PDA

View Full Version : HR Issue

SequSpur
07-25-2005, 07:17 PM
I am borrowing an employee from another company. A company that I work with. I have no formal agreement in place, just a help you out kind of thing, while I am searching for a new tech.

Well this dude wants to quit and join my clinic full time. I am going to call him back in a little while and tell him the deal.

This position is very hard to fill and if I hired him, it would probably be the best move I have made in over a year.

Puts me in an ethical dilemma............

Here is my plan......

"Bro, resign from your company... work for me for a few weeks in a contract status but full time hours...... after the dust settles in about a month...... we formalize a full time employment position with the company......."

So, what do you all think? Keep this on the down low...... :lol

Duff McCartney
07-25-2005, 07:21 PM
It's business...there are no rules.

IX_Equilibrium
07-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Send the other company a pizza for lunch if they get pissed. That should smooth things over.

MannyIsGod
07-25-2005, 07:24 PM
:lol

It is shady. But at the same point, if the person wants to work with you then they think it is a better situation for them. And since I've been screwed by employers more times than I can count (the laws in this state suck) then I say there's no problem at all.

SequSpur
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I know our clinic is a better situation. We have new equipment, hands off ownership, a down to earth person running the place... :)

I knew this was going to happen when they offered to help.....

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 07:27 PM
It's damn shady.

Does he have a contract with the other company? If he does, it probably states that he can't work in a similar position with another company for a certain period of time after he's no longer working there.

Sequ, it's pretty low life to steal the guy, especially if that company let you "borrow" him. But maybe you can be honest and work out some kind of deal. Or maybe you can just be an ass and sneakily hire him :lol

MannyIsGod
07-25-2005, 07:28 PM
I say do it man. If the tech ends up in a better environment, then it helps both your company and him. The other company should have known better.

Shelly
07-25-2005, 07:30 PM
As long as future employee doesn't have a not to compete clause with his current employer.

My husband is only allowed to take one employee with him when he leaves the place he works for now. It was in his separation contract.

SequSpur
07-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I don't think he is under contract.. Good point, I'll have to ask him to check his HR manual to see if there is any issue with that.

I think the thing to do is just not formally offer him anything and then when his 2 weeks is up, I can use him as a contract tech. He still gets his hours, if they ask.. I just say he is working the same as when he worked for them and I am not aware that he quit..... :lol

timvp
07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
A new tech? Do what all red blooded Americans do ... hire a guy from India for $1 an hour and stop jacking people from other companies.

When he leaves you high an dry don't come here with a sob story. Get some Indian help. It'll be cheaper and you don't have to deal with the drama.

Late.

Mr Dio
07-25-2005, 08:06 PM
But maybe you can be honest and work out some kind of deal.

That sounds like the best idea. You'll sleep better too!
With him on breaks & lunches that is!

SequSpur
07-25-2005, 08:07 PM
http://www.eholidaysindia.com/images/India02.jpg

How about this dude?

He can multitask.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Tell the dude to get fired and then hire him. That's how the Mets were going to get Costanza to work for them.

Clandestino
07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
how much business would you lose if the other company got pissed off? if not much, who gives a fuck.. regardless, it is shady, but you will do what you want to regardless of what others think...

SequSpur
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
how much business would you lose if the other company got pissed off? if not much, who gives a fuck.. regardless, it is shady, but you will do what you want to regardless of what others think...

Zero. Actually it would increase business and profit.

SequSpur
07-25-2005, 08:28 PM

Clandestino
07-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Zero. Actually it would increase business and profit.

then the only problem i see is if he actually has a contract with the other co.. if not, it is just an at will thing and he could quit tomorrow at 8am and be at your place by 830am!