PDA

View Full Version : We still rely on old guys.

TheyCallMePro
11-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Anyone else notice how Tony Parker, Boris Diaw, and Manu Ginobili did ALL the heavy lifting tonight? Danny Green did nothing. Kawhi had no interest in taking a leading role and passed up open shots multiple times, and the team suffered immensely when Patty Mills was in for Parker, and when Baynes and Ayers were in for Diaw or Splitter. The bottom line? Our veteran players (the old guys) are still very much carrying this team.

What in the world is our future going to look like? And what if Tony Parker or Manu gets injured? We'd have absolutely zero play-makers. We've been lucky to hold on to these guys for so long, but the more and more I watch this team, the scarier the outlook looks for the future.

Pop trusted all of 6 players in game 6 and 7 of the Finals. One of them (Gary Neal) is gone. So does that mean were down to 5 in crunch time this year? We played so poorly in game 6 and 7 because our guys were exhausted and we ran them into the ground. I can see that happening again this year too. Ginobili always cracks the starting line-up during the playoffs for a reason. We have no one else we can trust at SG. Same with Parker. There's nobody else that can create on our team. Nobody else can dribble or pass worth a damn besides those two.

I'm happy with the win tonight. And I'm sure I'll be happy when were in the playoffs winning with Parker and Ginobili carrying the heck out of this team. But I wonder what's going to happen when were deep in the playoffs and Parker and Ginobili are playing 40+ minutes every night. I imagine they'll either get injured (like Parker last year) or they'll just be exhausted and play poorly because of it. To be honest, I think the best thing to do right now would be to sit Parker AND Ginobili and make this team play without them for a few games. Let this team get confidence in themselves, which will in turn allow Pop to have confidence in them come playoff time. Because right now, Parker and Ginobili are always saving the day. And in the long run, that'll come back to haunt us, as it did last year come playoff time.

ElNono
11-02-2013, 12:48 AM
How about we enjoy and are appreciative of the "old" fellas while they're around, and worry about the future in the future?.... It's such a gift to watch these guys and this team.

spurraider21
11-02-2013, 12:48 AM
It's nothing new. Get used to it, and appreciate these guys while you can.

spurraider21
11-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Dammit Nono with the stealth post

PlayNando
11-02-2013, 12:51 AM
How about we enjoy and are appreciative of the "old" fellas while they're around, and worry about the future in the future?.... It's such a gift to watch these guys and this team.
Word...............................

Mugen
11-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Teams depend on their stars. Just be happy your star players are TP/Manu/TD and not Swaggy P and Steve Blake tbh.

TXstbobcat
Spurs are 2 - 0 and I am happy with that no matter who is carrying them.

ElNono
Teams depend on their stars. Just be happy your star players are TP/Manu/TD and not Swaggy P and Steve Blake tbh.

:lol

Kool Bob Love
11-02-2013, 12:55 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com//wp-content/gallery/no/kanye-smh-no.gif

Kyuui-Musikq
11-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Typical Spurs win. A privilege to watch basketball players with such high IQs orchestrate a team to a perfect win, intact with all the respective attributes we've come to associate in fundamental Spur's play. Enjoy While You Can!!

T Park
11-02-2013, 12:59 AM
It's game 2. Of 82. Jesus Christ alive you people....

Johnny RIngo
11-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Anyone else notice how Tony Parker, Boris Diaw, and Manu Ginobili did ALL the heavy lifting tonight? Danny Green did nothing. Kawhi had no interest in taking a leading role and passed up open shots multiple times, and the team suffered immensely when Patty Mills was in for Parker, and when Baynes and Ayers were in for Diaw or Splitter. The bottom line? Our veteran players (the old guys) are still very much carrying this team.

What in the world is our future going to look like? And what if Tony Parker or Manu gets injured? We'd have absolutely zero play-makers. We've been lucky to hold on to these guys for so long, but the more and more I watch this team, the scarier the outlook looks for the future.

