long-term contract overseas.

Sanikidze -- I haven't heard any updated scouting reports on him, but the last I heard he's a good talent. He's still young and the rumor is he's going to stay in France for another season or two. I expect that at some point, he'll make his way to San Antonio. Probably in another two season.

Mahinmi -- Since he's the only first round pick of the four, he's almost guaranteed a chance on the team. I'd expect that to come either next year or the year after. It depends on how fast he develops.

Karaulov -- He played on the summer league team this year and didn't overly impress. He showed some good athleticisim and the ability to block shots, but he's still very raw. He probably has a 20% chance of being an NBA player one day.

Scola#13
07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Pop was saying he believed that Sanikidze was probably the best player he got out of the draft last year. He will probably come over in a few years

JUUOT
07-25-2005, 09:57 PM
- sanikidze and mahinmi are 2 years away. But they are the most certainly of the four to join the spurs and become great contributors ( statistically we should see at least one of the 2 turning great and as a french i know it is mahinmi LOL)

- karaulov could be a good energy guy and training partner as a 4th or 5th BIG on the roster. he brings syze and hustle. ok maybee only 5th...lol contrary to other i think he will come 2 or 3 years before ending his career in europe (sean marks as example)

Javtokas was badly touched by the accident but then miraculously came back and won euro ULEB cup final MVP being his team captain. defintely a strong guy with amazing spirit. He is 25 only, combined with the accident limiting his previous career this guy could join as soon as next season or in 3 or 4 years after dominating europe. (Oberto as an example is 30 and was just recrutited by the spurs) he would be in my opinion a really strong Big to add to the line up.

as you certainly understood i am an optimistic person!!! :elephant

Marcus Bryant
07-26-2005, 07:31 AM
It's nice that the Spurs have some bigman talent overseas. I think both Javtokas and Scola could be called up to be a 3rd or 4th big in the NBA. If Scola's Tau contract continues to be a problem then the Spurs can bring in Javtokas on the cheap if they need a bigman for the bench next summer. It's nice to have that luxury. Karaulov remains the great unknown. I suppose the Spurs got to see what he was about in the RMR. And, of course, the Spurs have their hot young prospect Mahinmi.

Counting those four plus Oberto the Spurs have five international bigmen they've acquired via low draft picks or as a cheap free agent. Three of those are NBA ready and the other two hold some potential.

I can think of worse things.

Rescueone
07-26-2005, 11:08 AM
It's nice that the Spurs have some bigman talent overseas. I think both Javtokas and Scola could be called up to be a 3rd or 4th big in the NBA. If Scola's Tau contract continues to be a problem then the Spurs can bring in Javtokas on the cheap if they need a bigman for the bench next summer. It's nice to have that luxury. Karaulov remains the great unknown. I suppose the Spurs got to see what he was about in the RMR. And, of course, the Spurs have their hot young prospect Mahinmi.

Counting those four plus Oberto the Spurs have five international bigmen they've acquired via low draft picks or as a cheap free agent. Three of those are NBA ready and the other two hold some potential.

I can think of worse things.

This makes Rasho or Nazi ( if he's not extended this year) trade bait!

Bruno
08-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Some bad news about Sanikidze :

He is out for the next season and will have an ankle surgery.

http://www.jdadijon.com/pages_jda_dijon/jda_proa/jda_proa_03.aspx

drivanroca
08-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Bye Sanikidze? :(

picnroll
08-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Ouch. Bablefish

Viktor Sanikidze, hope géorgien arrived to Dijon two seasons ago connait troubles of health for some time but this time the medical examinations delivered their verdict: it will be necessary to operate. Suffering from ankle, Viktor will have thus to be held isolated parquet floors during a long moment, probably even all the season. It is a hard blow for the young person who misses neither of talent nor of ambition.

Solid D
08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Good catch on the (unfortunate) news Bruno. Thanks.

Welcome. I've seen your posts before, Snyderman, so I wouldn't call this your 1st post, although you probably meant it's your first Topic or thread that you've started.

Kori Ellis
08-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Too bad about Sanikidze. Hopefully it won't be a reoccurring problem.