Pop trusted all of 6 players in game 6 and 7 of the Finals. One of them (Gary Neal) is gone. So does that mean were down to 5 in crunch time this year? We played so poorly in game 6 and 7 because our guys were exhausted and we ran them into the ground. I can see that happening again this year too. Ginobili always cracks the starting line-up during the playoffs for a reason. We have no one else we can trust at SG. Same with Parker. There's nobody else that can create on our team. Nobody else can dribble or pass worth a damn besides those two.

I'm happy with the win tonight. And I'm sure I'll be happy when were in the playoffs winning with Parker and Ginobili carrying the heck out of this team. But I wonder what's going to happen when were deep in the playoffs and Parker and Ginobili are playing 40+ minutes every night. I imagine they'll either get injured (like Parker last year) or they'll just be exhausted and play poorly because of it. To be honest, I think the best thing to do right now would be to sit Parker AND Ginobili and make this team play without them for a few games. Let this team get confidence in themselves, which will in turn allow Pop to have confidence in them come playoff time. Because right now, Parker and Ginobili are always saving the day. And in the long run, that'll come back to haunt us, as it did last year come playoff time.

Not sure what you're talking about. Kawhi was our second best player in the Finals after TD. And Danny set a Finals record for most threes made in a Finals series. It was actually two of our three old guys that let us down(Manu and Parker)

Brunodf
11-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Shocking:rolleyes

TheyCallMePro
11-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Not sure what you're talking about. Kawhi was our second best player in the Finals after TD. And Danny set a Finals record for most threes made in a Finals series. It was actually two of our three old guys that let us down(Manu and Parker)

Danny Green disappeared in game 6 and 7. Kawhi was great I'll admit, but he's still far from being a play-maker on this team. If Manu or Tony aren't there to set him up, he's just as lost as everyone else. He can create for himself, but rarely for anyone else. Tony and Manu are the only players we trust right now with the ball in their hands late. Maybe that can change, but right now they're the only one's who are really creating scoring opportunities (and scoring in general) for this team.

PlayNando
11-02-2013, 01:40 AM
:tu

PlayNando
11-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Some of you guys forget the pathetic chokejob Danny Green gave us in the deciding games 6 and 7. The scrub just disappeared and shot something like 1-for-20. What a joke. He made plenty of threes in the Finals when it didn't really matter, but he curled up into the fetal position and showed his true self when it mattered.

Whisky Dog
11-02-2013, 01:44 AM
I thought it was a good win. On the road without the main defensive center and the team shoots like shit and plays sloppy for almost the entire game. Good teams lose games like that. Elite teams win them.

widowmaker
11-02-2013, 01:44 AM

You want youth move over to golden state. Like if the spurs could trade and drfat to ur liking cause u think u know what needs to happen to win.

Sean Cagney
11-02-2013, 01:45 AM
It's game 2. Of 82. Jesus Christ alive you people....

Whisky Dog
11-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Some of you guys forget the pathetic chokejob Danny Green gave us in the deciding games 6 and 7. The scrub just disappeared and shot something like 1-for-20. What a joke. He made plenty of threes in the Finals when it didn't really matter, but he curled up into the fetal position and showed his true self when it mattered.

I'd say every game of the finals mattered. He didnt adjust well to the adjustments the heat made, but the real issue IMO was Parker being unable to adjust to the heat giving him 1 on 1 attention with Lebron to stay on Green. Parker's the star, he ha to make those plays no matter who's guarding him.

HI-FI
11-02-2013, 01:47 AM
it sucks they're older and can't play lots of minutes, but as said above, least we don't have total idiots who rely on their athleticism or minimal professionalism. Besides, long ass season ahead, there will be plenty of time to see if our "others" can take it to another level.

hyhy
11-02-2013, 02:04 AM
You are just basing it on one game. See the first game? Tony didnt do well, Patty stepped up. They just take turns usually, and its just in this game that the vets stepped up and the rookies played bad. In a game where the vets played bad, the rookies stepped up, like in game 1 against memphis. Whats wrong with that?

racm
11-02-2013, 02:27 AM
You are just basing it on one game. See the first game? Tony didnt do well, Patty stepped up. They just take turns usually, and its just in this game that the vets stepped up and the rookies played bad. In a game where the vets played bad, the rookies stepped up, like in game 1 against memphis. Whats wrong with that?

Just shows how deep SA is tbh. Big 3 out? Whiwhi or Tiago goes HAM. Bench struggling? Enter MVParker.

heyheymymy
11-02-2013, 02:35 AM
I don't know why you're complaining, it's the first week of regular season. Teams are getting conditioned still. This won't even look like the same group in April.

The stars carried the bulk of the load tonight. Isn't that how it works?

mclinejr
11-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Everyone needs to chill out. It's only the beginning of the season.

wildcardX
11-02-2013, 03:25 AM

WOW! People are in full panic mode ALREADY this season. It's like the Spurs are the worst team in the league. Never mind that this team made it to the finals and had a chance of winning the championship, or that they started the season 2-0. Yep, I guess the Clipper fans have already jumped off the cliff after losing to this same Laker team and OKC fans are getting ready to after the beating they took today. Are the Heat fans calling their team old and over the hill this year after losing the Sixers and that they are 1-2?

Johnny RIngo
11-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Danny Green disappeared in game 6 and 7.

So what? Up to that point, Danny was MASSIVELY overachieving. You shouldn't expect anything more from a role player. Up until game 6 and 7, he was our top scorer for the Finals! He was going to eventually come back down to Earth.

Kawhi was great I'll admit, but he's still far from being a play-maker on this team. If Manu or Tony aren't there to set him up, he's just as lost as everyone else. He can create for himself, but rarely for anyone else.

What? Kawhi played like a vet throughout that series. He was awesome and it had nothing to do with Parker or Manu "setting him up"

Tony and Manu are the only players we trust right now with the ball in their hands late. Maybe that can change, but right now they're the only one's who are really creating scoring opportunities (and scoring in general) for this team.

Ginobili was crap all year and the backup PG spot was an issue going into the playoffs. It's the Spurs own fault for putting Ginobili in a position to fail. All the advanced stats reflected Manu's decline...that he was no longer impacting the team like he used to. Pop wrongly trusted Manu to step it up in the playoffs.

Tony wasn't very good in the Finals from an offensive standpoint. Everybody called him the Spurs MVP all year long and his offense failed him in the most important series of the season. Whether you want to put the blame on injuries or the Heat defense, he was disappointing.

Diego20
11-02-2013, 06:33 AM
So what? Up to that point, Danny was MASSIVELY overachieving. You shouldn't expect anything more from a role player. Up until game 6 and 7, he was our top scorer for the Finals! He was going to eventually come back down to Earth.

What? Kawhi played like a vet throughout that series. He was awesome and it had nothing to do with Parker or Manu "setting him up"

Ginobili was crap all year and the backup PG spot was an issue going into the playoffs. It's the Spurs own fault for putting Ginobili in a position to fail. All the advanced stats reflected Manu's decline...that he was no longer impacting the team like he used to. Pop wrongly trusted Manu to step it up in the playoffs.

Tony wasn't very good in the Finals from an offensive standpoint. Everybody called him the Spurs MVP all year long and his offense failed him in the most important series of the season. Whether you want to put the blame on injuries or the Heat defense, he was disappointing.

Dude what you don't understand about Kawhi isn't a play maker? He does less than 2 assists per game. Even TD is more a "play maker" than Kawhi.

Spurious
11-02-2013, 07:38 AM
I can imagine the angst we'd hear from some "fans" if the Spurs suddenly became terrible enough to draft one of these flashy young playmakers everyone is screaming for. Count your blessings that a high-upside guy like Kawhi was available to help the Big 3 stay in the mix for another title.

boutons_deux
11-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Spurs opponents rely on young guys and the young guys lose.

xmas1997
11-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Spurs opponents rely on young guys and the young guys lose.

Lack of experience. Always need good mentors.

Really enjoyed your post in the political forum in the brainwashing thread. Thanks for the insight.
Wish you were there again.

JRHernandez88
11-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Experience. Closers. W's. NEXT... :sleep

Ibleedslvrnblk
11-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Until old stops winning, what are you so worried about? And Parker is 31 yrs old!?!?! When is that considered old? Sheesh! Would you rather have young Parker and the way he played?